The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 15 February 2024, 11:40 AM   #1
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Icon7 My experience at a Breitling boutique

I recently visited my local Breitling boutique here in London and I was happy with the service I received. The place was dead so all the attention of the staff was on us. We spend around 90 minutes in there and not a single soul entered.

They offered drinks for myself and my partner and seemed very accommodating. I asked to try 2-3 watches on and I kind of felt a little bit bad inside me as I had NO desire to buy anything from them only to walk out and lose 30% of its value. They even opened the door for us to leave at the end. I was after the RB1510251B1P1 which I believe looks amazing however I couldn't get over its weight. I really do not like relatively heavy watches. This watch goes for £17,150 and they offered me a watch winder and a handbag as a gift but no discount. Since I can get it brand new with manufacturers warranty for around £12,000 this was an easy walk.
I am not a millionaire so resale value is very important to me as I may one day need to sell it?

Overall I would rate very good my experience even though at times I felt a bit awkward thinking that they are just faking it all the way. At the same time they did look like good genuine dudes so who knows?
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 10:41 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good report. Thanks.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 11:36 PM   #3
Northstar Straps
2024 Pledge Member

Breitling have had a few difficult years but I feel they are on the right track and I expect a resurgence of interest in the brand soon.
Northstar Straps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #4
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar Straps View Post
Breitling have had a few difficult years but I feel they are on the right track and I expect a resurgence of interest in the brand soon.
One thing I didn't like is that they now use lab grown diamonds for their watches. A lab grown diamond pretends to be something that its not.
Old 16 February 2024, 08:34 PM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
One thing I didn't like is that they now use lab grown diamonds for their watches. A lab grown diamond pretends to be something that its not.
I wasn’t aware of that but I’m not surprised being how they are with the new box’s.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 08:38 PM   #6
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
I recently visited my local Breitling boutique here in London and I was happy with the service I received. The place was dead so all the attention of the staff was on us. We spend around 90 minutes in there and not a single soul entered.

They offered drinks for myself and my partner and seemed very accommodating. I asked to try 2-3 watches on and I kind of felt a little bit bad inside me as I had NO desire to buy anything from them only to walk out and lose 30% of its value. They even opened the door for us to leave at the end. I was after the RB1510251B1P1 which I believe looks amazing however I couldn't get over its weight. I really do not like relatively heavy watches. This watch goes for £17,150 and they offered me a watch winder and a handbag as a gift but no discount. Since I can get it brand new with manufacturers warranty for around £12,000 this was an easy walk.
I am not a millionaire so resale value is very important to me as I may one day need to sell it?

Overall I would rate very good my experience even though at times I felt a bit awkward thinking that they are just faking it all the way. At the same time they did look like good genuine dudes so who knows?
Very nice. I have had very nice experiences with the boutique in Orlando and have made several purchases there. Nice gifts and very nice private events. Got a very nice Breitling Christmas tree ornament.

Toronto boutique is awful in my experience. They refused to pull an all gold model out of the case for me to try. I guess they either thought I wasn’t able to make the purchase or was going to run out of the store with it. So I ended up getting it in Orlando.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 10:49 PM   #7
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar Straps View Post
If you look at the recent sales figures the resurgence has already begun! Georges Kearns has revitalized the brand. Not every Breitling fan is appreciative of the directions that he took but the proof is in the pudding, check out the sales figures!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 11:35 PM   #8
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
One thing I didn't like is that they now use lab grown diamonds for their watches.
Would fankly make sense for all watchbrands to use lab grown diamonds
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:01 AM   #9
Northstar Straps
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
If you look at the recent sales figures the resurgence has already begun! Georges Kearns has revitalized the brand. Not every Breitling fan is appreciative of the directions that he took but the proof is in the pudding, check out the sales figures!
They’ve certainly started to catch my eye again.
Northstar Straps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #10
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Would fankly make sense for all watchbrands to use lab grown diamonds
But then using diamonds becomes a bit pointless(from my point of view) if there is no fundamental value to them and its all just for show? Might as well use swarovski stones.

Lab growns have AWFUL resale value and they cost little to begin with so having a lab grown is like having a good replica Rolex. Yes it will look amazing but it won't be the real thing.
Old 17 February 2024, 11:13 PM   #11
Paul K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chemically identical. And without the human rights violations and environmental damage. Everyone I k now that sells lab-created is quite clear on their source.
Paul K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 05:06 PM   #12
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
But then using diamonds becomes a bit pointless(from my point of view) if there is no fundamental value to them and its all just for show? Might as well use swarovski stones.

Lab growns have AWFUL resale value and they cost little to begin with so having a lab grown is like having a good replica Rolex. Yes it will look amazing but it won't be the real thing.

Arguably, aren't diamonds 100% for show? (at the retail level). A replica Rolex isn't internally identical to a real one. But a lab grown diamond, for all intents & purposes is identical to the one pulled out of the earth.

I also wouldn't say the resale on "real" earth-mined diamonds is so hot either. It's dramatically lower than what any so-called appraisal says and what you pay for them. Pity for those that go to a chain jeweler like Kay or something and think they aren't getting destroyed for potential resale.

My best friend is a jeweler; he said the machine used to tell the difference is ~$20k or so. Under normal observation, it is impossible to tell the difference, or so he claims. If you're doing it to impress others, they won't know. If you're doing it for future value; buy equities or real estate.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2024, 10:41 AM   #13
Archetype
"TRF" Member

If you buy earth mined diamonds (say 1ct, big stones have lower margins) from a reputable dealer you will lose around 30% should you return it whereas with lab growns you will lose 75%. Also good quality natural white diamonds are "rare" and are really RARE if we are talking about the big stones. This can never be said about something we can create in a lab.

One shows off diamonds with the goal being to say to the world that he's got money (among other things). Showing off labs achieves this goal, if this is the main thing you are after and it doesn't bother you to be associated with this level of fakery HOWEVER once more people become aware of the existence of lab growns then it won't be enough to just show off, you will also need to lie if you are asked if these are natural ones or not. You are lying to yourself, you are lying to others, I don't see any REAL benefit with Breitling using lab stones. It just attracts the wrong kind of people to the brand who want to pretend to be something they aren't.

Personally speaking I cannot stand showing off something which isn't the real thing because I feel like a complete idiot inside me, as someone who lies his way into a social status he doesn't deserve to be in nor can he keep up with the appearance he creates. Walking around with a 50k replica Rolex when a Tissot is the best I could afford . How can one feel comfortable with this level of fakery is beyond me.

Under observation you can't tell the difference between lab and earth mined but so what? I would argue what something IS matters more than how something looks to the world. In the case of watches there is no comparison between the value of a factory set diamond Rolex and aftermarket even though they may look exactly the same. They look the same but they aren't. The person faking it knows the truth and onlookers should know better before labeling people as "successful" when they don't really know them.
Old 19 February 2024, 12:19 PM   #14
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Chemically identical. And without the human rights violations and environmental damage. Everyone I know that sells lab-created is quite clear on their source.
Yes but at the end of the day monetary value and rarity is what really matters not appearances. They fail on both fronts.
Old 20 February 2024, 02:36 AM   #15
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I picked up the 42mm Superocean Blue late last year. I am really enjoying the watch. After going through various Omega 300 Seamaster Diver's, I went with Breitling. Even though it's not an in-house movement it fits my smaller wrist much better. Shorter lug to lug and thinner.
Old 20 February 2024, 04:04 AM   #16
jedione65
"TRF" Member

What a strange post. The OP should realize that that majority of watches aside from certain Rolex, Patek, and AP will lose value. Might as well not buy any watches at all or any clothes for the matter, or a car, because everything used will lose its value. Why post just to say you walked into a boutique and had no desire to buy anything and didn’t like the watches?
Same about the lab grown diamonds. Sorry, but this kind of post represents a lot of what is wrong with watch collectors today. Resale value and flipping without any real passion. I think you’re in the wrong hobby.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 04:06 AM   #17
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes but at the end of the day monetary value and rarity is what really matters not appearances. They fail on both fronts.
Watches are not investment vehicles.
Old 20 February 2024, 10:57 AM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I own 2 Breitling, a 1985 Navitimer/Aerospace and a more recent Endurance Pro. I like both pieces very much. The Aerospace gets more wrist time and I love the classic look. I had to send the Endurance Pro back to Breitling after a year because of problems with the pushers and mechanical issues so I was not happy about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0375.jpeg (96.6 KB, 213 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 11:50 AM   #19
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
What a strange post. The OP should realize that that majority of watches aside from certain Rolex, Patek, and AP will lose value. Might as well not buy any watches at all or any clothes for the matter, or a car, because everything used will lose its value. Why post just to say you walked into a boutique and had no desire to buy anything and didn’t like the watches?
Same about the lab grown diamonds. Sorry, but this kind of post represents a lot of what is wrong with watch collectors today. Resale value and flipping without any real passion. I think you’re in the wrong hobby.
What a strange reply.

I know very well which brands hold value. Your argument doesn't make much sense and people need to stop repeating it like parrots without thinking through it.

The reason many people care about value retainment is not necessarily because they buy watches for investment rather than enjoyment and appreciation of craftsmanship. This is so out of reality. I do not deny that there are also many who buy watches purely for investment and nothing else and these people do indeed mess up the market. I am personally not in this bracket. I do buy for enjoyment but at the same time I am a millionaire. Monetary value will always be a factor when purchasing something very expensive.

A luxury watch is often something of a significant value (unless you are a millionaire) and IF you can buy something to enjoy without losing a ton of money then why not do it? I stress the word IF here. If I could buy luxury clothes without losing a ton of money in the used market and being able to retain their monetary value I would do it but this is not possible so I have give in on the fact that 2nd hand clothes lose a lot of value. You can sometimes find bargains on ebay but overall if you buy a luxury clothing brand you will lose a lot if you try to resell it and there is no way around it. Period.

Same goes with cars etc. HOWEVER with luxury watches it is sometimes possible to buy them and not get wiped out. Why do a significant purchase from a boutique only to get wiped out? This timepiece I refer to is of significant value(to me) and down the road the urgent need may arise to sell it (whatever the reason may be) and thus why not minimize my loses as much as I can IF I can? for this reason if I can buy the RB1510251B1P1 for £12,200 brand new with manufacturers warranty instead of £17,150 why would I not do it? Should I find myself in a situation where I have to sell it I will still lose around 1-2k from what I see on chrono24 which is far better than losing £7,000. Chopard LUC is another amazing brand comparable to Patek. A watch am interested in goes for £25,000 in the boutique, £9,500 pre-owned. Please be my guest and go buy it brand new because you are a "real watch enthusiast who doesn't care about value".

Quote:
Watches are not investment vehicles.
You know you are wrong. They can sometimes be great investment vehicles if you know what you are doing.
Old 20 February 2024, 12:57 PM   #20
jedione65
"TRF" Member

sure whatever you say. Said like a true watch flipper, good luck finding your bargain bin watches. Hopefully you don’t sell them back to a dealer, because you will get another 40-50% less back than the 30% off you paid from msrp.
Old 20 February 2024, 01:01 PM   #21
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sure whatever you say. Said like a true watch flipper, good luck finding your bargain bin watches. Hopefully you don’t sell them back to a dealer, because you will get another 40-50% less back than the 30% off you paid from msrp.
Typical reply when essentially you have nothing of note to reply with. Go buy from Breitling's boutique son.
Old 20 February 2024, 11:43 PM   #22
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a strange reply.

I know very well which brands hold value. Your argument doesn't make much sense and people need to stop repeating it like parrots without thinking through it.

The reason many people care about value retainment is not necessarily because they buy watches for investment rather than enjoyment and appreciation of craftsmanship. This is so out of reality. I do not deny that there are also many who buy watches purely for investment and nothing else and these people do indeed mess up the market. I am personally not in this bracket. I do buy for enjoyment but at the same time I am a millionaire. Monetary value will always be a factor when purchasing something very expensive.

A luxury watch is often something of a significant value (unless you are a millionaire) and IF you can buy something to enjoy without losing a ton of money then why not do it? I stress the word IF here. If I could buy luxury clothes without losing a ton of money in the used market and being able to retain their monetary value I would do it but this is not possible so I have give in on the fact that 2nd hand clothes lose a lot of value. You can sometimes find bargains on ebay but overall if you buy a luxury clothing brand you will lose a lot if you try to resell it and there is no way around it. Period.

Same goes with cars etc. HOWEVER with luxury watches it is sometimes possible to buy them and not get wiped out. Why do a significant purchase from a boutique only to get wiped out? This timepiece I refer to is of significant value(to me) and down the road the urgent need may arise to sell it (whatever the reason may be) and thus why not minimize my loses as much as I can IF I can? for this reason if I can buy the RB1510251B1P1 for £12,200 brand new with manufacturers warranty instead of £17,150 why would I not do it? Should I find myself in a situation where I have to sell it I will still lose around 1-2k from what I see on chrono24 which is far better than losing £7,000. Chopard LUC is another amazing brand comparable to Patek. A watch am interested in goes for £25,000 in the boutique, £9,500 pre-owned. Please be my guest and go buy it brand new because you are a "real watch enthusiast who doesn't care about value".

You know you are wrong. They can sometimes be great investment vehicles if you know what you are doing.
Sorry, but I tend to be more in the jedione65 camp. I am a true watch enthusiast. I buy what I love, and worry none about resale value. I could care less if the value of the watch dropped to zero the moment I walk out the AD store. The second I walked out of the AD with my Navitimer (at full retail) I knew the value of the watch was going to drop significantly. I didn't care. The watch puts a smile on my face everytime it goes on my wrist, and is one of my favorites over some of the Rolex's I own even though they have gone up in value. And to me, this is what matters most - the smile on my face.

With regards to watches being investment pieces. I have fared much better in the stock market over the past 10 years vs what I could have made doing watch investments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5041.1.jpg (284.0 KB, 197 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:52 PM   #23
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Sorry, but I tend to be more in the jedione65 camp. I am a true watch enthusiast. I buy what I love, and worry none about resale value. I could care less if the value of the watch dropped to zero the moment I walk out the AD store. The second I walked out of the AD with my Navitimer (at full retail) I knew the value of the watch was going to drop significantly. I didn't care. The watch puts a smile on my face every time it goes on my wrist, and is one of my favorites over some of the Rolex's I own even though they have gone up in value. And to me, this is what matters most - the smile on my face.

With regards to watches being investment pieces. I have fared much better in the stock market over the past 10 years vs what I could have made doing watch investments.

First of all, its a beautiful piece! Good choice.

You are making an emotional argument rather than a rational one. Caring about the monetary value of a luxury timepiece doesn't necessarily entail that you do not care about watches and your only goal is to buy them in order to make money in the future. I find your premise untenable if not illogical.

In the real world where we need be responsible, especially if we have family and kids, monetary value of things we purchase MATTERS unless you are very wealthy and 5-10k mean nothing to you.

How worrying about resale value is related to not being a watch enthusiast? I just do not understand how you connect the two.

If you were to say that I want to support the brands I love and I don't care about losing money then this is another matter altogether but so many people seem to conflate two completely different things.

I am not a flipper, I just like to preserve money if possible (if its a meaningful amount) since money doesn't grow on trees. You do this yourself, am sure, with other things in your life but for some reason when it comes to watches you act like a religious zealot.

You can be a true watch enthusiast and care about value preservation as I am, what I am not is irresponsible with money because am not a millionaire and I repeat money doesn't grow on trees.
Old 24 February 2024, 02:54 AM   #24
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First of all, its a beautiful piece! Good choice.
Thanks, and I agree.

Quote:
You are making an emotional argument rather than a rational one. Caring about the monetary value of a luxury timepiece doesn't necessarily entail that you do not care about watches and your only goal is to buy them in order to make money in the future. I find your premise untenable if not illogical.

In the real world where we need be responsible, especially if we have family and kids, monetary value of things we purchase MATTERS unless you are very wealthy and 5-10k mean nothing to you.
We are polar opposites on these points. I treat my watches no different than buying a new car or going on a nice vacation. When I buy a new car I give no thought to what the resale value might be down the road. I buy a car that excites me, a car that I would love to drive. I would never buy a car over another car just because of resale value. I will buy the car that puts the biggest smile on my face each and every time I drive it, no different than a watch. Same goes for a vacation. The dollar value of a vacation is zero once it is over. Does that mean I won't take a vacation because there is no value to it once it is over? No, I take vacations for the memories and the smiles it puts on my face. Again, no different than a watch. I'm not being irresponsible. We are only on this planet for a finite amount of time. I want to enjoy my life while I have that time.

Quote:
How worrying about resale value is related to not being a watch enthusiast? I just do not understand how you connect the two.
In your first post you said you didn't buy anything because "I had NO desire to buy anything from them only to walk out and lose 30% of its value." And "...resale value is very important to me as I may one day need to sell it." To me, if you loved a watch you would buy it just as I did as stated in my post knowing full well it would drop in value the moment I walked out the door. But that just may be me, and I can understand your point. But my level of enthusiast I believe is on a different level than yours as I never plan on selling any of my watches.

Quote:
If you were to say that I want to support the brands I love and I don't care about losing money then this is another matter altogether but so many people seem to conflate two completely different things.
It has nothing to do with supporting brands that I love, it's about purchasing watches that I love. Some of my watches others would never buy. And that's ok. But I could care less if the value of a watch I buy drops to zero the moment I walk out of the AD. I buy it because I love it, just as I go on vacations with zero return on investment.

Quote:
I am not a flipper, I just like to preserve money if possible (if its a meaningful amount) since money doesn't grow on trees. You do this yourself, am sure, with other things in your life but for some reason when it comes to watches you act like a religious zealot.

You can be a true watch enthusiast and care about value preservation as I am, what I am not is irresponsible with money because am not a millionaire and I repeat money doesn't grow on trees.
I understand wanting to preserve your money. I just don't treat watches like assets, which it seems you do. I treat them like a vacation or car that depreciates in value. I live my life the same way I live my watch life, so not a religious zealot when it comes to watches. We only live once, so enjoy the moment.
Old 24 February 2024, 12:18 PM   #25
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The dollar value of a vacation is zero once it is over. Does that mean I won't take a vacation because there is no value to it once it is over? No, I take vacations for the memories and the smiles it puts on my face. Again, no different than a watch.
You are missing my point entirely. The two are very different and you don't compare apples to apples. Again you sound irresponsible when it comes to money as you do not seem to care about wasting it when you can avoid doing so.

Spending 10k for holidays and spending 10k for a Rolex is NOT the same. Both give you pleasure and satisfaction with the big difference being that with the Rolex your 10k will always be there should for instance an urgent medical attention at a private hospital is needed. Your holidays would have left you with nothing tangible to rely on at a future date. I am not saying one is better than the other nor am I saying we need to always think about value retainment but taking a vacation is not the same as buying a watch from a financial point of view.

My point is IF one can avoid wasting money one should do so. It doesn't matter what it is that you are buying and why you are buying it. I think you misunderstand me completely.

Think of this analogy and compare it to buying a watch from a boutique vs grey market.

If you had in front of you on two different reputable websites two holiday packages both offering exactly the same but one was 40% less costly(due to a promotional event). In addition to this if you picked the cheaper one you would also get refunded 80% of your funds at the end of your trip. Which one would you choose? You come across as someone who wouldn't care which one he picked. I suspect you are very wealthy hence money is not a consideration for you which would explain your stance on this.

Quote:
But my level of enthusiast I believe is on a different level than yours as I never plan on selling any of my watches.
"I don't plan" and "I will not sell no matter what" are two completely different things though. If something unfortunate happened and you needed money you didn't have you would sell them and you know this. I have watches I just get bored of after some years and never wear them so I sell them OR something happens and I need access to funds so I sell them. These are the only reasons I'd ever sell a watch. Generally speaking so long I like a watch I would almost never sell it. Its nice to build a collection over time. Each watch has different meaning and memory associated to it.

Quote:
I understand wanting to preserve your money. I just don't treat watches like assets, which it seems you do. I treat them like a vacation or car that depreciates in value.

I will reiterate it once more. Caring about the value of a watch doesn't make one less or more "true watch collector". If it does you haven't demonstrated it yet. What you have demonstrated is that you don't care about wasting money when there is an easy and readily available alternative not to which is fair enough. You don't need treat it as an asset to be prudent about where you are buying them from. Bar wealthy people I always feel sorry for normal folk who walk into boutiques and get ripped given the availability of alternatives.
Old 24 February 2024, 02:12 PM   #26
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me, if you loved a watch you would buy it just as I did as stated in my post knowing full well it would drop in value the moment I walked out the door. But that just may be me, and I can understand your point. But my level of enthusiast I believe is on a different level than yours as I never plan on selling any of my watches.
Yes I would buy it, but not from the boutique if am going to lose a shit ton of money just by walking out when I can easily buy it from elsewhere. This doesn't make me any less enthusiastic about watches. If I can minimize my loss I will if I can't (like with buying clothes) then I'd be happy to take the hit.
Selling or never selling it doesn't make a difference. Someone offers you something for 5 and someone else for 10 and you go for the one that offers it to you for 10. Everything else being equal you must be in a real minority to not care about getting a good deal.
Old 25 February 2024, 12:57 AM   #27
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are missing my point entirely. The two are very different and you don't compare apples to apples. Again you sound irresponsible when it comes to money as you do not seem to care about wasting it when you can avoid doing so.

Spending 10k for holidays and spending 10k for a Rolex is NOT the same. Both give you pleasure and satisfaction with the big difference being that with the Rolex your 10k will always be there should for instance an urgent medical attention at a private hospital is needed. Your holidays would have left you with nothing tangible to rely on at a future date. I am not saying one is better than the other nor am I saying we need to always think about value retainment but taking a vacation is not the same as buying a watch from a financial point of view.
This is where we differ. I do treat them the same. There is no difference in my mind. When I buy a watch I consider it money gone. I would NEVER spend money on a watch or a vacation if I didn't have a fund set aside for emergency purposes. My parents instilled that into me. Because of this fund, I would never have to sell a watch for emergency purposes. If you would have to sell a watch to fund an emergency you may be spending beyond your means. Since I don't know you, I don't know if this is true or not.

Quote:
My point is IF one can avoid wasting money one should do so. It doesn't matter what it is that you are buying and why you are buying it. I think you misunderstand me completely.

Think of this analogy and compare it to buying a watch from a boutique vs grey market.

If you had in front of you on two different reputable websites two holiday packages both offering exactly the same but one was 40% less costly(due to a promotional event). In addition to this if you picked the cheaper one you would also get refunded 80% of your funds at the end of your trip. Which one would you choose? You come across as someone who wouldn't care which one he picked. I suspect you are very wealthy hence money is not a consideration for you which would explain your stance on this.
It all depends. Am I against wasting money? Of course I am. However, the cheapest price doesn't always represent the best value. With one exception, I always buy from my AD(s). I have built a strong relationship with them which in turn I get allocated watches that others don't. And the cheapest price doesn't always mean the best service. Some of those bargain prices for vacations are bargains for a reason. I've worked my entire life to build up the nest egg that I have. I'm at the point in my life that I care more about value than whatever is the cheapest price around. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Quote:
"I don't plan" and "I will not sell no matter what" are two completely different things though. If something unfortunate happened and you needed money you didn't have you would sell them and you know this. I have watches I just get bored of after some years and never wear them so I sell them OR something happens and I need access to funds so I sell them. These are the only reasons I'd ever sell a watch. Generally speaking so long I like a watch I would almost never sell it. Its nice to build a collection over time. Each watch has different meaning and memory associated to it.

I will reiterate it once more. Caring about the value of a watch doesn't make one less or more "true watch collector". If it does you haven't demonstrated it yet. What you have demonstrated is that you don't care about wasting money when there is an easy and readily available alternative not to which is fair enough. You don't need treat it as an asset to be prudent about where you are buying them from. Bar wealthy people I always feel sorry for normal folk who walk into boutiques and get ripped given the availability of alternatives.
Again, there is a lot more to a purchase than price alone. My relationships with my AD's have gotten me things that others simply can't get. I don't think you understand this at all. And again, I don't see watches as assets, but rather beautiful instruments in a hobby I love.

Quote:
Yes I would buy it, but not from the boutique if am going to lose a shit ton of money just by walking out when I can easily buy it from elsewhere. This doesn't make me any less enthusiastic about watches. If I can minimize my loss I will if I can't (like with buying clothes) then I'd be happy to take the hit.
Selling or never selling it doesn't make a difference. Someone offers you something for 5 and someone else for 10 and you go for the one that offers it to you for 10. Everything else being equal you must be in a real minority to not care about getting a good deal.
Again, as I have stated above, there is more to consider at times than just the cheapest price. Do I care about price? Yes, but it's not the only thing I consider when purchasing something. For example, when I buy something on Amazon I buy the seller, not the cheapest price. If I have to return something I want a smooth transaction. You hear that a lot when buying watches on this forum. That is, buy the seller, not the watch.

In the end, I think we just agree to disagree. Neither is wrong, we are just different.
Old 25 February 2024, 06:50 AM   #28
jedione65
"TRF" Member

lol this is is still going. Dave gets in on so many different levels the other guy only cares about losing money.

My issue is you basically wrote a very condescending post about how Breitling is terrible because it loses value “how the boutique is dead” and you “has no desire to buy any of their watches”. What’s the point of that?
If you really only cared about money and “value” preservation, you would not buy any watches at all. Nobody needs a watch and especially not a luxury watch. Most wealthy people don’t even wear watches or have a watch collection. People that buy watches buy them for pure enjoyment a particular watch or brand gives them.
Maybe come back and rejoin the discussion one you’ve bought, sold, traded 10-20 watches and see how much money you’ve made.
Oh and just so you know - I have watches in my collection that I can sell for a profit on what I paid but those are outliers and was lucky to o get them.

Also I’m not your son, and you don’t even know me. You have no idea where I get my watches so stop assuming things you don’t know. So let’s get that straight and you can go crazy somewhere else. Maybe join a finance forum on how not to lose money buying things you can’t afford?
Old 25 February 2024, 06:52 AM   #29
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I tend to be more in the jedione65 camp. I am a true watch enthusiast. I buy what I love, and worry none about resale value. I could care less if the value of the watch dropped to zero the moment I walk out the AD store. The second I walked out of the AD with my Navitimer (at full retail) I knew the value of the watch was going to drop significantly. I didn't care. The watch puts a smile on my face everytime it goes on my wrist, and is one of my favorites over some of the Rolex's I own even though they have gone up in value. And to me, this is what matters most - the smile on my face.

Also excellent Navitimer and probably even nicer Corvette!
Old 25 February 2024, 08:24 AM   #30
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also excellent Navitimer and probably even nicer Corvette!
Why thank you.