The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2017, 03:02 AM   #61
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
The FF and cousins never appealed to me. A great piece, but not my taste. As I love a ceramic watch, if I were looking for a ceramic dive watch I would go JLC Deep Sea Chronograph Cermet every time. If not ceramic its steel cousin.

But then I've passed on the SUB a few times.

I like a pilot watch I guess as I have a GMTIIc and a IWC ceramic chrono, the new one slightly downsized. The above would be my choice if I preferred a dive watch.

Strange, I have a Padi licence but not a pilot licence. I guess Subs and other dive watches are not for diving any more.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:59 AM   #62
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
this should make the decision easier...

the ceramic casing is just flawless to be honest.
Very nice!

I believe that one in ceramic is a good bit more expensive thought than the SS example?
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:04 AM   #63
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
Hi All,

I posted a week or so ago as I was debating between a Rolex Sub, Tudor Pelagos and IWC Aquatimer. I ended up deciding on saving for the Rolex and then went through an internal debate between Date and No Date...and decided to go with the No Date in a few months when I have the money saved up.

Now, I'm a new member so naturally I've been browsing posts and reading reviews and in the process I stumbled upon the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe. There's just something about the clean aesthetics and craftsmanship of the Bathyscaphe timepiece that's making me hesitate.

This will be my first luxury watch and I'm glad I will be taking time to save up because I'm at a crossroads here and can't decide on which one I like most.

Just a rant also looking for a bit of opinions.

I would reconsider the Sub Date if this is your only luxury watch. The date function may come in more use than you realize. Have you happened to wear any time only watches in the past as a daily? Personally, my Daytonas only get limited wrist time for this reason alone.

You're also going to take a "Bath" if you change your mind and want to resell the "Bath"yscaphe. Something to consider
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:08 AM   #64
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Sub, and I'd go blue Pelagos before a FF, the FF is a cool peripheral watch to me.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:14 AM   #65
rynegne
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response. I'm not a big fan of chronographs honestly.

I have watches with the date function in my collection of non-luxury watches. It's definitely not a necessity for me.

I've gone back and forth a bit on Date or No Date, but, I'm leaning no date as I like how clean it is. Plus, I will likely be purchasing a quality rubberized strap or NATO to pair with the watch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
rynegne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:20 AM   #66
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm not a big fan of chronographs honestly.

I have watches with the date function in my collection of non-luxury watches. It's definitely not a necessity for me.

I've gone back and forth a bit on Date or No Date, but, I'm leaning no date as I like how clean it is. Plus, I will likely be purchasing a quality rubberized strap or NATO to pair with the watch.

Had it been known that the sub in consideration would be w/o a bracelet in your desired configuration, even in the Rolex section I would think the vote would have been less one sided toward the sub. The Blancpain divers may have won that debate... just saying .
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:31 AM   #67
rynegne
"TRF" Member

To clarify, I plan on wearing it every day with the metal bracelet. Also buying a strap and or nato to wear at times I don't want to wear the metal bracelet...I like having the versatility as this will be my only luxury watch for a while. Nice to have multiple configurations.

rynegne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 04:39 AM   #68
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Very nice!

I believe that one in ceramic is a good bit more expensive thought than the SS example?
I think the difference is about 3k

The SS case doesn't come in blue dial option
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:13 AM   #69
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
S.u.b.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 05:28 AM   #70
Joemck
"TRF" Member

Watch: And listen
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Goodness Gracious Me! Heavens No !No fixing required.The Blancpain Bathyscape is not a Killer or a Weirdo watch but follows a modern 20th century Utopian art known as a Bauhaus design (something like an opposite of a Picasso).The designer of the original Bathyscape must have been a student of Mr Walter Gropius and studied in the school of Bauhaus art in Germany before World War II.

The Bauhaus inspired design watches are minimalistic, irrelevant details are omitted, have clean fonts or dials,thin hands and small index markers,they are elegant yet can be worn as a daily beater.The Sinn U1 diver watch also follows a Bauhaus concept and the Japanese consumers apart from Rolex and Omega, just love those Bauhaus inspired watches !
I enjoy your perspective. Thought out. Informative. And, sometimes, a little cheeky.
Joemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:33 AM   #71
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Go for the sub.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:03 AM   #72
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemck View Post
I enjoy your perspective. Thought out. Informative. And, sometimes, a little cheeky.
Agree. Megan has a different take on things but I find it interesting and welcome on the forum.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 09:17 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Agree. Megan has a different take on things but I find it interesting and welcome on the forum.
Agree too, and I guess I am more Cubist than Bauhaus.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 10:03 AM   #74
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Get that sub!!!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 10:06 AM   #75
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agree too, and I guess I am more Cubist than Bauhaus.

Same here. I honestly don't like bauhaus or minimalism etc
Old 8 July 2017, 10:12 AM   #76
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Same here. I honestly don't like bauhaus or minimalism etc
Don't need to my friend. Just need to like women and the way they are to appreciate her posts. I'm sure you're a fan as well.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 12:38 PM   #77
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Is resale or liquidity a consideration in the decision?

If it is, there is only one choice.

ROLEX

The ND sub is an always desirable, no mehs or buts watch.

Can be turned into HARD CASH or traded out of with absolute ease. No hesitation from dealers to buy.

The Blancpain, while better than other references in their line, is not a value retainer..
In other words, if you're living so close to the financial edge that you might need to sell your watch to make ends meet or cannot afford a few more thousand in depreciation, Rolex is the watch for you?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 02:02 PM   #78
snyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Oris Diver 65?Come On! You can do much better than that.Want to know a genuine 1965 vintage reissue, an exact remarkable recreation of a non Swiss watch where the resale value is expected to be higher than the retail price....especially if you post the watch on the WUS forum where the brand has some maniacal cult worshippers? Heck!There could even be a bidding war for the watch....

I wont tell you the answer.Find it out yourself if you are curious....
Seiko ?
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 06:14 PM   #79
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
In other words, if you're living so close to the financial edge that you might need to sell your watch to make ends meet or cannot afford a few more thousand in depreciation, Rolex is the watch for you?

the resale argument before a purchase is even made is a bit odd to me. If you are buying a watch already thinking about selling in the future you are picking the wrong watch IMO. All of them are going to depreciate and you will lose money if you sell no matter which one is chosen.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 06:23 PM   #80
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Sub , no bathy.... I'd be wearing my Sub whilst i bathe though ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 06:25 PM   #81
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I owned a steel sub and flipped it. For me Bathyscaphe gets the vote.
Old 9 July 2017, 06:47 PM   #82
osamu
"TRF" Member

The bathyscaphe for a long while was my favorite diver. Interesting design, beautiful dial, something a bit out of the ordinary. The SubC was never really my favorite, I'm not sure why. I still don't really like the proportions of the lugs or the gloss of the bezel insert.

The bathyscaphe isn't really on my radar too much anymore although I do want to check out the 38mm version (although in the pictures the proportions seem weird and a bit TOO small). But between these two specifically, I think I would probably still lean towards the Bathyscaphe.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 09:11 PM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I love the Bathyscaphe ever since first seeing one; it a very elegant design for a dive watch. Blancpain was the first. Truly a beauty! I'm certain that owning one or the other won't remove the desire of owning both!!! Good luck with the hunt.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bl...fathoms-review

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 10:21 PM   #84
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

40mm ff milspec for me

BP > sub

Both are essential for a diver fan
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 02:54 AM   #85
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I am thinking about selling my sub and getting a preowned Bathe plus putting some cash in my pocket.
jrgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 03:05 AM   #86
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe - I do not like it
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 09:41 PM   #87
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I have both. I enjoy the Bathy. Its well made, comfortable, great accurate movement (2sec) and 5 days power reserve. It looks like a basic toolwatch at first but depending on the light it changes to something different. Couple of times i have been asked if my watch had diamonds as the light reflects a lot on the hourmarkings.

But it is a big watch. 43mm but wears bigger so keep that in mind. Still although i realy like the Bathyscape i think i will flip it some day for an original FF or the beautiful FF milspec.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 09:45 PM   #88
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
The only BP that would trump a Rolex sports watch is the FF. The MS1 is the best modern FF in my opinion second only to the first modern 40mm limited edition watch with saphire bezel.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 10:10 PM   #89
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

If Blancpain did a 40-41mm Fifty Fathoms that was on par with Rolex pricing the fight would be a lot more even. But as it is the only one I would even remotely consider is the tribute to Mil Spec which is 40mm and absolutely stunning but the pricing is eye watering. I would probably go for this over a sub if the pricing was right. So sub wins.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 10:16 PM   #90
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind if you go for the BP, you will get beaten up on resale value if you ever flip it in the future. Sub will go up in value.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote