The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2017, 05:06 PM   #31
Gravity
"TRF" Member

All my pieces I have wanted I have received next day by Fedex. No wait, no hassle, usually discounted and always no tax! There are many phenominal dealers here with impeccable service. Go though one of them, buy yourself a nice dinner, massage and your own bottle of champagne with just some of the money you save.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 05:13 PM   #32
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My AD has been nothing short of stellar in the sales and service area. I'm made to feel welcome whether I'm buying or just paying a visit. I can't tell you how many times I've just popped in to say hello and chat watches, or simply shoot the breeze.

Maybe it's time to look at another AD if you're not feeling the vibe.
I have the same with my Rolex AD here in Singapore. As for the OP boutique, well, they treat me like royalty.

OP, I’d think about looking for a different AD if I were you.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 05:25 PM   #33
MrWhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes weekly
My first Rolex purchase (a year ago) was good although I had to rush to buy it within 48 hours because it was an in demand model.
I decided 6 weeks ago I really wanted a BLNR. I called many dealers but all were rather rude (probably because they get 20 calls a day on the watch!). This one dealer was amazing, we had a good chat about watches and although he couldn't get me one I was left amazed by his service. After sending a nice email in to his boss, I got a lovely call 3 weeks later saying he had a BLNR for me. The whole experience was amazing and I honestly cant fault him.
MrWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:22 PM   #34
fugufish
"TRF" Member

Amen

I feel with the OP. In fact, I experience this as a general thing in customer service, at least where I live (Switzerland).

I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I go buy a pair of jeans at H&M. I do expect to be treated favorably when I go buy a Mercedes (or any car for that matter) or a Rolex (or any luxury watch for that matter) and I have had bad experiences with both.

In a time where products either don't differ much from each other or can be easily had over the Internet, often at better prices, the differentiation can be made more and more only through customer Service. I am baffled when a sales person doesn't even try to sell a timepiece. I went twice to the same Omega AD and the lady was not especially motivated nor did she have much of a clue what she was selling. I had to go out of the store and physically point out the specific model in the Showcase window I was interested in, before she understood. And it was not like it was a busy day, the store was empty. Also, I am dressed Business formal during my workdays (I often hit the ADs during lunch breaks), so it's not like I looked like I couldn't afford an Omega. Needless to say I switched AD since.

On a more positive note, I did have a stellar experience on my first luxury watch purchase when I got a Tag Heuer Link and the sales guy not only offered me and my wife a glass of champagne but also added an additional Discount (minor, but still), since it was my birthday. Now that's what I call stellar! Since then, my subsequent purchases (a Breitling and a Tudor) have been OK-ish at best.
fugufish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:24 PM   #35
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The AD I bought my sub date from gave phenomenonal service.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:46 PM   #36
Dave-B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I visit 3 ADs that are local-ish to me and all are fantastic but I did have a negative experience in one last year. I saw in the window a TT GMT and as my wife was taking ages clothes shopping I thought I would have a look at the GMT. I walked in and instantly a salesperson noticed I had a SubC on and came over, I told her I was interested in the TT GMT. She then handed me over to the deputy manager (has more knowledge of Rolex apparently) who proceeded to sit me down while he fetched the watch from the window, so far so good. I took off my Sub and placed it on the padded tray in front of the manager, he gave me the GMT and then placed his finger over the panic alarm button on the side of the table! He wasn’t discreet about it, he just sat there with his finger on the button as if he was expecting me to run out with the GMT, I don’t know why but I bristled instantly. I took off the GMT, picked up my Sub, thanked him and said I wouldn’t be buying the watch from him today and walked out.

Apart from that all AD experiences have been great, not exactly red carpets and trumpet fanfares but pleasant enough
Dave-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:50 PM   #37
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

I have always been welcomed nicely, a nice chat with a very knowlegable sales manager and a bottle of champagne when I bought my wife's watch. Nothing when I got my SS daytona. We did receive a nice letter each after complimenting us on the watches we purchased. I didnt expect anything but I really liked the dealer - nothing seemed too much trouble and I will be buying a PM piece from him shortly.
For what it's worth 18 months ago I purchased a 2 year old Supercar for £150k and I wasn't treated special then. I was offered to sit in a Ferrari Enzo when I collected my car but I declined. No free gifts just the offer of a coffee. Maybe there is just too much money about in certain areas so sales people don't bother any more?
Old 20 October 2017, 07:54 PM   #38
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I have the same with my Rolex AD here in Singapore. As for the OP boutique, well, they treat me like royalty.

OP, I’d think about looking for a different AD if I were you.
The sales person at MBS hung up on me when I called. Clearly she was completely swamped selling TT Datejusts.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:59 PM   #39
Star Ferry
Banned

I have two thoughts on this

1) the sales people may be frustrated. they don't make money when 1000 people per day walk in, ask about stock they don't have, and then walk out

2) Rolex almost sells itself. So crappy salespeople may manage to put up decent numbers and stick around, even though they would fail immediately trying sell anything else
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:05 PM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The Game has Changed. The AD not customer is King in this low supply world Rolex have seen fit to create for us. It has led to very bad blood and hostile, tense atmospheres in most UK ADs already. The watches might be getting more popular but their service is falling down the gutter.
If I’m honest, I tend to agree with this.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:25 PM   #41
69ways
Banned

In Athens they are a few AD
I have visited them and must say majority were arrogant sons of b.....
I ended up going somewhere else
If u dont feel the vibe the you dont buy

Last edited by 69ways; 20 October 2017 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:16 PM   #42
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus91 View Post
I understand that sports steel models are hard to come by but when spending almost 10k on a watch I don’t think it’s right for the AD to make you think they’ve done YOU a favour by selling you the watch.

What do you guys think? Would be interesting to hear your experiences.
I've been in AD stores only 4 times looking for certain watches, but in all three had that experience. Sales people looked a bit annoyed I was even asking about stainless steel models (SubmarinerC and DaytonaC). They didn't ask much more, didn't try to sell anything else, nothing, just a "No way in hell you're getting any - ever" mood. One guy was particularly annoyed he had to walk to the door for that question. When contacting via phone/email (another three or four ADs) the experience was similar. Pretty much "No we don't have any of the two and we are not taking any orders because the list is too long". Any following question was ignored.

I don't care for special treatment, champagne, gifts and so on, actually I prefer simplicity. But I also don't like feeling I'm bothering the salesperson, who is making me a huge favor of even listening to me wanting to throw money at them. For some, this perceived imbalance between supply/demand makes the product more attractive, sexier, exclusive. With me however, it was a bit of a turn-off, not a sense of elitism.

I'm sure things work better with a "trusted AD that knows you" but if it is your first purchase of the brand, you're unlikely to know any of them, there are no shortcuts.
I still have an order open on a UK gs that is waiting/sourcing from an AD, but since they are late, I might end up cancelling and asking for my 10% back. I'll give it another three weeks.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:51 PM   #43
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
My AD experience in continental Europe, Portugal stood out in particular, has been wonderful, treated like a highly valued customer whenever visiting the shops.

My Rolex AD experience in UK was just like buying something from the Apple shop. Friendly enough but nothing special whatsoever.

My local independent Patek Philippe AD treats you very well though in terms of the sales / handover experience and it really does feel as though you are spending as much money as you are.

So I’d say it’s a pretty mixed bag, but depends largely on brand and luck of the draw.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:19 PM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It really depends on the AD. Some are outstanding with excellent customer service. They should be as it is all part of the luxury goods buying experience. The snotty sales clerks are more funny to be than anything as they never know that much and put on a million dollar attitude when they are working retail. Dismissive and snottiness is a lack of sales skill, manners, and people skills in general.

I have called them out before speaking to the owner directly and usually after a 2 min conversation, the owner knows I am dead serious about watches and usually ordering the initial clerk to get me a cup of coffee. I find that most of the owners have no idea how their sales staff interacts with the customer when the owner is not present.
Old 20 October 2017, 10:22 PM   #45
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Rolex almost sells itself. So crappy salespeople may manage to put up decent numbers and stick around, even though they would fail immediately trying sell anything else
I was actually told this by someone I knew who worked at an AD.

He no longer works there
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:26 AM   #46
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
The sales person at MBS hung up on me when I called. Clearly she was completely swamped selling TT Datejusts.

This. I am always puzzled by, shall I say, less than average service at all of Rolex ADs in SG (and I’ve been to most by now as I moved there some two years ago). Arrogant and clueless are two good descriptors that come in mind. Nothing pleasant and I’ve sworn I’d never spend a penny with these mor..ns. I’d be keen to know which one was referred earlier as “stellar”.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:29 AM   #47
DTap
"TRF" Member

I think making a personal connection with the dealer is important. If I don't like the person I'm dealing with, I don't want to spend my money with them. Part of the process for me.

Some folks just want a watch and don't care. To each his own.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:36 AM   #48
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Find a new AD. I recently changed and now have a new AD, where I got my LVc earlier this year. The best. He will get all my Rolex business.
Old 21 October 2017, 10:53 AM   #49
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
This. I am always puzzled by, shall I say, less than average service at all of Rolex ADs in SG (and I’ve been to most by now as I moved there some two years ago). Arrogant and clueless are two good descriptors that come in mind. Nothing pleasant and I’ve sworn I’d never spend a penny with these mor..ns. I’d be keen to know which one was referred earlier as “stellar”.
Unfortunately my experience matches yours. To be fair to the ADs, I guess it must be frustrating to constantly have to pass up sales because they have none of the pieces that customers want to buy
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:46 PM   #50
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
My experiences with Omega Boutique and Rolex ADs have been great so far.

The OB I bought my Speedy from has good customer service. They greeted me, offered me coffee or tea or just water. Once I became their customer, the staffs when see me outside the store (the OB located in a shopping mall that I often have lunch at) always greet me.
Same experience with Rolex ADs and boutique I’ve been to. The staffs are always nice. Always offer me something to drink.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:03 PM   #51
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My AD has been nothing short of stellar in the sales and service area. I'm made to feel welcome whether I'm buying or just paying a visit. I can't tell you how many times I've just popped in to say hello and chat watches, or simply shoot the breeze.

Maybe it's time to look at another AD if you're not feeling the vibe.
Yes, this has been my experience too.

I'd say treatment is AD-dependent and can vary widely.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:13 PM   #52
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The anticlimactic experience I've had has little or nothing to do with AD or Boutiques and almost everything to do with the watches I've collected. Frankly between all the Rolex, Omegas, Tudors, and other sorted brands I pretty much need a spread sheet to keep track of them. Maybe it's a matter of too much too soon but really none of them were special in my eye. I've decided to pair down the collection to a few which I'll keep. The remainder will go sooner or later. It seems I gain satisfaction more from the hunt than the accomplishment. Reminds me of the myth of Sisyphus eternally pushing his bolder.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 03:29 PM   #53
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I have two thoughts on this

1) the sales people may be frustrated. they don't make money when 1000 people per day walk in, ask about stock they don't have, and then walk out

2) Rolex almost sells itself. So crappy salespeople may manage to put up decent numbers and stick around, even though they would fail immediately trying sell anything else
This.

When a product is as well known and respected as Rolex the sales people just don’t have to work as hard.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:03 PM   #54
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

There is also a big difference in the customer service/experience when going to a family owned or smaller AD over a large chain AD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 06:06 PM   #55
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Yeah have a nice day. Go pre-owned or unauthorised if you want to deal with enthusiasts. I hate to tarnish Rolex's rep but generally AD salespersons have no idea what day it is. Selling you a piece of the current stock at full RRP is the only game in town.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:57 PM   #56
regnant
"TRF" Member

I have experienced nothing but great attitude from my AD too. I think when one directly states the model number down to the reference to show that one knows something about watches then AD sales staff would change attitude. There should be a difference between asking if they have a stainless steel model or asking a Submariner 114060 to buy
Old 27 October 2017, 09:01 PM   #57
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Sad to hear the OP's experience; I fared much better on my lone Rolex purchase at an AD in Manchester. They were friendly and helpful while I was in browsing/deciding mode, and then on the day of purchase it was a friendly and unhurried experience. I even got a bottle of champagne, as it was my birthday :) Went back a month after for a bracelet resizing and they were welcoming and helpful again. You'd think every AD would see it as good business to make the experience special, if they have a chance of attracting repeat business for a multi-thousand pound purchase!
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 09:18 PM   #58
Spectre007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16030 DJ
I'm going to have to second what people are saying about switching to a different AD if you don't get a good vibe. Also want to second the opinion that smaller family owned AD's are better to deal with.
I'm lucky enough to have one near me and the people are great.

My question, though, is if you come in and pay full MSRP and drop 10 grand on a watch, what are your expectations from the sales staff?
Pour some champagne to celebrate your new purchase with you? lol
Take a group wrist shot with your new watch on to post on their social media?

I'm curious what people expect when this much money is being exchanged
Seiko Modder
Youtuber: WatchRob
Spectre007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 11:13 PM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I can see why plastic surgery is popular. I'm like a model on the turn, used to be I walk into an AD and they would salivate over me and even try to follow me home, but nowadays I get barely a cursory glance from a salesperson who can't be bothered to try to talk me into a sale.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 10:11 AM   #60
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I find it funny that people expect a "special experience" at an AD. They are selling you a watch, not helping to lose your virginity.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote