The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 September 2014, 02:58 AM   #1
eb641
"TRF" Member

Ref 1675 gilt dial

I bought a GMT new in 1966...Later sold it to a friend....A few years ago he had it serviced by a local talented watchmaker who gave him back the original gilt dial, the original faded bezel and the original hands including the small arrow 24 hr. hand....My friend recently asked me if these discards had any value...I said yes but had no idea what it would be....The gilt dial seems to be still about pristine....Any ideas? The watchmaker who did the work (now deceased) worked in the era when Rolex would actually sell parts.
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

do you have any photos of the set? I would be interested in them.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb641 View Post
I bought a GMT new in 1966...Later sold it to a friend....A few years ago he had it serviced by a local talented watchmaker who gave him back the original gilt dial, the original faded bezel and the original hands including the small arrow 24 hr. hand....My friend recently asked me if these discards had any value...I said yes but had no idea what it would be....The gilt dial seems to be still about pristine....Any ideas? The watchmaker who did the work (now deceased) worked in the era when Rolex would actually sell parts.

I suspect many of the folks on the Vintage forum peak here also, but this thread is in the General Discussions forum. Before you get flooded with Personal Messages offering to buy, perhaps consider posting a thread in the Vintage Discussion forum?
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 02:38 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
I suspect many of the folks on the Vintage forum peak here also, but this thread is in the General Discussions forum. Before you get flooded with Personal Messages offering to buy, perhaps consider posting a thread in the Vintage Discussion forum?
Taken care of.

OP, as mentioned photos would be awesome. Consider how the dial and hands are being stored as well. Inside the watch they have all the protection they need. Outside is a much different story as humidity etc... can ravage over time.

Another point to consider is that bringing the watch back to original is simply a matter of replacing the originals. Doing such really enhances value as not only is it period correct, but original.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2014, 09:39 AM   #5
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Score if not knackered! Dial & hand sets (small arrow) open chapter gilt in nice condition can go $2500-4k depending how lucky you are. IMHO
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2014, 08:06 AM   #6
eb641
"TRF" Member

Not for buyers

This was merely a query as to value....Should my friend be interested in selling, will post in correct classified forum....personally, I'm amazed at their possible value.
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote