The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 August 2017, 08:35 PM   #391
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
OP, great argument. Good points and I agree with you but this is the way rolex have always been. Controlling the supply for some models like the SS Daytona for many years now.... I feel your frustration..
Old 3 August 2017, 05:58 PM   #392
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_e View Post
It depends what you bought £25k on ss sports rolex is very different to spending £25k on a precious metal watch.....thats what got me the daytona, not sales value but type of sale, dealers can sell ss sports easy, its the precious metal thats harder and thats when you get rewarded.

Yes I got one on demand if I paid full price for a PM watch, the deal came about when I explained that I could buy the watch new far cheaper elsewhere and maybe we could do a deal with a hard to get Rolex and no discount on the PM.

He established that I was a collector so i am sure that had a lot to do with it too - no flipping it to a grey dealer.

Dealers keep SS Daytonas in the safe. If you were to walk into an AD and say you will buy a platinum daytona if you can have a ss daytona at the same time then I bet you they have one in stock........

I am sure you will get one, you will just wait a little longer. Hold in there, they are worth the wait.
thanks very much as it makes sense

i bought two watches - a white gold and 'leather' DD and a s/s and Rose Gold DJ

i did however get very good discounts on both

i have been promised the Daytona within a year so thats fine
Old 4 August 2017, 09:05 PM   #393
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

In reality, the waiting list is all for show. Money talks in this game, and if you are a regular customer who has spent a lot of money with a dealership, that's when a SS Daytona makes itself available. In my experience, the list is a waste of time - many a time I've called the first dozen or so people on the list, none of them was ready to buy, or didn't want the dial colour etc. In such a situation, it's much more effective to offer it to someone who you know will purchase it
Old 4 August 2017, 09:10 PM   #394
wb55
"TRF" Member

I wonder if anyone has ever bought a PM watch on the condition they get a Daytona at the same time and on the same receipt then returned the Daytona a few days later ha
Old 4 August 2017, 10:51 PM   #395
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If someone bought both a D500 and a PM but wanted to return the PM shortly afterwards, surely the AD has to accept that and you get to keep the D500?
Old 21 October 2017, 12:31 AM   #396
wongwong5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I respect Rolex's right to restrict supply and demand and run their businees although 7-8 years is nuts. Is there a chance the AD might not have all the facts?

Correct. I myself like their "marketing plot" - makes sense for them. AD should check again if he is correct 7-8 is indeed insane.
Old 21 October 2017, 01:34 AM   #397
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
OK, sorry...I know I am going to piss off some people off with this. I really don't mean to. And I am sorry, but where else am I going to make this comment? I genuinely hope someone from Rolex sees this, even though I am quite certain they could not care less.

I am out of state on business. And after my conference, a buddy and I decide to walk the strip. Of course we see a Rolex store and decide to browse. We meet a really excellent sales guy. He was not overly knowledgable about certain details, but he was polite, attentive and definitely good at what he does.

I finally see the new WG Daytona in blue, which is really an astonishing watch. Anyone out there wearing this watch.... Wow. It is incredible. And krioke, Rolex does blue exceptionally well.

We talk watches for a bit and of course we talk about the new Daytona C. So unless you have a prior sales experience with this AD you are not even on the list. It is not going to happen. Never, ever. If you have a prior sales experience with them, you are likely waiting 7 to 8 years.

OK, wait..what?

As Padi says, this is not a new watch. It is easy for them to make. They can fill the demand, sell a ton of watches and make ton of money...just like most businesses want to do.

They do this for their marketing machine. They do this to create the mystique. And I am sorry, but I just don't respect this. Be a watch company. Make great watches, make people happy selling them great watches.

Do I respect their watches? Yes, they make incredible watches. But this type of sales gimmick just turns me off. Big time. And they have gone from the "tool watch" company to the shiny "look at me" watch company.

I really do mostly love what they put out. And much of what they have has a great redeeming quality to it. But I am just not on board with this.

And yes yes yes...I know, if I don't like it, I should not buy it. Ok, I won't, and I can get one if I want one. It is a forum about Rolex watches and I am making a comment. If you want to respond in kind, great, it is a forum and I will respect and appreciate your opinion.

Sorry to anyone I offend. Rant over.
There’s no need to apologise when it’s a fact, Rolex, let show everyone’s what they could have had.
Old 21 October 2017, 01:45 AM   #398
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
This might be a dumb question, they are only 'limiting' supply on the new Daytona SS's, not the RG & ER, correct?

To add to this thread, honestly, this would make the Daytona's as a real investment opportunity, compared to a DD Platinum that I just saw on the forums for $24k. Isn't that nearly 50% off? (Granted its from early 2000's but still).

-R
Old 21 October 2017, 02:01 AM   #399
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If someone bought both a D500 and a PM but wanted to return the PM shortly afterwards, surely the AD has to accept that and you get to keep the D500?
This is brilliant.

I'm going in and looking for a DD40 and Daytona C - I'll walk outside, put the Daytona in my car, walk back in and return the DD40.
Old 21 October 2017, 02:02 AM   #400
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
This might be a dumb question, they are only 'limiting' supply on the new Daytona SS's, not the RG & ER, correct?

To add to this thread, honestly, this would make the Daytona's as a real investment opportunity, compared to a DD Platinum that I just saw on the forums for $24k. Isn't that nearly 50% off? (Granted its from early 2000's but still).

-R
List is $37,500 I believe on the new DD40, they can be had on this forum for $25k.

Edit, oops, I was talking WG/YG
Old 21 October 2017, 02:16 AM   #401
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
If they would only mass produce Ferraris.......
Old 21 October 2017, 02:40 AM   #402
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexG View Post
If they would only mass produce Ferraris.......
Far from apples to apples.

Let's use Mercedes as a better example. I drive a GLE, while more expensive than your standard SUV, still within reach for a good amount of the population. Now, hypothetically I walked into a dealership and they said; "Mr. Tbonesteak, I can't sell you a GLE because you've never purchased an SL63 AMG," I would leave and never buy another GLE again.
Old 21 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #403
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.S View Post
High demand / control supply = $$$
I agree Seth, I am not a fan of this type of marketing, but it is the way of the world.
seems to be working, a lot of hype over this model.

high demand / control supply = $$£££$££$££$ No this does not add up at all , supply and demand are fine but the systems fails when its the grey dealers making the biggest mark up lol. Think about it do you think Rolex make as much per watch as the grays do ? . So if it was a 1 year wait then most would do just that 2-3-4-10 Years is a complete joke .
Old 1 November 2017, 03:33 AM   #404
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_911tt View Post
These marketing tactics are largely the reason Rolex is arguably the greatest brand in the world. It also is a big reason why your Rolex watch holds its value more than nearly any other watch.

Rolex could always take the approach of another brand, say Omega, and you'd have plenty of watches and poor resale value.

I do understand your frustration, but it's part of the luxury business. Look in the off topic forum for a recent thread about the new GT3 at 50k over MSRP.
This.

Ian Fleming
Old 1 November 2017, 05:51 PM   #405
Mangas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Great post. And I do know the game. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Or for that matter, play it.
Indeed , we all have choices and can make any one we want
Old 1 November 2017, 05:53 PM   #406
Mangas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Blames Rolex for not changing enough on the Daytona. Loves a watch that's unchanged for 60 years.
Old 1 November 2017, 06:21 PM   #407
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
One of the assertions in the opening OP statement is that Rolex can easily make the Daytona and can easily fill demand. Does anyone know if this is really true? Does anyone remember the last time there was an abundance of Daytonas?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 1 November 2017, 06:41 PM   #408
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I understand the cynicism associated with waiting lists but I think it depends on the AD.

I once put my name on the waiting list for a steel Daytona in Zurich and got the call about 3 years later, paying full retail but no premium.

I bought the watch, used it for a few years then flipped it because I couldn't stand the sight of scratches on the bezel.

Needless to say, I've put my name on the list at the same AD for the ceramic Daytona - even though they've said it could take up to 7 years!
Old 1 November 2017, 06:48 PM   #409
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I respect Rolex for limiting production on certain watches vs. price gouging
By setting a strict market price on most of their offerings

IE: new release cars going for $5-30k over sticker @ dealers

Mr Bond, I suppose you wouldn't care to... um... raise the limit?
I have no objections. Looks like you're out to get me.
It's an idea, at that.
Old 1 November 2017, 07:04 PM   #410
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

Well..I did the same with my restaurants....I purposely limit the tables to create always full image and when you can turn away guests w/o reservations...the image is set. Rolex would probably lost big % of its customer if they produce on par with demand as for some image is the most important part.
Old 1 November 2017, 07:51 PM   #411
gaoxing84
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
happened to me when i was in iceland, i had to buy a diamond filled datejust for ladies before I am eligible to purchase the daytonaC at retail.

same goes for Singapore, either you pay above retail or they simply tell you its out of stocks.

pretty absurb, i think rolex gotta control their AD more.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:15 PM   #412
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
One of the assertions in the opening OP statement is that Rolex can easily make the Daytona and can easily fill demand. Does anyone know if this is really true? Does anyone remember the last time there was an abundance of Daytonas?
I have zero doubts Rolex has the capability to fill demand. The last time there was an abundance was before they decided to manipulate the production.

Rolex may have been constricted when they were buying the movements from zenith etc but with everything in house, there is no excuse other than the purposeful limiting of production to stoke the fire.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:33 PM   #413
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have zero doubts Rolex has the capability to fill demand. The last time there was an abundance was before they decided to manipulate the production.

Rolex may have been constricted when they were buying the movements from zenith etc but with everything in house, there is no excuse other than the purposeful limiting of production to stoke the fire.
Yes, or they could easily divert resources from the endless DJs and TT/PM models which dominate most AD windows now.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:34 PM   #414
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
My experience of the UK market is that since the Zenith days, S/S Daytonas have always had a waiting list (of years) and commanded a premium on the grey/pre owned market.

Any manufacturing facility has a production limit (obviously). Even if readily available, I doubt Daytonas would be close to the top of Rolex' best sellers so why divert production from better selling references just to satisfy the wants of a (comparative) few?

We have a very specific demographic here in the forums.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:38 PM   #415
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the lists are legitimate. A lot of people who have money and buy a lot of Rolex want the Daytona and that is the problem. The ADs I talk to say they cannot get the watch period. One or two a year makes for a long list.
Old 2 November 2017, 12:54 AM   #416
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
As stated by others, this can only happen if they decrease production of a different product in order to divert resources. Otherwise Rolex would have to build new manufacturing facilities, you seldom have manufacturing facilities not operating at 100% capacity as that is just plain bad in business.
Old 2 November 2017, 10:20 PM   #417
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
My experience of the UK market is that since the Zenith days, S/S Daytonas have always had a waiting list (of years) and commanded a premium on the grey/pre owned market.

Any manufacturing facility has a production limit (obviously). Even if readily available, I doubt Daytonas would be close to the top of Rolex' best sellers so why divert production from better selling references just to satisfy the wants of a (comparative) few?

We have a very specific demographic here in the forums.
Pound for pound, I think the SS Daytona would only be behind the Subc for sales, not counting the myriad of DJ combos. Aside from this forum I see Daytonas on a lot of celeb's wrists, as often as Subs actually, so I think it is generally regarded as highly aspirational and a very good sign of success.
Old 3 November 2017, 03:28 AM   #418
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
If they do in fact know what they're doing by limiting supply of the DaytonaC, which could push some people to purchase grey then wouldn't most weigh it up and get a PM Daytona? I understand the SS holds it value better than PM. then again its whether they want the watch so desperately on their wrist. Rather than pander to paying a premium I'd save abit more and get the WG version which is equally as stunning

I guess I could be alone in this thought process.....
Old 3 November 2017, 04:16 AM   #419
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
If you consider their sales campaigns from the earliest days, they were pretty much always a "look at me" company. Their advertising was all about owning pieces with bragging rights to great feats such as crossing channels, climbing the highest mountains, hitting the deepest part of the ocean. Do these advertising statements have utility for the lifestyle or sport style of 99.9999999% of the world? Nope. But, it helped build the brand identity as synonymous with the best possible quality. And, people generally want to be identified with having the best quality. That's what has made Rolex so successful.

They weren't the first diving watch. Omega beat them to that title. Some would argue they weren't even the first diving spec watch and that the 1953 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the first. There have been plenty of other brands that cover the same ground as far as utility and tools are concerned. Rolex has built itself largely on advertising as being the best at those things. The "look at me" ethos isn't new to Rolex, it's merely changed forms over the last century.
Old 3 November 2017, 04:17 AM   #420
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
I guess I could be alone in this thought process.....
You are not alone.

I don't share that view, personally, although for someone who's thinking about paying a price for steel that approaches PM, then that certainly is the smarter route.

The better route in my opinion is to forget about the Daytona until one becomes available at MSRP and in the meantime enjoy any one of the myriad chronographs available on the market.

I like Rolex immensely, but I'm not into playing games or wasting money.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Closed Thread