The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 April 2017, 11:44 AM   #31
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

The same reason you're upset is probably the same reason you love their watches.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:45 AM   #32
saralk
Banned

Watch: AP Bumbel Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Thank you my friend. I appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2017, 11:46 AM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_911tt View Post
These marketing tactics are largely the reason Rolex is arguably the greatest brand in the world. It also is a big reason why your Rolex watch holds its value more than nearly any other watch.

Rolex could always take the approach of another brand, say Omega, and you'd have plenty of watches and poor resale value.

I do understand your frustration, but it's part of the luxury business. Look in the off topic forum for a recent thread about the new GT3 at 50k over MSRP.
I saw that. I am also not OK with that either.

And I really do get it. I do. There are a lot of people that will be OK doing this.

I am just not one of them. And it turns me off from the brand. Sadly.

And fwiw, I love Omega. I have a story about Omega from today as well that I will post soon. I am an Omega guy through and through. Poor resale and all. Maybe I am sucker. But I am quite content with with my watches as they are.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 5 April 2017, 11:47 AM   #34
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Thanks Seth aka Superdog for the rant.

It's about time we hear someone speak up against the Rolex marketing gimmick with regards to the Daytona watch. I was on waiting list for the white dial late last year but was told it could take me anywhere from 3-5 years to get my piece. So I told the AD to forget about it and take me off the list.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:48 AM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmt2 View Post
The same reason you're upset is probably the same reason you love their watches.
I have not one Rolex in my collection currently. Largely because I do not like the brand.

Yes, I love and appreciate many of their watches. I am just not OK with representing the brand.

I respect that most here do like the brand. I very much so do. Currently, it is just not for me.

And that is coming from a guy that REALLY wants a DJ41 in steel. I love that watch.

I am just not sure I am OK with wearing it.

Old 5 April 2017, 11:50 AM   #36
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
A lot of companies that sell non-essential, high end/luxury goods seem to be doing this these days.

In my opinion it seems these companies are trying to convince their customers that they are being gracious in suppling the product - the customer should be the one feeling grateful for the service, as opposed to the company for the custom.

Maybe this is sensible...we are currently in a time when many people can afford nice things and they may be trying to avoid "burning the candle at both ends" by sating the all these "new-money" customers all at once.
Old 5 April 2017, 11:51 AM   #37
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
Thanks Seth aka Superdog for the rant.

It's about time we hear someone speak up against the Rolex marketing gimmick with regards to the Daytona watch. I was on waiting list for the white dial late last year but was told it could take me anywhere from 3-5 years to get my piece. So I told the AD to forget about it and take me off the list.

Thanks for that!

Old 5 April 2017, 12:14 PM   #38
chicagonoob
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing with interest
Fair and thoughtful take. It should be noted that the Rolex boutique on Michigan Ave in Chicago (I gather this was the spot?) is owned by Tourneau, so the info from the sales associate shouldn't be taken as directly from the OEM. That being said, your point is a salient one!

Hope you enjoyed Chicago - lots of top notch watch boutiques in and around the mag mile!
Old 5 April 2017, 12:16 PM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
There are plenty available.

The market for the Daytona as it exists is as much to blame as Rolex...we are the market.

I waited 1 week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2312.jpg (161.6 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5390.jpg (184.5 KB, 862 views)
Old 5 April 2017, 12:21 PM   #40
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
I agree, Seth. It's ridiculous and Rolex doesn't need this gimmick to maintain their appearance as a status symbol. They think by limiting output makes people want the model even more. And maybe it does, but it's really frustrating. I want one. But I can't get one. I can afford it MSRP. I can't afford the dealer mark up prices. So I'm just out of luck.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:22 PM   #41
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
I agree with you but its subjective to the AD, I don't believe they are all this way. I am as equally irritated by by the gray market dealers who are decreasing AD supply while doing it only for excessive profit. I want one and am on the list and will hopefully have one in a year but I will not pay over retail for one.
Agree. These ADs have created a modern day Tulip Mania and the greys have only served to make it even worse.

The snippets that follow come from Wikipedia:
  • Tulip mania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed.
  • At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman.
  • The term "tulip mania" is now often used metaphorically to refer to any large economic bubble when asset prices deviate from intrinsic values.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:38 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Every good watch brand has watches that are tough to come by. Rolex chooses to make it the Daytona. Don't blame Rolex, blame the ADs who are backdooring them to the grey market.

I didn't get a silver snoopy. (Nor did I want one)

I couldnt find a 5711 blue in the next few months if I wanted one.

I couldn't get a AP perpetual ceramic at retail if I wanted one this spring/summer

Think of the Patek collectors who have spent nearly half a mill and don't have a 5131.

You know the game Seth. We all do.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:42 PM   #43
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Every good watch brand has watches that are tough to come by. Rolex chooses to make it the Daytona. Don't blame Rolex, blame the ADs who are backdooring them to the grey market.

I didn't get a silver snoopy. (Nor did I want one)

I couldnt find a 5711 blue in the next few months if I wanted one.

I couldn't get a AP perpetual ceramic at retail if I wanted one this spring/summer

Think of the Patek collectors who have spent nearly half a mill and don't have a 5131.

You know the game Seth. We all do.
Great post. And I do know the game. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Or for that matter, play it.

Old 5 April 2017, 12:47 PM   #44
teo
"TRF" Member

What about patek philippe nautilus waiting list? A simple watch with 3 hands.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:48 PM   #45
teo
"TRF" Member

What about patek philippe nautilus waiting list a simple watch with 3 hands?
Old 5 April 2017, 12:49 PM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great post. And I do know the game. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Or for that matter, play it.
That is certainly your right my friend

For the record, I heard a similar line from the N Michigan ave boutique last August. I was fully expecting it but much like a free lotto ticket I couldn't help but play the game

Also funny that when I was there I was blown away by the DD40 blue dial. Still haven't added one. Some day
Old 5 April 2017, 12:50 PM   #47
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
I really don't understand this game. I understand when DeBeers limits supply to drive up prices, But would Rolex can set the prices as they wish, do they think not producing more watches when there is a market will increase the number of people who want the watch?
Old 5 April 2017, 12:50 PM   #48
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I get where you are coming from and I can understand your frustration. It doesn't really bother me but maybe that's because I'm not in the market for that particular piece. Could you explain why you feel so strongly about this? To the point that you don't even want to represent the brand by wearing one? I say this with all due respect but I feel like that is maybe a little over the top.

You have to consider that Rolex is one of the best brands in the world when it comes to branding and image. They know what they are doing. There is a reason that the Rolex brand is known by just about everyone on the planet. There is a reason that Rolex has that mystique surrounding it. They have carefully built the image they want. I think you have to respect the fact that they don't flood the market just to make a quick buck. I also appreciate the fact that it keeps the resale value high. I feel that if they pumped out as many units as they could sell, it would in some way cheapen the brand. Maybe I'm wrong...

Maybe it would be better if they were more upfront about it? If they came out and said that production will be limited to X number of units per year.

Old 5 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #49
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Same as Patek with 5711s. Create overwhelming demand by limiting supply to a relatively large pool of interested buyers. As the pool of interested buyers shrinks for any number of reasons i.e. economy, demographics, consumer trends and preferences, etc. that marketing strategy expires. In the meantime, we are stuck with it like it or not with the option to spend our money elsewhere.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:52 PM   #50
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I have not one Rolex in my collection currently. Largely because I do not like the brand.
Wow, didn't realize this. It changes the perception of the post from Rolex lover's rant to something else!
Old 5 April 2017, 12:54 PM   #51
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I hear ya Seth. I waited almost a year for one, and then when my number came up and I was about to hand over my credit card, they told me I had to engrave the back in order to leave with it. This disgusted me and made me lose my taste for the watch completely. No thanks Rolex, I'll get a new 60th Anniv Speedmaster instead.

I still love Rolex and happily wear them, and I get why they hype it like that, but it's just not a game I want to play.
Old 5 April 2017, 12:55 PM   #52
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Seth, didn't you buy two or three stickered BNIB Rolexes a while back, to keep in the safe as investments for when they got really scarce? Did you sell them already?
Old 5 April 2017, 12:56 PM   #53
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

I neither respect nor hate this marketing decision. I just understand why they decided to go this route. Personally, I think it will backfire, but we'll see.

Old 5 April 2017, 12:59 PM   #54
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I have no idea what Rolex's reason is for limiting supplies of certain models but feel in the long run they will alienate enough existing customers that it will hurt their sales. Who is going to wait 2,3,4 years to buy a watch ? I'm sure many will find a different one, perhaps another brand to spend their money on.
Sure, new buyers for the brand come along everyday but I'm of the opinion that sales of luxury timepieces may have hit their peak based on what I see younger generations choosing to spend their money on.
Old 5 April 2017, 01:00 PM   #55
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
i agree 100% and sadly as i have stated in other posts "we" are responsible for doing this to ourselves...
If we were not prepared to pay over retail and stuck to our guns they wouldnt continue to hold us over a barrel. But because they hype and the select few that are prepared to pay waaaaay over a premium price it enables them to continue..

There is not a shortage of them if anything they are everywhere and i can find them without an issue...but... i rufuse to pay the utterly ludicrous price they are asking!!!
I saw one on ebay australia for $30k aud.. what the!!!??????

If all of a sudden everyone decided that they didnt want to pay a premium and walked away i bet the prices would drop dramatically and the grey dealers wouldnt be getting so greedy nor would the AD be "blackmailing" you into purchasing 1-2 other watches before they will sell you one.

Its all bad business in my book and i refuse to participate (as thats my choice) i honestly wouldnt be surprised if Rolex had an abundance of stock piled up in the warehouse in SA and were just sending out enough to keep the hype up...... after all they are one hell of a marketing machine.

And to ad insult to injury its a standard production run model... its not even a limited edition so all this crap about people buying them and storing them away..... there will be thousands and thousands more made so its not exclusive and wont be for another 50+ years

Wait till in a couple of years when they will prob release them with different colour dials then the good old "black and white" will prob loose more popularity ... Panda ceramic daytona would be the next " have to have" and the current ones will loose their shine i reckon(** note: im saying they will im speaking figuratively)

this is just my 2 cents and at todays exchange rate in Malaysia isnyt worth much anyway so feel free to ignore my ramblings
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 5 April 2017, 01:00 PM   #56
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

OP, I hear you. As much as I want one, I've pretty much given up, and I've sworn myself to refrain from making anymore pathetic calls begging my AD to do me the favor of accepting my $12,400. I suspect that some of those getting jerked around on the Daytona will find something else. FWIW, I've been eyeing the Omega Speedmaster '57 and JLC Reverso. I can get both for about the same price as the Daytona... without the hassle!
Old 5 April 2017, 01:00 PM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Seth, didn't you buy two or three stickered BNIB Rolexes a while back, to keep in the safe as investments for when they got really scarce? Did you sell them already?
can't sneak by Adam

Another comment I was thinking. I prefer hearing from the Rolex ADs we have a long list and aren't taking names to what Patek tells you. "Patek doesn't want to become the nautilus company so they limit production"

imagine the Rolex AD telling you Rolex doesn't want to become the Cellini company, so they are limiting production.
Old 5 April 2017, 01:00 PM   #58
WARVET
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
The short answer is they(Rolex) do it because they can do it. The answer is don't buy it
Old 5 April 2017, 01:02 PM   #59
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I hear ya Seth. I waited almost a year for one, and then when my number came up and I was about to hand over my credit card, they told me I had to engrave the back in order to leave with it. This disgusted me and made me lose my taste for the watch completely. No thanks Rolex, I'll get a new 60th Anniv Speedmaster instead.

I still love Rolex and happily wear them, and I get why they hype it like that, but it's just not a game I want to play.

I totally disagree with forcing people to engrave but isn't that decision made by the AD and not Rolex themselves?
Old 5 April 2017, 01:03 PM   #60
Atleo
Banned

Tldr. Tool watch. Brand cachet.

Closed Thread