The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2017, 02:43 AM   #1
dbronken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-MII "Fat Lady"
Uneven Patination on GMT-Master II

Hi, all!
Newcomer to the Rolex club and to the forum community.

I just purchased a Ref. 16760 Fat Lady. I searched for years and finally paid a world-record price when I found her (one-owner, full set).

My concern is the uneven patination between the hour/minute hands and the second/GMT hands and indices.

The seller said it had only been serviced once (in 2011) and insists the hands were not swapped. The hour/minute hands are certainly aged (small mark on the base of the minute and pitting on the surrounds of each).

My question is, is it possible for these two hands to patina at a different rate from the other hands and indices?

Thanks, in-advance, for helping to ease my nerves or expose some dishonesty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dbronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:10 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Any part that is tritium can "age" at a different rate than other pieces on the same watch..

Nobody knows when, or with what batch, a particular piece was painted, as all parts are made individually and matched up at a later date for installation.
Old 10 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #3
dbronken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Any part that is tritium can "age" at a different rate than other pieces on the same watch..

Nobody knows when, or with what batch, a particular piece was painted, as all parts are made individually and matched up at a later date for installation.

Thank you for the response! So, in your opinion, I shouldn't be concerned?

Old 10 July 2017, 05:44 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronken View Post
Thank you for the response! So, in your opinion, I shouldn't be concerned?
Concerns and desires are two different things. Everybody likes the looks of matching hands and dials, even if they are not original to the watch.

Die-hard collectors may want original, even if mismatched, because originality is king with most any collection.

Proper restoration is another ball of wax that is an admirable goal. Many seek period correct, matching, parts.
Old 10 July 2017, 05:45 AM   #5
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
The most common advice on the forum in these situations is to "buy the seller." Is the seller a well known and trusted dealer or some guy in a back alley? Those are the two extremes on the spectrum, but you get the point.

Does everything else check out with the watch? Box, papers, and pictures of the movement?

Also, you may want to ask this over in the vintage Rolex section. There are a lot of folks in there that know a lot about Rolex lume and how it ages. If you're able to see the watch firsthand, just turn out the lights and see if the hands put off a lot more glow than everything else.

Good luck.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 05:50 AM   #6
dbronken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Concerns and desires are two different things. Everybody likes the looks of matching hands and dials, even if they are not original to the watch.

Die-hard collectors may want original, even if mismatched, because originality is king with most any collection.

Proper restoration is another ball of wax that is an admirable goal. Many seek period correct, matching, parts.

Thank you!

I'm in the purist camp; preferring all original parts, regardless of aesthetic. I think (after hearing from you) that this is exactly what I have.

Old 10 July 2017, 06:14 AM   #7
dbronken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
The most common advice on the forum in these situations is to "buy the seller." Is the seller a well known and trusted dealer or some guy in a back alley? Those are the two extremes on the spectrum, but you get the point.

Does everything else check out with the watch? Box, papers, and pictures of the movement?

Also, you may want to ask this over in the vintage Rolex section. There are a lot of folks in there that know a lot about Rolex lume and how it ages. If you're able to see the watch firsthand, just turn out the lights and see if the hands put off a lot more glow than everything else.

Good luck.

Thank you!

I completely bought the seller.
He bought the piece, new, in '86. The set came with inner/outer boxes, two hang tags, price tag (with matching serial), manual, auto-lock bezel manual, and Rolex warranty paper. An impressively complete set.

Regarding the lume on the hands, interestingly there is no glow, at all, on any of the hands. Only the indices light. I think that's a good sign, confirming a 32-year-old piece. Would you agree?

Thanks, again!