The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2017, 02:10 AM   #1
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
Orbita Rotorwind

Does anyone have experience with a new Sub (114060 3130) and an orbita rotorwind? When I wear my watch it loses about 1-2 secs per day but when I leave it on the orbita it loses 6-7 secs per day.

I am new to the forum so please be kind.
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:43 AM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Welcome; you'll find there is a group who hate winders except for the wrist or for watches with significant complications!!! I'm not of that group but stopped using a winder due to the fact that although convenient they do add to the wear on the watch by not letting it ever stop. I've in general stopped using them except when I want the convenience for watches I frequently wear or for those that are a pain to set. That said, the 114060 is easily set so it wouldn't go on a winder unless I was under pressure to wear it quickly.

I've noticed some watches do keep time differently on a winder. Some in the past have suggest that this could be due to magnetization. With older Rolex watches there was sensitivity to position as far as timing was concerned. Regulation could be done by placing on the bed side in different positions. I'd look to one of those two mechanisms as a possible culprit although with a modern movement like in the 114060 I kind of doubt position is the issue.

Another possibility is the amount of spring tension and how well wound the watch is. Not so certain on this one however.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:15 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
i have an older orbita i rarely use now, but i notice no time changes beyond the norm... which is what you're describing.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:47 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew View Post
Does anyone have experience with a new Sub (114060 3130) and an orbita rotorwind? When I wear my watch it loses about 1-2 secs per day but when I leave it on the orbita it loses 6-7 secs per day.

Any mechanical watch will respond differently on a winder than on the wrist. A winder does not exert any real external forces while wearing it exerts angular movement, temperature changes, gravity adjustment and unbalanced vibrations.

Be sure to fully wind your watch before putting it on a "winder" first for best performance.
Old 20 October 2017, 05:14 AM   #5
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:

Could be a variety of reasons, but I don't believe there's a problem.

Generally speaking, when worn on the wrist, the movement is oriented in a variety of positions. Some positions result in a slower watch, and some in a faster watch. Typically, when the watch dial is vertical (as is typical in most watch winders), there is more friction between the balance staff and the jewel in which it is resting, which results in the movement slowing slightly. When oriented with the dial up, the staff is centered in the concave depression of the jewel, and there is less friction, so it runs "normally". Hope that makes sense.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 01:03 AM   #6
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the responses, very good information. Would you guys say that a brand new sub losing 6-7 secs a day sitting on a winder sounds about normal?
I'm going to try an old fashioned wolf winder and see if the results are the same.
Unfortunately I simply cannot wear my nice watches to work and some of them would sit for weeks even months without movement. I leave my Breitling Montbrillant (B01) in the orbita all the time and it only loses a few secs a month. Is the consensus that I should just let my watches sit (better for the movement?) rather than keep them moving? How long would you guys say is too long for a watch to sit?
Old 21 October 2017, 02:02 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thank you for all the responses, very good information. Would you guys say that a brand new sub losing 6-7 secs a day sitting on a winder sounds about normal?
I'm going to try an old fashioned wolf winder and see if the results are the same.
Unfortunately I simply cannot wear my nice watches to work and some of them would sit for weeks even months without movement. I leave my Breitling Montbrillant (B01) in the orbita all the time and it only loses a few secs a month. Is the consensus that I should just let my watches sit (better for the movement?) rather than keep them moving? How long would you guys say is too long for a watch to sit?
First no Rolex watch needs any sort of machine winder just let them stop till needed on the wrist to tell you the time.As for the movement being stopped well at the Rolex factory they must have thousands stopped and stored
movements waiting to be match to its case.So the movement like say the cal 3135 in your sub could be days, weeks, months, or even a year old before its cased.Then shipped around the world wide to the ADs for sale.Do you see the ADs with watches on a machine winder for sale at the AD stores no.But if any watch is stored for say more than a month just give it a small manual wind just to start the movement that will be fine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 02:47 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
If it keeps good time on your wrist the other wouldn't worry me a bit.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 07:46 AM   #9
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Agreed with what others have said. I routinely let some of my watches stop and they can remain unworn for a month or two. At most, I’ll manually wind them once a month just to keep the “juices” flowing, though I’m sure it’s not a necessity.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:00 AM   #10
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I would also check the setting you have the watch winder set to....I believe the sub settings are both directions and 650 revolutions .
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 01:08 AM   #11
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the info.