The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 October 2017, 09:59 PM   #31
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Rolex does seem to be moving away from the cartoony 'hiphop era'. LOL
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:33 PM   #32
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Love the maxi 6 digit case, 5 digit and 4 digit !

However, I would hesitate in going back to a 5 digit case, only a vintage 4 digit would make me happy over a 6 digit.

To me, a 40mm sports watch that wears a bit bigger, is a perfect contemporary size.

Rolex have created a design classic, of the time. imo
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:41 PM   #33
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
The only changes if they happen will be a new tapered bracelet and a larger bezel, otherwise will stay consistent with current model.

The current case design shares aesthetics with the rectangular look of early Subs, such as the 6204.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:48 PM   #34
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
I love a lot of the ceramic subs features, but man those lugs just don’t gel with the bracelet IMHO. I’m also holding out that they’ll slim them down, and I’m optimistic it’s coming given the recent improvements in the DD, DJ and SD. Whether they’ll keep the size, or move to 42mm I don’t know.

All Rolex would need to do is use the current Sub, take some metal off of the inside of those lugs and put on a new bracelet that has more gradual taper.
Old 21 October 2017, 12:25 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Personally I'd love it if they ditched the maxi-case and just made the watches a little larger 41-42mm. If you look at the proportions on the SD43, they look so much better. The case flows into the bracelet perfectly. Seems obvious the maxi-case was designed simply to make a 40mm watch wear a little larger - thereby attempting to please the purists who believe the Sub should always be 40mm, and please the next generation by making the watch appear larger than it is.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:36 AM   #36
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I think smaller, more in proportion lugs are the way Rolex is moving. A good move IMHO. Most Rolex buyers want what’s new, regardless of the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #37
wongwong5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Rolex doesn't move backwards, only forward. Why redesign something that sells. It is only the traditionalists on watch forums who seem to take issue with the 6 digit Sub and GMT case proportions and want to revert to the past.
This is very true
wongwong5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #38
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Rolex doesn't move backwards, only forward. Why redesign something that sells. It is only the traditionalists on watch forums who seem to take issue with the 6 digit Sub and GMT case proportions and want to revert to the past.
I more or less agree with this, but look at the DJ2 and DJ41, and the DD2 and DD40.

I understand the differences, especially in the feedback and success of the different watches, but still, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Another (admittedly loose) example would be the new SD43. The reason why this example doesn't work quite as well, as because the SD43 is the successor of the SD4K, however I think most people consider the SD43 the watch that the DSSD should have always been.

Anyway, point being with enough feedback who knows would Rolex would do.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:48 AM   #39
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Lets not forget the original submariner was considered a huge watch. The 114060 is true to the original, large lugs, tapered bracelet maxi dial.....its the modern evolution of a classic, I don't think they will go back, but who knows.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rpr_6538Rolexsub114060.jpg (276.5 KB, 246 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:35 AM   #40
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
I think smaller, more in proportion lugs are the way Rolex is moving. A good move IMHO. Most Rolex buyers want what’s new, regardless of the design.

It certainly appears as though Rolex is pulling back from the SubC proportions.

As far as what most Rolex buyers want.
Some just want the latest and greatest.
Others only want to have a "Rolex" without much understanding of the brand and what a Rolex is.
And others just simply want to be able to buy one that's made out of Rolex's Unobtainium regardless of style or features.
Some have given the game away altogether and stuck with vintage Rolex.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:41 AM   #41
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Yup. I love the maxicase. To me it's a return to the original oyster design. I do appreciate the bevels on older models but will pick a six digit out of the pile every time when strapping one on. The way the bezel overhangs the case on older GMTs plus the much too small to my eyes Twinlock crown are a deal breaker for me.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:41 AM   #42
Rolexfanboy82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
This! I’ve owned multiple 16610’s, multiple 116610’s and an SDC4K all at the same time! The silhouetted dimensions on The SDC4K as well as the larger Explorer II and the new SD 43 for that matter are better proportionately and integrate more naturally w/ the bracelet!
Nonsense!!!! Classic Case are way better propositioned..
Rolexfanboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:44 AM   #43
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Where are you seeing this in the sport model line?
Old 21 October 2017, 08:01 AM   #44
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
Where are you seeing this in the sport model line?

The Seadweller that was just discontinued and the new red Seadweller

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 11:04 AM   #45
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
Big case is fine. I would only change the lug/bracelet width to 22mm
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 04:14 PM   #46
regnant
"TRF" Member

One of the reasons why I prefer Submariner over upscale Sea Dweller is the width of lugs. They give and enhance the robust tool watch characteristics of the watch without upsetting the overall design anesthetics. They are perfect sized, neither too thin nor too beefy
Old 21 October 2017, 04:21 PM   #47
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
The submariner sells because it is the most iconic sports watch out there. Pretty sure it was still selling well before the redesign in 2010, and it would sell if they redesigned it to widen the lugs further and changed the markers to plastic instead of white gold.

The current proportions are poorly executed giving the case a blocky appearance that does not flow well with the bracelet. Given the overhaul of the Datejust 2 in such a short timespan to fix the chunky lugs, and the slim case of the SD43, I would be surprised if we do not see a new sub and gmt in the next few years with the 3235 and better lug design. I would guess that current 6 digit submariners take a hit when a portion of owners flip them for the newer model, but who knows.
My thoughts exactly

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 04:53 PM   #48
maton12
"TRF" Member

We're getting bigger as a race, with many wanting a larger watch and they'll continue to sell every SD43 for many years to come

The SD4K was bought by a few WIS who are now hoping they inch their way up in value after nobody bought them

Rolex wont go backwards, believe the next sub could well be somewhere between 40 and 43mm before they would slim the lugs closer to a five digit model
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:23 PM   #49
G Francis
"TRF" Member

I don’t like the Supercase, I traded my sub and Batman in because the proportions just didn’t sit right with me. I felt all Rolex were doing was trying to make a 40mm watch have more presence. Compare either the GMT or Sub next to an Explorer (39mm) and an Explorer 2 at 42mm and they look a little small. If I had to bet they’ll move it to 41/42 mm with the slimmer more classic lugs.
G Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 05:29 PM   #50
NicoM
"TRF" Member

If you look closely as the new SD43, the proportions are slightly different. Lugs and crown guard are a little slimmer. I can imagine a slightl less beefy Submariner in the future. Not quite vintage proportions, but somewhere in between.
NicoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:35 PM   #51
5253Reynolds
Banned

Watch: 116710_ln
In 20 or 30 years there will be a thread titles "will Rolex ever bring back the maxi case."
5253Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 08:59 PM   #52
Indy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If the maxi case is redesigned... I'll be happy I have one! I love the shape of this watch and see the modern day take on the shape compared to the earlier version subs. Nothing at all negative against the 5 digits, I love those as well, but I find the 6 digit to be a much more interesting watch.
Indy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 12:43 AM   #53
904VT
"TRF" Member

I know many fear that Rolex would up the size of the Sub. I don't want it myself.

Why would Rolex increase the size of the Sub though, when they just upped the size of the Sea Dweller. And the cherry on top was the addition of the cyclops. I'm not sure Rolex could think of any more obvious of a clue to say they aren't going to increase the size of the Sub, than the addition of the Cyclops to a larger Sea Dweller.

We can all relax and enjoy a cold one while enjoying our classically sized Subs
Old 22 October 2017, 12:54 AM   #54
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
there are always purists who do not embrace change. no big deal though just buy less robust vintage watches. im cool with whatever rolex does. i like changes. doesnt mean i love every model or design.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 01:58 AM   #55
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I think far too many people think that redesigning the case will somehow make it less robust.

That makes no sense.

They slimmed down the DD and the DJ. Are these new models somehow inferior. Of course not. Movement improvements have been made and the tech will continue to improve.

People can't honestly think that the current case is the end of Rolex case design.

Whatever comes next, they will be better watches. Personal preferences about styling are fine, but if they slim down or even bring chamfers back, the quality will remain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2017, 02:01 AM   #56
branepantovic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400st
Same case but slimmer profile would be nice, albeit we'd lose a few ft of waterproofing, but I never shower in 500ft waters anyways.
branepantovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:16 AM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I think far too many people think that redesigning the case will somehow make it less robust.

That makes no sense.

They slimmed down the DD and the DJ. Are these new models somehow inferior. Of course not. Movement improvements have been made and the tech will continue to improve.

People can't honestly think that the current case is the end of Rolex case design.

Whatever comes next, they will be better watches. Personal preferences about styling are fine, but if they slim down or even bring chamfers back, the quality will remain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed.

The maxi case would be a prime candidate for the return of heavy chamfers but they would still have to slim down the Crown protectors.
With a new movement thrown in, it would be a great re-invention and a very compelling model in its own right if they do it right.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 07:41 AM   #58
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
If anything it'll be more choice to potential buyers allowing to compare and make a better purchase decision.

Me personally I would welcome the move and I'm far from a traditionalist with my SD43. It's only a matter of taste.

Will it kill the value of the maxi case Sub? Probably not but it won't help either. I expect a slight decrease on the preowned market.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:56 AM   #59
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Seadweller that was just discontinued and the new red Seadweller

Thanks. I didn't know this. I wonder if this will trickle down to the entire Maxicase line?
Old 26 October 2017, 10:08 AM   #60
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would like to see that though I don't know that it would be print me to purchase.