The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 July 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
screaming

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610 LV
Newbie with a PAM237

I've only just joined this forum and think it's fantastic. Wanted to get some thoughts on the PAM237 which is a GMT exactly the same as the PAM088 except that the second hand dial is black rather than silver. I was really looking forward to wearing my PAM088 (which is what I'd ordered) but my AD rang and said he had the PAM237 instead and was I interested in that. I was and went ahead and bought it.....but hell, this things appears to be really hard to find, only 400 made and for some reason didn't appear in the catalog. Has anyone seen or heard much of this watch. I really want to wear it but when it's only 1 of 400 made I'm very reluctant and think I should just lock it up for a few years. Maybe I should just sell it and get a PAM088.
screaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congrats on getting a new watch Now wear it and enjoy it. Don't know if it's limited or not but life's too short. Put it in the rotation and have fun wearing it.

Who knows if it will appreciate in value in a few years? Only time will tell. A Few years ago people were flipping SS Daytonas for a $2k profit if not more. Now from a few I've seen here they're having a hard time getting $1k over what they paid.

So if that happens in your case, you would've missed out on two years worth of smiles the watch would have given you from wearing it when it was in the safe.
Old 5 July 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Go for it! If you like it get it. The 237 is a great looking watch. As for only 400 made, could increase the value or not. Seems it is the LE or Historic models that increase in value the most, contempory models do not go up much. For example the 242 only had 300 made and they are being sold just now for around $1500 more than retail and seem to be stay on the sales corners for awhile (though it is a great watch and suprised the value has not risen more). I would buy the 237 and wear it!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 02:38 AM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Go for it! If you like it get it. The 237 is a great looking watch. As for only 400 made, could increase the value or not. Seems it is the LE or Historic models that increase in value the most, contempory models do not go up much. For example the 242 only had 300 made and they are being sold just now for around $1500 more than retail and seem to be stay on the sales corners for awhile (though it is a great watch and suprised the value has not risen more). I would buy the 237 and wear it!
Hey Chad,means only one thing .... its a good time to buy a 242 now. Wore the 104 the whole day,but the 242 is on the wrist right now,on a Kaktus Beater Brown.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 02:59 AM   #5
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming View Post
I've only just joined this forum and think it's fantastic. Wanted to get some thoughts on the PAM237 which is a GMT exactly the same as the PAM088 except that the second hand dial is black rather than silver. I was really looking forward to wearing my PAM088 (which is what I'd ordered) but my AD rang and said he had the PAM237 instead and was I interested in that. I was and went ahead and bought it.....but hell, this things appears to be really hard to find, only 400 made and for some reason didn't appear in the catalog. Has anyone seen or heard much of this watch. I really want to wear it but when it's only 1 of 400 made I'm very reluctant and think I should just lock it up for a few years. Maybe I should just sell it and get a PAM088.
I wont sell that one !! The black second dial "makes" it for me.Nice !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 03:00 AM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Great watch- wear it with pride
Welcome to TRF

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 01:01 PM   #7
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I went through the same dilemma!! I'm lookin for an 88!! something about that silver dial!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 01:06 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
88 is a modern classic from Panerai but the 237 is a sexy beast. Congrats on the ghost, a very rare and cool watch.

Wear it with Pride and PASSION!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 03:44 PM   #9
watchboy
"TRF" Member

Well this is the thing about PANERAI, it is the demand that drives the price up. The 88 and 237 are the same watches except for the sub dial, but the latter can be anything $2.5-3k more than the former. So literally one is paying $2.5-3k for the black sub-dial! Same goes for the 87 and the 64, same watches but different color dial.

But it is a good investment really. I would get one too if I can find one. However, if I intend to keep it for good, I would go for the 88.

JMHO.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote