The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2023, 08:54 PM   #61
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post

I would suggest selling your Royal Oaks and not wearing them at all if you're worried - it's not worth it
This is draconian and silly IMO. This is why god invented insurance - if you’re that concerned, get insurance, insure for what market value is and stop living in fear. Get robbed and you might make money.

But I may be in the minority here…
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:27 AM   #62
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Living dangerously in Hamburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:36 AM   #63
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Living dangerously in Hamburg

Made me laugh
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:15 PM   #64
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

You're joking but why are you wearing your 15407 under long sleeve? Why not with short sleeves?
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:16 PM   #65
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
You're joking but why are you wearing your 15407 under long sleeve? Why not with short sleeves?

59F at night - hadn’t changed the time yet. Let me know if you have other fashion advice, always helpful.

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 22 August 2023, 05:25 PM   #66
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

the new unwritten rule about 15407s, no wearing them under your sleeve
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:43 PM   #67
aircharger
"TRF" Member

IMHO take both a low-key one (Apple Watch) and wear the RO only for when going out where you know you'll have transport or long sleeves. Usually if you're not waving it around and too flashy in general it's no problem.

Exception for me is London, Paris, Milan/Rome. That's why I take the Apple Watch in any case, or go no watch if I feel like it.

Thieves generally know what to look for so they know the bracelets and the brands, whether it's fake or not, is worth the risk for them in this case.

I live and travel in Europe, so my experience might be a bit different than your typical US/Asian tourist.
aircharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:13 PM   #68
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Travelling with AP Too Risky?

Get some AP rubber, best of both worlds, can enjoy my AP anywhere while flying under the radar I do think the bracelet is a bit too flashy in some parts of the world with short sleeves nowadays. Was much different 5 years ago before watches got hyped up a lot, used to wear my watches anywhere without worry. But nowadays in places like London and Paris I’d be more weary.

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:14 PM   #69
LUDA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw99 View Post
Recently, hotel bellman and concierges in three different European cities told me, as soon as they saw my wrist, not to wear any Rolex or AP. They said that the thiefs are so good now, the thiefs can take your watch off your wrist without you even realizing and they focus on AP and Rolex. The hotel people said there is little crime but the few incidents they have with hotel guests are almost always regarding watches and AP and Rolex in particular. This was London, Madrid, and Barcelona and were in nice areas within them. I love those cities and imagine this is the case in many places throughout the world. Regardless, I felt totally safe and will continue to love and visit those places and it doesn't change my thinking about those cities even the tiniest bit.
I live and work in one of the cities you mentioned, and there are thousands every day wearing Rolex and AP around the city without any issues. Of course, watch thefts happen daily, but keeping in mind the amount of watches that you see around the thefts are almost non existent...

Having said that, the risk is there, so yes, during summer months I am not wearing the most expensive watches around town very often. I wear them in places that are not so full of tourists, which means there will be less watch thieves.

Thefts can happen in nice areas because the thieves know that's where tourists with money will be moving around. It can happen in front of a 5 stars hotel door, it's not only in the sketchy parts of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I hate to pigeon hole this, as a pretty well traveled person myself.....but London/Spain are THE only two places I would say not to wear a nice watch in the entirety of Europe. So I wouldn't equate your experience there to say 'its not safe in Europe', it's more that those two places are rampant with theft, and have been for a bit. Spanish pick picketers are world class and they run in droves, it's nuts.
Just to clarify, spanish pickpockets are most of the time not spanish at all.

And it's not the pickpockets you need to worry about with your watch, pickpockets usually go for wallets and phones in public transport.

Watch thieves in Europe move during all summer from city to city, as it's super easy basically without borders. They are usually groups and just move around, they will be one week stealing in Barcelona, the next week in Ibiza, the one after will move to Nice and Cannes, then to Italy, etc.

The main issue is in many countries they are caught but justice is so slow they are just let free time and time again until the court time comes. I can talk about this in Spain, that's why for thieves it's great to steal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Get some AP rubber, best of both worlds, can enjoy my AP anywhere while flying under the radar I do think the bracelet is a bit too flashy in some parts of the world with short sleeves nowadays. Was much different 5 years ago before watches got hyped up a lot, used to wear my watches anywhere without worry. But nowadays in places like London and Paris I’d be more weary.

This is a good tip, makes the watch less eye-catchy without the very obvious AP bracelet. But good watch thieves will still know what that is, you will only fool pickpockets and noobs.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:31 AM   #70
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I don't know if traveling with APs is too risky, but life is definitely too short to travel without them...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 12:41 AM   #71
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
59F at night - hadn’t changed the time yet. Let me know if you have other fashion advice, always helpful.

dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 02:22 AM   #72
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
wore my 25721ti for 12 days in N.Z. Auckland, all is well
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 10:51 PM   #73
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Lol Switzerland isn't remotely comparable to the majority of Europe, it's absurdly safe there. Your run of the mill Swiss individual already has AP money, whereas in the US/EU it would be considered more an exception. Not to mention, you're in the stomping grounds of high horology itself.

Switzerland is 100% the safest place I've ever felt in Europe, maybe aside from other smaller places like Liechtenstein (which interestingly enough had authorized Patek and AP dealers on a narrow street!). It's almost laughable to think about worrying for 1 second in these places.

Beg to differ, a lot of people are getting their watch stolen in Geneva, try Parking Du Mont Blanc at night or the Kempinski, lots and lots of watches stolen. Born and raised in Geneva, and I can tell you it is not as safe as it used to be. Albeit not comparable to Paris or London, but I’d still advise people to exercise caution when traveling to Geneva…

SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 11:53 PM   #74
rcwatchcollector
Banned

I wear an AP offshore 43 in NYC daily. or a YG Daytona. AP feels more under the radar. And it’s a cooler watch for summer

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 02:03 AM   #75
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Currently in Bangkok, Monday to London. Left my AP home… Not going to risk it with all those spotters in London!
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 02:10 AM   #76
Normunds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post

I don't suggest you wear it visible, especially in NYC and Belgium. Both cities are well known for watch theft.
You are joking, right?
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 10:50 AM   #77
Kingofbears
"TRF" Member

Got robbed by a moroccan gang in broad daylight a couple of years back in Brussels near grand place.

Lost my tag aquaracer. It wasn't expensive but had a lot of sentimental value.

Still salty about it today!!
Kingofbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 01:38 PM   #78
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofbears View Post
Got robbed by a moroccan gang in broad daylight a couple of years back in Brussels near grand place.

Yeah, Brussels, Belgium in general turned into a dump. Back in 2010 the area around Brussels South Train station was relatively safe, now it's the opposite. Was there back in 2021, and my hotel told me not to go out after 8pm.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 04:56 PM   #79
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If I may ask, was that in short sleeves or long sleeves? Clearly not your fault and disgusting that people will do that, but I usually assume I'm safe with long sleeves, but maybe I am wrong...
Old 26 September 2023, 06:37 PM   #80
Kingofbears
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
If I may ask, was that in short sleeves or long sleeves? Clearly not your fault and disgusting that people will do that, but I usually assume I'm safe with long sleeves, but maybe I am wrong...
I was in short sleeves, pushing my dad whom was on a wheelchair. Scum really.

The tourist family nearby just froze as it happened.

This was in 2018 long before the watch market exploded. Can't imagine the situation now
Kingofbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2023, 08:38 PM   #81
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was in short sleeves, pushing my dad whom was on a wheelchair. Scum really.

The tourist family nearby just froze as it happened.

This was in 2018 long before the watch market exploded. Can't imagine the situation now
Insane... sorry to hear that. Really scum that pray on those situations!
Old 27 September 2023, 03:41 PM   #82
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
Just had an incident in the El Born area of Barcelona last week. I deliberately did not wear a watch and left my wallet and watch (PP 5811) in the hotel safe. I was wearing a polo shirt, light nylon jacket, jeans, and sneakers - nothing fancy. I was with three colleagues of mine. After leaving dinner and walking towards the road to hail a cab, I was approached by 2 young men, most likely in their 20's. One of them grabbed my left arm, rolled up the sleeve on my windbreaker to check for a watch, and when he found I wasn't wearing a watch, proceeded to go towards my front pocket to make a grab for my phone. I instinctively thrust my elbow into his abdomen which sent him to the ground. This all took place over the course of a few seconds at most. At this point, the colleagues with me started shouting for help. Both would-be robbers turned and ran.

The entire incident seemed very strange to me. I was not wearing my jacket during dinner and we dined outside. It was clear I was not wearing a watch and the rest of what I had on was not worth stealing except for possibly my phone (just an iPhone with a clear acrylic case). It was clear they were after a watch though. The only explanation I can think of was that someone saw me wearing the watch during a customer lunch in the hotel or walking between the hotel lobby, my room and the restaurant we had lunch at. That was the only time I wore my watch the entire trip. When leaving for dinner, I asked the hotel concierge to write the address for the restaurant, during this time I had my jacket on and wrists hidden. My guess is the concierge tipped off the two would-be robbers and they waited for us to leave the restaurant.

I live in London, and despite its bad reputation, I've never had any problems there taking the tube and walking everywhere. I seem to get targeted frequently in Barcelona. Previously I've had people make an attempt on my laptop carrying backpack in broad daylight and my phone ripped directly from my hands as I was using it to send a text message. Someone ripped a fairly cheap/thin gold necklace right off my wife's neck in Barcelona.

My work often takes me to Jakarta, Manila, New Orleans, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo. At these places I would always hire a driver and possibly someone to handle security for myself and colleagues traveling with me. I've had enough incidents in Barcelona now that I consider it completely unsafe and will no longer consider going there without a driver to get around and private security. Despite the city being beautiful and historic, I would not ever consider vacationing there. As for other cities in Europe or the US, honestly, they seem a whole lot safer than Barcelona to me and I've never been targeted so brashly. I've had things stolen but never any outright robbery attempts anywhere else.
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 04:29 PM   #83
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb866 View Post
Just had an incident in the El Born area of Barcelona last week. I deliberately did not wear a watch and left my wallet and watch (PP 5811) in the hotel safe. I was wearing a polo shirt, light nylon jacket, jeans, and sneakers - nothing fancy. I was with three colleagues of mine. After leaving dinner and walking towards the road to hail a cab, I was approached by 2 young men, most likely in their 20's. One of them grabbed my left arm, rolled up the sleeve on my windbreaker to check for a watch, and when he found I wasn't wearing a watch, proceeded to go towards my front pocket to make a grab for my phone. I instinctively thrust my elbow into his abdomen which sent him to the ground. This all took place over the course of a few seconds at most. At this point, the colleagues with me started shouting for help. Both would-be robbers turned and ran.

The entire incident seemed very strange to me. I was not wearing my jacket during dinner and we dined outside. It was clear I was not wearing a watch and the rest of what I had on was not worth stealing except for possibly my phone (just an iPhone with a clear acrylic case). It was clear they were after a watch though. The only explanation I can think of was that someone saw me wearing the watch during a customer lunch in the hotel or walking between the hotel lobby, my room and the restaurant we had lunch at. That was the only time I wore my watch the entire trip. When leaving for dinner, I asked the hotel concierge to write the address for the restaurant, during this time I had my jacket on and wrists hidden. My guess is the concierge tipped off the two would-be robbers and they waited for us to leave the restaurant.

I live in London, and despite its bad reputation, I've never had any problems there taking the tube and walking everywhere. I seem to get targeted frequently in Barcelona. Previously I've had people make an attempt on my laptop carrying backpack in broad daylight and my phone ripped directly from my hands as I was using it to send a text message. Someone ripped a fairly cheap/thin gold necklace right off my wife's neck in Barcelona.

My work often takes me to Jakarta, Manila, New Orleans, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo. At these places I would always hire a driver and possibly someone to handle security for myself and colleagues traveling with me. I've had enough incidents in Barcelona now that I consider it completely unsafe and will no longer consider going there without a driver to get around and private security. Despite the city being beautiful and historic, I would not ever consider vacationing there. As for other cities in Europe or the US, honestly, they seem a whole lot safer than Barcelona to me and I've never been targeted so brashly. I've had things stolen but never any outright robbery attempts anywhere else.
That's nuts, glad you're ok though.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 09:56 PM   #84
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
I will be in Belgium and New York for a few weeks...

In the past I was not too concerned when wearing a watch, but these I should be more careful when travelling outside of Asia.

People who live Europe and New York, will I be a target when wearing an AP? Shall I just wear my Apple Watch? Planning to bring my RO OR and one Rolex....
First insure. Second be sensible. Long sleeves are a man’s best friend.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2023, 10:16 PM   #85
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Reading this thread one things clear …the only practical answer is to wear a watch if you feel comfortable. If you have to ask, generally the answer is don’t.

We can all cherry pick a city, pretty much anywhere, and come up with a statistic to support why it’s dangerous or why it’s safe.

I hear Rome, Paris and London mentioned frequently as places where it’s not safe to where a Rolex (I realize this is the AP forum).

I guess my question would be, where do all the people who are locals, who live, work and play in these cities wear their watches? Presumably ADs sell to locals more than tourists, so one would assume a good number of Roman’s (say) own AP’s.

Perhaps they just keep their watch in a safe at home and wait to wear it when they go …. where exactly?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 01:50 AM   #86
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Reading this thread one things clear …the only practical answer is to wear a watch if you feel comfortable. If you have to ask, generally the answer is don’t.

We can all cherry pick a city, pretty much anywhere, and come up with a statistic to support why it’s dangerous or why it’s safe.

I hear Rome, Paris and London mentioned frequently as places where it’s not safe to where a Rolex (I realize this is the AP forum).

I guess my question would be, where do all the people who are locals, who live, work and play in these cities wear their watches? Presumably ADs sell to locals more than tourists, so one would assume a good number of Roman’s (say) own AP’s.

Perhaps they just keep their watch in a safe at home and wait to wear it when they go …. where exactly?
I am and used to be a local in these very 3 cities.
Yes, there are gangs specialized in watch theft, coming either from southern Italy or eastern europe. They are very specialized and they know what to go after (probably read this forum ).
Yet they target mostly wealthy tourists. As a local you generally don't find yourself going to the most touristic areas everyday.

So my own experience, is that I never had a single issue, even wearing loud watches in short sleeves, day and night. But I know the cities and would be more cautious in some areas, not necessarily bad neighborhoods but touristic areas.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 01:56 AM   #87
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I am and used to be a local in these very 3 cities.

Yes, there are gangs specialized in watch theft, coming either from southern Italy or eastern europe. They are very specialized and they know what to go after (probably read this forum ).

Yet they target mostly wealthy tourists. As a local you generally don't find yourself going to the most touristic areas everyday.

So my own experience, is that I never had a single issue, even wearing loud watches in short sleeves, day and night. But I know the cities and would be more cautious in some areas, not necessarily bad neighborhoods but touristic areas.
Interesting and thank you for sharing your experience.

I guess when I travel to some of these cities. I see what I believe to be locals wearing nice watches (Rolex mostly). Wait staff, hotel staff especially ...

I agree that common sense and situational awareness should prevail.

Again not judging anyone who doesn't feel comfortable wearing a nice watch to a tourist destination

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 12:04 AM   #88
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
Beg to differ, a lot of people are getting their watch stolen in Geneva, try Parking Du Mont Blanc at night or the Kempinski, lots and lots of watches stolen. Born and raised in Geneva, and I can tell you it is not as safe as it used to be.
I survived the Parking Du Mont Blanc Do I get a sticker or something?
[
Old 8 October 2023, 12:06 AM   #89
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[

At least you should get a “permit C” if you’re not a Swiss citizen, brave move

Old 8 October 2023, 12:09 AM   #90
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[

I survived too and all I got was a pain au chocolat…