The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Modern Gold Piece Stretch

There are still some recent gold pieces that don't have ceramic sleeves in the bracelet. Is it likely they will stretch if worn too tightly?

I've been trying to wear my 116508 generally a little more loose for this reason.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #2
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
There are still some recent gold pieces that don't have ceramic sleeves in the bracelet. Is it likely they will stretch if worn too tightly?

I've been trying to wear my 116508 generally a little more loose for this reason.
I think stretch is more of a symptom of wearing the watch too loose, not too tight.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
I think stretch is more of a symptom of wearing the watch too loose, not too tight.
Correct. While I am no Michael Young, stretch more readily occurs on bracelets with hollow links (older Rolex bracelets) and bracelets that are worn too loose. It's the excess movement of wearing a bracelet loose that causes the wear.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #4
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You know what? I thought I read that, too! I think it may be a symptom of either wearing too loosely or too tightly.

I think vintage watches are more prone to it vs the modern ones that are more solidly built.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #6
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
From what I understand it's not about wearing the bracelet too loose or too tight - it's about dirt particles getting into the bracelet (where the links connect) and wearing through the metal. IMO that could happen regardless of how loose/tight the bracelet is on the wrist.

Maybe the bigger issue is how clean the bracelet is kept? Or how often some process is done to try and clear out grit that can wear away the tightness of the connection points?
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
From what I understand it's not about wearing the bracelet too loose or too tight - it's about dirt particles getting into the bracelet (where the links connect) and wearing through the metal. IMO that could happen regardless of how loose/tight the bracelet is on the wrist.

Maybe the bigger issue is how clean the bracelet is kept? Or how often some process is done to try and clear out grit that can wear away the tightness of the connection points?
A Rolex trained watchmaker once told me that it was a good idea to run the bracelet through an ultrasonic cleaner occasionally, but I'm not sure if he was mainly referring to vintage pieces.

He said that you can't get all the grime out by just washing it with Dawn dish soap as I have been.
Old Today, 01:38 AM   #8
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
A Rolex trained watchmaker once told me that it was a good idea to run the bracelet through an ultrasonic cleaner occasionally, but I'm not sure if he was mainly referring to vintage pieces.

He said that you can't get all the grime out by just washing it with Dawn dish soap as I have been.
Agreed. Ultrasonic cleaners are cheap and effective at getting grit out, especially from hollow link bracelets.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #9
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
Agreed. Ultrasonic cleaners are cheap and effective at getting grit out, especially from hollow link bracelets.
What technique do you use to avoid scratching in the ultrasonic cleaner?
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #10
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
I just put it in on its edge, and fill up with water and concentrated jewelry cleaner. It doesn't really move around, so no issues with scratching.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #11
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

Yes, but Dirt + movement is the culprit. Dirt is the abrasive element and stretch is exacerbated when the bracelet is worn loose since as the bracelet moves around of the dirt, hence additional stretch
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #12
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Yes, but Dirt + movement is the culprit. Dirt is the abrasive element and stretch is exacerbated when the bracelet is worn loose since as the bracelet moves around of the dirt, hence additional stretch
Exactly.

BTW, fixing a loose bracelet isn't too expensive OP. Rolliworks can do it.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #13
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post

Anyone have a recommendation for an Ultrasonic cleaner for watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Exactly, both contribute
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 AM   #15
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

I've owned several different modern PM Rolex and never had an issue with any of the bracelets stretching granted I don't wear them often
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:09 AM   #16
Steve Stifler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
I've owned several different modern PM Rolex and never had an issue with any of the bracelets stretching granted I don't wear them often
It takes years to develop and both the references you posted have the ceramic sleeves.
Steve Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 AM   #17
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for an Ultrasonic cleaner for watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seconded. I saw someone on here talking about how well one that's 800 watts would do vs the low wattage ones, which I'm assuming most of the ones around $30 on Amazon are.
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #18
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stifler View Post
It takes years to develop and both the references you posted have the ceramic sleeves.
Including 2008 Yachtmaster?
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #19
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I use boiling water with a drop of dawn in the ultrasoon cleaner and let it run for 5 minutes. Amazing to see how much gunk comes out a visually totally clean bracelet.

The watch heads I clean with warm water with dawn, toothbrush treatment and rinse with clean water.

Works for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultra.JPG (281.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg L1010203.JPG (281.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cleaning2.JPG (286.3 KB, 0 views)
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #20
Steve Stifler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
Including 2008 Yachtmaster?
No, that doesn't have it, but your sub and DD40 do.
Steve Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 AM   #21
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I use boiling water with a drop of dawn in the ultrasoon cleaner and let it run for 5 minutes. Amazing to see how much gunk comes out a visually totally clean bracelet.

The watch heads I clean with warm water with dawn, toothbrush treatment and rinse with clean water.

Works for me
The ultrasonic cleaner makes that much of a difference? I clean with a toothbrush and dish soap each week but perhaps I should switch to ultrasonic for the bracelets
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote