The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2020, 05:52 PM   #1
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

choosing between SBGJ231 and SBGH281

I am looking for input on these 2 pieces -- I expect one of them will become my first GS. My understanding is that the SBGJ231 is not a numbered LE, but was produced in fairly low quantities, available only at 2 boutiques in Japan. The SBGH281 is numbered and limited to 1500. Everyone raves about the peacock dial on the SBGJ231, but I haven't heard much about the SBGH281 dial. From pictures, it appears to be a solid blue, without a texture or pattern -- is that correct?

Which do you prefer? Which is more desirable/collectible? I'm not looking for price appreciation per se, but I do like to have unique pieces.
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:24 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

As an owner of both watches, they are indeed very different.

The SBGJ231 is super cool to me with the blue Iwate dial w/ a silky smooth high beat GMT complication . If I ding the watch it'd only really be the thickness but the watch wraps around the wrist well and sits evenly....so it feels a bit like wearing a contoured sea dweller....Would have been a bigger home run if it's thinner.

The SBGH281 is not a solid blue dial actually. I'm not actually sure if any pictures can do the watch justice in terms of the dial.....the blue is very mirror like in a lot of lights and very deep (not quite as deep as something like the chrnometre bleu but it's got that similar type of mirror look with a much darker blue).....Then the moment any kind of light hits it at an angle the dial transforms with rays of sunburst....it is quite a cool effect. The red on the second hand and 2 lines IMO realy gives the right amount of pop without being overwhelming....was a great 4th of July watch for me. It wears nicely and much thinner too with the high beat movement.

I don't know which is more desirable/collectable but if you think about total number of SBGJ231, I don't think there's far more SBGJ231 out there vs the SBGH281 (if even).....they just don't get that many pieces at the boutiques....just depends on which blue you fancy.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Have you looked at the SBGH273? the dial is extremely unique if you’re into blue
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 04:05 AM   #4
DrStrangluv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
Have you looked at the SBGH273? the dial is extremely unique if you’re into blue
You're not making it easier for him, are you?
But gosh that Fall edition is really something.
I think Spring gets all the attention, this one definitely gets overlooked.

It's a tough call, but I think the SBGJ231 still gets my vote.
I first fell hard for GS when I saw this blue Iwate on the Elegance.
DrStrangluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangluv View Post
You're not making it easier for him, are you?
But gosh that Fall edition is really something.
I think Spring gets all the attention, this one definitely gets overlooked.

It's a tough call, but I think the SBGJ231 still gets my vote.
I first fell hard for GS when I saw this blue Iwate on the Elegance.
Can’t make it easy when buying a Seiko!! But you can because you’re getting a great watch in any of those pieces. So either one is a winner, pick what you like and that’s it, and buy what you like I mean get the sbgh273
Old 7 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #6
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the inputs, everyone!

Ekwity -- I had not seriously considered the SBGH273, but on your suggestion I checked it out again. I think I prefer the 2 models I originally inquired about, but I definitely appreciate your suggestion -- it, too, is a beautiful watch.

sensui -- your personal experiences were very helpful, thank you. It sounds like your answer is that I really ought to have them both!

DrStrangluv -- your vote is helpful. There seems to be lots of love for the Iwate dials.

So that gives me a lot to think about...I appreciate it!
Old 7 July 2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Wishlist>$
"TRF" Member

Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
As an owner of both watches, they are indeed very different.

The SBGJ231 is super cool to me with the blue Iwate dial w/ a silky smooth high beat GMT complication . If I ding the watch it'd only really be the thickness but the watch wraps around the wrist well and sits evenly....so it feels a bit like wearing a contoured sea dweller....Would have been a bigger home run if it's thinner.

The SBGH281 is not a solid blue dial actually. I'm not actually sure if any pictures can do the watch justice in terms of the dial.....the blue is very mirror like in a lot of lights and very deep (not quite as deep as something like the chrnometre bleu but it's got that similar type of mirror look with a much darker blue).....Then the moment any kind of light hits it at an angle the dial transforms with rays of sunburst....it is quite a cool effect. The red on the second hand and 2 lines IMO realy gives the right amount of pop without being overwhelming....was a great 4th of July watch for me. It wears nicely and much thinner too with the high beat movement.

I don't know which is more desirable/collectable but if you think about total number of SBGJ231, I don't think there's far more SBGJ231 out there vs the SBGH281 (if even).....they just don't get that many pieces at the boutiques....just depends on which blue you fancy.
How about a few side by side pics?
Wishlist>$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Scott do you like green dials? When is saw the SBGH271 I legit almost bought it right after I had just bought the 273, because I couldn’t get over the way the dial looked mixed with gold hour markers
Old 7 July 2020, 04:24 PM   #9
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Scott do you like green dials? When is saw the SBGH271 I legit almost bought it right after I had just bought the 273, because I couldn’t get over the way the dial looked mixed with gold hour markers
I think that may be a bit outside of my tastes, but I'll need to look into it to say for sure. I've never had a blue dial piece, but I'm not set on my first GS being blue, either.

ETA: OK, just looked at it. That is pretty cool. Still not sure it is for me, but it is definitely beautiful.
Old 7 July 2020, 05:07 PM   #10
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
I think that may be a bit outside of my tastes, but I'll need to look into it to say for sure. I've never had a blue dial piece, but I'm not set on my first GS being blue, either.

ETA: OK, just looked at it. That is pretty cool. Still not sure it is for me, but it is definitely beautiful.
Naming great models aside, I was at the grand seiko boutique by me about 2/3 weeks ago and saw both those models you’re looking at. The manager Rus brought out the 231 to show me and I loved it. I think the blue is way nicer and the pink hands are unique and tropical. The 281 blue has a little too much sunburst imho. Again you’re good with either just my 2cents
Old 7 July 2020, 10:52 PM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Iwate gets my vote but only because i have not seen the other one in the flesh.

I consider my iwate the best of my four GS pieces.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:23 PM   #12
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Naming great models aside, I was at the grand seiko boutique by me about 2/3 weeks ago and saw both those models you’re looking at. The manager Rus brought out the 231 to show me and I loved it. I think the blue is way nicer and the pink hands are unique and tropical. The 281 blue has a little too much sunburst imho. Again you’re good with either just my 2cents
They had a 231 in stock? I thought it was discontinued? I see you're in FL -- might it have been a 235?

And thanks for the additional insight. The pink is sort of subtle, and the red on the 281 is bold. Similar, yet completely different looks.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:47 AM   #13
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
They had a 231 in stock? I thought it was discontinued? I see you're in FL -- might it have been a 235?

And thanks for the additional insight. The pink is sort of subtle, and the red on the 281 is bold. Similar, yet completely different looks.

You’re right it was a 235, my mistake. As a fan on the 273 I thought they had some similarities but ya both your options are different. Best thing is to try and see it in person and make the call

Sent From my iPhone using Tapatalk