The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 February 2021, 10:43 AM   #31
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Here are some pics with the leather strap as it seems there are not many on the web.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2021, 02:06 AM   #32
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsowwss View Post
Here are some pics with the leather strap as it seems there are not many on the web.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
looks good!
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 12:04 AM   #33
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 01:25 AM   #34
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

The lume on the slate/grey dial 37 the same as the full ADLC black dial?

Also, does the clasp have some sort of quick release to move it between the rubber and leather, or if you ordered a new strap from Cartier, does it come with another clasp?

Lastly, how is that ADLC bezel coating holding up?

Thanks!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 02:28 AM   #35
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
The lume on the slate/grey dial 37 the same as the full ADLC black dial?

Also, does the clasp have some sort of quick release to move it between the rubber and leather, or if you ordered a new strap from Cartier, does it come with another clasp?

Lastly, how is that ADLC bezel coating holding up?

Thanks!
All Santos straps (and the bracelet) use the same Quickswitch system. If you order an extra strap it is just the strap. The clasp is easy enough to take off and put onto another strap. If you want another clasp as a spare it is $362.00.

ADLC is really tough. It has been out for several years. I've seen images of the old Santos 100 ADLC, and they usually look really good, even though they are several years old. ADLC is not like the old PVD some companies used that can easily chip off over time.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 04:07 AM   #36
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
All Santos straps (and the bracelet) use the same Quickswitch system. If you order an extra strap it is just the strap. The clasp is easy enough to take off and put onto another strap. If you want another clasp as a spare it is $362.00.

ADLC is really tough. It has been out for several years. I've seen images of the old Santos 100 ADLC, and they usually look really good, even though they are several years old. ADLC is not like the old PVD some companies used that can easily chip off over time.
Thank you for your response here, and in the the other thread that needs to die:

I've handled all three versions of the watch. I have the blue, and I still like it the most. The ADLC and steel would be my second choice. It looks cool, but I think the ADLC limits its versatility making it really sporty. The blue dial or white are more versatile and I think look better if you ever want to wear it to a nice event or with something dressy.

The steel bracelet looks good on the the watch you asked about with the ADLC bezel and gray dial, because its case is in all stainless steel. I like this and the blue dial version more than the all ADLC cased model, because there is no bracelet for the all ADLC model, and I love the bracelet for the Santos.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Cheers!

Great point about DLC vs PVD. I am sure the PVD issues are getting mixed in my head as it relates to DLC.

That is a pretty steep price for another buckle...but what is the point of quick change if you still have to change the buckle? Is it connected to the strap with a standard spring bar?

The Vacheron solution to this on the overseas is pretty cool. As for not being able to dress it up as much...I can definitely see that, but a more casual watch is perfect for me and my lifestyle.
Old 29 April 2021, 04:59 AM   #37
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Yes, the PVD doesn't wear that well over time. ADLC wears very well. I've seen older ADLC Santos 100 models that still look really good.

Well, it's not just a basic buckle with a pin, it is a deployant clasp with safety buttons on each side. It's super easy to switch the buckle to another strap. It can be done in just a few seconds. It's not cheap, but it works well and is very comfortable.

Although, if you don't like the price of the buckle you might not like the price of a new rubber strap...its $562. The alligator ones are actually far less costly about $380.

Wishing you luck with your decision. Cheers!

Old 29 April 2021, 06:05 AM   #38
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to take and post those pictures. Very much appreciated. Using the quick release style spring bar was smart and definitely would make it easy to do a quick buckle change if needed.

I am not 100% sure I would change it very often to be honest, but was curious. Great info on the prices as well, so thank you. That is pretty comical about the rubber strap price. I assume that price doesn't include the deployment...lol

I had been leaning one way and thought I had my 40th BDay watch all picked out...then everyone got vaccinated and I am doing more and more client meetings, which although very casual (jeans and a quick dry button down) the santos is feeling like a better fit.
Old 29 April 2021, 06:28 AM   #39
Dino944
"TRF" Member

You are very welcome. I mostly use the steel bracelet or the rubber strap. I don't switch that often with the leather or alligator straps I have. But swapping them is very easy.

You are correct the rubber strap does not include the price of the deployment. Still, I'm happy I added the rubber strap to my blue dial Santos.

Wishing lots of luck with whatever you decide!
Old 29 April 2021, 07:05 AM   #40
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
You are very welcome. I mostly use the steel bracelet or the rubber strap. I don't switch that often with the leather or alligator straps I have. But swapping them is very easy.

You are correct the rubber strap does not include the price of the deployment. Still, I'm happy I added the rubber strap to my blue dial Santos.

Wishing lots of luck with whatever you decide!
Are Cartier deployants pretty universal? Like if I buy a Tank Americaine will that clasp also work with a Santos Dumont and the Drive Extra Flat?
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 09:03 AM   #41
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

i think some mis info going on here unless im not mistaken. I had a blue santos large from like 2019/2020 where the clasp on the secondary deployant doesn't have a "pin" and the strap doesn't have holes. you just slide the strap for an exact fit. I got the ALDC TT in 20221 and that clasp with the rubber strap has holes and that deployant has the "pin" for a more traditional fit if that makes sense.

actually come to think of it, I never checked out the secondary strap for the blue dial santos. I am remembering my Noctumbre blacked out skeleton with that strap situation.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 10:51 AM   #42
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Cartier changed their deployant clasps in 2019 I think. I don't think they have the slide and fold the strap deployant anymore.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 01:44 PM   #43
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
i think some mis info going on here unless im not mistaken. I had a blue santos large from like 2019/2020 where the clasp on the secondary deployant doesn't have a "pin" and the strap doesn't have holes. you just slide the strap for an exact fit. I got the ALDC TT in 20221 and that clasp with the rubber strap has holes and that deployant has the "pin" for a more traditional fit if that makes sense.

actually come to think of it, I never checked out the secondary strap for the blue dial santos. I am remembering my Noctumbre blacked out skeleton with that strap situation.
There is no misinformation. You are correct, the Santos in 2019/20 did not have a pin hole in the straps. That changed sometime in 2020, and there was a new reference number although the rest of the watch is unchanged. I purchased my blue dial Santos in late July 2019 and the strap did not have holes and and deployant did not have a pin. That's why when I wanted a rubber strap from the ADLC model for my blue dial Santos, I had to buy a new style deployant also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Cartier changed their deployant clasps in 2019 I think. I don't think they have the slide and fold the strap deployant anymore.
The deployants clasp designs did change as you noted, but they didn't make it into the Santos line until sometime in 2020.

In the past the deployants were basically universal, but you needed the right size...they made different sizes but all the same design.

I haven't looked at a Tank Americaine in a while, but last I looked it had a an old style no pin deployant. I don't know if it has gotten the new style with pin yet. You would also need to be sure the deployant from a Tank or Santos is the right size if trying to use one on a Drive.