The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2021, 09:43 AM   #1
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
2008 BMW M3 e92

Midlife crisis blah, blah, blah, etc, etc (insert cliche here). Looking for something fun in a 6MT. I currently have an 06 325i w/ 6MT sport package. I have replaced everything that starts going around 130k. New clutch and flywheel, all suspension parts, radiator, alternator, battery, valve cover gasket (eccentric shaft sensor while I was in there), vanos solenoids, master cylinder, slave cylinder, all shifter bushings, ABS pump, rear wheel bearings and calipers and battery. All in all about $3400 in parts with all of my own labor. Worth it IMO as I had no previous experience working on BMW. It’s been a joy “restoring” this car. I also learned a bit about coding etc. tons of fun. Anyway my question is are there any naturally aspirated V8 M3 owners that could give me some feedback. Are they a ton of fun to drive? Maintenance costs etc. Any input would be appreciated. I’m on a budget and 65k for a newer M3 is out plus I would rather have the NA V8 than a turbo l6.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:08 PM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
My friend has one. Sound awesome. Looks great. Seems fairly reliable.

They aren’t the fastest or lightest tho. My cls 550 is quite a bit faster. I’d guess at least 100hp at the wheels & 200# lighter. But its fun driving them together.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:41 PM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

A 65K E92 would be a peach. Those things have depreciated like crazy and you should be able to find a garage queen at that budget. They are awesome cars and a tried and true 8 cylinder that has been in many of their platforms, its bulletproof. Gas guzzler and all that other stuff? Sure but its worth it.

I have an E46 still and an F80. The F80 is great and while I understand the desire to stay away from an FI 6, it really does everything really well. Again, with your budget, should be able to get a REALLY nice one as well.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:43 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, sounds like a fun project car. Love the older M series as they are far better than the newer ones in stock form imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:06 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congrats, Joshua! Sounds as if you're already having fun with his one. Certainly a car to hold onto, and the fact you're mechanically inclined makes it worth doing.

I would keep a close eye on the rod bearings or consider doing them as preventative maintenance unless you already did or have paperwork that shows its been done. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're doing the work yourself.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:39 AM   #6
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Congrats, Joshua! Sounds as if you're already having fun with his one. Certainly a car to hold onto, and the fact you're mechanically inclined makes it worth doing.

I would keep a close eye on the rod bearings or consider doing them as preventative maintenance unless you already did or have paperwork that shows its been done. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're doing the work yourself.
Great advice, only bit of caution is even if you try and be proactive with the rod bearings they can fail ten minutes later its the only "downside" of the S65.
Old 4 March 2021, 12:52 AM   #7
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I don't think his budget is 65k, he said 65k for a newer m3 is OUT.

I had a 2016 M3 and loved it. I traded it for a 17 Diesel X5 about 6 mos ago because I want a diesel for pulling a small trailer out West every year in retirement. A bit of an odd choice, I know, but not sure if the Xd will ever be available here in the US again and I got mine with less than 40k miles and expect that it will reach well beyond 250k miles. Also, I drove my M tons and was already 16k miles out of warranty. The plan is to definitely get an M again, before retirement and with a proper daily driver (the Xd) so I can keep the M miles down. Probably a new M3/4 (or M2 competition - if they fix the back) in a couple of years for a fun car in retirement.

I also still own a 2010 328i coupe 6MT (my first BMW and picked up in Germany) that I can't get rid of because the engine on that baby is absolutely sublime. One of the last non-turbos that BMW built. Obviously not as fast as my M, but so much damn fun to drive. Interestingly, it sits lower than my M3 and it seems to ride so much smoother than the M did, but equally as much fun to drive on curvy roads. It has 115k miles on it and fortunately has never had a major repair, though I do expect that those are coming with age.

So, I understand and appreciate the OP's struggle with trying to stay with a non aspirated engine as opposed to turbo. I still love mine.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 01:27 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ooops, delete
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 4 March 2021, 05:49 AM   #9
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I was absolutely stuck on a MT but I’m currently looking at a 2011 M3 couple convertible. 50k miles clean as anything. Not so sure on the DCT though. I am stuck on manual simply because I’ve always driven one and I feel in a sport model it would just give me the full experience of a race car. Maybe I’m being silly.
Old 4 March 2021, 06:11 AM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Great advice, only bit of caution is even if you try and be proactive with the rod bearings they can fail ten minutes later its the only "downside" of the S65.
Oh man, I had no idea that was the case there. I always knew that M cars had consumable rod bearings, but didn't realize they could go out prematurely for this particular engine. Certainly a downside for that engine!

Not sure how easy it is to get used parts in the USA for a potential rebuild. I've been out of the BMW scene for years but made some of the best memories back in the day with my E36 328is. Had an E90 after but I've stepped away, as aforementioned.

That E30 in your avatar looks great! I pretty much grew up in an E30 325e, among many others family members owned as a kid. That's what fueled my passion for the BMW 3 series Coupes but they've changed too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
Thanks guys. I was absolutely stuck on a MT but I’m currently looking at a 2011 M3 couple convertible. 50k miles clean as anything. Not so sure on the DCT though. I am stuck on manual simply because I’ve always driven one and I feel in a sport model it would just give me the full experience of a race car. Maybe I’m being silly.
Not silly at all! Manual is the way to go. My heart breaks that it's pretty much a think of the past. Both BMW's I had before were manual and the driving pleasure was off the charts. You're truly connected and in full control this way, I like that.

In general the manual transmissions were a lot less problematic, and regardless it's one less area of concern in my opinion.
Old 4 March 2021, 04:38 PM   #11
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

I pulled the trigger on the 2011 2 door convertible. 50k miles and clean as a whistle. I requested all service logs and car fax. Oil changed always before BMW’s recommended intervals. The IBS was replaced in 2018 because of an electrical malfunction but other than that no major issues reported. I take delivery on the 16th. I feel like a little kid at Christmas. I don’t even plan on tracking this car or daily driving it. I just want to be able to goose it on the highway occasionally and feel those horses. Hopefully I never experience the S65 rod bearing issue. I will miss a full manual but I still have my 325 to scratch that itch.
Old 4 March 2021, 06:52 PM   #12
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I drove the E92 M3 6mt for 9 years, replaced the engine once and sold it 4 years ago. Now i am driving the M2 N55 dont miss it any day.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 06:53 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

OP, stay with a manual. i sooo get it :)

Plus it's a Millenial theft deterrent.

Old 4 March 2021, 07:53 PM   #14
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
I drove the E92 M3 6mt for 9 years, replaced the engine once and sold it 4 years ago. Now i am driving the M2 N55 dont miss it any day.
Catastrophic rod bearing failure?
Old 4 March 2021, 08:27 PM   #15
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Dont know why but one morning the engine started to vibrate after the cold start and seized after. Flat beded to the service and they said its dead after checking the internals :) Great V8 but works like a ticking bomb.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 10:56 PM   #16
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Catastrophic rod bearing failure?
FWIW I’ve had 3 E46s and experienced the Achilles heel failure on each. 323ci reverse went out... common problem. 330xi cooling system exploded and ruined head gasket(didn’t even get the car the 250 mile ride home, planned on doing it shortly upon arrival. And my 330ci oil pump nut unthreaded itself and grenaded the engine.
I love BMWs and they’re great toys, but when it comes to driving something to rely on, I think I’ll stick with Mustangs and Vettes for daily’s.

Have fun with it! Even when these blow up, you can usually part them out for good money; like these cars are seriously worth more parted than they are whole as everyone who owns one needs something and parts from the dealer haven’t come down any
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 11:32 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Midlife crisis blah, blah, blah, etc, etc (insert cliche here). Looking for something fun in a 6MT. I currently have an 06 325i w/ 6MT sport package. I have replaced everything that starts going around 130k. New clutch and flywheel, all suspension parts, radiator, alternator, battery, valve cover gasket (eccentric shaft sensor while I was in there), vanos solenoids, master cylinder, slave cylinder, all shifter bushings, ABS pump, rear wheel bearings and calipers and battery. All in all about $3400 in parts with all of my own labor. Worth it IMO as I had no previous experience working on BMW. It’s been a joy “restoring” this car. I also learned a bit about coding etc. tons of fun. Anyway my question is are there any naturally aspirated V8 M3 owners that could give me some feedback. Are they a ton of fun to drive? Maintenance costs etc. Any input would be appreciated. I’m on a budget and 65k for a newer M3 is out plus I would rather have the NA V8 than a turbo l6.
I have owned two BMW's and will never own another.

You might want to try here as there is a lot of good info

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...90-E91-E92-E93)

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 02:28 AM   #18
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I had a 2008 e90 M3 (sunroof delete) and loved it. Especially that it had four doors. Prior to the e90 M3 I had a 2005 e46 M3 and without a doubt that was the best M3 I’ve ever owned. It’s a violent and visceral machine whereas the next gen e90/92 lost a lot of that through refinement. Although the e90/92 was faster on paper it didn’t feel as aggressive. From a reliably perspective they’re fantastic but when they break be sure to have lots of funds on hand. A good example is the cats are welded to the headers and it’s a cool $4k for the repair. Anyway you’ll love the e92 and the last of the true M-car NA.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 07:27 AM   #19
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Personally, the E46 is my favorite M3.

However, I would happily own any of the the 2-door models.
Old 5 March 2021, 07:43 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on the 2011 2 door convertible. 50k miles and clean as a whistle. I requested all service logs and car fax. Oil changed always before BMW’s recommended intervals. The IBS was replaced in 2018 because of an electrical malfunction but other than that no major issues reported. I take delivery on the 16th. I feel like a little kid at Christmas. I don’t even plan on tracking this car or daily driving it. I just want to be able to goose it on the highway occasionally and feel those horses. Hopefully I never experience the S65 rod bearing issue. I will miss a full manual but I still have my 325 to scratch that itch.

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures! You'll be able to do most of the maintenance if not all yourself, which is a huge savings. At least being in the USA you've got many domestic resources to get any parts you could possibly need. You only live once! Have fun with this one and drive safe.
Old 5 March 2021, 12:52 PM   #21
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Congrats. You bought the crossover car between the analog and the digital, IMO. I’m sure it will be a fantastic ride.

Don’t stress too hard about bearings. The paranoia can ruin the fun of the car. And if you want to rest a little easier, you can always pay a few bucks for an oil analysis. Worn bearings will usually make themselves known there.

I still wake up in cold sweats from that S62 in my M5...
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 02:08 AM   #22
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Joshua,

I see that between the time you posted the query 3 days ago and me reading it this morning, you already picked the girlie... excuse me, the convertible with the DCT. Nice choice.

Naturally, I jest. It's not a girlie car. Ragtops are great, and the DCT is quite good.

As for the "all BMW V8 M car motors will blow up and kill you" Internet meme, yes, it is true, some people have experienced main bearing failures. I will supply my two cents here for the bargain price of only three cents. I'll send you my PayPal later.

Did you know that all Porsche 911s 996 and 997.1 series cars have failing IMS bearings that will also explode and kill you? It's true.

OK, no. See, it's the Internet. Everyone that found their new Rolex watch is not COSC accurate posts to this forum to complain. The 1% of 1% that have an issue come here, and so half the posts are about this and you think that "50% of all Rolexes have to be sent back to the factory". It's just not true, not to that degree. The people with the issue complain, the ones that have no issue say nothing.

OK, so back to the exploding time bomb that is the BMW V8 in M cars. Not to be confused with the non-M car V8s, which fail because of excessive oil burning. That's a different thread.

I have determined that yes, it is an issue. It started with the E39 M5, was worse with the E46 M3 and persisted through the E90/92 M3. Some engines have excessive main bearing wear. Most of those engines are out of cars that have been tracked and/or extremely aggressively driven. BMW kind of dropped the ball on that one, as it is reasonable and dare I say expected that an M car will one day find itself on the track.

Fortunately, very few clubs permit convertibles on the track, so it's unlikely that yours was exercised in this manner. Also, frequent and diligent oil analysis will warn you if the bearings are starting to go (an increased copper deposit reading, I believe).

So, get the oil checked out. Check it every oil change. If you start to see problems, or you are just super-conservative, have the bearings changed before they fail. It's a lot cheaper that way.

And congrats on the new car!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 02:08 AM   #23
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Ah, I see that my Florida M5 associate had the same thoughts as I, although less verbose.

Great minds...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 03:35 AM   #24
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Joshua,

I see that between the time you posted the query 3 days ago and me reading it this morning, you already picked the girlie... excuse me, the convertible with the DCT. Nice choice.

Naturally, I jest. It's not a girlie car. Ragtops are great, and the DCT is quite good.

As for the "all BMW V8 M car motors will blow up and kill you" Internet meme, yes, it is true, some people have experienced main bearing failures. I will supply my two cents here for the bargain price of only three cents. I'll send you my PayPal later.

Did you know that all Porsche 911s 996 and 997.1 series cars have failing IMS bearings that will also explode and kill you? It's true.

OK, no. See, it's the Internet. Everyone that found their new Rolex watch is not COSC accurate posts to this forum to complain. The 1% of 1% that have an issue come here, and so half the posts are about this and you think that "50% of all Rolexes have to be sent back to the factory". It's just not true, not to that degree. The people with the issue complain, the ones that have no issue say nothing.

OK, so back to the exploding time bomb that is the BMW V8 in M cars. Not to be confused with the non-M car V8s, which fail because of excessive oil burning. That's a different thread.

I have determined that yes, it is an issue. It started with the E39 M5, was worse with the E46 M3 and persisted through the E90/92 M3. Some engines have excessive main bearing wear. Most of those engines are out of cars that have been tracked and/or extremely aggressively driven. BMW kind of dropped the ball on that one, as it is reasonable and dare I say expected that an M car will one day find itself on the track.

Fortunately, very few clubs permit convertibles on the track, so it's unlikely that yours was exercised in this manner. Also, frequent and diligent oil analysis will warn you if the bearings are starting to go (an increased copper deposit reading, I believe).

So, get the oil checked out. Check it every oil change. If you start to see problems, or you are just super-conservative, have the bearings changed before they fail. It's a lot cheaper that way.

And congrats on the new car!
I was thinking about the oil analysis from a suggestion in an earlier post. According to the VIN production of my engine was after they changed bearing materials to address the issue but the tight tolerances remained the same still causing issues for those that revved high before the oil reached temp. This shouldn’t be an issue for me. Heck I even allow my N52 to reach temp before having some spirited driving time. Luckily it is a hardtop convertible so I have that in my favor as well as maintenance goes. I also already looked into the throttle actuator issue and it’s usually the plastic gears that wear and cause limp mode. Garage replacement of these I see is around $1700 or in my case $150 for 2 new sets of plastic gears and my own labor. I am truly a preventative maintenance type of person. I do want to be worry free and be able to enjoy this for what it is(my midlife crisis lol). Although I can’t deny that I am seeing everything that is in this car and wonder about things like suspension dampening valves and how much will that cost if they fail etc.
Old 6 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #25
FLGatorM5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Ah, I see that my Florida M5 associate had the same thoughts as I, although less verbose.

Great minds...

But yours made me lol.

@meloncap
You may already do this, but I’m a big fan of dumping all the fluid out and replacing when you first get it. I feel like this makes it yours and you never know what the idiot poured into that thing before you.

... just thinking of that V8 spinning to 7k. Mmm...
Old 6 March 2021, 04:29 AM   #26
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
But yours made me lol.

@meloncap
You may already do this, but I’m a big fan of dumping all the fluid out and replacing when you first get it. I feel like this makes it yours and you never know what the idiot poured into that thing before you.

... just thinking of that V8 spinning to 7k. Mmm...
Even though I purchased it from a reputable dealer? You may have a point. A mechanic friend of mine who is well trained laughed at me for spending $12 a quart on Castrol edge Euro formula for my 325. He goes “you don’t need that overpriced crap just throw any synthetic in there”. Makes me wonder how many oil change places do that. Some things I don’t believe are a money gimmick. Oil reset light on the 325 gives you 19k before the next change, I change it at 10k. That’s still almost a year without having to fork over another $100 for oil and a filter. I asked him how many oil changes a year he does and he said 4. I said there you go, $35x4 I win LOL. This will be my first high HP vehicle. I thought my 325 was pretty zippy when I bought it with 180ish WHP. I can’t imagine what 381 WHP is going to feel like.
Old 6 March 2021, 05:57 AM   #27
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

I have a 2008 M3 as well, coupe 6mt 112k miles and it’s my daily. You are going to love yours! In stock form the exhaust is too quiet but that is easily fixed. Do not delay on the rod bearings, get those swapped right away for BE bearings. You may have an issue with throttle acutators but that is easily fixed. Otherwise maintenance is just normal Bmw. Enjoy it!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 05:59 AM   #28
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Great pick up! Love my E46 and the E90/2 is a close second in my heart. Enjoy it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 11:56 AM   #29
FLGatorM5

Quote:
Even though I purchased it from a reputable dealer? You may have a point. A mechanic friend of mine who is well trained laughed at me for spending $12 a quart on Castrol edge Euro formula for my 325. He goes “you don’t need that overpriced crap just throw any synthetic in there”. Makes me wonder how many oil change places do that. Some things I don’t believe are a money gimmick. Oil reset light on the 325 gives you 19k before the next change, I change it at 10k. That’s still almost a year without having to fork over another $100 for oil and a filter. I asked him how many oil changes a year he does and he said 4. I said there you go, $35x4 I win LOL. This will be my first high HP vehicle. I thought my 325 was pretty zippy when I bought it with 180ish WHP. I can’t imagine what 381 WHP is going to feel like.

Would you like me to share my experience of taking a 911 to the track with toasted brake fluid? 100% my fault for not checking, but I’ll never trust “all the work we did” before I bought it, even if it was on a maintenance sheet from the dealer.
Do it yourself or have someone your trust.

I’ve been on enough car forums to know better than to EVER discuss oil changes. ;)
I don’t care what fluids you use. Just make sure they’re yours.
Old 18 March 2021, 10:02 AM   #30
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Took delivery yesterday. First order of business, never trust fluids unless you know the mechanic or did it yourself. I couldn’t be happier. Now I just need an unlimited supply of petrol LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AFA400F1-C135-4C6C-953F-6E3D7ECCC63A.jpeg (236.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpeg 493CCB38-DF2A-4173-8BA9-0E2FC45F1409.jpeg (249.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpeg 222A8E05-1B5C-4636-A49C-7669DF2B0A55.jpeg (246.8 KB, 95 views)