The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 5 March 2020, 10:56 PM   #1
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Love / hate with new Grand Seiko anniversary release

Mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, I love the look of these models, as I'm obviously biased (that's my SBGW 253 in the 2nd pic).

On the other hand, it seems that they keep going back to this model. First it was 2011 (in the smaller case), then they did it back in 2017 as an LE, and now it's back in 2020, but as normal production run.

It just sings of the Panerai / Omega model to me (flooding the market with what people want); I for one like watches that aren't as easy to find sitting at the AD, and if you make an LE, it should be just that. I know these are different materials / dial colors, but it's nearly identical to the 2017 models.

My watch:

Old 6 March 2020, 12:02 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This is why they should just stop making limited editions all together. Keep them in production so that people who buy in know what they are getting.
Old 6 March 2020, 12:11 AM   #3
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Limited editions are a sure fire way to upset people.

The people who don't get one are upset. The people who do get one are upset when something else is released that closely mirrors what they thought would be limited.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 12:26 AM   #4
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I am kind of scratching my head as to anyone would like or dislike a watch based on how hard or easy it is to find... That does not really enter into the equation for me. Well, if it is hard to find it can be annoying should I wish to buy it, but otherwise no.

I am sure you understand there are risks involved If you are buying some limited edition as an investment

What watches do I think watch manufacturers should be making? The watches people want of course.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 12:49 AM   #5
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I am kind of scratching my head as to anyone would like or dislike a watch based on how hard or easy it is to find... That does not really enter into the equation for me. Well, if it is hard to find it can be annoying should I wish to buy it, but otherwise no.

I am sure you understand there are risks involved If you are buying some limited edition as an investment

What watches do I think watch manufacturers should be making? The watches people want of course.
I understand your point of view. My point of view is that I like things that are not so readily available. It's just the way it goes...

I did not buy this watch as an investment piece; all of my watches are purchased to hand down to my two kiddos. I bought this pre-owned at a great price, but to be able to pass this along to my kids and say hey, this was a limited run, this is why it's special (to me), etc. etc. is something that I value.

What I am saying is that it's annoying to see manufacturers consistently due this; for all the flack that Rolex gets in today's market, I do believe that they do things right (no LE's, not catering to what the world wants, keeping true to their business model).
Old 6 March 2020, 12:54 AM   #6
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

What's the specs on these? Doing a quick browse of the usual suspects on IG and I'm not seeing anything about these models.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 01:06 AM   #7
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
What's the specs on these? Doing a quick browse of the usual suspects on IG and I'm not seeing anything about these models.
Hot off the press.

https://monochrome-watches.com/grand...sbgw259-price/
Old 6 March 2020, 01:15 AM   #8
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Interesting, thanks. I suppose at least none of them are SS so they're not directly cannibalizing the 253. Selfishly I wish the 253 would've been a regular production model because I absolutely love it but it is impossible to find, and EXPENSIVE when you do.

I have to say I'm a bit confused by the 259...is a titanium dress watch really necessary?
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 01:17 AM   #9
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
This is why they should just stop making limited editions all together. Keep them in production so that people who buy in know what they are getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Limited editions are a sure fire way to upset people.

The people who don't get one are upset. The people who do get one are upset when something else is released that closely mirrors what they thought would be limited.
Good thing is that the one that most closely resembles mine is made in platinum and is priced...accordingly. The only "accessible" one is the blue dial, which is still priced at over 9k, and is different enough (I guess) from mine.
Old 6 March 2020, 01:18 AM   #10
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Interesting, thanks. I suppose at least none of them are SS so they're not directly cannibalizing the 253. Selfishly I wish the 253 would've been a regular production model because I absolutely love it but it is impossible to find, and EXPENSIVE when you do.

I have to say I'm a bit confused by the 259...is a titanium dress watch really necessary?
I'm interested to see that one too...
Old 6 March 2020, 01:22 AM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

They did the same with the divers.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 01:26 AM   #12
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mixed feelings about this...on the one hand, I love the look of these models, as I'm obviously biased (that's my SBGW 253 in the 2nd pic).

On the other hand, it seems that they keep going back to this model. First it was 2011 (in the smaller case), then they did it back in 2017 as an LE, and now it's back in 2020, but as normal production run...
Actually you missed one out. The first reissue was in 2001 with the SBGW004 (18K gold limited edition of 300 pieces to celebrate the 120nd anniversary of the founding of Seiko).

Kind regards,

Gerald.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 01:27 AM   #13
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
They did the same with the divers.
Haven't seen those, but I'm honestly not a fan of their strategy right now (as a lowly WIS).

Part of the GS charm was how undercover they were, and how valuable they could be at a certain price point.

Now, it's the full on marketing blast with a shift to higher prices.

Maybe it's good for their bottom line, but at some point, you start to alienate your most loyal customer base (e.g. the way Panerai went).
Old 6 March 2020, 01:27 AM   #14
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseikoguy View Post
Actually you missed one out. The first reissue was in 2001 with the SBGW004 (18K gold limited edition of 300 pieces to celebrate the 120nd anniversary of the founding of Seiko).

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Good point!
Old 6 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
They are insane if they think I’m entertaining an 11k diver the size of a Big Mac.

Why can’t they make something in the diver line a reasonable size. Does the JDM market buy these? Seems they would dwarf the average Japanese wrist. I hope that is not offensive it’s not meant to be.
Old 6 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #16
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They are insane if they think I’m entertaining an 11k diver the size of a Big Mac.

Why can’t they make something in the diver line a reasonable size. Does the JDM market buy these? Seems they would dwarf the average Japanese wrist. I hope that is not offensive it’s not meant to be.
I'm Filipino and I'm offended! Just kidding, of course.

I agree, I think they wouldn't necessarily work in the Japanese market.
Old 6 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #17
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

For what it’s worth, yours with the blue hand is the nicest of the bunch.

Personally, I don’t mind LEs. Keeps me coming back to check out the latest iterations, and I tend to like a watch for the sake of the watch, not whether it’s easy or hard to get.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 02:56 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Just an observation; Asian men seem to be growing bigger and taller nowadays. They still don’t need a 47mm watch though (nor do most of us non-Asian)
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 03:37 AM   #19
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The blue one is nice
Old 6 March 2020, 04:10 AM   #20
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I'm glad they are not limited editions, this is my absolute favorite Grand Seiko and now I might have the possibility of getting one.

Edit: Ugh. never mind... Thought one of those was going to be Stainless.

I'd like a stainless with silver dial and silver hands (no blue second hand). If that existed, I'd probably buy it right now.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 04:21 AM   #21
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I'm glad they are not limited editions, this is my absolute favorite Grand Seiko and now I might have the possibility of getting one.

Edit: Ugh. never mind... Thought one of those was going to be Stainless.

I'd like a stainless with silver dial and silver hands (no blue second hand). If that existed, I'd probably buy it right now.
The blue hand is the best part!
Old 6 March 2020, 04:22 AM   #22
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The blue hand is the best part!
In your opinion
Old 6 March 2020, 04:43 AM   #23
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I generally am not a huge fan of Seiko but I love
these simple elegant designs . I wouldn’t mind getting
one of these . They’re gorgeous !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 04:54 AM   #24
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
In your opinion
Of course!
Old 6 March 2020, 04:56 AM   #25
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[/url]
I absolutely adore your watch, and am really pissed off I didn't manage to source one when they were released.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 05:13 AM   #26
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I absolutely adore your watch, and am really pissed off I didn't manage to source one when they were released.
Thank you! I bought pre-owned / complete set from a forum member at a good price; they can be found!!

This is such a great watch, and I don't anticipate ever letting it go...that good
Old 6 March 2020, 07:23 AM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I’d be happy with your 253. Different enough that yours is still special. And a titanium dress watch is just weird....
Locust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 07:34 AM   #28
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I kind of get your point, but given the still relatively small production numbers, GS are hardly flooding the market with anything.

You still have a beautiful watch that you like, why care what else they release ?
Old 6 March 2020, 07:58 AM   #29
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course!
I should also clarify, I'd take yours in a heartbeat, blue seconds or not... I just prefer the most boring conservative dials usually... my tastes are changing, must be getting old, lol.
Old 6 March 2020, 08:27 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Maybe think of it more as flattery ... the 2011 version was so good they went back to a winning formula

I'm not as fussed about limited editions as some. I buy the watch if it sings to me and don't care if it's easy or hard to get. Case in point:

SKX009 they probably made hundreds of thousands of these, but I honestly enjoy the heck out of it.

PAM690 boutique edition (500pcs). A couple years later ... they release the 932 similar but not exactly the same. Probably my favourite watch in my modest collection.

I can respect that you might see it differently Jonathan, just trying to help you along. You've got a great watch there and hopefully these newer releases don't deter your enjoyment of it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote