The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 February 2021, 11:11 PM   #1
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

TAG HEUER X HODINKEE Carrera DATO Limited

This is a home run!

From HODINKEE:

Our new collaboration with the Swiss brand revives an all-time classic: Jack Heuer's groundbreaking 1960s single sub-dial chronograph with date, the second-generation Carrera Dato ref. 3147N. A limited edition of 250 watches, the TAG Heuer Carrera Dato Limited Edition for HODINKEE features a reworked version of the brand's premium in-house automatic Calibre Heuer 02 placed inside the vintage-inspired 39mm "glassbox" case. Here's why we love it.

Jack Heuer was a horological hitmaker; a bootstrapper who guided his family firm to profitability after taking over in 1962, at the spry age of 30. The designs produced by Heuer during his first decade leading the brand are now considered some of the greatest triumphs in chronograph history. And if there's one collection that best exemplifies Heuer's approach to watchmaking, it's the Carrera chronograph.

First released in 1963, the Carrera served as the building block for a new generation of Heuer wristwatches. Its quick success granted the company the financial footing for further experiments in design and engineering, and in 1965, Heuer followed with the inaugural Carrera with a date function. That watch was the ref. 3147; not only was it the first Carrera with a calendar complication, but it was also one of the first chronograph wristwatches to feature the now-standard rotating date wheel display.

Nicknamed the "Dato 45" for its combination of an elapsed 45-minute register at three o'clock and a date display, this new-age chronograph featured the same clean and compact case profile of the conventional Carrera with a back-to-basics dial. You might recall this isn't the first time we've drawn from the original Dato 45 for a collaborative limited edition with TAG Heuer: The 2017 Carrera Skipper Limited Edition for HODINKEE featured a nearly identical single sub-register orientation. In working with our colleagues at TAG Heuer again, we wanted to bring back the watch that helped inspire one of our favorite projects ever, in as authentic a manner as possible.

Fifty-six years later, we think the Dato's rakish '60s aesthetic remains just as charming as ever. Always and forever an exercise of intelligibility in design, the new Carrera Dato features a few minor updates to enhance that effect; we didn't simply want to reproduce the original watch with TAG Heuer, but also to move it forward.

Vintage chronographs from the 1960s have long been a point of interest for in-the-know watch enthusiasts, and some of the most desirable are black-dialed examples from Heuer. An inky portal into the collector's world, these models are typically distinguished by an N – for noir – at the end of their reference numbers and share a bold, saturated aesthetic that stands out against the more conservative look of chronographs with silver and white dials.

You'll find absolutely no fauxtina on the new Carrera Dato's dial. Its glossy black tone now purposefully extends out to the chapter ring, enveloping the entire dial in a consistent, compelling darkness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:26 PM   #2
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nice.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:27 PM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Too thick for me
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:30 PM   #4
tjantheman
"TRF" Member

I like it and put one in my Hodinkee cart before deciding that I already have enough black-dialed watches: Explorer, Sub, Reverso Duoface, and Blancpain MIL-SPEC.
tjantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:41 PM   #5
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Yes, this is a home run. I'm sure they all sold out in five mins. I'm a huge fan of the Dato 45, and this modern incarnation is a stunner. 39mm, 80 hour power reserve, what's not to like. Nice. I look forward to seeing them on C24 and with Grey Sellers for $10-12k in a week's time!
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:43 PM   #6
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Sold out in 3 minutes.
Old 23 February 2021, 11:46 PM   #7
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Sold out in 3 minutes.
That seems to be about standard for the Hodinkee Special Editions. I nearly bought the Blancpain a few weeks ago, but changed my mind. Now, they sell for $18-22K. What a mad world we inhabit.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:49 PM   #8
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Mad indeed, it will be interesting to see what happens here, the Skipper seems to have more "POP" than this DATO, but the black will make this a classic, strap monster. Very Limited as well, 125 on the site gone in minutes, and the other 125 at boutique, no clue what that means, not familiar enough with Tag these days. All the small details are done very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
That seems to be about standard for the Hodinkee Special Editions. I nearly bought the Blancpain a few weeks ago, but changed my mind. Now, they sell for $18-22K. What a mad world we inhabit.
Old 24 February 2021, 12:04 AM   #9
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

Sorry I don’t see a $7,000 watch there. Hodinkee hype
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:13 AM   #10
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Exemplifies everything that’s wrong with the industry currently. Wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:18 AM   #11
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I am not a fan of Hodinkee collaborations though it appears that the broader market is because they all sell out instantly. I do not intend to participate, but they do make some nice watches. Just not for me.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:24 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
250 made. to sell out is not a big deal really. it is nice but not my type of watch. not a huge tag fan.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:31 AM   #13
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Same guys that sold a poorly made $6k travel clock. Thanks but no Thanks to TAG/HDNKEE.
Old 24 February 2021, 12:42 AM   #14
cbondanz
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD40
@tjantheman - I was in the same boat, had it in my cart put couldn’t pull the trigger on a $7k Tag that is way too thick and being black, not too special.

But I guarantee we’ll be kicking ourselves in 2 weeks when the grey’s are selling them for $20k.
cbondanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:45 AM   #15
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Meh. I prefer the Heuer originals. While the constant flood of re-issues is an acknowledgement of the brilliance of the earlier aesthetic, it also shows a lack of imagination and creativity to produce something new and appealing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37498478-5442-46E1-8DBE-29D5B466D196.jpeg (209.9 KB, 513 views)
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:53 AM   #16
jarraa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Meh. I prefer the Heuer originals. While the constant flood of re-issues is an acknowledgement of the brilliance of the earlier aesthetic, it also shows a lack of imagination and creativity to produce something new and appealing.

What reference number is that [mention]BigAppleBill [/mention] . It’s lovely!

jarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 12:58 AM   #17
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
For anyone interested they are available on Tag's site right now!

I picked one up. I think it's a perfect ode to their roots - very classic.
Old 24 February 2021, 01:37 AM   #18
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbondanz View Post
@tjantheman - I was in the same boat, had it in my cart put couldn’t pull the trigger on a $7k Tag that is way too thick and being black, not too special.

But I guarantee we’ll be kicking ourselves in 2 weeks when the grey’s are selling them for $20k.
Watch is ok. It is good looking, but a mentioned, a bit too thick.

The fact that speculators are buying these up immediately so they sell out and then flipping them is 100% ruining the fun of buying watches. The industry has a big problem, but not sure how to fix it.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 01:55 AM   #19
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
250 sold, 225 of which you will see on Chrono24 or "Coming Soon" to your favorite gray dealer website!!

I've always supported grays and think they serve a purpose, but this is out of control. Day by day, I become less and less interested in participating.
Old 24 February 2021, 01:59 AM   #20
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
This.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:19 AM   #21
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
250 sold, 225 of which you will see on Chrono24 or "Coming Soon" to your favorite gray dealer website!!

I've always supported grays and think they serve a purpose, but this is out of control. Day by day, I become less and less interested in participating.
This is pretty much where I am at. It just isn't fun anymore. Well, I still have fun going to my local Rolex/AP/FPJ AD/Boutique, so the hobby still interests me, but the "online" experience is very meh for me now.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:25 AM   #22
Tell44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 and 116500
I was able to snag one. I always wanted the Skipper and missed it, and may use this one to flip so I can actually acquire a Skipper if it doesn't jive with me. In any event, Im happy I got it as I might always keep it and also will get to see the proportions on wrist......and if I sell its impossible to lose money.
Tell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:42 AM   #23
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
For those that want one, they are up on Tag's site and were still available for purchase as of 9:42 MST.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:47 AM   #24
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I am not a fan of Hodinkee collaborations though it appears that the broader market is because they all sell out instantly. I do not intend to participate, but they do make some nice watches. Just not for me.
+1

Pretty one but neither into those collaborations nor into strap watches that are 15mm thick.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 02:55 AM   #25
Nachum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Too thick for me
Co-signed... 14.7mm is a bit much.
Nachum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 03:14 AM   #26
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
For those that want one, they are up on Tag's site and were still available for purchase as of 9:42 MST.
Which tells us even more that the speculators snatched up the Hodinkee ones so they could flip for a profit.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 03:18 AM   #27
Watchflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Which tells us even more that the speculators snatched up the Hodinkee ones so they could flip for a profit.
Still the same batch and same boxing etc - limited run of 250. 125 on the Dink and 125 on Tag and their boutiques.
Old 24 February 2021, 03:22 AM   #28
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Still the same batch and same boxing etc - limited run of 250. 125 on the Dink and 125 on Tag and their boutiques.
I like the move to sell some on H and some elsewhere. They did that with the IWC model and they lingered around boutiques for a short period of time before they all sold likely resulting in more collectors getting their hands on them. Hopefully the same result is achieved here.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 03:51 AM   #29
cbalster
"TRF" Member

On TAG site they are now gone
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 04:17 AM   #30
Watchflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
I like the move to sell some on H and some elsewhere. They did that with the IWC model and they lingered around boutiques for a short period of time before they all sold likely resulting in more collectors getting their hands on them. Hopefully the same result is achieved here.

Agreed - gives a shot for people to take it in and make a decision without being under the gun.

I’ll post pics once I receive it.