The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 18 December 2023, 01:37 PM   #1
Manlodan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster 168.024
Surprising fake Tudor that sold on Yahoo! Auctions

I have used Yahoo! Auctions for a couple years now, and I think it’s a great place for watches, especially if you are a Japanese resident. That said, I stumbled across what I believe to be a flat-out fake Prince Oysterdate ref. 74000 that sold for a suprising 81,000 yen! (570USD)
I figured it would be a good idea to post here as a learning experience, and what not to buy.

Here’s the link to the completed auction: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/f1113056845

My biggest red flags are the misaligned and poorly printed text on the dial, the weird dial texture, the hands and date wheel, and the lack of ID codes on the bracelet or end links. I would say the case might be real, if not for the weird, slightly slanted letters on the case back, though that could just be the angle of the photo.

There are definitely plenty of redials and refurbs out there, but this is definitely the worst I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 December 2023, 02:50 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

These happen everyday - and in the spirit of communication, we avoid such obvious fakes.

It’s a nuanced point and I’m only sharing since new members don’t always have time to read all the stickies…

Not wanting to dampen your spirit - the super fakes on eBay will give potential buyers more useful warnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2023, 03:29 PM   #3
Manlodan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster 168.024
Surprising fake Tudor that sold on Yahoo! Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
These happen everyday - and in the spirit of communication, we avoid such obvious fakes.

It’s a nuanced point and I’m only sharing since new members don’t always have time to read all the stickies…

Not wanting to dampen your spirit - the super fakes on eBay will give potential buyers more useful warnings.

I see.. to be honest, when I first was first searching for these watches, I bookmarked it and followed it for a while, not realizing it was a fake. I had never seen one in person before, so I really didn’t know. In the last day of listing, I started looking at it more closely in direct comparison to other watches to be safe, and that’s when I realized it was fake.. I have a little more experience than some, but I’d still consider myself a newbie, so I thought it might be useful for others to see. I totally understand where you’re coming from though, it probably is obvious to most.
That said, I wouldn’t have even posted it if it hadn’t sold- hopefully not to one of the forum members

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 December 2023, 08:07 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Don't worry, the one you posted here might actually fool an uneducated buyer and might actually have some real parts. I wasn't referring to watches like this. When I wrote and pinned that notice above, five years ago, we were getting multiple daily "wow, look what I found" posts showing really awful 'modern' fakes that wouldn't fool anyone, and it was getting really tiresome for many.
Old 18 December 2023, 10:15 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thanks for the clarification Adam

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote