The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2010, 01:56 AM   #31
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinthemiddle View Post
Great points, Pete! Went to dinner at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn last week...the tab for 2 people (With a nice bottle of wine) came to just under $300 ($375 after tip).....The prices in the NYC area are higher, but like you said, there are people willing to pay... also-lecturing a sales associate on the COMPANY'S pricing structure? Seriously?
__________________________________________________ ___________

You didn't tell the waiter that you can buy a year's supply of Omaha Steak's on the internet for that price?!

By the way... Peter Lugers is perfect example of paying for some "hype". It's a great steak but I think there are better steaks to be had in NYC with less hassle of cash only and having to go to Williamsburg...but, they have the BEST reputation and every client that has come to NY and wanted a good steak has wanted Luger's, price be dammed! lol You pay a premium for the experience.

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:01 AM   #32
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
The 'marked price' will likely not be the selling price.
Tourneau will discount off the marked price on Used watches (including I expect that Daytona). I just bought a Breitling Chronomat Used from Tourneau in LA.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:01 AM   #33
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
__________________________________________________ ___________

You didn't tell the waiter that you can buy a year's supply of Omaha Steak's on the internet for that price?!

By the way... Peter Lugers is perfect example of paying for some "hype". It's a great steak but I think there are better steaks to be had in NYC with less hassle of cash only and having to go to Williamsburg...but, they have the BEST reputation and every client that has come to NY and wanted a good steak has wanted Luger's, price be dammed! lol You pay a premium for the experience.

-Pete
I agree....but it had been a while since we had been there...and as always the service was second to none. "Hype" is true, though...I meanI know I can do a dry rub on some 2" ribeyes and grill up a mean MF'er of a steak at home...for less than a $100. Anyhow, I digress.....IMHO the premium was worth the experience...
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:02 AM   #34
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
No - couldn't get myself to buy from a gray.
__________________________________________________ _____________

You just answered your own question, you found it cheaper but didn't buy it, you didn't want to pay that much from a non-AD. Torneu of all stores know this and charge whatever they think the market will sustain...if the watch is there in a month, it won't be $15,000, they will slowly take it down until one of the "lookers" becomes a "customer".

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 02:02 AM   #35
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

-Pete
You could say the same about Rolex.
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:03 AM   #36
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree....but it had been a while since we had been there...and as always the service was second to none. "Hype" is true, though...I meanI know I can do a dry rub on some 2" ribeyes and grill up a mean MF'er of a steak at home...for less than a $100. Anyhow, I digress.....IMHO the premium was worth the experience...
__________________________________________________ ____________
The steak on my back yard grill always tastes better than a steak house!

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 02:03 AM   #37
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
You could say the same about Rolex.
Ha! That's too funny...err....
Old 5 April 2010, 02:05 AM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My white face that ive just sold (pending payment) was a bargain then...maybe I should have sold it to that mob haha
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:06 AM   #39
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
My white face that ive just sold (pending payment) was a bargain then...maybe I should have sold it to that mob haha
Aw, Your Daytona's gone? Say it isn't so!
Did you get $15,900+ USD for it?
Old 5 April 2010, 02:10 AM   #40
Victoria

Watch: Still looking. . .
LOL! You guys are killing me here!

I'm not a big fan of Tourneau since I tried to purchase a pre-owned from them, but they were not willing to negotiate more than a $250 "coupon" off the price. Seriously? Ummm... no. I'm no tourist, honey!

I live in Manhattan and pay high prices for everything. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.! I will go to an out of state AD, a grey market internet site or use a reputable seller here on TRF for my Rolex purchase because I don't want to pay the sales tax or deal with the shady sales people. (And yes, I'm stillllllllllllllll looking!)

However, in defense of the shopkeepers here in the city, they also pay those high rents -and for their shop on 57th St. - it's not cheap! Granted, I would argue that they make the most profit on their pre-owned stock, but they also have to sell at higher prices to pay the rent and the commissions. I've just chosen not to "donate" my hard-earned cash to their business model. Let Midwestern Millie pick up that tab, thanks. (I was born in Illinois, so no hate mail for the regional comment, ok?!) ;)

Best,
~v

P.S. Peter Lugers is a place you have to do at least once. Just bring your cash (because you *have* to pay in cash unless you have an account with them) -and make sure you have a plenty Ben Franklin's in your pocket for a party of two. But next time, go to Restaurant Daniel in Manhattan.... C'est magnifique!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 02:16 AM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aw, Your Daytona's gone? Say it isn't so!
Did you get $15,900+ USD for it?
$15,900 would be lovely lol.....naa I couldnt do that. I think stuff like that is way too greedy.
I sold the Daytona at a price where I didnt lose or gain....maybe makes me a poor businessman, but I have a wedding coming up and times must!

Also makes whos bought it very happy, and if you can make someone happy, what goes around comes around :)
Old 5 April 2010, 02:24 AM   #42
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
$15,900 would be lovely lol.....naa I couldnt do that. I think stuff like that is way too greedy.
I sold the Daytona at a price where I didnt lose or gain....maybe makes me a poor businessman, but I have a wedding coming up and times must!

Also makes whos bought it very happy, and if you can make someone happy, what goes around comes around :)
That's fantastic-re: your upcoming wedding! I'm well-chuffed for you both! Congrats!
At least you broke even with the Daytona! I flipped mine recently, because it wasn't "smiling" at me anymore, and actually don't miss it...
Old 5 April 2010, 02:28 AM   #43
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's fantastic-re: your upcoming wedding! I'm well-chuffed for you both! Congrats!
At least you broke even with the Daytona! I flipped mine recently, because it wasn't "smiling" at me anymore, and actually don't miss it...
Saying goodbye to the Daytona is going to be hard for me. It's the watch I always wanted, however I have been so paranoid about scratching it, that I have hardly worn it and when I did it was hidden under my sleeve. As a result I spent more time looking at it than wearing it. It is now in its box, in my little safe, ready for its new home.

I dont buy Rolex watches to make a profit. I just dont want to lose much on them, and with the Daytona I wasnt going to be greedy, but I wasnt going to let it go for stupid money as its basically brand new.

Anyway, onwards and upwards....I may buy a Daytona again in the future....white face all the way :)
Old 5 April 2010, 03:09 AM   #44
caveatesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great points, Pete! Went to dinner at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn last week...the tab for 2 people (With a nice bottle of wine) came to just under $300 ($375 after tip).....The prices in the NYC area are higher, but like you said, there are people willing to pay... also-lecturing a sales associate on the COMPANY'S pricing structure? Seriously?
I have to disagree with your analogy. I agree that a dinner a Peter Lugers is expensive but you are paying for more than the steak and wine - you are also getting the service and dining experience. The Daytona is purely a commodity and whether I buy it at Tourneau or at a gray Internet site, it's the same watch - but I am sure that the buying experience on the web would be a better one than at Tourneau.

Also I never lectured the sales associate. I merely noted that the price was far in excess of msrp and wished her luck with the sale. I understand that prices in NYC are higher than elsewhere as I have lived in the NYC metro area my entire life . . . And like most New Yorkers I am not a sucker and don't enjoy a rip off. I'll save that joy for the throngs of tourists.
caveatesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 03:10 AM   #45
mb hawaii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 /126715CHNR
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _______________

The same people that pay over $1,000,000.00 for a small one-bedroom apartment, $400 for a steak dinner, $15 for a movie...etc.
There is a lot of money in New York City and if someone wants it bad enough, the extra money is nothing, some of the folks in NYC make that money in minutes. I don't like Tourneu that much but they know what they are doing, their clientele and how much they will pay. I have told the story when I was looking at the GV Milgaus and before I could even put it back on the tray to "decide" someone came in asked for "that green Rolex" and had the credit card on the counter.

There is no need to laugh at her, just walk out and don't buy it. I will bet that it is gone tomorrow or the next day...also, that is their asking price, if you were serious about it and offered a reasonable amount, I am sure they would have negotiated. But telling her how wrong she is, likely not the best way to get a discount - neither is pointing out how much over retail it was.

Just curious for all the people that love to do that to Rolex dealers, do you go to the local Chevrolet dealer each Saturday and point out that they are charging a premium, above sticker for the new Camaro because they are the new "it" car?!

-Pete

+1, well said!
mb hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 03:17 AM   #46
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
I have to disagree with your analogy. I agree that a dinner a Peter Lugers is expensive but you are paying for more than the steak and wine - you are also getting the service and dining experience. The Daytona is purely a commodity and whether I buy it at Tourneau or at a gray Internet site, it's the same watch - but I am sure that the buying experience on the web would be a better one than at Tourneau.

Also I never lectured the sales associate. I merely noted that the price was far in excess of msrp and wished her luck with the sale. I understand that prices in NYC are higher than elsewhere as I have lived in the NYC metro area my entire life . . . And like most New Yorkers I am not a sucker and don't enjoy a rip off. I'll save that joy for the throngs of tourists.

Okay, so being from New York, did you really think that you were going to be that one lucky guy that walked in and asked about a SS Daytona...and they were going to happen to have one that nobody inquired about and it would be at 20% off MSRP?
It's not a rip-off if they can't force you to pay - the Subway and Taxes in NYC, that's a rip-off!!
I am sure that Torneu isn't making most of their money on Tourists, not with the tax rate in NYC at over 8%... but they make their money on people who want what they want and are willing to pay, I think that was Marc's point, and mine.

If they only sold to members of TRF, they would shut down tomorrow, you can say that for almost any retail operation, they are not their for the hobbyist (spelling?) but they are there for the average consumer, and they are there to make money.

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 03:21 AM   #47
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

I am just curious about how much would you guys sell a Daytona if you had one.. check it here and vote to see the results.
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=123149
Old 5 April 2010, 03:21 AM   #48
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Good for the big T, if they can get it more power to them.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 03:22 AM   #49
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Quote:

Okay, so being from New York, did you really think that you were going to be that one lucky guy that walked in and asked about a SS Daytona...and they were going to happen to have one that nobody inquired about and it would be at 20% off MSRP?
It's not a rip-off if they can't force you to pay - the Subway and Taxes in NYC, that's a rip-off!!
I am sure that Torneu isn't making most of their money on Tourists, not with the tax rate in NYC at over 8%... but they make their money on people who want what they want and are willing to pay, I think that was Marc's point, and mine.

If they only sold to members of TRF, they would shut down tomorrow, you can say that for almost any retail operation, they are not their for the hobbyist (spelling?) but they are there for the average consumer, and they are there to make money.

-Pete
Hey Pete, doesn't his profile say he's from CT? "I merely noted that the price was far in excess of msrp and wished her luck with the sale." OK- so it wasn't a lecture...apologies....
But seriously...the place has the nickname "turd-neau' for a reason. There are multiple threads here on TRF about their sub-standard customer service AND their outrageuosly high prices. All the info's here on the Forum....one just need to take the time and find it.
Old 5 April 2010, 03:30 AM   #50
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey Pete, doesn't his profile say he's from CT? "I merely noted that the price was far in excess of msrp and wished her luck with the sale." OK- so it wasn't a lecture...apologies....
But seriously...the place has the nickname "turd-neau' for a reason. There are multiple threads here on TRF about their sub-standard customer service AND their outrageuosly high prices. All the info's here on the Forum....one just need to take the time and find it.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I didn't see it...yup, right there it says "CT". Explains it all!

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 03:38 AM   #51
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Quote:

I didn't see it...yup, right there it says "CT". Explains it all!

-Pete
Pete! I'm in CT (most of the time) too!!!
Old 5 April 2010, 03:44 AM   #52
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pete! I'm in CT (most of the time) too!!!
__________________________________________________ ____________

It's okay, nobody is perfect !

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 03:44 AM   #53
mb hawaii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 /126715CHNR
Don't forget when you say it's a lot of money or way overpriced that it's all "relative". Sure it's a lot of money to me (and to most) but not to a multi-millionaire. How many of you have gone to an airport or the movies and paid over a 100% markup on something. Sure you paid $3 for candy you can get a the supermarket for $1 and not really sweat it because the extra $2 relative to your net worth is easily affordable. Well, if you're net worth was $100 million you probably wouldn't sweat the extra $5000 you're paying to get the watch you want right away. Just because you don't want to pay $15K for a $10K watch doesn't mean no one will. When it comes to wealth it all relative.
mb hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 04:02 AM   #54
pitbull03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb hawaii View Post
Don't forget when you say it's a lot of money or way overpriced that it's all "relative". Sure it's a lot of money to me (and to most) but not to a multi-millionaire. How many of you have gone to an airport or the movies and paid over a 100% markup on something. Sure you paid $3 for candy you can get a the supermarket for $1 and not really sweat it because the extra $2 relative to your net worth is easily affordable. Well, if you're net worth was $100 million you probably wouldn't sweat the extra $5000 you're paying to get the watch you want right away. Just because you don't want to pay $15K for a $10K watch doesn't mean no one will. When it comes to wealth it all relative.
This is a smart man. Someone I would do business with.
pitbull03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 04:16 AM   #55
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
<<< The same people that pay over $1,000,000.00 for a small one-bedroom apartment, $400 for a steak dinner, $15 for a movie...etc.
There is a lot of money in New York City and if someone wants it bad enough, the extra money is nothing, some of the folks in NYC make that money in minutes. I don't like Tourneu that much but they know what they are doing, their clientele and how much they will pay. I have told the story when I was looking at the GV Milgaus and before I could even put it back on the tray to "decide" someone came in asked for "that green Rolex" and had the credit card on the counter.

There is no need to laugh at her, just walk out and don't buy it. I will bet that it is gone tomorrow or the next day...also, that is their asking price, if you were serious about it and offered a reasonable amount, I am sure they would have negotiated. But telling her how wrong she is, likely not the best way to get a discount - neither is pointing out how much over retail it was.

Just curious for all the people that love to do that to Rolex dealers, do you go to the local Chevrolet dealer each Saturday and point out that they are charging a premium, above sticker for the new Camaro because they are the new "it" car?! >>>

I don't think comparing the OP's price quote at that store with the price of a new Camaro or a flat in NYC or dinner at an expensive restaurant is entirely fair because in those other instances those are the known "going rates" or market prices that people are typically aware of going in and expect to pay, whereas the price of that Daytona was well above the current market price and not in line with other similar establishments selling the same exact item.
hhh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 04:27 AM   #56
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
I would do the same to a Camaro dealer.
So would I, and twice on Sunday. I loathe profiteering.
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 04:37 AM   #57
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Do I get an atta boy for reading this entire thread ? We have a Tourneu in the high rent district of north Dallas. I've never set foot in it. No desire to. I have however been to the one in Chicago a number of years ago. Not impressed. I would not however denigrate the sales staff regardless of the price quoted. Their employer is in the business to make money just as I am and I'm not a retail establishment. God bless 'em for they sure do have to put up with a lot of garbage from some people.
Old 5 April 2010, 04:39 AM   #58
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris russell View Post
So would I, and twice on Sunday. I loathe profiteering.
Supply and demand pure and simple. When the demand drops off as it has started to do, so will the dealers start to lower their selling price. No one is forcing you to buy it !
Old 5 April 2010, 05:29 AM   #59
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=hhh007;1768174

I don't think comparing the OP's price quote at that store with the price of a new Camaro or a flat in NYC or dinner at an expensive restaurant is entirely fair because in those other instances those are the known "going rates" or market prices that people are typically aware of going in and expect to pay, whereas the price of that Daytona was well above the current market price and not in line with other similar establishments selling the same exact item.[/QUOTE]

Why isn't it fair, a one bedroom apartment in Virginia is lower than a one bedroom in New York City.

The price/value of anything is only what people are willing to pay. I will say it again, do you think Torneu became so big and so "hated" because they are not smart business people. If the SS Daytona sits in the store for over a week, they will lower the price. I promise you that there is a manager of the Torneu that know that over 100 people will come in on a good day and ask for the SS Daytona - one of them will be excited to finally get it, throw down a Credit Card and walk out with it.

There is no "value" of a Rolex beyond the material it's made from (which again, if people stopped buying precious metals, the market and value would drop) and the percieved value people will pay for it.

I guess for all those that bash Torneu or any business for asking more than you think it's worth, you don't expect your AD or any business to lower the price either?! Did you pay sticker for your last car? Did you not negotiate when buying your house? I mean after all, that is the value - no?

Do I get a prize for using the most words on a thread?!

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 05:33 AM   #60
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
What a rip off!!

For US$15,900, catch one of our trusted TRF sellers and you will not only get a brand new SS Daytona, but also a brand new SS Sub-date and still have enough change left over to take your wife out to a nice dinner!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote