The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2019, 09:41 PM   #31
Pongster
"TRF" Member

If i were you id get a twenty-4. One in white gold to complement your palladium metal birkins/kellys and another in gold to complement your gold metal birkins/kellys.

I would have suggested the lady nautilus but you said you dont like it.

My wife (who’s also into Ks and Bs as well as constances and the others that i can no longer remember) fancies everose rolexes as well as pink gold cartiers.

Side note: Except for neckties (during my tie phase back in the day), i was only able to get Hermes stuff whenever my wife needs to bundle to be able to score a bag. I call this husband support shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 10:31 PM   #32
baglady
"TRF" Member

The thing with building an Hermes relationship is that it's substantially easier than building a Patek one, owing to the fact that the cheapest items in the shop are in the 3 figures, and I got my first Birkin after spending all of $4k-$5k in the aggregate and over multiple visits. In fact, I think my first Patek purchase on the way to an aquanaut would far exceed what I've ever spent in the aggregate at Hermes for non-Kelly/Birkin items.
Old 29 August 2019, 11:00 PM   #33
Vipes
"TRF" Member

The 5205r is a great choice. Keep in mind, the 5164r has the rubber strap which will flare out a bit at the lugs. This will affect smaller wrists. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 29 August 2019, 11:14 PM   #34
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I didn't realize it was easier to get. Any suggestions on smaller cities in the EU I should try? I am headed to Barcelona and Rome in the next few months so can try there. I did try a dealer in Florence but was laughed out the shop there. And was also laughed out of the Tel Aviv AD (which I know isn't EU but fits with the smaller town theme).

Thank you :-)
Smaller cities in this respect would be places w a population on the order of 100k or 200k and w less money floating around. Certainly smaller than Florence or TA and less money and tourists walking into the ADs. Rome and Barcelona won't be better than Paris or London I am afraid.

There is tons of small non-touristy places w an AD scattered across Europe, just check the Patek website.
Old 29 August 2019, 11:18 PM   #35
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Smaller cities in this respect would be places w a population on the order of 100k or 200k and w less money floating around. Certainly smaller than Florence or TA and less money and tourists walking into the ADs. Rome and Barcelona won't be better than Paris or London I am afraid.

There is tons of small non-touristy places w an AD scattered across Europe, just check the Patek website.
Got it. Thank you
Old 29 August 2019, 11:19 PM   #36
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
The 5205r is a great choice. Keep in mind, the 5164r has the rubber strap which will flare out a bit at the lugs. This will affect smaller wrists. Good luck with the hunt!
Thanks! I actually was never a fan of the aquanaut in pictures. But then i saw someone wearing one on a flight a few weeks ago and what can I say I got weak in the knees!
Old 29 August 2019, 11:25 PM   #37
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post

I'll also be in Girona in October. According to Google, less than 100k people. Let's see what happens!?
Old 30 August 2019, 10:06 AM   #38
crack3rd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I didn't realize it was easier to get. Any suggestions on smaller cities in the EU I should try? I am headed to Barcelona and Rome in the next few months so can try there. I did try a dealer in Florence but was laughed out the shop there. And was also laughed out of the Tel Aviv AD (which I know isn't EU but fits with the smaller town theme).

Thank you :-)
It is definitely easier to get than steel aquanauts. As others suggested, try talking to many ADs and find an AD that is willing to work with you. Which 5205R are you looking for? 5205R in the white dial is pretty easy to find compared to the black dial. I've talked to many ADs during my Europe trip, and most of them have the white dial but not the black. Good luck!
Old 30 August 2019, 10:54 AM   #39
taylce
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Hi everyone--just wanted to introduce myself as a noob on this forum, and as newly rich, I've acquired a dangerously expensive interest in buying a Patek.

I'm looking to make my first acquisition(s) by December/January/February. On my list are:

5164R (lol I know right?)
5205R

I'm curious if anyone had thoughts on the suitability of the 5205R for women? I'm not a huge fan of the "womens" watches in general, and the 5205 seems so classic.

I'm also wondering if anyone has advice for how to snag the 5164 from an AD. I travel quite extensively (and can go anywhere pretty much at a moment's notice for this). I'm also willing to purchase both as a package deal.

Even if no one as any advice, I'm glad to be part of this community and happy to say hello :-)
Hello
For me as a lady I love to aim higher so i would suggest you look into the 7150/250R.
You are really gonna love it if you are a minted lady like me
ha ha ha

Cheers!!!
Old 30 August 2019, 05:17 PM   #40
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks! I actually was never a fan of the aquanaut in pictures. But then i saw someone wearing one on a flight a few weeks ago and what can I say I got weak in the knees!
Go to the grey market and just buy the 5164 unworn with full paperwork and box and be done with it. You can skip all the drama of trying to get one from an AD at retail, it's impossible and even if you buy a few other Pateks first you'll still have to wait a year.
Old 30 August 2019, 05:34 PM   #41
Mike Jab
Banned

Quote:
I am newly rich, but that's out of my own (I'd like to think) smart financial decisions, although I'm not going to pretend that there's been a weird element of dumb luck in some of my best investments.

And with that preface, I'll say that a Grand Complication is out of budget. Whether or not I can afford it, I draw my own lines for what makes sense to me. And those lines have served me well in life so far.

To clarify: Not just looking for a Patek because of the brand. The brand (in my mind) helps with value preservation (and perhaps some appreciation). I like what looks good (on me). This is why I buy Kellys and Birkins--they're beautiful bags. And this is why I don't buy monogrammed garbage bags. This is also why I'll never want or buy a Nautilus. The watch just doesn't appeal to me :-/
Apologies, many contradictory things said in this post, so I get you only like 2 models from Patek. Beauty is relative so Kellys and Birkins might be beautiful to you but not to other people.
And i don't think it's fair to call monogrammed bags garbage although you're entitled to your opinion.
I would much prefer my woman to wear some jewellery-esque watch like Cartier or Bulgari than a man's watch like the 2 you are looking at - but that's my opinion too.
Old 30 August 2019, 05:41 PM   #42
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jab View Post
Apologies, many contradictory things said in this post, so I get you only like 2 models from Patek. Beauty is relative so Kellys and Birkins might be beautiful to you but not to other people.
And i don't think it's fair to call monogrammed bags garbage although you're entitled to your opinion.
I would much prefer my woman to wear some jewellery-esque watch like Cartier or Bulgari than a man's watch like the 2 you are looking at - but that's my opinion too.
This all just makes me glad I’m not “your woman.”
Old 30 August 2019, 05:44 PM   #43
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylce View Post
Hello
For me as a lady I love to aim higher so i would suggest you look into the 7150/250R.
You are really gonna love it if you are a minted lady like me
ha ha ha

Cheers!!!

Again don’t like watches with diamonds. Just doesn’t get me going. And I get that’s personal. My engagement ring is yellow gold+ruby.
Old 30 August 2019, 05:45 PM   #44
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack3rd View Post
It is definitely easier to get than steel aquanauts. As others suggested, try talking to many ADs and find an AD that is willing to work with you. Which 5205R are you looking for? 5205R in the white dial is pretty easy to find compared to the black dial. I've talked to many ADs during my Europe trip, and most of them have the white dial but not the black. Good luck!

I think the white dial is gorgeous but prefer black because I think it’s unique and the residuals might be slightly better.
Old 30 August 2019, 05:47 PM   #45
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Go to the grey market and just buy the 5164 unworn with full paperwork and box and be done with it. You can skip all the drama of trying to get one from an AD at retail, it's impossible and even if you buy a few other Pateks first you'll still have to wait a year.

I’m not at all opposed to this, but comes down to price. I think right now retail is 40k GBP, and gray market is 64k GBP. I’d be willing to pay a premium but I think 24k GBP is a bit much. Seems like things might soften a bit more in the next 5 months though. I’d bite at 55k GBP.
Old 30 August 2019, 06:03 PM   #46
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The thing with building an Hermes relationship is that it's substantially easier than building a Patek one, owing to the fact that the cheapest items in the shop are in the 3 figures, and I got my first Birkin after spending all of $4k-$5k in the aggregate and over multiple visits. In fact, I think my first Patek purchase on the way to an aquanaut would far exceed what I've ever spent in the aggregate at Hermes for non-Kelly/Birkin items.

My wife has done well at Hermès, and likes to tease me about how much harder the watch relationship build is.

“Can’t you just buy a sweater and some sandals?”

Stings!

Welcome to the forum!

Old 30 August 2019, 06:34 PM   #47
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
My wife has done well at Hermès, and likes to tease me about how much harder the watch relationship build is.

“Can’t you just buy a sweater and some sandals?”

Stings!

Welcome to the forum!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I bought a lovely wallet from Hermes. It was GBP 3k. Expensive, but also greases the relationship a bit and is far from dropping 30k on something I don't want.

I do actually want the 5205 though.
Old 30 August 2019, 06:56 PM   #48
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm talking about! I bought a lovely wallet from Hermes. It was GBP 3k. Expensive, but also greases the relationship a bit and is far from dropping 30k on something I don't want.

I do actually want the 5205 though.
Follow your heart - get the 5205. It is a lovely complement to your birkins.
Old 30 August 2019, 07:36 PM   #49
MilesB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not at all opposed to this, but comes down to price. I think right now retail is 40k GBP, and gray market is 64k GBP. I’d be willing to pay a premium but I think 24k GBP is a bit much. Seems like things might soften a bit more in the next 5 months though. I’d bite at 55k GBP.
It can't hurt to offer them £55k. I doubt the watches go for 'list price'.

Have you been to the other London ADs for the 5205R yet? i.e. Wempe, Boodles, Pragnell, etc. One of them probably has it in stock.
Old 30 August 2019, 08:33 PM   #50
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
It can't hurt to offer them £55k. I doubt the watches go for 'list price'.

Have you been to the other London ADs for the 5205R yet? i.e. Wempe, Boodles, Pragnell, etc. One of them probably has it in stock.
I went to Boodles and they had decent selection, but no cigar on the 5205. WoS was a barren wasteland. And they warned me not to get in their list if I'm already on the list for it somewhere else, since that would lead me to getting blacklisted.

I'm fine with waiting for the 5205. And if I happen upon it on one of my trips I'll pick one up there. The 5164 I'll need to make a more deliberate attempt for.

I am feeling a little sense of urgency. With the GBP free fall and potential further drop on November 1, there's a good opportunity to pick stuff up before retailers can react. And generally I am more cash heavy these days, waiting for the global apocalypse so I can scoop up other good value assets. As my partner says, it's all about positioning
Old 30 August 2019, 08:56 PM   #51
MilesB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I went to Boodles and they had decent selection, but no cigar on the 5205. WoS was a barren wasteland. And they warned me not to get in their list if I'm already on the list for it somewhere else, since that would lead me to getting blacklisted.

I'm fine with waiting for the 5205. And if I happen upon it on one of my trips I'll pick one up there. The 5164 I'll need to make a more deliberate attempt for.

I am feeling a little sense of urgency. With the GBP free fall and potential further drop on November 1, there's a good opportunity to pick stuff up before retailers can react. And generally I am more cash heavy these days, waiting for the global apocalypse so I can scoop up other good value assets. As my partner says, it's all about positioning
I'm fairly new to the world of Patek, but from what I've seen waiting lists are just an expression of interest until you put a deposit down. I have a 5146G on the way and needed to put a deposit to guarantee the next one was mine. So I wouldn't worry about blacklists.

I know what you mean about the GBP in free fall. Definitely worth parking some in a USD and/or EUR account.

Patek raised prices in the UK earlier this year, so I'd be surprised if they adjusted prices again, but who knows how far the pound will fall. I'm also hearing rumours the ADs are being steered to selling to UK based customers to prevent people coming to get pieces on the cheap.
Old 30 August 2019, 09:21 PM   #52
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Welcome. Personally I’d go get a RM as a lady. RM 67-01 red gold on orange alligator strap. That would match the Hermes.
yes, also fits nouveau riche in every sense and meaning of the term.
Old 30 August 2019, 09:48 PM   #53
baglady
"TRF" Member

All my assets are USD denominated so the last few months have been "good" for me.

I was trolling through the grey marker dealers in Mayfair this morning. Spotted a 5617R and 5164 stainless steel. So close. The price wasn't terrible for the former.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:01 PM   #54
MilesB
"TRF" Member

I think you've subconsciously already bought it, you just need your conscious self to catch up.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:08 PM   #55
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Old 30 August 2019, 10:10 PM   #56
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
All my assets are USD denominated so the last few months have been "good" for me.

I was trolling through the grey marker dealers in Mayfair this morning. Spotted a 5617R and 5164 stainless steel. So close. The price wasn't terrible for the former.
I troll too but not through mayfair
Old 30 August 2019, 10:26 PM   #57
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
I think you've subconsciously already bought it, you just need your conscious self to catch up.

The 5167 was gorgeous. Just perfect for my complexion.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:26 PM   #58
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I troll too but not through mayfair

I trolled Hatton Garden earlier this week. Dealer very aggressively told me he could source a 5164R.
Old 30 August 2019, 10:59 PM   #59
Mike Jab
Banned

Quote:
Happy too, you seem to be quite materialistic
Old 30 August 2019, 11:51 PM   #60
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jab View Post
Happy too, you seem to be quite materialistic
Buddy you're on the internet posting about expensive watches. And you commoditize women. Let's not start casting aspersions at each other. I like a little foreplay first.
Closed Thread