The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 December 2020, 09:51 PM   #1
clayjame
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oyster Knurled Pins

Hi,

I have a Rolex Oyster which I am currently changing all the knurled pins but I am unable to find new pins with the same dimensions to replace them. My pin thickness is around 1.27mm from the middle and around 1.34 from the end knurld part of the pin. The once I am finding to buy is similar in the middle but the end part is 1.15mm which is very loose when I try to put it in the link.

Did someone ran int the same problem and have you found somewhere from where to buy the right pins. Also do you think the Rolex is original because I am finding it very hard to believe that I am not able to find the right pins. From my end I have all the papers and also bought it from an authorised reseller.

Thank you in advance for all your help and will wait for you help in resolving this matter.
clayjame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 12:11 PM   #2
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I tried to find them as well, with no luck.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
clayjame
"TRF" Member

Don't know why these are not available to buy from usual companies as the other knurled pins.
clayjame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 10:08 PM   #4
rolexalan
"TRF" Member

i have 40,000 knurled pins for rolex bracelets!

DSC_0170 by alan hughes, on Flickr
rolexalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 10:10 PM   #5
rolexalan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayjame View Post
Hi,

I have a Rolex Oyster which I am currently changing all the knurled pins but I am unable to find new pins with the same dimensions to replace them. My pin thickness is around 1.27mm from the middle and around 1.34 from the end knurld part of the pin. The once I am finding to buy is similar in the middle but the end part is 1.15mm which is very loose when I try to put it in the link.

Did someone ran int the same problem and have you found somewhere from where to buy the right pins. Also do you think the Rolex is original because I am finding it very hard to believe that I am not able to find the right pins. From my end I have all the papers and also bought it from an authorised reseller.

Thank you in advance for all your help and will wait for you help in resolving this matter.
20mm oyster bracelet? Likely to be 1.4mm diameter pin - 13.3mm long. Has to be 1.45mm over the knurled ends
Old 4 December 2020, 12:24 AM   #6
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi,

What are knurled pins?
Old 4 December 2020, 01:27 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

I'm not sure that there is a vendor selling parts like these. Most of the commercial repair shops that specialize in bracelet repairs order their parts to spec.

Typically, knurling a rod will expand it slightly, so likely the original pins you measure show the original rod diameter, then the knurled ends have expanded through the knurling process. This is a common way to get a better fit for a loose rod.

If you are finding knurled pins with the ends smaller than the rod size, perhaps they are not actually knurled.

Contact any of the shops that specialize in repairs and ask if you can buy a packet of the correct rods/pins. They are in business, so a sale is a sale, or ask where they get theirs.
Old 31 January 2021, 12:26 AM   #8
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
What are knurled pins?
YES,... what are knurled pins?
Now I guess these are the pins which hold the Oyster bracelet 'side to side' links together, rather than rivet pins (exposed heads) on earlier bracelets ?
Couldn't someone give us an in focus pic of a knurled pin or pins and the side link with hole the knurled pin fits into?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 04:05 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Apparently these knurled pins are more available than I had thought.

Here is a selection for Rolex watches sold by Cousins UK, a popular watch parts house, including the sizes used in Rolex watches.

knurled pins.jpg
Old 31 January 2021, 05:39 AM   #10
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Tools;11235583]Apparently these knurled pins are more available than I had thought.

Here is a selection for Rolex watches sold by Cousins UK, a popular watch parts house, including the sizes used in Rolex watches

Very helpful,... Will look out for the non stepped pins when needed.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:27 AM   #11
rolexalan
"TRF" Member

The problem with the cousins pins is the knurled ends on the 1.4mm pins drops down to 1.15mm
Old 10 March 2022, 10:56 PM   #12
Pierlx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexalan View Post
The problem with the cousins pins is the knurled ends on the 1.4mm pins drops down to 1.15mm
Hi! i have your same problem!!!
Have you solved?
Pierlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 10:27 PM   #13
rolexalan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierlx View Post
Hi! i have your same problem!!!
Have you solved?
i can supply the correct pins
Old 16 March 2022, 11:13 PM   #14
Pierlx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexalan View Post
i can supply the correct pins
Thank you,
I bought them.
if they are not good I will contact you.
Pierlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:03 AM   #15
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

The Cousins Pins are odd sizes and hardly fit any models . Plus they break easily . I would avoid them if you dont have experience of working with this.
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 01:38 AM   #16
gtbouch
"TRF" Member

Watch: '02 Datejust SS/18
Fascinating. How about Rolex admits that for decades the hollow link design was a failure causing massive wear. They should recall and repair free or replace.
gtbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:08 AM   #17
diverbennett
"TRF" Member

If you can find one, I also need one lol.
diverbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 07:36 PM   #18
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbouch View Post
Fascinating. How about Rolex admits that for decades the hollow link design was a failure causing massive wear. They should recall and repair free or replace.
It's down to individual use, as well as how often (if ever) you clean the bracelet.

It is absolutely not a flawed design warranting recall and free replacement. The proof of that is the literal millions of watches from the past 7 decades (approx) with their original bracelet still in one piece.

Secondly - It seems to now be forgotten that watch bracelets have always been considered a consumable component. It is subject to mechanical wear throughout it's life.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 09:15 PM   #19
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It's down to individual use, as well as how often (if ever) you clean the bracelet.

It is absolutely not a flawed design warranting recall and free replacement. The proof of that is the literal millions of watches from the past 7 decades (approx) with their original bracelet still in one piece.

Secondly - It seems to now be forgotten that watch bracelets have always been considered a consumable component. It is subject to mechanical wear throughout it's life.
Exactly , although with the introduction of the more modern mix metal Jubilee bracelets in around 2005/6 the Ladies bracelets have worn exceptionally badly leading to many failures of both end pieces and connecting links to the clasp and for a good £2000gbp for a replacement its less of a consumable and more an integral part of the watch itself ..
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 03:24 AM   #20
Phil0213
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Hi,
Could you supply me with knurled pins? I need around 12,1mm length and the knurled Ends need to be 1,2mm?

Thanks in Advance
Phil0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 01:14 AM   #21
Karl888
"TRF" Member

is this the size for jubilee bracelets for older 36mm datejust?
Karl888 is offline   Reply With Quote