The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 16 September 2020, 07:28 PM   #31
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
No way a 36mm watch can look good and masculin on any wrist bigger than 6,5”. Vintage or not.
There was this fictional character called Tony Soprano. Wore a 36...wrist probably closer to 8"...enough said.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #32
Fin3908
Banned Scammer

Watch: GMT, JC, SD4k,Dj
Love my 36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fin3908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #33
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

Love my 36 DJ, light, comfortable to wear. Will post a picture once I hit the allowable limit.

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #34
NobruX
"TRF" Member

I have a 6.7 wrist.

I recently tried a 36 white dial and a 41 rhodium dial.

I'm still unsure. But I think both of them would work out. As many here said before, it's a matter of getting accostumized. No matter where we go, there are giant watches everywhere. We tend then to normalize it. Hence, it could feel strange nowadays wearing a 36 mm watch for the first time.

But I'm inclining towards the 36. It feels very comfortable and slim. Its a very low profile piece. Besides, it's also classic/timeless. I think I would get used to this size very quickly.

NobruX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:10 AM   #35
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobruX View Post
I have a 6.7 wrist.

I'm still unsure. But I think both of them would work out. As many here said before, it's a matter of getting accostumized. No matter where we go, there are giant watches everywhere. We tend then to normalize it. Hence, it could feel strange nowadays wearing a 36 mm watch for the first time.

But I'm inclining towards the 36. It feels very comfortable and slim. Its a very low profile piece. Besides, it's also classic/timeless. I think I would get used to this size very quickly.
I think the white DJ looks great on your wrist! I think it’s a better size for you than the 41. But your gut already knows the right answer...you just need to listen to it.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:19 AM   #36
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Is the datejust 36mm to small ?

Quote:
I have a 6.7 wrist.

How on earth could you possibly go with the DJ41, based on those photos? The 41mm looks huge on you, and you have very slender wrists by the look of it.

Do you wear trousers that are a few inches too wide because others wear larger sizes?

Do you wear larger shoes than you need, because you prefer to know you’re wearing large footwear?

What’s important is what looks good on your wrist. A DJ41 on someone else’s wrist might look like what the DJ36 looks like in your wrist. It’s all relative.

The DJ36 is as big as you’d want on you’re wrist by the looks of it. Looks good.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 02:38 AM   #37
NobruX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I think the white DJ looks great on your wrist! I think it’s a better size for you than the 41. But your gut already knows the right answer...you just need to listen to it.

Thanks for the feedback, Slimpee. I agree, 36 feels very well balanced.

I actually decided to follow an alternate route this time. Picked up the last blue OP 39 they got in stock. Easy to dress formal or casual.

My next move will be towards a more formal setting. Probably the DJ 36 with jubilee and silver dial.

Old 5 October 2020, 04:16 AM   #38
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Slimpee. I agree, 36 feels very well balanced.

I actually decided to follow an alternate route this time. Picked up the last blue OP 39 they got in stock. Easy to dress formal or casual.

My next move will be towards a more formal setting. Probably the DJ 36 with jubilee and silver dial.
Great choice! I think the OP is a versatile watch. It has plenty of water resistance and the sportier oyster bracelet and smooth bezel so you can dress it up or down.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 05:06 AM   #39
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
I think 36mm works well on my 7 inch flat wrist. As others have said it is the classic size and suits the design. There is something about the scaled up DJ41 that just seems a little off to me.
Old 6 October 2020, 01:55 PM   #40
brian_timepieces
"TRF" Member

I already feel like some 40mm watches, depending on the dial and case, are too small for me and my wrist is pretty small. I think I just prefer a big wrist presence though. I think your preference on wrist preference is what it comes down to.

brian_timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 11:16 PM   #41
QueenCityWatch
"TRF" Member

You could definitely pull off a 36mm DJ. I have a few 36mm watches and my wrist is a little over 7"
QueenCityWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 02:52 PM   #42
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

6.5 inch wrist should be absolutely fine. I'm at 7.25 inch or so and it just looks too small (I could justify the size to myself but it would always nag me).

Those who fit a 36 well should count themselves lucky as they have a bigger pool of models to choose from and they are less costly. I was trying to persuade myself on a 36 to be "classic" but just didn't work for my tastes and size.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:45 AM   #43
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

36mm Datejust prefer the look and comfort/weight

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 11:54 PM   #44
braveheart09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
This is probably one of the oldest thread topics here.

It’s normally either;

Is the DJ36 too small?

Or

Is the DJ41 too big?

You will get as many people confirming both, as everyone has different tastes.

I have a 6.75” wrist.

I had a DJ2. Sold it.
I had a DJ41. Sold it.
I now own a DJ36 and it is just right.

36 is the iconic, classic, size.
41 is a modern iteration, but it’s size is on par, if not bigger than some of the sports models, which i personally find weird.

My favourite analogy would be a two-seater sports car being made larger than a 4x4. It’s just a little odd.

It’s a three hand model that’s design is meant to be a little smaller. Not only that but to me, when you hold up a 36 next to a 41, the way the watch, case, and general layout, looks far better on the DJ36.

I have sports models up to 41mm. My Sub C looks perfect on my wrist, however I felt the DJ41 didn’t.

For this style of watch, it’s all about the 36mm and as such will stand the test of time in the future as well.

Despite my advice to go with 36mm, I equally don’t think that larger watches are a fad or a sudden fashion statement. I think sizes have just evolved in to larger pieces in the last decade.

But, I personally think that many people now buy larger watches to show off or make a statement. That’s the horrendous Kardashian-esque world we live in now where everyone wants recognition from an Instagram post.

Aside from any of my suggestions. You have a 6.5” wrist, which is very slender.

Take a look through the comical threads here where others have posted watches that are clearly too big for their wrists.

hand’s down. i cant add more

braveheart09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:13 PM   #45
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
I have a 6.7 wrist.

I have the same DJ36. It gets more wrist time, than my SS Submariner Date. It’s a timeless piece that will be around forever.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:50 PM   #46
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Is the datejust 36mm to small ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
I have the same DJ36. It gets more wrist time, than my SS Submariner Date. It’s a timeless piece that will be around forever.

No offence. That DJ41 goes well beyond the edges of your wrist.

It’s not just the lugs from point to point. There are end links that stick out further.

You’re right. You’ve probably seen a load of watches that are way too big for wrist they are being worn on, hence even contemplating the 41 as it looks there. There are loads of comical examples on the forum.

That 36mm is the correct size.

I’m not talking about trends. I’m talking about what looks conventionally right on your wrist, which looks to be very slender.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:22 AM   #47
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
I agree the 36mm IMHO is the correct size for you. It looks great and fits your well. I now have a smallish wrist after losing around 70lbs. I wear a 36mm RG DD and for me it’s perfect. I don’t care about making any kind of statement, I usually wear a long sleeve shirt and rarely does my watch show. Having said that, I also have a Omega Flightmaster that I wear, but it’s a completely different watch and look. It’s also a work watch that I wear while flying. I don’t think you can go wrong with the 36mm.
JEAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 02:29 PM   #48
Stand To
"TRF" Member

Datejust 36mm . . . . . ( 38.5 ) . . . . . Datejust 41mm
Stand To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 04:06 AM   #49
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
My 36mm DateJust, looks good on my 7 1/2 wrist. The quintessential Rolex.
Same wrist same and looks perfect
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:40 AM   #50
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
No way a 36mm watch can look good and masculin on any wrist bigger than 6,5”. Vintage or not.

Bigger doesn’t always mean masculine

Though I think that’s what all the BROs with lifted trucks and huge rims choose to believe

owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #51
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand To View Post
Datejust 36mm . . . . . ( 38.5 ) . . . . . Datejust 41mm

Proportions are different too

Old 4 December 2020, 08:48 AM   #52
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a 6.7 wrist.

To me these two different watches make 2 very different statements

One says: understated class

The other: look at me, I’ve got a Rolex

Old 4 December 2020, 05:24 PM   #53
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
To me these two different watches make 2 very different statements

One says: understated class

The other: look at me, I’ve got a Rolex

Totally agree. Keep it simple. Less is more.
Old 6 December 2020, 02:43 AM   #54
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I used to be in the camp that the watches that suit my 7 and 1/2 inch wrist are 40 to 44mm. Not anymore. I am quite happy with both my 36mm Tudor and my SD43. Have now all sizes in between. I believe the 36mm looks very elegant and the size suits perfectly all wrist sizes when certain watches are with classic proportions (such as DD and DJ).

Pulled the trigger on vintage DJ - 16014 today and I am very eager for the watch to arrive. It is an interesting Rolex, a true transitional piece between old and modern.
Gimoozaabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:23 PM   #55
strikefreedom
"TRF" Member

It's a great size for a dress watch.
strikefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:30 PM   #56
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin3908 View Post
Love my 36

That looks sharp!!!
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 05:42 PM   #57
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin3908 View Post
Love my 36

A AD in NYC has the exact watch. I almost pulled the trigger last week. However, decided now is not the right time for me to make this purchase. It’s definitely on my wish list though. Beautiful, classic Rolex. I have a 36mm white dial, DateJust I wear on my 7 1/2 wrist.
Old 9 December 2020, 09:08 PM   #58
NobruX
"TRF" Member

6.7 wrist. It was very hard to resist. Saving my money and waiting for the explorer 1 call.

Old 11 December 2020, 05:34 AM   #59
NobruX
"TRF" Member

Black is the new orange. Just picked it up this DJ 36 mm. Couldn't be happier with the size.

Old 12 December 2020, 04:38 PM   #60
rnothog
"TRF" Member

Watch: always looking...
My daily wear watch is a Seiko diver, the 42.6mm 62 MAS. When I tried a 36 mm Datejust, it looked really, really small. My wrist is close to 8 inches. So, to me, depends on one’s size. 41mm seems right for me, might not be for everyone.

The trend, though, now seems to be turning to smaller sizes.

I have a G.I. Hamilton issued to me a very long time ago. It’s a 34mm watch. Seems tiny.
rnothog is offline   Reply With Quote