The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #1
pie72
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv,16610..
Explorer 1 Hands

With regards to the hands on the 39mm explorer, has anybody switched them for say the hands off sub lv, if even possible..? Have always thought that this would look great.

Thoughts..?
pie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:32 AM   #2
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I may be wrong but I thought the actual measurements of the dials are different. So in that case they may not fit?

But the Explorer already has Mercedes style hands so not sure I see the point entirely. Are you talking one of the older “short minute” hand variations?
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #3
coaxial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 116610LN
If you are referring to the 214270 MkI, I have seen some with modified handsets before the release of the 214270 MkII. Imo, the MkII hands are now well proportioned to the watch. However you can request MkII hands at RSC when you send in a MkI for service if you dont like them.
Old 16 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #4
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

I have heard that RSC will swap out MK1 hands for MK2 hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #5
pie72
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv,16610..
I understand about the longer mk11 hands,but like the look of the fatter minute hand on the sub16610lv.
pie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 09:19 PM   #6
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Swapping hands on the MK1 may not be a great idea. When the 1963 Corvette came out many didn't like that split rear window and had it modified. Whoops. Now those cars are bringing a premium. If I'm correct the 214270 with the MK1 dial had a 5 year run. Not a rare watch but there may be fewer and fewer with the original "T-Rex" hands as years go by.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Heady Topper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
Swapping hands on the MK1 may not be a great idea. When the 1963 Corvette came out many didn't like that split rear window and had it modified. Whoops. Now those cars are bringing a premium. If I'm correct the 214270 with the MK1 dial had a 5 year run. Not a rare watch but there may be fewer and fewer with the original "T-Rex" hands as years go by.
If the current mkII version is replaced, as is being speculated, in a few months, that would make it a similar production run and, IMO, a much better executed design

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 11:02 PM   #8
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady Topper View Post
If the current mkII version is replaced, as is being speculated, in a few months, that would make it a similar production run and, IMO, a much better executed design

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Not only that, but with COVID having affected production and supply so much for most of this year there may have actually been less MK2 made than MK1.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 11:14 PM   #9
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
It’s definitely a future classic.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 05:02 AM   #10
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

There is nothing rare about these watches for future collection. They are a modern Rolex. 60’s Rolex were made in much smaller numbers and sorry to say but modern ones will not achieve the same scarcity when they are vintage. If the OP prefers better proportioned hands then he will probably not loose anything by changing them at service. He might even make the watch more desirable to someone who wants to actually wear the watch rather than be fooled by Rolex investment mythology.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:47 AM   #11
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
There is nothing rare about these watches for future collection. They are a modern Rolex. 60’s Rolex were made in much smaller numbers and sorry to say but modern ones will not achieve the same scarcity when they are vintage. If the OP prefers better proportioned hands then he will probably not loose anything by changing them at service. He might even make the watch more desirable to someone who wants to actually wear the watch rather than be fooled by Rolex investment mythology.
Detractors said that about the GMT Master II Pepsi when it was discontinued in 2018, and the “boring” SS Daytona for decades. Of course no one has a crystal ball but if history teaches us anything in horology it’s that the unpopular ugly ducking of Rolex often is quite collectible when they are long out of production.

btw, Frankenwatches are never considered more valuable by Rolex collectors. It’s actually quite the opposite.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 07:37 AM   #12
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Detractors said that about the GMT Master II Pepsi when it was discontinued in 2018, and the “boring” SS Daytona for decades. Of course no one has a crystal ball but if history teaches us anything in horology it’s that the unpopular ugly ducking of Rolex often is quite collectible when they are long out of production.
It may feel like the GMT Master II Pepsi was discontinued in 2018 but I can assure you they are a current model

There is a difference between the current hype and future collectability of models. There will be hundreds of thousands of the popular modern models made vs 10 of thousands of the models made in the 60’s. One thing to consider is why 1960’s Omegas which are great watches are not worth anything like as much as 1960’s Rolex. It is because their production numbers were huge compared to Rolex. In the context of this thread the small vs larger hands being correct for the year will likely make no significant difference to the future value of the six digit Explorers. And if Rolex themselves upgrade the hands during a service then the watch is not really a Franken, it’s just not original specification. And maybe the owner does not care, shock horror! He may actually plan to wear the watch and maybe even get scratches on it...
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 08:51 PM   #13
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s definitely a future classic.
I’m not sure the MK1 will be more collectible than the MK2. My rational behind this i believe is the MK1 was produced / available new from 2010 - 2015/16 a 5/6 year production run. The MK2 seems to have come through in relatively low numbers in 2015 as I presume AD’s / Rolex wanted to clear remaining MK1 stock and although I am a massive fan of explorers, the 39mm size was a bit controversial and I don’t think sales have been incredible since it came out - it wasn’t really an in demand / hot watch.

So, the MK2 has had a similar production run time 2015/16 - 2020 or when you look at it possibly a year’s less production than the MK1. Then factor in Covid where during 2020 production and supply has been greatly reduced and there are very few Explorer’s coming into the AD’s. This makes me wonder, if the Explorer in it’s current size does get discontinued early next year, what have Rolex produced the most of - MK1 or MK2?

Please note guys, I am not a MK1 hater, the MK2 and MK1 are both great watches, just ever so slightly different. I had the chance to buy a MK1 from my local AD serviced and for £1000 less than current MK2 price, I would have bought it but just didn’t have the spare funds at the time. This year, bizarrely I had the money after having received a nice pay off after being made redundant after 20 years by my employer and I was then fortunate enough to walk straight into a similar paid job. Coupled with me turning 50 I thought it’s now or never. So, I made contact with several AD’s and was fortunate enough to be contacted after just a few weeks where someone who had their name down with them for some time, came in to collect and decided they no longer wanted it! I was offered it on the Friday evening and was there for when they opened on Saturday morning, imagine my surprise as well when I saw it had the new style 2020 Warranty Card with it.

I’m not bothered if my MK2 becomes more valuable than a MK1 as it is not a Safe Queen, I wear it 24/7 and the only time I get rid of this watch is when one day,it will be passed on to my Son because I won’t be around to wear it. But it does make me wonder, if less MK2’s were produced than the MK1 and if they discontinue the MK2 next year, perhaps a MK2 with a new style 2020 Warranty Card would be quite desirable as well?

Stay safe guys!
Old 13 December 2020, 09:46 PM   #14
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie72 View Post
With regards to the hands on the 39mm explorer, has anybody switched them for say the hands off sub lv, if even possible..? Have always thought that this would look great.

Thoughts..?
By the way OP, if you wanted to put the MK2 hands on you might get lucky if your AD had a Rolex parts account and watchmaker and were prepared to do it, but to try and end a debate on the matter recently, I contacted Rolex London RSC this week asking if I had a 2012 MK1 and sent it in for service could I have the hands changed to MK2 but they said no, but I could have a MK2 Dial and hands put on. Costs are as follows:

Service - £550
Dial & Hand Exchange to convert to MK2 - £450

Total cost £1000. Then, I also asked if I could keep the original dial and hands once they had replaced them to which they replied by all means yes but that would add 50% to the cost of the dial and hand exchange so another £225. So if I had a MK1 Explorer 214270 which I had owned from new and would have purchased for significantly less than the current price now and when it was due for service and I preferred the MK2 look but had the opportunity to keep the Original MK1 Dial and Hands should the watch be more desirable and valuable with them on in the future would I do it, yes I definitely would.
Old 14 December 2020, 09:51 AM   #15
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

btw, Frankenwatches are never considered more valuable by Rolex collectors. It’s actually quite the opposite.

This dude is right. Franken is always a very bad move. And 214270 mk1 is alway climbing. Hold on. 15 years not gonna be able to afford it. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote