The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2019, 09:49 AM   #31
PorscheNRolex
2024 Pledge Member

YES!!!

Had Hulk, black sub, Batman, daytoma ceramic

Now.. FG CHNR and black sub
PorscheNRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 09:54 AM   #32
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
A large collection is not for me, but too few also left me looking. I’m content with the number I have, and it’s one in one out at this point.

1. Sentimental
2. Activity-specific (dive watch)

The remaining five are worn regularly.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:09 AM   #33
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I dropped from 21 to 3 and found it much easier to live with my collection.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:15 AM   #34
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
In the last two weeks.....significantly cut down and feeling like relief.

Just getting TIRED OF....

-thinking what I “should have” vs what I actually “want, and am most comfortable wearing” for my lifestyle.
-following the crowd
-FOMO
-Deciding what goes with what (I know..personal issue most don’t worry about)
-worrying about expensive pieces getting banged around (another personal issue, many don’t worry about)

And so on....

Before TRF ...not that I blame this great forum, I absolutely love it!....I had a 16610 for my daily wearer for 12 years, and never worried about a thing.

My goal a few years ago was to try absolutely everything I was remotely interested in....mostly Rolex, but some other brands as well.
I’ve pretty much accomplished that, and find myself wanting to get back to where I was, (as far as thinking about watches), in 1997...proud as hell of my only Rolex.

Not that I’ll be a one watch guy again...but simplicity, a no brainer/goes with everything, anytime, any metal, couple of watches, is on the horizon.
May become a 3 watch max guy sooner than later. Like I said I’ve been busy in the last two weeks, headed this direction.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:15 AM   #35
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I dropped from 21 to 3 and found it much easier to live with my collection.
Where I’m headed!
Old 6 December 2019, 10:19 AM   #36
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Where I’m headed!
I know you've been playing with the idea for a while; good luck with the trimming!!!

Old 6 December 2019, 10:21 AM   #37
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I know you've been playing with the idea for a while; good luck with the trimming!!!

Thanks Lee. I think most will be very surprised where I end up :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 December 2019, 10:27 AM   #38
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
This is a bad addiction. I NEED to get rid of at least half of my collection and what do I find myself doing last night, trying to make a deal on a 1675 GMT Master which I would love to have but definitely don't need.

It's just hard enough to keep up with all the service. I going to pull the plug soon and get down to 4 -5 watches and be happy with that. It's going to be hard but I have to do it for my sanity's sake.

I know, I know first world problems.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:31 AM   #39
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I think collectors have times when they think about downsizing but when it comes down to it, it is hard to choose what to let go. I hear people say that cannot imagine using all the pieces of a large collection. I have 19 Rolex watches and I wear them all with the exception of my 1680 sub that I bought at age 15 and my mint F series 16610 LV. All the others are used frequently. It is easy to do if you love changing them. In the long run I would consider decreasing my collection but man, when I look at what I own, I have a hard time choosing which I would let go.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:34 AM   #40
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Uh oh. I have about 14 good watches and tons of casual watches. It’s fun to rediscover watches that I’ve ignored. When I get new casual watches, I gift other ones to male relatives.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:40 AM   #41
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Yep...Down to 2 watches and its a perfect amount

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:40 AM   #42
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I'm done buying watches. I just bought my last Rolex a 114300 Black OP. I now have 4 Rolex, 1 Tudor & a dozen other watches. I can finally say I'm happy & content with what I have.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:43 AM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddodoc View Post
I think collectors have times when they think about downsizing but when it comes down to it, it is hard to choose what to let go. I hear people say that cannot imagine using all the pieces of a large collection. I have 19 Rolex watches and I wear them all with the exception of my 1680 sub that I bought at age 15 and my mint F series 16610 LV. All the others are used frequently. It is easy to do if you love changing them. In the long run I would consider decreasing my collection but man, when I look at what I own, I have a hard time choosing which I would let go.
With my collection I had to keep a spread sheet to remind me what "needed" to be worn. Way to much work!!!

Old 6 December 2019, 11:29 AM   #44
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
4 - 6 is the sweet spot for me. Working towards a DD40, Daytona, Patek Travel Time and i think im done...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:37 PM   #45
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Absolutely, I think less is more in a collection. Didn’t used to feel like that, but having a few grail watches is better than a big collection in my eyes.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:58 PM   #46
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Cut my watch collection to stay married. You know the saying.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:10 PM   #47
HKS724
Banned

I think it depends on where you are in life, not necessarily speaking of age, although there is high correlation. If you are at a place where you can truly sit down and own & enjoy what speaks to you, you will be able to downsize and be happy. But if you are at a stage where you are still looking to stay "in the thick of it" you will never be satisfied and perpetually on the hunt!

I own 10-12 watches (Rolex, Speedy, Dress) but find myself wearing my Tank Basculante almost daily these days because it's truly what I love in a watch: mechanical prowess (the FP caliber 6.10 is only 2.1mm thin), exudes elegance while being understated, interesting (the flipping mechanism is awesome and the story behind it makes the watch that much more interesting), and a mesmerizing guilloche'd dial. Throw in the omnipresent "secret" Cartier sign, and I am hooked! I realize I have loved dress watches ever since I was a kid. The other categories of watch were just distractions for me. I think we, for lack of a better word, relegate back to what initially drew us into watches in the first place.

Perhaps not the target audience/forum but my 0.02!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HKS724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:31 PM   #48
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Absolutely, I have only my Ceramic Sub after owning a collection of Rolexes and Breitlings. I wear it all the time and don't need a watch winder or a rotation schedule.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:32 PM   #49
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
I use to have a good collection of Rolex for the past years all stopped when I get a PP Aquanaut on the rubber band 20 years ago. The aqua has it all legibility, comfort, fit and finish of the best watch manufacture out there. Its family owned with a history that can't be matched.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:37 PM   #50
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
From 15pcs to 3. It's kinda liberating as you're not pressured to wear them all.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 09:35 PM   #51
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Not yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:06 PM   #52
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have gone up and down in my collection for years and have stopped worrying about ownership and having too many watches. I wear what I want, when I want and for as long or short of a time as I want. If I want a new watch, I figure it out with a trade, cash or both and enjoy what I have. I, at one point, overthought this hobby. I worried about wrist time, values, diversity in a collection,etc. Not now thought. I am loaded down with divers, Tudors, Seiko's, Panerai's and my all time favorite, Rolex. The only time I move a watch is when it no longer does it for me. I am rambling but I would say have fun, enjoy what you have and there will always be something else on the horizon.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 10:12 PM   #53
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
In the last two weeks.....significantly cut down and feeling like relief.

Just getting TIRED OF....

-thinking what I “should have” vs what I actually “want, and am most comfortable wearing” for my lifestyle.
-following the crowd
-FOMO
-Deciding what goes with what (I know..personal issue most don’t worry about)
-worrying about expensive pieces getting banged around (another personal issue, many don’t worry about)

And so on....

Before TRF ...not that I blame this great forum, I absolutely love it!....I had a 16610 for my daily wearer for 12 years, and never worried about a thing.

My goal a few years ago was to try absolutely everything I was remotely interested in....mostly Rolex, but some other brands as well.
I’ve pretty much accomplished that, and find myself wanting to get back to where I was, (as far as thinking about watches), in 1997...proud as hell of my only Rolex.

Not that I’ll be a one watch guy again...but simplicity, a no brainer/goes with everything, anytime, any metal, couple of watches, is on the horizon.
May become a 3 watch max guy sooner than later. Like I said I’ve been busy in the last two weeks, headed this direction.

I can not agree more. I have trimmed all the super hyped up models and kept the basic ones I enjoy. My next purchase is a Timex Snoopy for like $250
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:09 PM   #54
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I have never had a big collection, maybe a half dozen at the most at one time. I have always just had 1 Rolex till recently to keep it from getting out of hand. I have defaulted into 2 Rolexs now (one PM and one Stainless) and am very happy with that. I can keep them both running with swapping off during the day so no re setting or winders needed.

What I didnt have was a beater so I just added a third watch. A Titanium Casio Oceanus which is a Solar Quartz. This way it will always be set and I can grab it when I am doing dirty work or it might take a licking. So for me life is pretty good right now with no more watches planned any time soon.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:15 PM   #55
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS724 View Post
I think it depends on where you are in life, not necessarily speaking of age, although there is high correlation. If you are at a place where you can truly sit down and own & enjoy what speaks to you, you will be able to downsize and be happy. But if you are at a stage where you are still looking to stay "in the thick of it" you will never be satisfied and perpetually on the hunt!

I own 10-12 watches (Rolex, Speedy, Dress) but find myself wearing my Tank Basculante almost daily these days because it's truly what I love in a watch: mechanical prowess (the FP caliber 6.10 is only 2.1mm thin), exudes elegance while being understated, interesting (the flipping mechanism is awesome and the story behind it makes the watch that much more interesting), and a mesmerizing guilloche'd dial. Throw in the omnipresent "secret" Cartier sign, and I am hooked! I realize I have loved dress watches ever since I was a kid. The other categories of watch were just distractions for me. I think we, for lack of a better word, relegate back to what initially drew us into watches in the first place.

Perhaps not the target audience/forum but my 0.02!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t argue with that Cartier... it is perfect. Thank you for the shots.
CountryRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:18 PM   #56
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Really interesting responses here everyone.

I don’t think of myself as a collector or having a collection really ... I’ve got four watches that I really enjoy. My mind says one or two should be enough but my heart is always looking for another.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:28 PM   #57
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes, had about 8 in regular rotation and that meant that I was wearing my favorite pieces only a couple weeks every year. I have 2 now in regular rotation, speedy and sub. I have a seiko arnie and hamilton on the bench and fit them in as well.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 11:29 PM   #58
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Could I get rid of all of my watches tomorrow if I needed to... sure. I'd buy them all back again though. I also don't buy to buy - I buy pieces that fill a space a void in my collection. I don't believe in redundancy so it helps. I also have a rule that if it doesn't get wrist time it goes.
Old 7 December 2019, 12:52 AM   #59
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Absolutely. I went from 5 pieces to 1. I think it depends on the versatility of "the one" or "two", if they can go with any outfit it's not that hard to do. Like someone said above though, it is an evolution. I had to scratch the itch several times to figure out what I ACTUALLY like wearing...and I'm lucky I had the means to explore these pieces for myself otherwise I'm sure I'd still be curious to this day.

I personally don't have a collector's mentality (that goes for my guitars, and bikes too - if I don't play/ride them, I sell them). At the end of the day, these are just objects and happiness comes from staying healthy and building/maintaining personal relationships.

I like the simplicity of owning less stuff that would just be sitting around 90% of the time anyways, it has freed up some mental energy and time.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 01:56 AM   #60
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
No.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote