The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2019, 01:54 AM   #61
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
You are one of the persons that would’ve benefited from paying a premium in the grey market instead of trying to build a relationship

That relationship thing works too, but it depends how deep your pockets are, and what your interests are

For example, if your significant other loved jewelry, and diamonds, it might be convenient to buy some from the AD then try to get a watch

But buying random things you don’t want or need is NOT the way to go about it
i honestly believe this is a racket too. for example, the local AD at Ben Bridge's jewelry is probably 2-3x what it should cost and what you can expect to pay at a regular jeweler. Not quite sure this is the right option too. I say just go grey what can you do, the watches are hot and are worth what people are willing to pay these days
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 01:55 AM   #62
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Is it possible to sue these people for breach of contract? It's a long shot, I know. But I'm thinking if they're served court papers it may scare the living crap out of them enough so they'll capitulate and cough up the SS for you if you'll agree to drop the case.

Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:02 AM   #63
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Even if the AD comes through tomorrow they've fleeced you for the bundled dress watches. People can get mad or frustrated or impatient and pay grey market premiums but that's not really a solution to the problem at the AD. It s just a different way of giving up.

There are a dozen other companies making great watches in the same price range.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:04 AM   #64
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
These AD's are always trying to take people for all they can get. It truly sucks and Im annoyed, but you got taken real bad.
Lesson learnt
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:18 AM   #65
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The solution is easy; walk away. There are many other more important things in life to focus your energy (and money) on.

You know the SS sports are all the rage these days, so it is going to be very difficult to get your hand on one. Why jump in the fray now? All you would ever get is getting yourself all worked up.

When you are desperate for a particular watch, you put yourself at the mercy of the AD. Never give others the power over you.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:19 AM   #66
JimThomas
Banned

Again, I didn't buy anything else other than the DJ. It is his approach now of offering not particularly rare watches as part of a bundle that surprised me. On reflection I should have bought 2-3 old DJ and Sub/GMT/Ex....but I didn't.

I still have my Blue Seamaster for daytime, good health, big house no mortgage and a couple of nice motors in the garage. Life could be much worse. As someone said earlier; a first world problem.
JimThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:45 AM   #67
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjb View Post
Step by Step process:

1. Buy another, bundle it at the same time with a SS.

2. Sell the PM watches to grey market at a loss.

3. Be into the SS for what you would have if you went grey to begin with.

4. Walk back to AD, tell him to go pound sand.

5. Have a beer, enjoy your SS.

I did something similar with my AD. Two years ago they wouldn't sell me a BLNR, wouldn't even put me on the list. Fine, actually I think I prefer the pre-ceramic cases any way. So I bought a 16710 GMT. I go to this AD frequently for fun, to browse, and to gawk at the empty display cases. So I go back and show the SA the beautiful GMT on my wrist... After another visit I e-mail the SA to thank them for their time that day and send them a picture of the beautiful Speedy that I bought down the street from the Omega AD that actually had stock. Next time I am in to visit I am wearing a brand new Bvlgari Octo. Next time I'm in I am wearing a brand new Montblanc Geosphere. Next time I'm in I'm wearing a gorgeous Sea Dweller. Plus I discuss the watches I am getting serviced (including Rolex) down the street.

I am not trying to rub their noses in anything (well, except for with that Speedy), but I am trying to establish with them that I am a true watch nerd, I have money, and I am definitely spending it on watches and service elsewhere. So when I went back two months ago and finally actually asked them to get me a watch (Explorer, not as hot, not so hard to get) I actually got it pretty quick...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:46 AM   #68
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjb View Post
Step by Step process:

1. Buy another, bundle it at the same time with a SS.

2. Sell the PM watches to grey market at a loss.

3. Be into the SS for what you would have if you went grey to begin with.

4. Walk back to AD, tell him to go pound sand.

5. Have a beer, enjoy your SS.

I did something similar with my AD. Two years ago they wouldn't sell me a BLNR, wouldn't even put me on the list. Fine, actually I think I prefer the pre-ceramic cases any way. So I bought a 16710 GMT. I go to this AD frequently for fun, to browse, and to gawk at the empty display cases. So I go back and show the SA the beautiful GMT on my wrist... After another visit I e-mail the SA to thank them for their time that day and send them a picture of the beautiful Speedy that I bought down the street from the Omega AD that actually had stock. Next time I am in to visit I am wearing a brand new Bvlgari Octo. Next time I'm in I am wearing a brand new Montblanc Geosphere. Next time I'm in I'm wearing a gorgeous Sea Dweller. Plus I discuss the watches I am getting serviced (including Rolex) down the street.

I am not trying to rub their noses in anything (well, except for with that Speedy), but I am trying to establish with them that I am a true watch nerd, I have money, and I am definitely spending it on watches and service elsewhere. So when I went back two months ago and finally actually asked them to get me a watch (Explorer, not as hot, not so hard to get) I actually got it pretty quick...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:12 AM   #69
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
i honestly believe this is a racket too. for example, the local AD at Ben Bridge's jewelry is probably 2-3x what it should cost and what you can expect to pay at a regular jeweler. Not quite sure this is the right option too. I say just go grey what can you do, the watches are hot and are worth what people are willing to pay these days

You’ve got a very good point.

Specially bringing up Ben Bridge. I had a bad experience with them recently.

Bought a curb link bracelet and had to return it because it had 3 links that were crooked

When I went back, the jeweler told me that is how it is made because of the malleability of silver.

I just got my money back. It was a $230 bracelet I think?

I bought another one, for half the price, and the links weren’t crooked.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:29 AM   #70
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm afraid at this point you find yourself another AD. In addition you need to be more specific in your request for your SS piece. They were happy to sell you the dress watch but I don't think they will sell you any SS piece with the blanket statement you gave them. I find that researching what you really want and specifically requesting that piece will net you better results.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:36 AM   #71
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
You should never have purchased that dress watch without receiving the SS watch you wanted at the same time. You fell for this trick. Learn from it and don't make the same mistake again.

Furthermore, anyone who says he just wants an SS watch and is not too fussed about the flavor might as well proclaim that he is much more interested in flipping the watch for a profit than he is in owning the watch. Dealers would rather sell to people who's intention it is to keep and enjoy it.
While reading this post, two points jumped out at me. I scrolled down to find both points covered, and covered more thoroughly than I would have bothered. OP, and all other sympathizers, selling watches is a business. Dealers sell with their heads, not their hearts. If you want to not be taken advantage of, buy with your head, not your heart.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 04:17 AM   #72
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i have been lucky that I've never had to buy anything I didn't want and all my Rolexes so far are SS
brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 04:26 AM   #73
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
can’t understand it. Salesmen are normally the most trustworthy.
lol

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 04:53 AM   #74
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I would stop in and speak to him directly and tell him what he promised and ask him to honor it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I think that would be your best shot.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:15 AM   #75
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
You just need to find a better AD. My AD been keeping her promises so far. Good luck OP!
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 06:09 AM   #76
EmilA
"TRF" Member

Sounds like they are just egging you on here to me. I’ve started using an AD this year and in 5 months, I have brought 2 watches & jewellery and they are still quoting me long time for an SS watch.
Made it clear no more watches until I get the one I want next
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 06:48 AM   #77
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Classic scenario of bait and switch. Never buy anything when they promise a steel will come in "a few months". Either you take the PM with the SS or you don't take anything and you tell them to come back when they do have both in stock.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:07 AM   #78
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Maybe where you live, but certainly not true around these parts (when it comes to desirable SS models)
Rolex are on ADs backs to ensure watches go to end users who aren’t flippers. As a result an AD who trusts that you’ll keep the watch is more likely to supply the watch to you. Yes they want the bundle sales, but they want to know you won’t walk out and flip the watch
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. What matters is making the most money they can per customer, which is where all the bundling comes into play.

Rolex doesn't care who has their watches lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:43 AM   #79
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
Find a new AD I think. Sounds like a cowboy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:20 AM   #80
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Don't play his game. Take your business elsewhere. Make sure he knows you're no longer a customer. After spending 30k he's a fool if he doesn't try to make it right. His loss, not yours.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:54 AM   #81
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
Well there's an AD in London that told me I should spend £2.5k on jewellery before he'll sell me a black sub.
Yeah but if you'd done that deal you'd be able to say "never paid a penny over MSRP" on here. And that would be..... err.... great.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:59 AM   #82
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThomas View Post
Having recently bought a Rolex dress watch, AD promised a SS (not too fussed about the flavour) within a 'few months', whatever that means. Had several phone calls from same AD over past few days excited to offer me either solid gold or bi-metal professional....provided I buy yet another 'selected' gold watch from stock to go along with it. Following his logic I am into the AD for just under £30k for three watches and still don't have a what I would call a day watch made from Stainless Steel.

I've heard of buying something off the shelf in order to secure a SS piece but this is taking the piss.

Time to find a different AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:16 AM   #83
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
Don't play his game. Take your business elsewhere. Make sure he knows you're no longer a customer. After spending 30k he's a fool if he doesn't try to make it right. His loss, not yours.
Actually, it seems to be the Ops loss actually here.

djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:30 AM   #84
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
It's a travesty and a mockery of a sham of a of a travesty.
Old 7 December 2019, 11:22 AM   #85
220e
"TRF" Member

With all the UK AD’s that I have visited in the last year or so, it’s been quite obvious to me that you have to be, or at least appear to be, genuine. Goldsmiths are an exception, I wouldn’t give them the time of day because of their stereotypical attitude, they quite openly told me that I would have to spend money with them to be considered for the piece I was after.
I recently visited an AD & after quite a long time chatting with the SA, he brought a piece out of the safe and offered it to me, I didn’t even ask him for a piece but he saw that I was genuine, the watch wasn’t for me but I feel that if he had what I wanted, I could have got it.
Earlier this year I struck up a relationship via email & WhatsApp with a SA at an AD in the Caribbean, by the time I went on holiday 3 months later, my longed for piece had been paid for and was waiting for me.
About 6 months ago I struck up a relationship with a local AD SA and was put on the list for a piece that I wanted, I got the call last week to say it was incoming & that I would have it before Christmas. I’m also hoping to have another piece from them in the non too distant future.
Both my pieces are not the very very hard to get ones, but a Sub and a Sub Date, but still very hard to get in the UK.
So for me, spending some time talking to SA’s, and by being specific about what you want, has worked for me, you have to get the SA on your side. There are some AD’s I wouldn’t wast my time & energy with, any mention of having to spend on other items & someone else gets my cash.
I buy my watches to wear & enjoy, only buy what YOU like, don’t be influenced by others, I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about what I buy or wear.
220e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:29 AM   #86
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
ADs are here to do business and their jobs are maximizing profits. It's not the best practice nor the best service

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:50 AM   #87
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
How are AD's finding buyers willing to put up with this? It's grey market for me if I want the watch that bad in the case you describe.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:19 PM   #88
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. What matters is making the most money they can per customer, which is where all the bundling comes into play.

Rolex doesn't care who has their watches lol.

Maybe just depends on geography. Around these parts they want to know you won’t flip and select their customers for pieces. If they have a sniff that you’re a flipper you won’t get the piece. Again maybe different where you are as you’re thousands of miles from me
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:26 PM   #89
Andad

Watch: A few.
Hi Jim,

I think you answered your own question in your thread header.

It’s disappointing that sourcing SS Rolex watches has become so impossible for the average punter.

Time will tell if this situation will change but I have my doubts for even the far future.

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 06:46 PM   #90
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThomas View Post
Having recently bought a Rolex dress watch, AD promised a SS (not too fussed about the flavour) within a 'few months', whatever that means. Had several phone calls from same AD over past few days excited to offer me either solid gold or bi-metal professional....provided I buy yet another 'selected' gold watch from stock to go along with it. Following his logic I am into the AD for just under £30k for three watches and still don't have a what I would call a day watch made from Stainless Steel.

I've heard of buying something off the shelf in order to secure a SS piece but this is taking the piss.
don't bother play with them lol
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote