The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2020, 12:39 AM   #1
flal
"TRF" Member

Newbie to AP - Pricing advice

I’ve gotten tired of playing the waiting game for a Rolex, and can’t stomach paying the markup on the secondary market. I’ve had my eyes on a stainless royal oak for years now and I’m thinking of adding one to the collection.

I’m not very familiar with pricing though. Last time I tried one on was years ago when they were sold at Saks. A quick search of the forms showed that as of 2012 fairly sizable discounts were available. Any idea on whether this is still the case, or have they gone the way of Rolex with limited supply, no discounts, and customers having to try to gain favor with the AD?

Thanks!
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:49 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
If you’re looking for a 15500 - it’ll likely come with a little wait from just about any AD - and definitely no discount - and the black dial may be the only real option.

They’re pulling a bit of a premium (not really significant) in the grey and secondary markets - but are definitely available.

Talked to my AD the other day and they’re expecting more inventory this year....but we’ll see....

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #3
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Limited supply, no discounts and waiting months/years is the reality for stainless steel AP as well. I, like you, started looking at AP as a way to get away from the hype/wait of Rolex. You’ll find it’s no different at AP, with arguably worse customer service. If you are willing to spend 50k on less desirable pieces before mentioning you would like to try on a SS RO then maybe you will have some luck! Buckle up
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:52 AM   #4
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
If you’re looking for a 15500 - it’ll likely come with a little wait from just about any AD - and definitely no discount - and the black dial may be the only real option.

They’re pulling a bit of a premium (not really significant) in the grey and secondary markets - but are definitely available.

Talked to my AD the other day and they’re expecting more inventory this year....but we’ll see....

Good luck!!!

That’s really helpful - thanks! It’s nice to be able to get your hands on inventory finally. Wish I had bought back when they were like 15K!
Old 27 January 2020, 12:57 AM   #5
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
Limited supply, no discounts and waiting months/years is the reality for stainless steel AP as well. I, like you, started looking at AP as a way to get away from the hype/wait of Rolex. You’ll find it’s no different at AP, with arguably worse customer service. If you are willing to spend 50k on less desirable pieces before mentioning you would like to try on a SS RO then maybe you will have some luck! Buckle up
Ah, well, I guess it’s worth a shot. This is absolutely crazy how you can’t give your money away these days. Wondering if things will normalize or if this is the new normal.

I was also thinking of a JLC Reverso, but wanted something a little more versatile that I can wear with shorts and a tshirt. Tempted to say screw it, and just get myself a nice Reverso that’s 6,000 before discounts which seem to be widely available.

It’s a crazy hobby we have huh?
Old 27 January 2020, 12:58 AM   #6
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Newbie to AP - Pricing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flal View Post
That’s really helpful - thanks! It’s nice to be able to get your hands on inventory finally. Wish I had bought back when they were like 15K!

Absolutely!! Back then would have been the end of the 15300 era and into the 15400 heyday. Crazy times in the watch world for sure.

Don’t get discouraged - they can be had. AP - to me is in a great position in terms of - to a degree - steering clear of the hype. Now if you were after a 15202 I’d say forget it. But there ARE ADs out there that can (and will) help.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #7
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely!! Back then would have been the end of the 15300 era and into the 15400 heyday. Crazy times in the watch world for sure.

Don’t get discouraged - they can be had. AP - to me is in a great position in terms of - to a degree - steering clear of the hype. Now if you were after a 15202 I’d say forget it. But there ARE ADs out there that can (and will) help.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Thank you!! Will do! What do you have if you don’t mind me asking? Have you been happy with it? No crazy service issues? Love the history behind the brand and exciting to possibly have one of the big three in my collection.

I never sell my watches, but it’s a nice feeling to know you just didn’t lose 40 percent of your watches value when you walk out the store. Do the APs hold their value well? My research shows no, but it looks like this was the case earlier before shortages and waiting lists. Can’t find a lot of 15500s with trusted sellers.
Old 27 January 2020, 01:39 AM   #8
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Sorry I don’t mean to sound so negative, it just feels great to vent on these threads. Honestly I’ve spoken to a few nice SA’s over the phone but the reality is that, much like Rolex, those phone calls don’t go very far. There is a lot of great advise out there from members of this forum. The main tip seems to be go to a boutique in person. I’m going to visit a few soon, I suggest you do the same! Good luck!
Old 27 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:50 AM   #10
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Lol
Double lol.

To the OP, sorry, AP, Rolex, PP, RM, etc etc etc, S.S.D.D. but welcome to the AP portion of the forum.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 07:51 AM   #11
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

For AP I suggest talking to the boutiques when you're traveling aboard. I have had amazing experience with many boutiques outside of US and all my pieces came from them
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
For AP I suggest talking to the boutiques when you're traveling aboard. I have had amazing experience with many boutiques outside of US and all my pieces came from them
Any luck in Paris?
Old 27 January 2020, 10:59 AM   #13
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Any luck in Paris?
I wasn't able to establish a connection with the sales rep I talked to. Maybe it's me
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 11:04 AM   #14
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Double lol.

To the OP, sorry, AP, Rolex, PP, RM, etc etc etc, S.S.D.D. but welcome to the AP portion of the forum.
Ha, thanks! I’ll see what I can come up with. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a 15500 before a couple upcoming life events later this year. With the Rolex it looks like it will be pretty much impossible to get one in time/ever. Soooo glad I scooped up a couple Rolex pieces I wanted at retail before the supply shenanigans started a few years back.
Old 28 January 2020, 12:13 AM   #15
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Can you share where outside the US? I’ve drawn a blank thus far in many countries. Heading to the US next month and was hoping for better prospects :)
sgwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 12:26 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

It would be a shame if some boutiques are more accessible than others.

Naturally some boutiques have greater allocations of certain pieces, based on their own sales performances and their local markets, but to consider that some boutiques are essentially better/easier to source product from would be worrying.

I really believe that AP is trying to offer a consistent and uniform boutique experience no matter where they are based. Of course there is always the human element, the sales person might not love the customer or vice versa, but other than that it should really be about the fundamentals of building a relationship with the boutique rather than shopping around for a better boutique. Just my 2 cents, nothing more.

p.s.

Independent AD's are somewhat different, in that they have far more autonomy and don't necessarily play to the same rules as AP's own boutiques.

p.p.s.

My comment above also assumes that currency and thus essentially price isn't the influencing factor, rather than simply supply.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 04:43 AM   #17
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flal View Post
Ha, thanks! I’ll see what I can come up with. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a 15500 before a couple upcoming life events later this year. With the Rolex it looks like it will be pretty much impossible to get one in time/ever. Soooo glad I scooped up a couple Rolex pieces I wanted at retail before the supply shenanigans started a few years back.
Get on the waiting lists, list price is a good deal these days.
Old 28 January 2020, 06:46 AM   #18
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any luck in Paris?
I went to the Paris AP boutique only last November but I was informed that they will not take orders from US residents since there are several boutiques in the US to cater to such clients. And I am already on record an AP customer and fan, and to attest to this, was wearing my black 15500 when I visited. Not sure if others have a similar experience ... or a different one in other non-US boutiques recently. Good luck.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #19
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck!!!

This is correct. AP is offsetting PM ROs for increased production on the steel models. PM availability is going to be tighter moving forward.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:29 AM   #20
calh22a
Banned

Was in Vegas boutique recently and they were bone dry. They said they didn’t even know their allocations yet for the year. Not sure if the SA was just BSing me, but I wasn’t asking for anything in particular.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote