The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2022, 04:38 AM   #1
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

I think I am bored of my Breitlings

I have 6 watches, all Breitlings. I'm thinking of consolidating down to just one higher end piece. What do you all recommend to maximize returns while minimizing hassle, as far as trades, sales, etc.?

Thanks,
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:12 AM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Slow down. I would not do anything at first and sit on the feeling. You can always unload and pare down. The time will help you sort through this.

I had many watches years ago, and decided to just keep the watches with meaning for me. What I mean is that the one was a gift from my decreased mother and I have worn more days than not over 25 years (16610), the other the seiko H558, which started it all for me when seeing it on Arnold back in the day, and the other a hamilton gifted to me by my wife. The others were just objects and moved them on. But I did this slowly and not all at once.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:19 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
I have 6 watches, all Breitlings. I'm thinking of consolidating down to just one higher end piece. What do you all recommend to maximize returns while minimizing hassle, as far as trades, sales, etc.?

Thanks,
Just some thoughts.

You have not listed the watches, why did you buy them?

Breitling is not a very in demand brand so you will likely have to sacrifice/sell them.

What are you looking to buy, what is the budget?

Breitling is doing trade-ins, you could try that first

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/store/trade-in/

Have you checked the prices online for the ones you want to sell?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 11:20 AM   #4
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Figure around 50% of retail to sell these Breitlings in today's market. I found Breitling's trade program even worse.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:11 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Figure around 50% of retail to sell these Breitlings in today's market. I found Breitling's trade program even worse.
I was offered more for my Breitling than I paid
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 13 August 2022, 12:28 AM   #6
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I was offered more for my Breitling than I paid
That really surprises me, Brian. Every time I went to Breitlings online trade in value calculator, the result was an insult. Perhaps things have changed and trading unwanted watches in with Breitling is something to consider. Thank you for the "heads-up."
Old 13 August 2022, 12:32 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That really surprises me, Brian. Every time I went to Breitlings online trade in value calculator, the result was an insult. Perhaps things have changed and trading unwanted watches in with Breitling is something to consider. Thank you for the "heads-up."
Could be model dependent or length of ownership. I was surprised but I did it for fun as I have no intention of selling my Breitling
Old 13 August 2022, 01:05 AM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Could be model dependent or length of ownership. I was surprised but I did it for fun as I have no intention of selling my Breitling
Just submitted a trade request to Breitling for my Premier Norton Chronograph. I was surprised that it was transmitted to Crown & Caliber and will take one business day to get a quote. I will report back when I hear something.
Old 13 August 2022, 03:55 AM   #9
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

My offers when I've submitted trade in requests weren't too bad and were int he ballpark that I was thinking they'd offer. I think the last time I submitted a request for my Chronomat Airborne, I was quoted like $3500 and also $1200 for my Colt Skyracer. The only issue is then you'd have to use those credits to pay full retail for something direct from Breitling.

I did do a trade in request for my Datejust 2 and was offered well more than market value a couple of months ago just to see what they would give me. I love the watch but sometimes think of moving it.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:53 AM   #10
knyshcollection
2024 Pledge Member

What models do you have?
knyshcollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 12:42 AM   #11
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Brian, you were right! I totally confused Brietling's trade-in program with another manufacturer's program. Not even watch related but a similar program that I explored many years ago. Chock it up to old age.

When I used the Breitling program last week something didn't seem familiar, and I racked my brain out and it came to me this morning. It wasn't Breitling's program. It was a totally different manufacturer's trade-in program that I had an experience with.

Breitling came back to me with an offer this morning and I was a bit surprised with how much they would accept as a trade value. Trade value is the kicker, against their full retail price. Even when deducting a reasonable AD's discount from their offer the net would be around what I figure I could get selling to one the Truster Sellers on the TRF, assuming they would even buy a Breitling in today's market. In order to get more, I would have to assume all the risks and time needed to try to sell it on my own. You just have to want another Breitling.

So now it's food for thought....
Old 16 August 2022, 01:31 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Brian, you were right! I totally confused Brietling's trade-in program with another manufacturer's program. Not even watch related but a similar program that I explored many years ago. Chock it up to old age.

When I used the Breitling program last week something didn't seem familiar, and I racked my brain out and it came to me this morning. It wasn't Breitling's program. It was a totally different manufacturer's trade-in program that I had an experience with.

Breitling came back to me with an offer this morning and I was a bit surprised with how much they would accept as a trade value. Trade value is the kicker, against their full retail price. Even when deducting a reasonable AD's discount from their offer the net would be around what I figure I could get selling to one the Truster Sellers on the TRF, assuming they would even buy a Breitling in today's market. In order to get more, I would have to assume all the risks and time needed to try to sell it on my own. You just have to want another Breitling.

So now it's food for thought....
Agreed. Price aside, if you are dealing with Breitling you may be able to secure a piece that is not in a store.
Old 18 August 2022, 11:52 PM   #13
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick6948 View Post
What models do you have?
AB012012/BB01
V173111A/BF91
A1733110/I519
Endurance Pro, light blue model
AB201033/G827
AB201016/C960
Old 18 August 2022, 11:56 PM   #14
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just some thoughts.

You have not listed the watches, why did you buy them?

Breitling is not a very in demand brand so you will likely have to sacrifice/sell them.

What are you looking to buy, what is the budget?

Breitling is doing trade-ins, you could try that first

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/store/trade-in/

Have you checked the prices online for the ones you want to sell?
Great questions. I have these 6:

AB012012/BB01
V173111A/BF91
A1733110/I519
AB201033/G827
AB201016/C960

I loved all of them and still love the variety of them all, but sometimes 6 is overwhelming, and I find myself really thinking I'd rather have just one much higher end watch to simplify everything. I got some quotes on them and it would be hard to stomach moving them at those prices. I definitely wouldn't trade them into Breitling direct as I'd be forced to use the credit to pay full retail (and there's not a ton of new Breitlings I like anyway).

I am thinking something like a 1 or 2 Rolex collection, a Sub no date and a James Cameron or something. Or potentially an AP depending on the market, if they get to the $20k range.
Old 19 August 2022, 12:31 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AB012012/BB01
V173111A/BF91
A1733110/I519
AB201033/G827
AB201016/C960

I loved all of them and still love the variety of them all, but sometimes 6 is overwhelming, and I find myself really thinking I'd rather have just one much higher end watch to simplify everything. I got some quotes on them and it would be hard to stomach moving them at those prices. I definitely wouldn't trade them into Breitling direct as I'd be forced to use the credit to pay full retail (and there's not a ton of new Breitlings I like anyway).

I am thinking something like a 1 or 2 Rolex collection, a Sub no date and a James Cameron or something. Or potentially an AP depending on the market, if they get to the $20k range.
Personally I would keep the Navitimer and the Blue Superocean and move the rest.

At the end of the day you can either take what they are worth to the market or remain unhappy. I have been through that and would rather sell than stare at watches I don't want because I refuse to take a loss.

Good luck
Old 19 August 2022, 01:06 AM   #16
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Changes in tastes and desires happen. I have thought about having "just a few higher end watches" and have then sold off most of the collection to buy one watch that I thought would be all I would need. A few years later I end up having a handful to a dozen (or more) watches.

If you are bored with what you have, and something else is calling, go for it. Selling the watches to private buyers one by one is more time consuming but will maximize your $$. If you have the boxes and papers and they are in good condition, you should be able to sell them for more than the trade in offers.

Good luck!
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 10:35 PM   #17
Darcey
"TRF" Member

You'll take a hit on Breitlings as a trade in. Dealers really lowball them.
Darcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 02:53 AM   #18
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You want watches that you will pay more than they are worth. You will be selling watches for less than they are worth.

Breitling doesn't get the respect it deserves. They stayed to long with one style that isn't in style now. Rappers dis the brand when they are spitting flows.

Master bedroom on the right wing
This a Philippe not a Breitling
Isochronous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 03:30 AM   #19
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcey View Post
You'll take a hit on Breitlings as a trade in. Dealers really lowball them.
Secondary market dealers will most likely not buy them at this point in time. They may take one in as a trade as will Breitling. Breitling accepts them against a new model at full retail, so they have some skin in the game. They go through Crown & Caliber for the trade; however, C & C will most likely not do a cash value buy so Breilting is sweetening the deal for C & C to accept the piece for the trade. Breitling's offers are not too shabby towards a trade, but you end up with another Breitling!
Old 10 September 2022, 11:24 PM   #20
RolexUwe
"TRF" Member

Whenever I'm thinking of selling a watch, I wear it. This exercise has resulted in me either wanting to sell or not sell... and this evaluation can take some time. There's one particular watch that was displaced from wrist time rotation when I bought another newer version of it, and it took me a year to confirm that it made since to sell it. I took my time (pun intended) and ultimately felt comfortable with my decision. Don't rush, take your time so you won't regret your decision. Strange hobby we have, isn't it?
RolexUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:20 AM   #21
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexUwe View Post
Whenever I'm thinking of selling a watch, I wear it. This exercise has resulted in me either wanting to sell or not sell... and this evaluation can take some time. There's one particular watch that was displaced from wrist time rotation when I bought another newer version of it, and it took me a year to confirm that it made since to sell it. I took my time (pun intended) and ultimately felt comfortable with my decision. Don't rush, take your time so you won't regret your decision. Strange hobby we have, isn't it?
Good suggestion
Old 11 September 2022, 06:54 AM   #22
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexUwe View Post
Strange hobby we have, isn't it?

Amen brother.

Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 05:44 PM   #23
favre12rodgers
Banned

Yeah I feel all Breitlings (at least the ones I like) are similar. I do have my Navitimer and will always keep that.
favre12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 04:53 AM   #24
HarryRudd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre12rodgers View Post
Yeah I feel all Breitlings (at least the ones I like) are similar. I do have my Navitimer and will always keep that.

Yes a Nivitimer is a brilliant watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HarryRudd is offline   Reply With Quote