The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2022, 01:15 AM   #1
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Shunbun, Taisetsu or Snowflake???

Would love to hear some thoughts from members and owners, hopefully...

I would like to get another GS to add to my collection. I want to get something a bit sportier than my SBGY007 Omiwatari but not as sporty as my Subs. So no GMT models or anything. White or light dial and must be Spring Drive.

I've always wanted the Snowflake (and for good reason), but the Shunbun SBGA413 and Taisetsu SBGA415 dials have really blown me away. I think I am preferring them to the Snowflake. I think I like the cases more too.

Does anyone find the Shunbun dial too pink? Is the Taisetsu a bit too monochromatic? These are all the questions I'm asking myself. I think the easy choice is the Snowflake, but I think I'll still find myself drooling over the Shunbun/Taisetsu and wish I'd gotten it.

Anyone care to weigh in??

Pic of current collection for reference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg f3728344b7425e15738fe62567ccf1d0.jpeg (212.6 KB, 550 views)

Last edited by tifosi; 7 December 2022 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: added references
tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:35 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I agree winter too monochromatic so spring for the win. Not too pink. The case on these is the best they make. I prefer the seasons line to the snowflake. I know you said no autos but I can’t say enough great things about sbgh295
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:39 AM   #3
arnage
"TRF" Member

I have 2 of the 3 you are considering (snowflake and sbga415); while I enjoy the dialwork and dial color of the snowflake, it's the case design that I'm not a huge fan of. It generally wears a bit chunkier than the 415, and the lines of the case don't have as much uniqueness in design.

I will also admit that the 415's dial is a little monochromatic for my ideal taste; it almost matches the hue of the case / bracelet, in being a muted grey. So there's certainly that aspect to consider. I think my ideal version would be a hybrid of the two -- case from the 415, with dial from the snowflake. I've compared the 415 side by side with the 413; the 413's dial is certainly more lively. so if the monochromatic aspect of the 415 is a concern for you, definitely try to see it side by side with the 413. i wound up with the 415, as I liked the blue seconds hand... which the snowflake also has, of course.

one last anecdote - i also have the 007 (which I see you have in your collection too), and I wear that one a lot more than either the snowflake or the 415.. for what that's worth.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:44 AM   #4
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I agree winter too monochromatic so spring for the win. Not too pink. The case on these is the best they make. I prefer the seasons line to the snowflake. I know you said no autos but I can’t say enough great things about sbgh295
Thanks for the reply. I really like the case, too!

I just feel like (to me) Spring Drive is GS and I have plenty of other "traditional" mechanical watches. But damn, the SBGH295 is a stunner. Maybe a bit too close in color to my Omiwatari though.
Old 7 December 2022, 01:56 AM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
I have 2 of the 3 you are considering (snowflake and sbga415); while I enjoy the dialwork and dial color of the snowflake, it's the case design that I'm not a huge fan of. It generally wears a bit chunkier than the 415, and the lines of the case don't have as much uniqueness in design.

I will also admit that the 415's dial is a little monochromatic for my ideal taste; it almost matches the hue of the case / bracelet, in being a muted grey. So there's certainly that aspect to consider. I think my ideal version would be a hybrid of the two -- case from the 415, with dial from the snowflake. I've compared the 415 side by side with the 413; the 413's dial is certainly more lively. so if the monochromatic aspect of the 415 is a concern for you, definitely try to see it side by side with the 413. i wound up with the 415, as I liked the blue seconds hand... which the snowflake also has, of course.

one last anecdote - i also have the 007 (which I see you have in your collection too), and I wear that one a lot more than either the snowflake or the 415.. for what that's worth.
Is the 415 dial white at all or is it basically grey? I like the blue seconds hand of the 415 as well, but since I have it on the 007 I think that needs to make my decision.

Why do you wear the 007 more than the 415 and Snowflake? Just your style and how you dress day to day? I wand the 415/413 so I can wear a GS more often. I really only wear my 007 once or twice a week to work. Have not worn it outside work on a casual basis since I first got it.
Old 7 December 2022, 06:06 AM   #6
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I have the snowflake, and the WG snowflake and really like them a lot. Have the cherry blossom as well, I don’t find it too pink but it could be for a male. The winter watch I never cared for.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 07:24 AM   #7
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Is the 415 dial white at all or is it basically grey? I like the blue seconds hand of the 415 as well, but since I have it on the 007 I think that needs to make my decision.

Why do you wear the 007 more than the 415 and Snowflake? Just your style and how you dress day to day? I wand the 415/413 so I can wear a GS more often. I really only wear my 007 once or twice a week to work. Have not worn it outside work on a casual basis since I first got it.
I think the 415 dial is basically grey, in most lighting conditions. It's definitely a more subdued watch, which can be appreciated for what it is (it tends to live under the limelight of its better known Spring variant..)

The 007 - I find I wear it more frequently because I happen to have a lot of different straps for it (19mm lug width, so a bit odd.. but I have a few other 19mm GSes, so I accumulated a collection of aftermarket straps). The interchangeability of straps on quick-release makes it a bit more fun. it's also the watch I tend to wear into the office for work, as it is really slim and classical looking. and no one will mistake it for a Rolex, so I can avoid those types of conversations.

Old 7 December 2022, 07:44 AM   #8
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Snowflake is the icon. And ----- any pink is too pink.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 08:59 AM   #9
juve
"TRF" Member

Snowflake
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 11:38 AM   #10
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Snowflake
+1.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:37 PM   #11
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just got a SBGA373 , as good as a SBGA211 , but stainless and at 40mm.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 12:28 AM   #12
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the 415 dial is basically grey, in most lighting conditions. It's definitely a more subdued watch, which can be appreciated for what it is (it tends to live under the limelight of its better known Spring variant..)

The 007 - I find I wear it more frequently because I happen to have a lot of different straps for it (19mm lug width, so a bit odd.. but I have a few other 19mm GSes, so I accumulated a collection of aftermarket straps). The interchangeability of straps on quick-release makes it a bit more fun. it's also the watch I tend to wear into the office for work, as it is really slim and classical looking. and no one will mistake it for a Rolex, so I can avoid those types of conversations.

Thanks so much for the insight! I gotta say in these shots, I really prefer the 415. I think mainly due to the case.

Ohhh...you have the 011 Snowflake! That's the one I'd prefer. Wish I could still get one new.

I've only gotten 2 comments on my Rolex at work in 15+ years. Not a bad average.
Old 8 December 2022, 12:30 AM   #13
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
Snowflake is the icon. And ----- any pink is too pink.
Quote:
Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseR View Post
+1.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrew6l View Post
Just got a SBGA373 , as good as a SBGA211 , but stainless and at 40mm.
Is the SS version a limited edition or something?
Old 8 December 2022, 02:01 AM   #14
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
It's not a version. Just another model.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 06:09 AM   #15
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Snowflake
From the three ,,, SF then the Shunbun ,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 07:37 AM   #16
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Damn so nice! Last one is on a Artem strap right?

Quote:

AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 11:53 AM   #17
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can you tell me which strap this is? Looks great!
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 01:06 PM   #18
arnage
"TRF" Member

Yes -- the last strap is an artem quick-release sailcloth strap.. It's pretty cool looking, but it does take a while to properly conform and break-in for wear; I think the tidbit I've seen in their marketing about no break-in period is exaggerated.
Old 11 December 2022, 01:47 PM   #19
ink3027
"TRF" Member

I've had the SBGA415, the Winter, for almost a year and a half and it's my favorite watch I've ever owned. The look, the comfort, the accuracy, the versatility, I love absolutely everything about it. Highly, highly recommended.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 06:48 AM   #20
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes -- the last strap is an artem quick-release sailcloth strap.. It's pretty cool looking, but it does take a while to properly conform and break-in for wear; I think the tidbit I've seen in their marketing about no break-in period is exaggerated.
I put this one on a silver black bay Tudor, although no quick-release how stupid of me. Next one will be with the quick release.

My friend just got a newer one, more shiny version of the strap. Wonder why they changed. I like the matt look.
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2022, 11:54 PM   #21
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried to like another Grand Seiko as much as the Shunbun and I can’t find another I like as much. It’s the only Titanium watch I’ve ever owned, and after a bunch of Rolex it introduced me to the concept that a light watch could still feel expensive and valuable. The dial is very subtle and changes from silver to pink. Also I’m big into samurai/Japanese culture and the significance of cherry blossom(rebirth, new beginnings) is pretty cool - a good watch to purchase to celebrate an important event.

I love the zaratsu on the 44gs case but just can’t get used to how it wears. And snowflake is the least attractive case of all the GS in my opinion. The winter is nice but definitely too monochromatic. I’ve haven’t seen many people that saw the the spring in person and weren’t smitten.

Sadly I sold mine a while back to free up funds and regret it. One of the only watches that have ever had a sentimental value. I will be purchasing again soon. Good luck!
Dcraig is offline   Reply With Quote