The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 January 2023, 03:05 AM   #1
Crown.and.Crest
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster '57 On Wrist

Happy new year everyone!

Hoping this is the right place to post this. I have a favor to ask of anyone with a 2022 Speedmaster '57. I really like this reference on paper, especially with the column-wheel / vertical clutch 9906. However, photos and videos of the watch look much larger in diameter than the 40.5mm measurement would indicate.

As such, I have been trying to find photos of the watch compared to some other common models to see how large it wears (primarily comparing dial size). Unfortunately, my searches have largely been unsuccessful, and I have yet to see one in person to help guide me.

I am hoping to see photos of the speedmaster '57 next to a Tudor Black Bay Chronograph, Rolex Daytona, 6-digit submariner, GMT, or even a DJ/OP41 to offer some perspective for its size.

Any speedmaster '57 owners in here that could provide comparison shots?

Thanks in advance!
Crown.and.Crest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 05:48 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's not the diameter really in terms of fit in my opinion (I am on the smaller wrist spectrum and I'm assuming you are as well asking this question). It's a small diameter but with the straight lugs it has a lug to lug of very close to 50mm. That's right around my maximum comfort level personally with a 6.75" wrist approx but mine is pretty flat also....I do think it would fit far better with curved lugs but it would take away from the heritage of the 2915 straight lugs. Beautiful watch and I highly recommend it, truly an amazing modernization of the original Speedmaster........now I'm just waiting for a true proper heritage Seamaster 300.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 12:00 PM   #3
Crown.and.Crest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's not the diameter really in terms of fit in my opinion (I am on the smaller wrist spectrum and I'm assuming you are as well asking this question). It's a small diameter but with the straight lugs it has a lug to lug of very close to 50mm. That's right around my maximum comfort level personally with a 6.75" wrist approx but mine is pretty flat also....I do think it would fit far better with curved lugs but it would take away from the heritage of the 2915 straight lugs. Beautiful watch and I highly recommend it, truly an amazing modernization of the original Speedmaster........now I'm just waiting for a true proper heritage Seamaster 300.
Thanks for the reply! The lug-to-lug is partially what has me concerned. However, my primary concern actually has more to do with the size of the dial I think. It may have been a trick of the photo, but I believe the one comparison I’ve seen is to the current 3861 speedmaster and the dial on the ‘57 looked much larger. Maybe this is due to a relatively thin bezel? This is, for example, in contrast to a 6 digit submariner that has a substantial bezel and a smaller dial. I owned a “hesalite sandwich” and never felt it was too large. My guess is the ‘57 would be just fine, but that 3861 comparison had me confused
Old 2 January 2023, 02:52 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

You're not far off. The dial is definitely large but not in a distracting way. The watch definitely wears larger than a standard moonwatch to me but it's due to the lug to lug/straight lug case. I feel the same way with professional case vs fois case... The straight lugs on fois makes the watch wear larger even if it's a smaller diameter without the crown guards.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 11:16 PM   #5
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I have the 3861 sapphire sandwich on my list this year based on what I have read and research. I have NOT tried one on. How similar does the 3861 professional moon watch wear compared to a 42 SMP? can anyone answer this please.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 11:37 PM   #6
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I have the 3861 sapphire sandwich on my list this year based on what I have read and research. I have NOT tried one on. How similar does the 3861 professional moon watch wear compared to a 42 SMP? can anyone answer this please.
The 42 SMP wears bigger than the 3861. On my wrist 6.75 inches it's wears quite large but I like the look! The Speedmaster looks more restrained.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 12:29 AM   #7
Crown.and.Crest
"TRF" Member

Tried to answer my own question a slightly different way:

According to a forum user in 2018 the effective dial size of a speedmaster professional (measuring from 9-3) is ~30mm in diameter.

The crystal (not dial, so not apples to apples sadly) size of the 5 digit Rolex submariner, for reference, is right around ~30.5mm.

6 digit Rolex Daytona crystal size is listed by the same source at ~30.5mm.

The omega seamaster professional 300 has a crystal size of ~31.5mm.

Finally, the speedmaster ‘57 crystal is ~35mm.

I am digging around to see if I can get more direct comparison measurements but I think this tentatively confirms the “dinner plate dial” phenomenon I had been observing in the speedmaster ‘57 photos. Visually, I think it makes the watch appear much larger than its nominal case diameter would indicate.

Hope this helps someone else too. Feel free to comment/correct if any of the above seems wrong
Old 5 January 2023, 01:09 AM   #8
Hourglass_Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster '57
I have a '57. I am receiving a BB GMT this week. Would that comparison help?
Hourglass_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 04:27 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown.and.Crest View Post
Tried to answer my own question a slightly different way:

According to a forum user in 2018 the effective dial size of a speedmaster professional (measuring from 9-3) is ~30mm in diameter.

The crystal (not dial, so not apples to apples sadly) size of the 5 digit Rolex submariner, for reference, is right around ~30.5mm.

6 digit Rolex Daytona crystal size is listed by the same source at ~30.5mm.

The omega seamaster professional 300 has a crystal size of ~31.5mm.

Finally, the speedmaster ‘57 crystal is ~35mm.

I am digging around to see if I can get more direct comparison measurements but I think this tentatively confirms the “dinner plate dial” phenomenon I had been observing in the speedmaster ‘57 photos. Visually, I think it makes the watch appear much larger than its nominal case diameter would indicate.

Hope this helps someone else too. Feel free to comment/correct if any of the above seems wrong
I agree and it’s the reason we only went on a few dates
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 06:46 AM   #10
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
My wrist is 6.75 “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 09:07 AM   #11
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown.and.Crest View Post
Thanks for the reply! The lug-to-lug is partially what has me concerned. However, my primary concern actually has more to do with the size of the dial I think. It may have been a trick of the photo, but I believe the one comparison I’ve seen is to the current 3861 speedmaster and the dial on the ‘57 looked much larger. Maybe this is due to a relatively thin bezel? This is, for example, in contrast to a 6 digit submariner that has a substantial bezel and a smaller dial. I owned a “hesalite sandwich” and never felt it was too large. My guess is the ‘57 would be just fine, but that 3861 comparison had me confused
How is dial size a concern? Isn't it a good thing for a chronograph to have a bigger dial to improve legibility?
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 02:54 AM   #12
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
My wrist is 6.75 “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Mike interested in hearing your thoughts on how the 57 wears vs the Daytona.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 05:31 AM   #13
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Hey Mike interested in hearing your thoughts on how the 57 wears vs the Daytona.
It wears quite well and is very comfy. Not as snug and comfy as a daytona, but not much is. Much ado is getting made about the lug to lug, but the lugs curve down nicely so it's a non issue for me. All in all the '57 is very comfortable, not too big with lugs that curve down nicely and an awesome bracelet. The micro adjustment makes a ton of difference too.

I like the big dial. Don't think it looks saucer-ish.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 01:38 PM   #14
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
It wears quite well and is very comfy. Not as snug and comfy as a daytona, but not much is. Much ado is getting made about the lug to lug, but the lugs curve down nicely so it's a non issue for me. All in all the '57 is very comfortable, not too big with lugs that curve down nicely and an awesome bracelet. The micro adjustment makes a ton of difference too.

I like the big dial. Don't think it looks saucer-ish.
Thanks, sounds great! I think the green dial is tops on my wish list right now other than a BLRO which is a pipe dream.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 09:33 AM   #15
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
I have a standard speedy pro and I think the '57 wears a bit smaller or at least appears to in person. I think the steel bezel distorts ones view when looking at pictures. There is nothing to reign in the dial, much like I believe the white face SMP looks smaller compared with the rest.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote