The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 January 2023, 01:25 PM   #1
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Rolex CPO - Second Take, Apocalypse?

We all know that the CPO program has yet to commence in North America, arguably the world’s largest market for Rolex.

Taking a cursory look at two of our US mega AD chains, Mayors (Watches of Switzerland) & Bucherer (Tourneau) we already know that on paper these two Goliaths have very, very deep pockets. Spending 40 million monthly each, or more, on used Rolex’s would probably look like a mere rounding error on their annual financial statements.

Now, lets say the average price paid (for arguments sake) is 15k per watch. That’s 2,666 watches for each nationwide AD chain per month. Based on all their nationwide stores, that would still leave just a handful of CPO watches available at each store. However, perhaps they aspire to have more in each store? Perhaps they decide their monthly spend should be 80 million? There should be no doubt, corporations of that magnitude could plough into the secondary market with substantial budgets that I suspect no current US grey dealer could dream to muster spending to acquire used inventory. Follow me?

Are we about to experience a seismic event in the used Rolex sphere when these two commence buying-up and drying-up all the used Rolex availability?

Are we about to witness an epic battle between Greys and the two enormous watch retail Goliaths, all vying for essentially the same used watch inventory? It would seem on a purely financial standpoint, few (if any?) greys could approach the buying power or sheer financial might of their new nemeses?

If we are to witness this upcoming showdown, the old supply/demand equation could make for interesting times ahead where used Rolex prices are concerned.

What do you all think? Upcoming armageddon for greys? Apocalyptic demise of the Rolex Grey dealer? Or, are my thoughts outlandish, unlikely, misplaced or sound insane? Anyone have a second opinion I may have overlooked?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 01:37 PM   #2
Jessiecopeland
Banned

I keep thinking about the current amount of new watches in AD’s.
I see a future where there are more CPO watches in stores than new.
Jessiecopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 01:59 PM   #3
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
I agree
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 02:00 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I think this’ll all be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 12:08 AM   #5
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I think this’ll all be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. Grey's will still have a market. Just more competition. Grey's cannot meet some terms that buying a certified watch from an AD offers, but they will probably be able to offer a larger stock and lower overhead and hence a lower price.

There is also the question of how AD's will treat this stock. First come first serve, or lists? if AD's start requiring purchase "relationships" for used watches, Grey's will still offer an alternative to buying 100k of over priced jewelry to get on a list.
Old 8 January 2023, 10:15 AM   #6
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree. Grey's will still have a market. Just more competition. Grey's cannot meet some terms that buying a certified watch from an AD offers, but they will probably be able to offer a larger stock and lower overhead and hence a lower price.

There is also the question of how AD's will treat this stock. First come first serve, or lists? if AD's start requiring purchase "relationships" for used watches, Grey's will still offer an alternative to buying 100k of over priced jewelry to get on a list.
I agree totally with your assessments! The CPO will have a market of its own. Probably displayed in one of the empty Rolex cases at each participating AD. The targeted consumer will most likely not be a WIS.

Because of the AD overhead and cost to service a CPO watch the resale price will more than likely be higher than a Trusted Seller and the buy price will be less for the same reasons. I believe that they will be targeting their own luxury market retail consumers who have a need for a certified authentic piece that has been serviced and comes with a manufacturer's warranty when a new piece isn't immediately available.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 02:40 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

I wonder how many people that recoil at the horror of visiting a car dealership to negotiate the price of a trade-in in order to negotiate the price of a new car?

Are they really embracing what Rolex is doing?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 03:07 AM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I wonder how many people that recoil at the horror of visiting a car dealership to negotiate the price of a trade-in in order to negotiate the price of a new car?

Are they really embracing what Rolex is doing?
I completely agree Brian. Having traded (or sold outright) dozens of pieces over the years, a Rolex AD that dealt with "pre-owned" pieces never came close to Trusted Seller's buy price.

AD's have all the overhead that most internet resellers don't and add any costs associated (such as full service) with reselling under the CPO will even make it worse.

Unless you are leveraging the trade to acquire some sort of highly desirable piece near MSRP at an AD then the CPO may not be the way to go for the average WIS.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote