The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2022, 01:15 AM   #61
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

All these with a Brand New GS 9SA5 ? I am with you on this one , GS is the guilty party.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 04:15 AM   #62
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

These are problems literally right out of the box.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 12:12 AM   #63
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

It’s a real shame this movement is failing. Tue watch itself wears really well, sits perfectly on the wrist. The movement is a joy to view under a loupe. It’s a real shame the accuracy is off…..I’m still having issues with mine after being returned back from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Henry14th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 03:20 AM   #64
Chas58
"TRF" Member

Fix?

Its been awhile since someone posted, but it looks like these movements really really like to be fully wound. I'm guessing about 50 winds?

Mine seemed to be about 10 seconds fast, but fullin winding it and leaving it on a watch winder showed it to be about 6 seconds fast a day. Poor performance compared to my �� but better than the 12 seconds it seemed to be getting initially.

Interestingly, on the time grapher, it seems to show +11 seconds/day. I'm thinking the dual impulse escapement might be causing the grapher to think it is beating twice as fast as it expects.

experiments continue...
Chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 12:54 AM   #65
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Ugh, so frustrating. It seems that, whether it be the Omega Co-axial, Rolex Chronergy, or the GS Dual Impulse, it takes years of “user testing” before they iron out issues with new escapement designs. Omega finally got it solved after 8 years, but Rolex and GS apparently still have work to do.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2023, 02:14 AM   #66
Tshado
"TRF" Member

My white Birch that I bought 1.5 years ago was advancing 30s after only a few hours when turned on its side. I sent the watch back to Grand seiko in July.

After a 2-month wait, I was told that the watch had to be sent back to Tokyo because it needed further adjustment.

Grand seiko reported to the AD that it could take another 3-4 months and he understands that I don't want to wait that long.

To solve this problem, Grand seiko offered to take back my watch and replace it with a new one, 100% new, without having to return the old box and manual (after 1.5 years of use).
Naturally, I accepted, and 2 days later my ad received my new watch with a new warranty. Grand seiko service was perfect for me.
Tshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2023, 08:38 AM   #67
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshado View Post
My white Birch that I bought 1.5 years ago was advancing 30s after only a few hours when turned on its side. I sent the watch back to Grand seiko in July.

After a 2-month wait, I was told that the watch had to be sent back to Tokyo because it needed further adjustment.

Grand seiko reported to the AD that it could take another 3-4 months and he understands that I don't want to wait that long.

To solve this problem, Grand seiko offered to take back my watch and replace it with a new one, 100% new, without having to return the old box and manual (after 1.5 years of use).
Naturally, I accepted, and 2 days later my ad received my new watch with a new warranty. Grand seiko service was perfect for me.
Wow, that's great service. Glad to hear it. My 9RA5 will be sent to Japan when service time comes around. So far not even a second off after 2 months of 24/7 wear.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2023, 01:05 PM   #68
m4rty
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Snowflake here; had it for almost three years and it's the most accurate watch I own. I don't own a time-o-graph for proof, but it's accurate....

It may gain a second or five every month if at all.
m4rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 03:20 AM   #69
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Very attractive watch. Maybe will regulate as time goes on?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 11:15 PM   #70
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
I don’t have the new hi-beat but my 9S63 manual wind is also running fast. It’s running consistently at +7 spd sitting in my watch box. A little disappointed compare to how accurate mechanical movements from other brands are these days.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 02:27 AM   #71
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

After months of being at Seiko NJ, then sending my Night Birch to Japan, then getting it back, my watch is still running fast....about +7spd. I'm not really sure if fully winding it will make a difference, but somehow, that doesn't seem to make intuitive sense as a fully wound watch would tend to run fast vs a watch close to the end of its power reserve.

I still think that all these direct/indirect impulse escapements had a fundamental issue in that the double impluse they are receiving imparts too much power to the escapement and that this shows up not immediately after regulation, but over time as each extra impluse begins to add up.

If this really is the problem (and what do I know, I'm no watch maker), this is design problem. There needs to be an additional regulation device or step to make sure each impulse is consistent in its power transfer.

In all honesty, if there is a choice between a high-beat movement with a long power reserve vs a high-beat movement with 1/2 the power reserve but better accuracy, I'd pick better accuracy every time.

My older GS high-beat model is one of my most accurate timepieces. I'd prefer that in a heart beat.
Old 20 October 2023, 12:49 AM   #72
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
After months of being at Seiko NJ, then sending my Night Birch to Japan, then getting it back, my watch is still running fast....about +7spd. I'm not really sure if fully winding it will make a difference, but somehow, that doesn't seem to make intuitive sense as a fully wound watch would tend to run fast vs a watch close to the end of its power reserve.

I still think that all these direct/indirect impulse escapements had a fundamental issue in that the double impluse they are receiving imparts too much power to the escapement and that this shows up not immediately after regulation, but over time as each extra impluse begins to add up.

If this really is the problem (and what do I know, I'm no watch maker), this is design problem. There needs to be an additional regulation device or step to make sure each impulse is consistent in its power transfer.

In all honesty, if there is a choice between a high-beat movement with a long power reserve vs a high-beat movement with 1/2 the power reserve but better accuracy, I'd pick better accuracy every time.

My older GS high-beat model is one of my most accurate timepieces. I'd prefer that in a heart beat.

I agree with this. My WB went back to Japan after gain 12 secs per day. It came back gaining 7 secs per day. My local dealer said it is gaining 5 secs but for the life of me I can’t get it to run less than 7 secs per day.

My collection consists of 12 watches and the WB is the worst time keeper.

Although I also own a spring drive, I’m afraid I won’t be buying another GS based on this.

It’s a shame a the watches and movement finishing is great.

Old 20 October 2023, 03:29 AM   #73
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Whenever I see another great looking GS but has the 9SA5 movement, I'm a little disappointed. I'm hoping for more Spring Drives.

If Omega had the same issues initially with the Co-Axial, and they fixed that issue, then I'm hoping GS eventually does the same. When that happens, I don't know, but I hope news of such improvement shows up in these boards and others.

I just did another timegrapher check on my Night Birch. In 6 positions, the best I could get was +7 spd (crown up and down). The worst was face up at +10 spd. This was toward the middle to end of the power reserve.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on another warranty fix, but this will mean I won't see this watch for another 6-months.

This sucks.
Old 20 October 2023, 10:57 PM   #74
Henry14th
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Whenever I see another great looking GS but has the 9SA5 movement, I'm a little disappointed. I'm hoping for more Spring Drives.

If Omega had the same issues initially with the Co-Axial, and they fixed that issue, then I'm hoping GS eventually does the same. When that happens, I don't know, but I hope news of such improvement shows up in these boards and others.

I just did another timegrapher check on my Night Birch. In 6 positions, the best I could get was +7 spd (crown up and down). The worst was face up at +10 spd. This was toward the middle to end of the power reserve.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on another warranty fix, but this will mean I won't see this watch for another 6-months.

This sucks.

I’d go for the warranty fix. I’m sure they are receiving many of these movements back and at some point they have to find a better fix.

Old 29 November 2023, 04:05 AM   #75
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Mine is +3s/day on the wrist and another +1 to 2s when left crown up / down overnight.

thegrandseirolexguy is online now   Reply With Quote