The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 January 2023, 11:22 PM   #1
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Date change at midnight (ish)

Sorry for the stupid question but interested to know the answer to this one. I’m sure it’s been asked and discussed before but I’m not getting much of use out of the search function.

Other automatic watches I’ve had in the past show the date changing very gradually around midnight. Eg an old Tag I have, it’s evident the date wheel is moving from about 23.50 then it clicks through the last of the actual change at 00.02.

My current model (Explorer II 226570 so 3285 movement) doesn’t move at all until about 00.06 then changes very suddenly.

Is this something thats generally accepted and what causes it? eg a slight misalignment or design of the movement and how far out would be expected? I’ve had the watch a month and it’s only about 2 seconds off my iPhone over 30 days from initially setting it so surprised the date change is so much less precise. (Not that I desperately need to know the date in those 6 minutes but just interested!)
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 01:21 AM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It is my understanding that your Rolex is within the acceptable tolerance range for the change according to Rolex. It could be altered very easily by re-seting the position of the hands. To that, it will probably be different whenever it comes back from a service.
The Rolex has a quickset mechanism and that's the reason it flips instantly and also the reason why one can change the date at any time of the day without damaging the movement. There's no need to be concerned about changing the date during the critical time period on a modern Rolex because of the quickset mechanism.

I can't speak to the TAG but some change progressively over a number of hours. Hense we need to be mindful of the critical range.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 02:17 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
. . .

Other automatic watches I’ve had in the past show the date changing very gradually around midnight. Eg an old Tag I have, it’s evident the date wheel is moving from about 23.50 then it clicks through the last of the actual change at 00.02.

My current model (Explorer II 226570 so 3285 movement) doesn’t move at all until about 00.06 then changes very suddenly.

Is this something thats generally accepted and what causes it? eg a slight misalignment or design of the movement and how far out would be expected? .
. .
"Other" watches engage gears and slowly turn the wheel to another day. For some this takes several hours.

Rolex uses a cam and flat spring. When the cam reaches midnight, the spring is released and snaps the wheel to the next day instantly, as your Explorer is doing.

The mechanism works with each 24 hour turn of the entire movement. The hands you see are a visual representation of time but are not physically attached to the date wheel. When a movement is assembled, the hands are the last thing put on and will be a few minutes either side of when the cam slaps the date spring.
Old 6 January 2023, 04:44 AM   #4
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Thanks - that’s a helpful summary and pointers. I’m sure I can find some diagrams, videos etc to learn a bit more as well - I had looked at my watch on Year’s Eve and noticed the date hadn’t changed just after midnight and then when I looked back a few minutes later, it had changed and I wondered when it did.

I happened to go to bed at midnight last night so made a point of watching it and was surprised how how different it was to other watches I own.
Old 7 January 2023, 04:16 PM   #5
WatchMySix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the stupid question but interested to know the answer to this one. I’m sure it’s been asked and discussed before but I’m not getting much of use out of the search function.

Is this something thats generally accepted and what causes it? eg a slight misalignment or design of the movement and how far out would be expected? I’ve had the watch a month and it’s only about 2 seconds off my iPhone over 30 days from initially setting it so surprised the date change is so much less precise. (Not that I desperately need to know the date in those 6 minutes but just interested!)

That's funny because my date changes over at 0006 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchMySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 06:54 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Don't worry when the date changes it can be a few minutes different either way. Dont forget its purely a mechanical process its not like switching a electronic switch. Rolex uses a cam system date change and sometimes they can get a bit dry from constant daily use, so it could take and extra minute or so for the jewel to slide off the cam, it does not indicate a problem with the watch.The most important thing that it changes by morning when you wake up,and you can see its changed, now thats far more important. As it proves you are still alive to live another day, hopefully in years to come to enjoy wearing your Rolex for many future decades .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 07:39 AM   #7
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

La tolerancia de salto en la programación está entre -1 minuto a + 1 minuto, no perjudicando en el funcionamiento cualquier salto fuera de la tolerancia.
Alexjb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 02:42 AM   #8
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
All normal. Between my wife and I we have owned about 12+ Rolexes over the years. Only one, a DJ31 changed exactly at midnight.
Old 11 January 2023, 05:59 AM   #9
Jessiecopeland
Banned

Quote:

It’s called instantaneous date change.
They have designed this mechanism to be as precise as possible. It should happen exactly the same each day, with in seconds of the previous day.
Keep in mind this is a purely mechanical mechanism where inaccuracies could and should be expected.

I am a little confused. Were you worried that it happened 6 seconds after midnight?
That’s very precise in the mechanical world.

Expecting it to change each day according to you iPhone is a little out of range for many reasons.
Your watch is either gaining or losing at least 2 seconds daily minimum.
Your iPhone, should be exact. Every day.
If you took a reading on Monday and it was 6 seconds slow, by next Monday it could be much slower or much quicker, according to you iPhone.
Jessiecopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 10:16 PM   #10
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Mine does the same. No worries - it’s normal
Old 4 February 2023, 08:05 PM   #11
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMySix View Post
That's funny because my date changes over at 0006 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to clarify - you guys are saying that the date changes suddenly 6 minutes after midnight right? Not 6 seconds after midnight.
Redemption144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 12:52 AM   #12
swissfrank
"TRF" Member

My date just 3230 movement date change was usually 6 or 7 minutes past 12:00.
swissfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 12:56 AM   #13
swissfrank
"TRF" Member

My datejust changed the date instantly 6 or 7 minutes
after 12:00 with a little click sound.
swissfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:04 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
"Other" watches engage gears and slowly turn the wheel to another day. For some this takes several hours.

Rolex uses a cam and flat spring. When the cam reaches midnight, the spring is released and snaps the wheel to the next day instantly, as your Explorer is doing.

The mechanism works with each 24 hour turn of the entire movement. The hands you see are a visual representation of time but are not physically attached to the date wheel. When a movement is assembled, the hands are the last thing put on and will be a few minutes either side of when the cam slaps the date spring.
Nice summary Larry. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it explained this way
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 04:58 AM   #15
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Nice summary Larry. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it explained this way
Been watching a lot of Youtubes of qualified people doing restorations and services to many watches and that is the mechanics behind the date wheel and its relation to changing/flipping over. Quite the interesting mechanics of it all...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 01:26 AM   #16
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

Precision
https://youtu.be/-q11QakS6KE
Old 14 February 2023, 04:21 AM   #17
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

Un clásico
https://youtu.be/qogCoOIDM7A
Old 14 February 2023, 04:23 AM   #18
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

Explorer
https://youtu.be/4TKbnQhIlUM
Old 14 February 2023, 07:20 AM   #19
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
The most accurate was 1st one on the precision..
but all 3 are not cased..which could make a difference...
Cool tho.......

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2023, 05:18 PM   #20
Kensk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Is this the same for Tudor watches? My Peli changes at around 12:25, dont really bother me but would it be worth getting it looked at?
Kensk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2023, 06:00 PM   #21
Renbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
great to read through :) thanks
Renbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 01:48 PM   #22
Flipmarine2k
"TRF" Member

My 1982 day date changes 1 minute early. My 2022 Datejust changes 4 minutes past midnight

👑: 16710-GMT Master II, 16622- Yachtmaster, 18038 Day-Date, 216570 Exp II- Black, 116000 OP Red Grape, 16570 Explorer II Polar, 16750 GMT Master, 124060 Submariner, 16610LV Kermit, 116523 White Panda Racing Dial; Omega SMPc Tokyo, speedy 1861 Sapphire 🛡️: BB58 gilt. Cartier: WSSA0037 Santos ADLC Grey
Flipmarine2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 06:30 AM   #23
jbwm2311
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 126660
Yep. My 2022 DSSD slaps onto the next day at exactly 00:04:55 every time. Usually though I'm either too asleep, too busy drinking, or too busy not looking to notice!
jbwm2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 11:29 PM   #24
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I can hear my date change at 5 minutes past midnight. If I'm still awake.
Old 16 March 2023, 03:31 AM   #25
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
It’s called instantaneous date change.
They have designed this mechanism to be as precise as possible. It should happen exactly the same each day, with in seconds of the previous day.
Keep in mind this is a purely mechanical mechanism where inaccuracies could and should be expected.

I am a little confused. Were you worried that it happened 6 seconds after midnight?
That’s very precise in the mechanical world.

Expecting it to change each day according to you iPhone is a little out of range for many reasons.
Your watch is either gaining or losing at least 2 seconds daily minimum.
Your iPhone, should be exact. Every day.
If you took a reading on Monday and it was 6 seconds slow, by next Monday it could be much slower or much quicker, according to you iPhone.
Didn’t realise this thread was still getting replies. I think the question’s been answered above but it wasn’t 6 seconds - I had wondered why the watch was exactly 6 minutes “late” changing every night. Six minutes past midnight on the dot every night.
Thank you all for the replies.
Old 22 March 2023, 04:01 PM   #26
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Didn’t realise this thread was still getting replies. I think the question’s been answered above but it wasn’t 6 seconds - I had wondered why the watch was exactly 6 minutes “late” changing every night. Six minutes past midnight on the dot every night.
Thank you all for the replies.

Date change alignment has to do with how accurate the watchmaker chose to be (or was able to be) on the day he or she mounted the hands. It has nothing about the movement quality. Getting the hands to align exactly at midnight at date change is absolutely possible (given an instantaneous date change system), however, easier to do on some calibers than others. Anything outside of +/- 2mins of midnight is just laziness or ineptitude on the part of the watchmaker that set the hands.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 02:21 PM   #27
chiumeister
"TRF" Member

Why is it that when I manually wind the minutes hand, the date changes at midnight. But when it runs mechanically, the date changes minutes after midnight?

Is there a way without having the Rolex watchmaker open my GMT II, for me to adjust by (hand)?
chiumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 01:50 PM   #28
ganagati
"TRF" Member

I’ve read it’s a function of where the watchmaker sets it. It’s an alignment thing. They attempt to get it right at midnight, but as long as it’s close it passes quality.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 02:43 PM   #29
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
I’ve read it’s a function of where the watchmaker sets it. It’s an alignment thing. They attempt to get it right at midnight, but as long as it’s close it passes quality.
RTT.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:06 PM   #30
chiumeister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
I guess under 10 minutes is close enough.
chiumeister is offline   Reply With Quote