The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2023, 03:11 AM   #31
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Also, sorry for all of the questions, I know a lot of these could be answered if I tried one a few, but I live in an area where the closest AP seller is several hundred miles away.
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 03:43 AM   #32
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
As someone else said, Rolex are tool watches, APs aren't.

My Rolex Sub has joined me for snowboarding in Chamonix to rock-climbing in Oman. Why? Because I can't be bothered checking time on my phone while boarding.

Can I do this with an AP RO(O), no, they will not survive it. This is one of the reason why I don't wear my APs everyday, although I want to. They are just too fragile. When I do wear my APs, I notice that I'm way too careful with it, making sure I don't bang it on my desk, tell my tinder dates not to touch it, etc. I enjoy wearing them though, especially my CODE. That thing distracts me during work, and also during dates.

VCs on the other hand are much more durable, the Overseas that is. That's a proper sport watch in comparison with the RO.
Not my experience. My 15202 and 15500 have been skiing, rock climbing, handball, golfing with me. Never a problem. Fragile not.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 04:18 AM   #33
puckybadger
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO/Rolex Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallumGuida View Post
I bought an AP ROO in November-22 and absolutely love the brand now.

Mines the titanium version and haven’t noticed a single scratch on it yet from near daily wear. I notice I don’t knock it on the desk with the rubber strap as much and it is so much more comfortable despite being bigger than the watches I own and the strap makes it so easy to wear/comfortable.

I set the time to my iPhone on the 12th December and it is keeping time to the minute which is better than any of the Rolex’s I own, despite the claim of +2/-2x

The dial is worlds apart from most Rolex watches and now I love the brand.

Also the main thing I love is you can wear a watch of significant value of high horology and the vast majority of people don’t even know what it is - I love that I can walk around with a lovely timepiece and nobody even bats an eyelid whereas the Rolex draws a lot of attention, feels like I can fly under the radar when I’m out with my family.
My exact feelings. Hope you got the deployment clasp.
puckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 05:08 AM   #34
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
Great and funny input, thanks folks!. This leads me to another AP question. My go to watch currently is a DD 118238 (36MM). I dont have small wrists I just prefer a 40MM or less. I have heard that APs wear "larger" Which size would you recommend for my size preference? TIA
The 37mm 15450 may be the watch for you.
Old 7 January 2023, 08:17 AM   #35
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Love both brands. Started with Rolex and acquired a few AP’s. I still love and wear Rolex depending on the day’s activities, but the AP’s are the ones I like to wear and look at the most. Hate to make car analogies, but you could say it’s like having a Mercedes Benz (Rolex) as the daily and a Lamborghini (AP) as the weekend fun car.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 10:24 AM   #36
Mirek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 & 4100BA
I love my 16520 Daytona but my AP 4100BA is more like a piece of “treasure”. Unfortunately I do not find much occasion to wear it.

If I could only have one, I would keep the Daytona since it is so easy to put on and just never take off. Ever.
Mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 03:10 PM   #37
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Not my experience. My 15202 and 15500 have been skiing, rock climbing, handball, golfing with me. Never a problem. Fragile not.
We both know that snowboarders are bit more reckless than you skiers ;)
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 03:16 PM   #38
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xalate View Post
Following this thread too. Curious to hear about AP's timekeeping ability (Rolex -2/+2, Omega master chronometer are pretty good and consistent), after sales service etc.
Ever since I got more than 2 watches, I've stopped caring or checking for the accuracy because my watches never stay running long enough for me to notice.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 07:18 PM   #39
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I've never babied my watches either, but rock climbing?!
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 11:27 PM   #40
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Rolex = Mercedes/BMW/Audi
AP = Lamborghini
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 03:14 AM   #41
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
39mm is the way to go no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, doesn’t get better than this, sweet, soo wheat 🌾
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 05:53 AM   #42
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubojunk View Post
to be quite honest, my ap diver is the most inaccurate timepiece I own. It doesn't bother me anymore as i grew out of that phase, but if i recall it was always something like + 8-12 seconds a day even after a service.

My 15720 was +8 when I got it in 2015. I sent it in for service and asked specifically to have it regulated for +2-4 per day. 6 plus years later and it’s still +2 per day and I wear it on weekends, vacations and it’s sits in a box the rest of the time. My 26420 came +4 per day which I’m also okay with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote