The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 January 2023, 05:26 AM   #1
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Wrong box/papers right card

I'm feeling a little conflicted on an aspect of a recent purchase:

Drove three hours to a store in the Diamond District for a specific piece they had. Negotiated a price I'm very happy with -- box, card, and number of links clearly specified. Shipping and other booklets/manuals was left a bit ambiguous although he had earlier told me shipping would be $150. He didn't charge for shipping and included manuals (for DD40 instead of DD2 but the wrong manuals were in the chrono24 listing) but he gave me a L box instead of an XL box (I specifically asked for an XL box, which was shown in the listing). I mean, I kinda don't care but I kinda do. It makes no sense to ship two empty boxes. Should I even mention it?
jgrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 07:26 AM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Is your Day-Date Platinum?

I think non Plat. Day-Date comes with L size box.

XL for Plat. model and special model with gem-set.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 07:37 AM   #3
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
I don't want to be dismissive but it is the Diamond District so I feel like that's sort've par for the course. It is a valid thing to contact them about. I am sure other people will say "omg ITs JuST a B0xxX" but I think it is the principle.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 07:52 AM   #4
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

Yes it's platinum (218206). I believe you are correct about that though.
Old 13 January 2023, 07:58 AM   #5
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
I don't want to be dismissive but it is the Diamond District so I feel like that's sort've par for the course. It is a valid thing to contact them about. I am sure other people will say "omg ITs JuST a B0xxX" but I think it is the principle.
Thank you, this is exactly what I'd like to know -- if this is "par for the course." I suspected this may be the case and overall I'm still happy because the price was good and I don't care about the box other than potential resale value possibly.

I'm not sure what can reasonably be done even if I contact him. Shipping two boxes makes no sense. I'm not gonna make a special trip to NYC and I wouldn't want to lug a box around on my next stop up there anyway.

Still seems a little odd he'd purposefully stick it to me for like a couple hundred bucks. We were discussing another piece for my wife as well. Maybe he was pissed he forgot to make me pay for shipping and he saved money shipping a smaller box.
Old 13 January 2023, 08:23 AM   #6
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

The cynic in me thinks he said "He won't know the difference anyway" to himself as he chuckled and sent it.
Old 13 January 2023, 08:30 AM   #7
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

I think the different boxes are for post 2000 watches.

The old Day-Dates all came in the same box.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 08:56 AM   #8
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
I think the different boxes are for post 2000 watches.

The old Day-Dates all came in the same box.
It's like 2009. A picture of the XL box was in the Chrono24 listing.
Old 13 January 2023, 08:58 AM   #9
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The cynic in me thinks he said "He won't know the difference anyway" to himself as he chuckled and sent it.
See that's the thing -- I pulled out Moda listings to negotiate and I specifically specified "XL Rolex box." I take it as a not so subtle fu tbh. I did yell at the guy a bit, long story.
Old 13 January 2023, 09:17 AM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Sell the L box and buy an XL?
Old 13 January 2023, 10:52 AM   #11
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

If you yelled at him I sure hope you are having him send the right box.

Which seller?
Old 13 January 2023, 10:58 AM   #12
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you yelled at him I sure hope you are having him send the right box.

Which seller?
It's a slightly long story, I'm gonna do a full writeup on the experience because it was my first time buying there and think it would be if interest to anyone else trying your luck there for the first time.

I posted this to see if mentioning it to him was petty. Seems I could reasonably mention it. I'd like to give him the ability to make it right before I disclose who I dealt with.
Old 13 January 2023, 11:09 AM   #13
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Well he will certainly know who you are based on your story...either way I think it's valuable to share information regardless of outcome.
"Hey this seller is great" or "wow avoid this one"
Keen to hear more :)
Old 13 January 2023, 11:24 AM   #14
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well he will certainly know who you are based on your story...either way I think it's valuable to share information regardless of outcome.
"Hey this seller is great" or "wow avoid this one"
Keen to hear more :)
I don't think he hangs around here. I couldn't find out much about him here and what I saw was mixed. The full story does contain a bit of hussle on his part to get the deal to happen. Wrong box is certainly not a huge deal. The experience was mixed but overall positive all things considered.
Old 13 January 2023, 11:31 AM   #15
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Just read your write up in the other thread. If that was the short version I am all in to listen to the full version.

Still haven't made up my mind on how I feel about the box. But imagine ordering a pair of shoes online and they come in a plastic bag instead of a box. Like yeah....the watch is way more important than the box but If you're putting that much coin down for a platinum Rolex.... Get the damn details right.
Old 13 January 2023, 12:52 PM   #16
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just read your write up in the other thread. If that was the short version I am all in to listen to the full version.

Still haven't made up my mind on how I feel about the box. But imagine ordering a pair of shoes online and they come in a plastic bag instead of a box. Like yeah....the watch is way more important than the box but If you're putting that much coin down for a platinum Rolex.... Get the damn details right.
Glad you enjoyed my post. It was certainly an adventure and several lessons learned.

The analogy is close but when buying shoes online from individuals, original box is usually specified otherwise you wouldn't expect it. If it's new shoes at a crazy discount it won't mention the box and sure, you might be a little disappointed but they're shoes and you got a good deal. Main difference is that resale value is rarely a consideration for shoes but a major consideration for watch hobbyists. Especially these days when you need to make a decision on a watch purchase having seen/handled a watch once or twice at most, sometimes not even once.

I think a somewhat better analogy for the entire experience is like Peter Luger vs a traditional high end steakhouse. The wait staff there approximates the cordiality of a Jewish deli. They may be rude, maybe treat you a bit like dirt, but the food may be well worth it. The traditionally steak house will have impeccable service, make you feel like a million bucks, but the steak might just not be at the same level. For steakhouses, I prefer the latter. For a $60k watch, to save a few k I'm happy with the former. In fairness, the traditional steakhouse would be an AD in this analogy and that experience isn't even available these days for many watches.
Old 13 January 2023, 05:05 PM   #17
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I guess if I’m buying a platinum DD, I’d want it perfect full set not bits and parts of mismatched stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 11:08 PM   #18
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

I bought mine at AD early 2022. I got the normal size box and I had the same question about whether I should say something or not. I opted not to say anything.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 09:00 AM   #19
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
I bought mine at AD early 2022. I got the normal size box and I had the same question about whether I should say something or not. I opted not to say anything.
If the AD is local I think you should feel free to bring it up even now. Might as well have the right box in case you ever want to sell or trade it. They're a freakin AD it's not like the person who picked out the wrong box for you is keeping the money. Even if they are, Rolex corporate would not look very highly on this practice. I don't think you'd damage your relationship with the AD over something worth maybe a couple hundred dollars difference in market value.

You could say you just read online that it should be an XL box and yours looks like a L box. I don't see why they wouldn't just swap the boxes with you unless you damaged the box somehow.

With grays it's literally just money and I was dealing with the owner of he business.
Old 16 January 2023, 02:30 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrae View Post
We were discussing another piece for my wife as well.
Unless this makes you question his integrity, and therefore that his watches truly are as he presents them, just ask him to put the one for your wife in the XL box you were promised, and put hers in the L you already have. Problem (practically speaking) solved.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 06:45 AM   #21
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Unless this makes you question his integrity, and therefore that his watches truly are as he presents them, just ask him to put the one for your wife in the XL box you were promised, and put hers in the L you already have. Problem (practically speaking) solved.
That's a good idea actually but his price is a little high on the watch my wife likes and she would actually not be happy if I overpaid. It's like an early 80s 36mm daydate yg Champaign dial with bark motif on bracelet and parts of the case. She likes the bark but I don't think it trades at a premium. Crystal is chipped He wants $16,250 and he'll replace bezel. I think these have been going for $13-14k lately.
Old 25 January 2023, 06:30 AM   #22
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrae View Post
Yes it's platinum (218206). I believe you are correct about that though.
If you purchased this timepiece from MODA and the seller didn't do exactly as he promised you. You can report to Vadim Moda, I am sure he will tell the seller to make it right. He really wanted to make his website (MODA WATCH CLUB) be one of the best website for trading the timepieces for wholesale dealers and retail buyers.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote