The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 17 July 2022, 07:34 AM   #31
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

It’s called an over exposed photo
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 12:19 PM   #32
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
It’s called an over exposed photo
Gotcha ;)
But now I’m intrigued by a cream colored strap on the ADLC. I think it could work. Anyway, enjoy your watch!
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 04:39 PM   #33
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Gotcha ;)
But now I’m intrigued by a cream colored strap on the ADLC. I think it could work. Anyway, enjoy your watch!
We are locked into buying straps from Cartier because of their quick disconnect system at the lugs. Removal of the band is easy, no tools necessary but you have to buy the replacement strap from Cartier. It is my understanding that the replacement rubber strap is around $650!
Old 18 July 2022, 01:45 AM   #34
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Not on sale quite yet, but
https://delugs.com/products/custom-w...tos-de-cartier
Old 13 August 2022, 07:47 AM   #35
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Thank you OP for writing your review.
Like many on here, I had become disillusioned with Rolex and was looking at other manufacturers.
Saw a photo of the 037 and liked the practical nature of the watch overall and especially the ALDC on the bezel which gave additional protection.
The fact that the bracelet and straps could be interchanged without scratches being caused to the lugs.

I dismissed the 039 as being fully ALDC which made it very dark. And didn’t have the bracelet option. Though to be fair, I don’t tend to wear my watches on a bracelet.

I went to look at them both, as well as the blue dial version.

I was really surprised how very well the bracelet was made and it’s weight.

Having tried on the 3 versions, I was very surprised, that it was the 039 that I preferred. It just seemed to fit the wrist perfectly and was so light, that you don’t know you are wearing it!

I have owned the watch for around a month and have been very pleased with it.

As the OP mentioned, the lume is not fantastic, I would say on par with a non sport Rolex. It wouldn’t last the full night. Which is a bit disappointing as I wear it 24/7.

I believe that the sapphire crystal, as it’s concave, would benefit from additional anti reflective coats.

This is my first Cartier watch, and so far have been very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2022, 11:01 AM   #36
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Thank you OP for writing your review.
Like many on here, I had become disillusioned with Rolex and was looking at other manufacturers.
Saw a photo of the 037 and liked the practical nature of the watch overall and especially the ALDC on the bezel which gave additional protection.
The fact that the bracelet and straps could be interchanged without scratches being caused to the lugs.

I dismissed the 039 as being fully ALDC which made it very dark. And didn’t have the bracelet option. Though to be fair, I don’t tend to wear my watches on a bracelet.

I went to look at them both, as well as the blue dial version.

I was really surprised how very well the bracelet was made and it’s weight.

Having tried on the 3 versions, I was very surprised, that it was the 039 that I preferred. It just seemed to fit the wrist perfectly and was so light, that you don’t know you are wearing it!

I have owned the watch for around a month and have been very pleased with it.

As the OP mentioned, the lume is not fantastic, I would say on par with a non sport Rolex. It wouldn’t last the full night. Which is a bit disappointing as I wear it 24/7.

I believe that the sapphire crystal, as it’s concave, would benefit from additional anti reflective coats.

This is my first Cartier watch, and so far have been very happy with it.

Hey Tony,
Glad you are happy with the 039. I also tried on the 037 in the store at the same time and preferred the 039, however, my brother in law bought the 037 and loves it.
Also became disillusioned with Rolex, just refuse to pay over MSRP for a watch.
I have never removed the rubber strap, the black alligator strap is still unused but I have played around with the quick disconnect and it really is a pleasure not to have to use tools and scrape up the lugs. Unfortunately, Cartier replacement rubber straps are around $650, a ripoff, so hoping the rubber wears well. Wore it tonight when I took the wife out for dinner. I saw a man wearing a Rolex Sub next to me, it really stands out, I think the 039 flies under the radar.
Wear it in good health.
Old 26 August 2022, 07:20 AM   #37
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Question: is the “Alligator Leather” strap actually alligator? Or cow hide made to look like Alligator? Note that Cartier describes the strap for the Santos-Dumont Skeleton Watch as “Alligator-skin”. It also looks different in the photos from the “Alligator Leather”…softer.
Old 26 August 2022, 07:59 AM   #38
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Question: is the “Alligator Leather” strap actually alligator? Or cow hide made to look like Alligator? Note that Cartier describes the strap for the Santos-Dumont Skeleton Watch as “Alligator-skin”. It also looks different in the photos from the “Alligator Leather”…softer.
The Cartier website calls it “black alligator leather”
I assume it is made out of alligator.
Old 27 August 2022, 09:39 AM   #39
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Cartier website calls it “black alligator leather”
I assume it is made out of alligator.
I have my suspicions. Also, all of the straps have identical patterns from what I’ve seen. Seems strange.
Old 27 August 2022, 09:11 PM   #40
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

So maybe they are made of 2 different materials
Same family of watches, parts can be different to show differences in product line
Old 7 December 2022, 11:59 PM   #41
Aleph-Null
"TRF" Member

love this watch - the rubber strap is perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aleph-Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 06:59 PM   #42
taxidriver
"TRF" Member

Congrats great watch. Before i was not a Cartier fan too. But due to the crazy price of rolex, ap and patek i had to try other brands. Just recently i was able to acquire santos 2tone medium to my wife. Lovely watch its design is striking. Before my wife is eyeing the ballon, but when we had the chance to see the santos, my wife changed her mind hehe. I have tried the large blue face dial. But to big for my 6.75 in wrist or may be i don’t want to spend 2x. One
cartier for my wife is enough for now.

Sharing my wife 2tone medium santos

taxidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 07:37 PM   #43
Chicco69
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmt BLNR, SMP300M,
Quote:
I normally do not write a review but I did not see one of these watches and have been a Rolex buyer in the past. So this review is first impressions and wearing watch for a few hours.

Short Back Story: I normally buy Rolex, but I refuse to pay grey prices for hard to get SS Sport models. I do not have a relationship with a Rolex AD, so my chances are slim. I decided to look elsewhere for my next luxury piece. Just by chance I ran across this from a dealer on TRF

This review will be mostly first impressions because I have had the watch on my wrist for just a few hours.

The watch is light, sleek, and very stealthy looking. The all black on the bezel and case make it like no other Santos model I have ever seen or liked in the past. It comes with 2 straps, a rubber and black alligator. The straps are easy to remove at the lugs and clasp with just a push of a button. The rubber strap which is on the watch now is thicker at the top near the lugs and thinner as you move towards the deployment clasp. The small screws on each side of the strap are very interesting. I suspect the rubber strap will stretch over time because of the thinness of it. Cartier has you locked into one of their straps because of the way the strap slides in at the lugs. The rubber strap is very comfortable, have not tried the alligator strap, it is also thin and beautifully appointed. The watch is thin so it slides easily under a long sleeve shirt and I think looks very cool with a short sleeve shirt on. Cartier boxes are beautifully made and fit so nicely together.

Cartier states the material on the bezel and case is ADLC (Amorphous Diamond-Like Carbon). They say it is highly elastic, hard and extraordinary smooth. They say it is scratch free (we shall see) and finger print proof. So far so good on the latter. The 0039 is all black (bezel and case). Another version is the 0037 which has the black bezel but more of a SS look on the clasp. I think the all black is the way to go. If you want the other version (0037) it comes with the rubber strap and metal bracelet. You would not buy that bracelet for the 0039 because the colors don't work.

The Cartier warranty is 2 years on the movement, but you can go online and extend it to 8 years, who does not like that?

As stated above the watch comes with 2 bracelets and 1 deployment clasp. Each bracelet, the rubber or alligator has small holes in it for the clasp to catch and it does not need to be cut, it slides under the strap very neatly. Here are some pictures I previously posted on an Incoming thread. My pictures are just fair, especially the black alligator strap, it is really a nice dainty piece, well stitched. There is a small metal tool that comes with the watch. I do not know what it is there for, perhaps it is for the metal bracelet version.

Very nice watch, I had it but sold as too big for my 6.75 wrist. Always been wondering why Cartier does not offer these versions also on the medium size, I would buy it immediately
Chicco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 11:06 PM   #44
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I think if they made the watch in a Medium it would be too small for most men’s wrist.
It is a relatively thin watch, not much bulk to it. Very lightweight.
On the Cartier website the WSSA0039 is 39.8mm wide
Old 12 March 2023, 11:23 AM   #45
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone wanting to buy a Breitling piece can PM me for an authorized dealer who gives really good prices on both Cartier and Breitling.
Old 18 March 2023, 01:31 PM   #46
sgwatchobsession
"TRF" Member

Great review, I've always loved the santos line but have gravitated towards the older carree's and galbees
sgwatchobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 08:42 PM   #47
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

My son just bought this bad boy, loves it (WSSA0048). Comes with the metal as well as blue rubber strap. The bezel and dial are very interesting.

Cartier not only has the strap/band removal easily done, but now removal of links to size the watch is easy, no tools necessary

All you need is a finger nail to adjust the links.

https://www.userguide.cartier.com/ho...metal+bracelet
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BD5BB74F-EAF4-4E4E-A98D-AC7540C44ACE.jpeg (31.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 23 March 2023, 07:16 PM   #48
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

An additional thought: I keep seeing video reviews of this watch on Youtube. The biggest complaint is that they would like to see this reference in a “medium” size because this is a large. I disagree. The diameter is 39.8mm and the watch is very flat. When you put this together, the watch does not wear large at all and in fact a medium version would be too small on a man’s wrist. If you are interested in this piece or the WSSA0048 as referenced above, give it a serious look.
Old 29 May 2023, 10:09 PM   #49
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Again, I have a Cartier AD who will give you a nice discount.
A few members have used him already.
Just PM me.
Old 9 July 2023, 04:41 AM   #50
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Take a look at the green dial with green alligator strap, very interesting.
Old 18 July 2023, 01:55 PM   #51
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My son just bought this bad boy, loves it (WSSA0048). Comes with the metal as well as blue rubber strap. The bezel and dial are very interesting.

Cartier not only has the strap/band removal easily done, but now removal of links to size the watch is easy, no tools necessary

All you need is a finger nail to adjust the links.

https://www.userguide.cartier.com/ho...metal+bracelet
I really like the blue ceramic bezel, as many ppl are saying that the steel bezel can get scratches very easy.
wp000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 08:31 PM   #52
htff
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 18078
Black colour watch - all day all night~