The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 1 January 2023, 07:21 PM   #1
Jimba78
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
New Member - Melbourne - First Impressions local ADs

Hello hushed horological sanctuary. This is my first dalliance with Rolex. My other vice is high-end footwear and having finally extracted myself from that rabbit hole I'm trying to tread gingerly into the next burrow.

Yah. "Trying". Research done, model (kind of) chosen, I visited the four major ADs in Melbourne and submitted my "expression of interest" for a DJ 41mm.

I have no history with them and at this point I realise my plight might be a fanciful one. Still, fella's gotta try, right?

Here's my impression of each AD - with the caveat that everyone's experience is as different as the reps who work there and I was figuring out the correct etiquette as I went.

Watches of Switzerland, Collins St., Melbourne

As with all the ADs, I walked in with no appointment and was assigned a rep who sat me down at a Rolex display counter and extracted key bits of info. i.e. have I owned one before, and why I want to own one? We got straight into the nitty-gritty around configuration. I probably came across a bit green. She was fair, friendly, but not too familiar; although, super informative and helped me lock down the config. I now chase. She sent me a confirmation email of my expressed interest with model deets.

Boutellier Montres, Collins St.

Possibly the new kid on the AD block. It was less crowded than WoS and felt more intimate. My assigned rep, after extracting the key bits of info. took an interest in my work, family and in particular my interest in footwear and we spent a bit of time discussing the mutual craftsmanship and she took my through the eye-opening production process. I felt we got on really well. No confirmation email was sent.

Kennedy's, Chadstone

Underwhelming. I was taken to a nondescript counter. I was asked what model I was interested in. Details were taken. A vacant smile was given and I was sent on my way. The rep didn't introduce herself. No watch was produced or business card offered. They may have been busy but I've had more enjoyable encounters ordering coffee. No confirmation email was sent but my junk mail is getting a workout.

Hour Glass, Collins St.

Greeted by the rep who took me upstairs to the Rolex mezzanine and offered refreshments. She came across as warm and energetic and when I told her the DJ model I was chasing she unsurprisingly told me I'd have to give details, but did pull out a 36mm that was available in Oystersteel and Evergold, which looked a bit tiny on my spinach-eating can poppers. She was kind enough to show me a few more different models and provided me with her business card as well as the confirmation email. I did feel a little more confident walking out, and this may have been influenced by the gent next to us who picked up his GMT Master II, but ultimately time will tell and I am realistic by how these things roll.

Whether or not any of these visits will bear fruit, only time will tell, but I'm not expecting a call any time soon. It was an education, if anything, and the Melbourne-based ADs were nothing but professional and courteous. If I had my time over I would have been a little more confident (read prepared) in my first visit to WoS. I'll check in at the three Melbourne stores from time to time over the next 12-months and if I ever get that faithful call I'll let you all know.. or else flex the new IWC (?).
Jimba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 02:05 AM   #2
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to TRF
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 04:32 AM   #3
Jimba78
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post