The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 January 2023, 08:41 AM   #31
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Seems like a great innovation and of course and nice looking watch, I really like it.

Image from Relozo.com

Image from Relozo.com

https://relozo.com/omega-premiers-th...-super-racing/
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 08:47 AM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
The accuracy is cool but how many people are buying a mechanical watch of the accuracy.
I have always taken accuracy into consideration as i've always respected performance that's easily measured.
After all, what else is there to marvel other than technical innovations that are masterfully implemented and improve the user experience? Especially when they result in tangible improvements.
Old 27 January 2023, 08:51 AM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qristian View Post
Just another Speedmaster. Not interesting. I don`t think mechanical watches need to be that accurate. That is why we have Quartz watches.
Go stick to your Quartz watches then.
There are plenty of them around and you needn't bother spending serious money on the higher end watches with higher end Quartz movements.
You have found your nirvana
Old 27 January 2023, 09:04 AM   #34
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I guess I'm a little shocked by the strong negative reaction (not that there is negative reaction, but how dismissive some have been).

The 44mm, 21mm lug width is the same as the Dark Side, Grey Side series. So nothing new in that department.

The lead is being buried somewhat though in that the new technology will probably propagate through the Omega line. If so, that's going to be a huge improvement across a whole bunch of Omega's lineup.

So if you're not impressed by how this movement is cased up, I'm sure as more watches employ this movement, the overall improvement in accuracy up and down the lineup will be impressive.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 12:52 PM   #35
zuckuss86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I guess I'm a little shocked by the strong negative reaction (not that there is negative reaction, but how dismissive some have been).

The 44mm, 21mm lug width is the same as the Dark Side, Grey Side series. So nothing new in that department.

The lead is being buried somewhat though in that the new technology will probably propagate through the Omega line. If so, that's going to be a huge improvement across a whole bunch of Omega's lineup.

So if you're not impressed by how this movement is cased up, I'm sure as more watches employ this movement, the overall improvement in accuracy up and down the lineup will be impressive.
Agreed! Same size as DSOTM and their current racing lineup.

What I notice is the price increase! Caliber 9900, 44.25mm racing with bracelet is $8,750...and this jumps to $11,000.

Big jump...
zuckuss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 12:56 PM   #36
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I think this is a cool release and I’m always happy to see new and improved tech that will roll out into more Omega watches. This specific watch isn’t for me, but I do think it plays really well to the racing vibe. A lot of cool little details. The honeycomb dial looks really interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:07 PM   #37
tcpx
"TRF" Member

The design is underwhelming for me and the watch is much too large for myself, but as others have mentioned - this tech is inevitably going to make its way to other Omega watches so definitely looking forward to that!
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 07:23 PM   #38
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Omega innovating and leading the way. Keep it up!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 12:40 AM   #39
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Here's a better glimpse at a portion of the movement from Hodinkee.

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 01:29 AM   #40
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

The lock that prevents independent watch makers from servicing the watch may be the biggest "innovation" here. Omega servicing costs about to go to the moon?
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 01:37 AM   #41
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
The lock that prevents independent watch makers from servicing the watch may be the biggest "innovation" here. Omega servicing costs about to go to the moon?
Exactly. John P. just put out a video discussing this
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 05:02 AM   #42
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
Why not give Omega the option to launch the watch first, before we complain about a special screw-driver or how maintenance will be managed.
Furthermore, wouldn't be an issue until first warranty expires in about 5 years.

Saw the video as well, and think he is creating a problem that currently does not exist or might never become an issue
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 05:30 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

While I wouldn't put it beneath Omega or the Swatch Group to try to force customers to Omega for servicing, I think we're making too many assumptions too early.

The tooling necessary to service the watch may be purchasable from Omega down the road when the movement propagates throughout the line. We don't know that for sure.

But even I would probably go to Omega anyway to service a high end Omega watch. I'm not sure I would trust anyone else. So for me, it's not a big issue.

For people like Delray Watch, maybe it is an issue because they would like to service in-house and keep the costs down as they try to checkout, adjust, and resell the watch for a profit, but I'm not sure the average collector needs to worry about that.

My guess is that the tooling will be gradually sold to those wanting to service these new watches. My guess also is that it's more than a tool. There's probably a system that can make the very minute adjustments necessary to keep the movement within that +2 spd spec.

The keyhole on the adjustment device also does not look all that difficult to manufacture. Reminds me of a wheel lock key, and that's not a mountain to climb with regard to making a match.

Need more details as to the plan.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 06:57 AM   #44
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
£10k !!! Loooool

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 07:25 AM   #45
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

I really like them, I like the yellow in the ceramic and also the honeycomb pattern. In addition, the new Speedy bracelet also fits here quite well. I also liked the existing racing models. And because of the new possibility to improve the already good rate accuracy, one can only applaud.
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 07:34 AM   #46
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenNikolai View Post
I really like them, I like the yellow in the ceramic and also the honeycomb pattern. In addition, the new Speedy bracelet also fits here quite well. I also liked the existing racing models. And because of the new possibility to improve the already good rate accuracy, one can only applaud.
Agree
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 07:39 AM   #47
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Why not give Omega the option to launch the watch first, before we complain about a special screw-driver or how maintenance will be managed.
Furthermore, wouldn't be an issue until first warranty expires in about 5 years.

Saw the video as well, and think he is creating a problem that currently does not exist or might never become an issue
It looks like even a flat screw driver will work, but if an exact fit tool is necessary it will not be difficult to make if Omega will not sell it to their certified watchmakers.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 08:29 AM   #48
frav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
While I wouldn't put it beneath Omega or the Swatch Group to try to force customers to Omega for servicing, I think we're making too many assumptions too early.

The tooling necessary to service the watch may be purchasable from Omega down the road when the movement propagates throughout the line. We don't know that for sure.

But even I would probably go to Omega anyway to service a high end Omega watch. I'm not sure I would trust anyone else. So for me, it's not a big issue.

For people like Delray Watch, maybe it is an issue because they would like to service in-house and keep the costs down as they try to checkout, adjust, and resell the watch for a profit, but I'm not sure the average collector needs to worry about that.

My guess is that the tooling will be gradually sold to those wanting to service these new watches. My guess also is that it's more than a tool. There's probably a system that can make the very minute adjustments necessary to keep the movement within that +2 spd spec.

The keyhole on the adjustment device also does not look all that difficult to manufacture. Reminds me of a wheel lock key, and that's not a mountain to climb with regard to making a match.

Need more details as to the plan.

Totally agree with you on this.
frav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 10:04 AM   #49
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Yes not convinced we will need Alan Turing for the servicing so we should all calm down on the videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:13 AM   #50
LostAggie
"TRF" Member

I personally am excited and it might be a future buy if they up the WR and different color scheme. I know, I know…. But I can’t spend this much coin and not have at least 100M WR…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
LostAggie is offline   Reply With Quote