The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2023, 06:20 AM   #1
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Rolex to AP

Considering my first AP. Who hear went from Rolex to AP could share impressions. TIA
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 06:26 AM   #2
Reign
"TRF" Member

You’re moving from a tool watch to a highly finished watch but if you don’t care about scratching, use case is largely the same outside of deep sea diving.

For me, once I got an AP I could not be bothered to wear Rolex anymore. The finishing is a notch above and just the way light hits APs is addicting compared to a run of the mill Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 06:35 AM   #3
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Just got an ap recently. It’s a lot nicer than a Rolex finishing wise and makes it amazing to wear and look at. I only really like PM Rolex watches so I enjoy Rolex for the heft and durability in their gold and platinum models
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 07:01 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
use case is largely the same outside of deep sea diving.

AP Diver can check this box, WR good for resistance of 300m and none of us divers are ever getting close to that.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 12:56 PM   #5
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Following this thread too. Curious to hear about AP's timekeeping ability (Rolex -2/+2, Omega master chronometer are pretty good and consistent), after sales service etc.
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 01:43 PM   #6
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xalate View Post
Following this thread too. Curious to hear about AP's timekeeping ability (Rolex -2/+2, Omega master chronometer are pretty good and consistent), after sales service etc.
to be quite honest, my ap diver is the most inaccurate timepiece I own. It doesn't bother me anymore as i grew out of that phase, but if i recall it was always something like + 8-12 seconds a day even after a service.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 02:29 PM   #7
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

As someone else said, Rolex are tool watches, APs aren't.

My Rolex Sub has joined me for snowboarding in Chamonix to rock-climbing in Oman. Why? Because I can't be bothered checking time on my phone while boarding.

Can I do this with an AP RO(O), no, they will not survive it. This is one of the reason why I don't wear my APs everyday, although I want to. They are just too fragile. When I do wear my APs, I notice that I'm way too careful with it, making sure I don't bang it on my desk, tell my tinder dates not to touch it, etc. I enjoy wearing them though, especially my CODE. That thing distracts me during work, and also during dates.

VCs on the other hand are much more durable, the Overseas that is. That's a proper sport watch in comparison with the RO.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Emery
"TRF" Member

Not sure which AP piece you’re looking at, but the RO is a piece of jewellery first, watch second.

Where sports Rolex watches tend to be top heavy, the RO will feel well-balanced throughout.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 03:01 PM   #9
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post

My Rolex Sub has joined me for snowboarding in Chamonix to rock-climbing in Oman. Why? Because I can't be bothered checking time on my phone while boarding.

Can I do this with an AP RO(O), no, they will not survive it. This is one of the reason why I don't wear my APs everyday, although I want to. They are just too fragile. When I do wear my APs, I notice that I'm way too careful with it, making sure I don't bang it on my desk, tell my tinder dates not to touch it, etc. I enjoy wearing them though, especially my CODE. That thing distracts me during work, and also during dates.

VCs on the other hand are much more durable, the Overseas that is. That's a proper sport watch in comparison with the RO.
Telling tinder dates not to touch it is an underrated comment.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 08:30 PM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
….making sure I don't bang it on my desk, tell my tinder dates not to touch it, etc.

Still referring to your watch?

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 08:43 PM   #11
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

DSSD is a beast that keeps the most accurate time. Got a 43mm ROO and while I liked it, and it looked great, I wasn’t liking it that much more than my DSSD. Somehow I managed to be offered a 50th ROC and now I barely put the DSSD on, although I still lean to it over the ROO.
The ROC is smaller (something I’m not usually in favor of given my build), and just looks incredible.
That said, it’s a scratch magnet compared to my DSSD. I won’t sell my DSSD but will sell my ROO eventually, although what I get next is up in the air.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 12:12 AM   #12
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

TMI for a watch forum
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 03:19 AM   #13
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 03:40 AM   #14
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the input.
Old 5 January 2023, 06:29 AM   #15
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I have Rolex, AP, ALS & Patek, all of them are great timepieces and love them all.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 01:09 PM   #16
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

Nice come back haha. Good to see some people with humour here. Yes, still referring to my watch. My office Management doesn't allow strangers (read tinder dates) into the building, so the only thing I can bang on my desk is my watch :(
Old 5 January 2023, 01:10 PM   #17
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
TMI for a watch forum
A little bit of humour will not kill anyone :)
Old 5 January 2023, 05:31 PM   #18
CallumGuida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I bought an AP ROO in November-22 and absolutely love the brand now.

Mines the titanium version and haven’t noticed a single scratch on it yet from near daily wear. I notice I don’t knock it on the desk with the rubber strap as much and it is so much more comfortable despite being bigger than the watches I own and the strap makes it so easy to wear/comfortable.

I set the time to my iPhone on the 12th December and it is keeping time to the minute which is better than any of the Rolex’s I own, despite the claim of +2/-2x

The dial is worlds apart from most Rolex watches and now I love the brand.

Also the main thing I love is you can wear a watch of significant value of high horology and the vast majority of people don’t even know what it is - I love that I can walk around with a lovely timepiece and nobody even bats an eyelid whereas the Rolex draws a lot of attention, feels like I can fly under the radar when I’m out with my family.
CallumGuida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 06:41 PM   #19
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
You mean Rolex to RoyalOak.
I owned an Offshore for a few months and could never get along with the bulkhead/screws design. Nice chunk of gold but damn it was tacky.
Vacheron or A.Lange is a diff story
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 04:18 AM   #20
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
You mean Rolex to RoyalOak.
I owned an Offshore for a few months and could never get along with the bulkhead/screws design. Nice chunk of gold but damn it was tacky.
Vacheron or A.Lange is a diff story
Kind of a tossup between AP RO and VC Overseas, not sure which way I am going. Resale means nothing as I keep my watches.
Old 6 January 2023, 04:49 AM   #21
tifosi
"TRF" Member

About 2 months ago I went from Rolex to AP. Thought I was getting my dream Offshore...the Diver. It lasted about 3 weeks and I went back to Rolex (Submariner). The Offshore was way too chunky and uncomfortable. Fit and finish is great, but if I hate wearing it...it's gotta go.

I still want a RO, but it's gotta be 39mm or smaller, thinner and on a bracelet. Some day...but I'm not selling all my Rolex to fund it this time.
Old 6 January 2023, 05:39 AM   #22
Watchandhoop
"TRF" Member

I started with Rolex and have recently acquired a couple of AP pieces through the past year. I haven't worn any of my Rolexes the whole year. There is something about an AP that is just unbeatable.
Watchandhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 05:41 AM   #23
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchandhoop View Post
I started with Rolex and have recently acquired a couple of AP pieces through the past year. I haven't worn any of my Rolexes the whole year. There is something about an AP that is just unbeatable.
I think I would have felt the same if I got the reference I really want.
Old 6 January 2023, 05:59 AM   #24
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Rolex to AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I think I would have felt the same if I got the reference I really want.

39mm is the way to go no doubt

jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 06:31 AM   #25
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallumGuida View Post
I bought an AP ROO in November-22 and absolutely love the brand now.

Mines the titanium version and haven’t noticed a single scratch on it yet from near daily wear. I notice I don’t knock it on the desk with the rubber strap as much and it is so much more comfortable despite being bigger than the watches I own and the strap makes it so easy to wear/comfortable.

I set the time to my iPhone on the 12th December and it is keeping time to the minute which is better than any of the Rolex’s I own, despite the claim of +2/-2x

The dial is worlds apart from most Rolex watches and now I love the brand.

Also the main thing I love is you can wear a watch of significant value of high horology and the vast majority of people don’t even know what it is - I love that I can walk around with a lovely timepiece and nobody even bats an eyelid whereas the Rolex draws a lot of attention, feels like I can fly under the radar when I’m out with my family.

Thanks for sharing your new (Uk) owner experiences. Which Titanium ROO did you buy recently please?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 11:11 AM   #26
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 12:19 PM   #27
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
I went from Rolex to AP and back to Rolex. I don’t like to baby my watches—I’m more comfortable with Rolex and not too concerned with scratching them or banging it on my desk…etc
FrankNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 12:44 PM   #28
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post

That 15300 is on point!
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 05:45 PM   #29
CallumGuida
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Thanks for sharing your new (Uk) owner experiences. Which Titanium ROO did you buy recently please?

Hi Bud

I tried uploading a pic and even downloaded the tapatalk app and still no joy - DM me your email and il send you a few pics on different straps.

I got the chrono with grey dial and blue subdials.

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A009CA.01.html

CallumGuida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 03:09 AM   #30
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Great and funny input, thanks folks!. This leads me to another AP question. My go to watch currently is a DD 118238 (36MM). I dont have small wrists I just prefer a 40MM or less. I have heard that APs wear "larger" Which size would you recommend for my size preference? TIA