The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 January 2023, 09:13 AM   #31
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
@ade, fantastic pictures, congratz on the strap choices as well :)
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I absolutely agree. Straps really transform the look of either of these watches!!
I have another couple on order to change things up. Love their flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post

A man after my own heart. I only have two Pateks - the 5205G and the 5212A. Ade pretty aptly summarized the major differences, so I do not feel much of a need to further expound. He is 100% correct, the 5205G feels dressier, the 5212A feels more casual. The 5205G feels more like a Patek - it honestly feels / looks like a jewel - the 5212 is approachable but also unimpeachable (provided you like the aesthetics).

In addition to what Ade mentioned, I would think about how this might fit into your collection. Are you planning to wear this daily? If so, I would stick with the 5212A, since it is SS and feels more casual. Is this a special occasion watch that will be put into the rotation? In that case, I'd go with the 5205G.

Further, is this going to be your ONLY Patek? If it is, I would go with the 5205G. It is a classic complication, has an interesting case, etc. If you plan on getting more Pateks down the road, I'd maybe go for the 5212A. It is super quirky and different, and you may end up wanting a PC instead of an AC.
Fully concur with your additional thoughts!
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 01:44 AM   #32
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

I think you two basically summed up everything and now the question is, how do you feel OP? What's your choice?
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 05:46 AM   #33
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Tell you what… get the 5212. I will buy the 5205 from him.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 11:19 AM   #34
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJZS2K View Post
I think you two basically summed up everything and now the question is, how do you feel OP? What's your choice?
Thanks to all the replies, the best part of this forum is to hear the different experiences from members. Even if you are not an owner, its great to hear a perspective which I may not have fully appreciated.

I am fortunate to have several Rolex's in my collection. As several folks noted, the 5212a wears slightly more casually as compared to the 5205g. I was able to try on the 5212a and the dial was absolutely stunning - I was literally blown away with how nice it was. Pictures do not do justice. However, that brown band (that comes with the watch) isn't a great match and doesn't add any style points in my book. The detail of the dial markers and the unique font are really memorizing. Plus the light dial tends to pair well with any color strap.

Given that I am looking to diversify my collection with a slightly dressier piece, I am thinking the 5205g might be a better match. I love the fact that the 5205g has a quintessential PP dial (or at least more so than the 5212). I know the 5212 is a bit more non-traditional/playful, but it might be a better piece if I already had one Patek in my collection. I've tried on the rose gold/green/grey 5205 dial a while back but it was rushed and I wasn't necessarily looking to add a new watch to my collection. I need to try on the 5205g and ensure it fits the bill - based on all the feedback it appears I won't be disappointed.
midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 11:56 PM   #35
Banned

5205g
0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 01:53 AM   #36
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks to all the replies, the best part of this forum is to hear the different experiences from members. Even if you are not an owner, its great to hear a perspective which I may not have fully appreciated.

I am fortunate to have several Rolex's in my collection. As several folks noted, the 5212a wears slightly more casually as compared to the 5205g. I was able to try on the 5212a and the dial was absolutely stunning - I was literally blown away with how nice it was. Pictures do not do justice. However, that brown band (that comes with the watch) isn't a great match and doesn't add any style points in my book. The detail of the dial markers and the unique font are really memorizing. Plus the light dial tends to pair well with any color strap.

Given that I am looking to diversify my collection with a slightly dressier piece, I am thinking the 5205g might be a better match. I love the fact that the 5205g has a quintessential PP dial (or at least more so than the 5212). I know the 5212 is a bit more non-traditional/playful, but it might be a better piece if I already had one Patek in my collection. I've tried on the rose gold/green/grey 5205 dial a while back but it was rushed and I wasn't necessarily looking to add a new watch to my collection. I need to try on the 5205g and ensure it fits the bill - based on all the feedback it appears I won't be disappointed.
The only difficulty with the 5205G is the lug to lug is pretty long. If you have a smaller wrist, you may have some lug overhang.

I think the 5205G is the right choice. In fact, I chose that one first as well.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #37
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
The only difficulty with the 5205G is the lug to lug is pretty long. If you have a smaller wrist, you may have some lug overhang.
That's a good observation. The L2L for 5205 is 49.6mm while the L2L for the 5212 is shorter at 49mm. Suggest OP to try them before pulling the trigger.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 04:45 PM   #38
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

5205R is my choice. Am looking to get one soon!
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 04:55 PM   #39
locao
"TRF" Member

very nice

very nice
locao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 04:40 AM   #40
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all the forum members for their feedback and suggestions. I went with the 5205 as my first Patek!

The complexity of this piece is next level. From the gradient blue dial, to the hollow lugs, to the concave shape of the case, the complications, and of course the exquisite movement/exhibit case back, it’s a beautiful watch that really appeals to the new Patek buyer. The more I look at the watch, the more nuisances I discover. The subtleties are well thought out. The side profile is my favorite view and really makes an impression. I’ve read reviews that suggest the watch has a thicker case but it’s all relative. Compared to a Daytona, the 5205 has a thinner profile and fits nicely under the sleeve. Perhaps, it’s slightly thicker than a 6119. I must confess, this watch wasn’t on my radar but seeing it in person was amazing as pictures don’t do it justice.

While the black, white, and grey versions are attractive, my personal preference is the blue dial or the recently released olive dial with rose gold. These versions feel a bit more modern and fun yet still ooze sophistication. I find the blue 5204 effortlessly versatile - easy to dress up or down and has unmistakable charm of a Patek.
Old 26 January 2023, 04:50 AM   #41
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations :-)
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 06:39 AM   #42
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Great pick.

I agree with the complexity. It has quite a few iconic design elements as you mentioned, the scalloped case sides and skeletonised lugs and the new apertures Patek have been using.

It’s really a beautiful piece and I think compared to other annual calendars, relatively good value. I’m waiting for the r olive dial. Enjoy
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 06:54 AM   #43
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Win or lose it’s the 5212 I choose!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 07:05 AM   #44
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
for me the 5205 would be my choice
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 09:49 AM   #45
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Win or lose it’s the 5212 I choose!
Perhaps a little photographic inspiration may sway your vote
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6EF05AAC-FB98-40DD-AAF1-73A1EC32DD13.jpeg (40.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 26 January 2023, 10:00 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats! You chose well.
Old 26 January 2023, 10:06 AM   #47
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congratulations! I owned the same blue 5205 for a while and it was such a lovely watch with that gradient dial.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 10:13 AM   #48
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Nope! I like the drilled lugs though.

AC I have 5146 and 5960, too many already!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 10:20 AM   #49
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats! You chose well.
Old 26 January 2023, 06:29 PM   #50
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
Quote:
Congratulations! Wear it in good health

On to important questions… what’s going to be your 2nd Patek?
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 06:46 PM   #51
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Excellent choice, you have mentioned something very true: you will definitely discover more and more details that make it a high-end model and this pleasure will still be there each time you look at the time. Wear it in the best of health :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote