The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2023, 03:23 AM   #1
vikzzz
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Bought the 007 edition but now thinking..

I was transiting through Dubai airport recently and picked up the new 007 edition seamaster. Costed around $9000 or so in USD.

Now I wonder if I made a mistake because some of the Rollies can be had for roughly 10k. Also most of my social circle doesn't know much about Omegas or the 007 edition. The same seamaster seems to run for about 4-5k.

Thoughts?
vikzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 11:31 AM   #2
seriously_watch_this
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today a Yachtmstr
Bought the 007 edition but now thinking..

That’s the same inner-argument I always have with myself…I love Omega…have 5…but at $10k and up, you’re starting to get into entry Rolex/JLC/Cartier territory. There are some really nice, older Oyster Perpetuals that can be had starting at $8k, as well as new Zenith chronos, in that $8-10k range.

It’s also tough because you can easily get a 15-25% discount on many current-ish Omegas pretty easily (007 limited editions may be an exception), if you wait a while. That being said, I over-paid for my Green Seamaster, because I ordered it on day 1.

At the end of the day, it’s about what you like and what you’ll wear. If you’re a really huge Bond fan, it’s an awesome watch. If not…then it’s just a really expensive Seamaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seriously_watch_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 11:43 AM   #3
GMTNYC3790
"TRF" Member

I think the animation on the back of the watch alone is a complication that Rolex or JLC would never try, and for that I commend Omega. I have several Rolex and one thing I learned is Rolex makes a great watch, and it maintains value. But as for excitement, I would much rather have an Omega, JLC, IWC etc
GMTNYC3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 12:10 PM   #4
Navin Johnson
"TRF" Member

Are we talking about the 60th or the NTTD?
Navin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 12:27 PM   #5
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
It sounds like your dilemma is that you bought the bond seamaster, but maybe it won't have as much clout within your circle, so you'd rather buy some -insert any rolex here- because it would get you more clout..

Why did you buy the Omega in the first place? If you genuinely like it, that should be all that matters, unless you buy for others and not yourself.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 03:39 PM   #6
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
Are we talking about the 60th or the NTTD?
The NTTD. The 60th has barely been released and costs about $8k. It's essentially on an allocation basis right now with the OB's. I've only seen 2 maybe 3 people get one so far all in the UK.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 05:54 PM   #7
shalako
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, you’ve bought a superb watch but If your primary concern is about impressing your social circle then you have made a big mistake, you should buy the Rolex, irrespective of whether you even like it because you can then spend your time on the Rolex forum discussing prices but most importantly bragging rights amongst your social circle.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 09:39 PM   #8
Navin Johnson
"TRF" Member

I have no regrets with my NTTD Seamaster. It’s a very unique watch, and the colors, along with the titanium case and bracelet all come together beautifully. Who knows if they will make another one like it again, and this model is likely going to be discontinued soon. As far as brand recognition compared to Rolex? I could care less who knows what kind of watch I’m wearing. I think it’s better that way.
Navin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 10:38 PM   #9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikzzz View Post
Also most of my social circle doesn't know much about Omegas or the 007 edition.

Thoughts?
Don’t buy the watch for them, buy it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 12:33 PM   #10
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I think you did great, it's an awesome piece. Today I was admiring how beautiful, light, versatile, & unique it is. I get what you're saying. In where I'm from rolex is extremely popular as well. But how I see it is, this is one of my favorite omega and to people who are into watches will know what it is and if they do it will sparks a better convo that someone noticing my rolex as well. That being said I do have a couple of rolex as well.

kentheevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 01:13 PM   #11
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I am a big fan of this watch. Unfortunately I can't seem to get comfortable with the price. IMO, it is way overpriced for me to pull the trigger.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 01:32 PM   #12
Cliffnopus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126621 Yacht
Start weaing it daily with a tux; your circle will notice.
Old 11 January 2023, 03:02 PM   #13
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Should be called NTTB "No Time To Buy" seeing as how many express misgivings about the price and decision to purchase this piece
Old 11 January 2023, 08:01 PM   #14
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
I bought this recently, sometimes I think we overthink things. If you like and afford, buy it, if you don't, don't. If you have buyers remorse, well that can happen, I have had it happen to me across many brands including Rolex. Sit with it for a while, if the remorse goes away then you have yourself a wonderful watch, if not trade it for something else. I really like mine. I also bought tax free through an airport so you have taken some of the heat out of the depreciation
djtheot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 08:25 PM   #15
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
It sounds like your dilemma is that you bought the bond seamaster, but maybe it won't have as much clout within your circle, so you'd rather buy some -insert any rolex here- because it would get you more clout..

Why did you buy the Omega in the first place? If you genuinely like it, that should be all that matters, unless you buy for others and not yourself.
Agreed,
2loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2023, 11:31 PM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Should be called NTTB "No Time To Buy" seeing as how many express misgivings about the price and decision to purchase this piece

For the record I'm not a fan of this watch. I've seen it several times at my AD. Seems like a mishmash of different design features all thrown onto one watch. And the price is just too high for what it is. I know many people love it but this is one that I have consistently had no interest in.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 01:14 PM   #17
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I don't have a single friend that knows anything about any watch brand. If you bought it to impress friends and it doesn't, then bad purchase. If you bought it because you like it, then enjoy it. You can't chase the pricing game, it's always up and down. Personally, I think Rolex is way over rated now; I really like the watch you bought.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 01:49 PM   #18
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
As many here have mentioned, get a watch for you, not for its perceived status. That said I’m reluctant to buy Omegas from ADs since most of their line drops in value and good deals can be had picking one up second hand—not that watches are an investment, but I rather not pay the AD premium plus taxes.
FrankNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 08:58 PM   #19
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
I have no regrets with my NTTD Seamaster. It’s a very unique watch, and the colors, along with the titanium case and bracelet all come together beautifully. Who knows if they will make another one like it again, and this model is likely going to be discontinued soon. As far as brand recognition compared to Rolex? I could care less who knows what kind of watch I’m wearing. I think it’s better that way.
Amen.
Old 13 January 2023, 03:45 PM   #20
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

As already stated if your goal was to impress people you should have bought the Rolex. Actually if you really want to impress people get a Patek or AP or VC. You bought a great watch, who cares what people think.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 08:54 PM   #21
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
As already stated if your goal was to impress people you should have bought the Rolex. Actually if you really want to impress people get a Patek or AP or VC. You bought a great watch, who cares what people think.
Or... remember Joey in Friends... when he bought all the Porsche clothing/gear...

Something like that would really work... no, really...

Old 15 January 2023, 04:54 AM   #22
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikzzz View Post
I was transiting through Dubai airport recently and picked up the new 007 edition seamaster. Costed around $9000 or so in USD.

Now I wonder if I made a mistake because some of the Rollies can be had for roughly 10k. Also most of my social circle doesn't know much about Omegas or the 007 edition. The same seamaster seems to run for about 4-5k.

Thoughts?

Well, you know it…

Just enjoy the watch and forget about others.

mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 05:11 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 262 View Post
Don’t buy the watch for them, buy it for you.

Aptly stated from the new member

Welcome to the forum OP.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 01:27 PM   #24
Cassidyanne
Banned

Its a beautiful watch but many ADs sell them at hefty discounts. I bought one from my AD, when they first came out, for$7700. As much as I loved the look, it just didn't feel right on my wrist........we all know the complaints about the Milanese bracelet.
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 12:16 AM   #25
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I really like the look of this watch but I do feel it is a little expensive, and more importantly I prefer a date on my watches.
I like the Milanese bracelet. I have one on my Breitling Superocean Heritage and it makes the watch pop in the sunlight.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 09:43 AM   #26
TedOnTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM00927
Glorious!
TedOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 12:09 PM   #27
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Basing your decisions on whether or not they please your friends shows a certain lack of self-confidence. The watch isn’t the problem.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 12:52 PM   #28
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

It’s a no for me. I tried it on, and the bracelet is terrible. It’s wears extremely uncomfortable. I do like that it doesn’t scream bond watch, and the color scheme is pretty unique and cool. But definitely not a $9k watch.

Also not to say that demand is everything, but gives an indication on the “popular opinion” of the watch. Which is you can walk into any omega boutique and they’ll have it available. They might pretend like they don’t initially or not have it out on display, but every boutique or AD I’ve been in had it.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 02:46 PM   #29
APhound
"TRF" Member

You got an awesome watch that I would rather own than any $10k Rolex.

No matter what you buy, ever, someone else will always have/ get something better/ shinier/ newer. You’ll never be happy that way.

There’s always going to be someone with a more expensive watch and there will always be someone with a cheaper watch. (This doesn’t just apply to watches ;) )

Enjoy what you have!

(I need to remind myself this all the time)

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:45 PM   #30
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you are Rolex's target market. Sell the Omega and get a Rolex.