The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 January 2023, 04:13 PM   #1
logo
"TRF" Member

321 production capacity vs service capacity

Just a random thought, we know that current 321 production is slow. We don’t know how many have been produced or how long Omega will offer this movement, but I’ve seen and heard estimates somewhere around 2000 units total so far across the SS, Platinum and Canopus models.

Now considering Speedmaster production with the original 321, some estimates place the 105.003 at a total of about 15,000-20,000 units, with maybe 120,000 Omega watches including other reference numbers with the original 321 in total. https://www.watchbooksonly.com/artic...ch-production/

Considering this, will Omega produce more SS 321 Ed Whites than they ever made of the real 105.003, or will they cut off production of the 321 before then? Since original 321 movements are Switzerland-only for service in addition to the current 321 where there are just a handful of individuals building these, I’d have to think that at some point Omega would not have capacity to make so many new ones.

Anyways just random musings, curious to hear other thoughts, new OB updates on these and of course, photos :). Here’s mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F6F59C6C-30C8-4D4D-A431-B22837273FFD.jpeg (213.3 KB, 409 views)
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 03:22 AM   #2
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I wouldn't presume that Omega has a master plan. They currently sell every one they make with ease. The 'list' keeps growing. And it's still the STAR in their line-up.

I have no doubt that demand will remain insatiable as long as they limit supplies.

I see no reason they would curtail production any time soon.

Now in respect to the Snoopy.... I suspect its days are numbered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321EWr.jpg (256.5 KB, 371 views)
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 05:25 AM   #3
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Yes my guess is that the Snoopy 50th will stop soon and there will remain a trickle of the 321. I hope more people can get the 321 it's a stupendous watch.
Old 14 January 2023, 05:57 AM   #4
JPizzzle
"TRF" Member

As others have mentioned, I suspect the 321 would remain in the permanent line up under limited production. It would be surprising to have them end the production of what many would call the "quintessential moonwatch." It would be strange to see the 50th snoopy continue on permanently. At most, I would think a 5 year run for the snoopy, but many are predicting less. If Omega skips a 55th anniversary for the Snoopy, which I feel would make sense, then perhaps it could hang out a bit longer leading into a 60th. Really though-who knows!
JPizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 02:38 AM   #5
logo
"TRF" Member

I agree that there is certainly demand to support ongoing 321s being made and it should continue to be offered, but I guess I wonder about Omega capacity to actually make them and (eventually) service them. Don’t they only have a handful of watchmakers exclusively in Switzerland who are able to work on the 321? I’ve not heard anything about increasing 321 capacity by Omega, so I’d think that eventually this bottleneck if not corrected would halt production and the ability to service 321 watches in any timely fashion, regardless of consumer demand.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:56 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It's a good question @logo ...

If we use 2000 as the annual rate of production. In theory if every owner eventually sends their watch in for "recommended service", they will have to service just as many watches as they produce which in my mind is a doubling of capacity just to remain flat

Personally, I hope it remains a limited production reference. I hope Omega feels the same as they really have re-created something awfully special here.

I can't compete with you folks, my picture taking ability is challenged Here are two of my favorites

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 02:58 AM   #7
JPizzzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I agree that there is certainly demand to support ongoing 321s being made and it should continue to be offered, but I guess I wonder about Omega capacity to actually make them and (eventually) service them. Don’t they only have a handful of watchmakers exclusively in Switzerland who are able to work on the 321? I’ve not heard anything about increasing 321 capacity by Omega, so I’d think that eventually this bottleneck if not corrected would halt production and the ability to service 321 watches in any timely fashion, regardless of consumer demand.
Who really knows what they have or haven't done in terms of training watchmakers. However, I would guess that when needed they would train additional watchmakers to learn the movement to meet the need for servicing, which for most is still 2-3 more years out. I also think Omega will continue to roll it out at the current production speed to keep demand and desirability high, especially since the buyers for a 321 are much more limited and niche than say something like a Daytona.
JPizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 03:13 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
2000 is their stated capacity annual production but there's no way Omega has come anywhere close to producing that many. My guess is they've produced less than 500 a year based on how few boutiques in the US are getting. The Houston OB through Q3 2022 has received 5 EW 321's since production began.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 07:19 AM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Are these boutique only?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #10
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Are these boutique only?
That has been the consensus - I have not heard of one being allocated through an AD yet.
Old 18 January 2023, 01:52 AM   #11
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
2000 is their stated capacity annual production but there's no way Omega has come anywhere close to producing that many. My guess is they've produced less than 500 a year based on how few boutiques in the US are getting. The Houston OB through Q3 2022 has received 5 EW 321's since production began.
Wow that is not many. So basically one EW321 every ~6 months.
Old 18 January 2023, 06:05 AM   #12
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Wow that is not many. So basically one EW321 every ~6 months.
I would totally agree. The number of master watchmakers manufacturing these watches is commonly quoted as 6! Apparently it takes a watchmaker 2.5 days to manufacture one timepiece from scratch, twice assembled and cleaned before being passed for allocation. That means 2 a week and allowing for 5 weeks holiday per watchmaker, that's 90 timepieces a year made per person.

Based on this, that's 540 movements per year into 3 different watch cases. The 321, platinum 321 and white Canopus Gold.

if this is true and accurate, no way are they manufacturing 2000 units a year in the stainless steel model. This watch is seriously underrated and definitely manufactured in seriously low volume. Bearing in mind Rolex manufacture roughly 20,000 Daytonas a year allegedly.

However, love my 321 and it's a fantastic piece. Got offered mine before Xmas because the original buyer bought a new car instead. His loss is my gain
Daytonaboy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 06:10 AM   #13
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That has been the consensus - I have not heard of one being allocated through an AD yet.
I believe these are boutique only, my AD for other brands including Omega advised they would have little to zero chance of supplying even one to a client.
Old 18 January 2023, 06:11 AM   #14
Daytonaboy1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I would say this exactly, that's 500 movements between all types of case material too.
Old 18 January 2023, 11:50 PM   #15
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaboy1977 View Post
I believe these are boutique only, my AD for other brands including Omega advised they would have little to zero chance of supplying even one to a client.
That’s unfortunate.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote