The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2023, 02:52 PM   #1
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Are ADs offering discounts?

Is anyone getting discounts on ladies or men's pieces in cases?
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:55 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Those in cases are not for sale. That 5212 you told me about was not available. There is no discount on any Patek today.

There is no available Patek in my country. I just came back from Kansai and there is none too. Zero inventory. Zilch.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 04:12 PM   #3
bob101
"TRF" Member

Price increases yes, discounts never sadly..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 05:09 PM   #4
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Those in cases are not for sale. That 5212 you told me about was not available. There is no discount on any Patek today.

There is no available Patek in my country. I just came back from Kansai and there is none too. Zero inventory. Zilch.
Hm, tough to believe ADs have no tough to sell inventory ready to buy where you are because few are lining up to buy twenty four collection series watches. Maybe they are playing the artificial scarcity game.
Old 18 January 2023, 05:20 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
Hm, tough to believe ADs have no tough to sell inventory ready to buy where you are because few are lining up to buy twenty four collection series watches. Maybe they are playing the artificial scarcity game.
It's tougher to believe your AD has 5212 available for walk-in customers. I have confirmed and they do not have any for me.
Old 18 January 2023, 05:24 PM   #6
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's tougher to believe your AD has 5212 available for walk-in customers. I have confirmed and they do not have any for me.
Many ADs will ask if you're local and want to meet in person before divulging inventory and allowing you to purchase. Come to california, and I'll give you a tour.

Again, I have pictures of models that are clearly marked reserved (display only) and for sale models that are open for direct purchase (which as you can guess are readily obtainable without premiums from grey).
Old 18 January 2023, 05:37 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
Many ADs will ask if you're local and want to meet in person before divulging inventory and allowing you to purchase. Come to california, and I'll give you a tour.

Again, I have pictures of models that are clearly marked reserved (display only) and for sale models that are open for direct purchase (which as you can guess are readily obtainable without premiums from grey).
I have wasted enough time emailing and then calling Chong Hing for a watch you claimed they have available. There was none. I'm not going to waste anymore time on misinformation.
Old 18 January 2023, 05:42 PM   #8
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have wasted enough time emailing and then calling Chong Hing for a watch you claimed they have available. There was none. I'm not going to waste anymore time on misinformation.
Agreed on my end as well.
Old 18 January 2023, 06:29 PM   #9
Partekular
"TRF" Member

The AD’s are - sensibly - being made to hold stick samples from which to sell by (add you to their lists).

It’s a reaction to the absurdity of going into an AD and not even being able to see a watch! This must drive customers away.

I have heard rumours about Rolex Certified as Preowned being sold by Bucherer 30% above MRSPs - possibly ex-showroom stock…. That would hurt the Grey Marketeers ? No idea if this is true …
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 09:05 PM   #10
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

When I picked up my latest PP last summer, my AD had zero men's PP watches. Ziltch. I had no reason to disbelieve this AD who I have built a solid relationship with. If there is no stock then they'll definitely be no discount!
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 09:33 PM   #11
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
My AD had 1 lady's twenty 4 for sale.. That's it; demand for patek is still incredibly strong despite Rolex demand softening just a bit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:41 PM   #12
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
My AD had 1 lady's twenty 4 for sale.. That's it; demand for patek is still incredibly strong despite Rolex demand softening just a bit. [B][/B]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Maybe due the 10-1 production year to year.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:45 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It's tougher to believe your AD has 5212 available for walk-in customers...
I’d have a hard time believing that as well
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:45 AM   #14
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5212 is such a hot item - I don’t think it’s readily available for sale. Yes, no discount in our AD nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:59 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
The AD’s are - sensibly - being made to hold stick samples from which to sell by (add you to their lists).

It’s a reaction to the absurdity of going into an AD and not even being able to see a watch! This must drive customers away.

I have heard rumours about Rolex Certified as Preowned being sold by Bucherer 30% above MRSPs - possibly ex-showroom stock…. That would hurt the Grey Marketeers ? No idea if this is true …
I thought only watches of 3+ years can be qualified for Rolex CPO?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:11 AM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post

AD's sell showroom stock as new, even 'not for sale display' becomes for sale new stock when they get replacement 'not for sale display' stock. It has always been thus, Rolex and Patek.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:14 AM   #17
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
New policy since late 2019, early 2020: no discount on Pateks.
Old 19 January 2023, 01:17 AM   #18
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same thing I've heard... my AD manager said Dec was really slow due to holidays and factories being on break. They are waiting on shipments to arrive so they can fulfill some past orders. They have absolutely nothing for sale, not even diamond encrusted watches for ladies. I have been bugging him for a 5326G for a while now
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:22 AM   #19
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
No discounts and no inventory at my local AD. All they have are exhibition pieces not for sale.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:25 AM   #20
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I thought only watches of 3+ years can be qualified for Rolex CPO?
I read that too - but Rolex have been said to plan to hold their “not for sale’ watches for 3 years then move them over to the Certified as Pre Owned market - I was suggesting PP may have decided to follow the same route. That way they could keep stock for customers to see as opposed to photos in a catalogue and then sell them later, perhaps taking advantage of the higher grey market prices.
Old 19 January 2023, 01:28 AM   #21
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
AD's sell showroom stock as new, even 'not for sale display' becomes for sale new stock when they get replacement 'not for sale display' stock. It has always been thus, Rolex and Patek.
But the ADs have had no stock beyond a small number of pieces for the last two years or so. Enforcing stock not for sale requirements on ADs, desperate to sell any PP’s they hold, gets around this. Must have been frustrating having a special PP room and no watches in them!
Old 19 January 2023, 01:38 AM   #22
thanyasr
"TRF" Member

I visited 3 ADs in japan this week and 2 ADs in hong kong last week. None of them has any stock for sales.

Btw, i got a rolex from rolex AD in hong kong
thanyasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:58 AM   #23
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Back around 2013-14 you can walk in most Patek ADs and come out with a 5711 with at least a 10% discount. Aquanaut? How many do you want? Lmaoooo

Times have changed lol

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 03:13 AM   #24
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
lol discount.
you can get the catalog for free tho
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 09:03 AM   #25
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I got no discount for my 6119G & 5172 Salmon. Most of the time nothing is available in Patek other than 5227 and some ladies calatrava. Even from the complications range Ads getting only two pieces each year.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 11:40 AM   #26
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Back around 2013-14 you can walk in most Patek ADs and come out with a 5711 with at least a 10% discount. Aquanaut? How many do you want? Lmaoooo

Times have changed lol
How I wish I can travel freely back and forth in time...
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 11:56 AM   #27
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I would be really surprised if there are any men’s Patek that is available on walk in with a discount. Maybe I’m just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but hearing people getting steel sports Rolex on walk in really makes me wonder how real it is as well.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 03:03 PM   #28
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I would be really surprised if there are any men’s Patek that is available on walk in with a discount. Maybe I’m just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but hearing people getting steel sports Rolex on walk in really makes me wonder how real it is as well.
I could see Rolex happening maybe if you get lucky with timing or a SA or pick one of the god awful TT versions. Patek really feels infinitely harder.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 12:35 AM   #29
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Secondary market prices are dropping closer and closer to MSRP. I’m curious if you’d even get MSRP back if you traded one in to a dealer today. I certainly wouldn’t buy one at MSRP without the expectation that I’d ever be able to get that back. I love it, and want one, but it’s a quirky piece that doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
5212 is such a hot item - I don’t think it’s readily available for sale. Yes, no discount in our AD nowadays.

Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 02:09 AM   #30
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I was offered a couple different references over the last month, no discount though (just the opportunity to “build my Patek relationship”). What’ll be interesting is how the price increase coming February 1 will affect AD demand.

Someone else mentioned the 5212’s unavailability yet two are sitting in the lows 40s new on the secondary (before negotiating lower). Once the February price hike comes in to effect, the gap between MSRP and the secondary price will close which will put a true test on the Patek’s current customer base (i.e. whether customers will continue buying at ADs if they can buy the exact reference on the grey market for less). It is plausible Patek wanted this so they could capture more of the secondary price.

An example of this is the new 5270p. An unworn example on EWC for 209 that is now “on hold” so there are still buyers out there. Another is a new 5370p available for 205, a reference my AD made me bend over backwards and beg for (and even then was turned down). Yet, I can readily have it for 25% lower than MSRP right now.

Call me crazy but I see discounts coming back for these higher complication references. It’ll take some time to cycle through the system but I think discounts that used to be had pre-2020 will return in the near future.

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote