The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you do the trade?
Yes 107 36.90%
No 183 63.10%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 January 2023, 02:20 PM   #91
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
No thank you! The meteorite does nothing for me.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 02:21 PM   #92
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
Honestly doesn't look bad at all. My SS GMT looks worse lol.

For the OP. I read all the comments, and I'm also torn but I guess it would come down to how often you wear the watches but most importantly, how much cash you'd have to come out of pocket with in addition to getting rid of most if not all your watches. If you don't wear the watches much and not breaking the bank to do it, I'd say do the trade. But if you are wearing the watches than I'd say pass. Variety is nice.
Yeah, I expected it to be way worse! Especially the clasp.

I wear my Pepsi and Sub all the time--almost even with the Pepsi having the slight edge. Cellini on average once a month. Explorer 3-4 times a month on average, if that, at this point; that was a big honeymoon phase watch for me.

Variety is nice, but I could always build back up into variety--hopefully!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:24 PM   #93
MinMay
Banned

Consolidate into Pepsi Meteorite 126719BLRO?

Keep in mind that Rolex AD will not allow you to purchase the same model again. Your option is grey market
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 03:48 PM   #94
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
So, I think I'd sell them myself on Moda, which makes me nervous, but others seem to have good luck with it.

Hoping to make my final decision over the weekend.
Would love to see pics of anyone else's, as that seems to be what's tipping me over the edge!
I’d be more worried about buying on Moda than selling there…

And as requested, mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:50 PM   #95
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you again for the comments, everyone. I still welcome more. I'm leaning towards doing the deal, and regretably, I really don't think I could work out keeping the Sub. I would definitely be missing the Jubilee option on the Pepsi, but you win some, you lose some. The way the Starbucks is trending, perhaps I could buy it again... maybe even again at retail. Honestly, the Cellini would probably not even be worth selling, so that may would be the one I'd keep.
And it's not like this is my last watch of all time. Within a year or two, I'd probably pick up a Speedmaster or some other SS piece. I just know that it's probably 10+ years before I'll be in a position to get a PM of this caliber--if ever. And my SS watches are just going to go down further in value for the time being. Just seems like the time to strike if I'm going to. And in 20 years, I think this would've looked like the right move.

Those saying get it from an AD--my AD claimed to me today that they've *never* seen one. They also tried to claim they've never seen a meteorite watch, which I think is a lie because I talked to their watchmaker who told me how he sized 1-2 for a customer before.

DavidSW for a trade came back with an offer that wasn't as uncompetitive as previous offers I've gotten from them, but still--I absolutely would not go with them. I don't know how they get watches as any time I've price shopped selling a watch, they've been at the bottom of the offer spectrum.
So, I think I'd sell them myself on Moda, which makes me nervous, but others seem to have good luck with it.

Hoping to make my final decision over the weekend.
Would love to see pics of anyone else's, as that seems to be what's tipping me over the edge!
Sounds like the decision is made and you’ll regret not moving forward. Now, it boils down to convenience in moving out your pieces with a trusted seller versus parting them piece-meal. I’d split the difference and find a trusted seller who’d take them in at a higher price than DavidSW. Time is also money.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 11:10 PM   #96
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Keep in mind that Rolex AD will not allow you to purchase the same model again. Your option is grey market
I didn’t get the Sub from my local AD, but they know I have it. Do you think they’d not sell me one for the first time?
Old 28 January 2023, 12:23 AM   #97
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

And as requested, mine:

Lovely
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 03:48 AM   #98
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
I didn’t get the Sub from my local AD, but they know I have it. Do you think they’d not sell me one for the first time?

If it’s not in their system of record then you’re golden!
Old 28 January 2023, 03:49 AM   #99
MinMay
Banned

Quote:

And as requested, mine:

Nice Porsche!
Old 28 January 2023, 03:51 AM   #100
MinMay
Banned

Consolidate into Pepsi Meteorite 126719BLRO?

I don’t think I can consolidate my collection to 1 grail piece, I would add it but not consolidate them . Need to add my recent Pepsi in the group pics
Old 28 January 2023, 04:11 AM   #101
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post

I don’t think I can consolidate my collection to 1 grail piece, I would add it but not consolidate them . Need to add my recent Pepsi in the group pics
Nice collection, but with Rolex, I feel like they all start to look the same after a while. Go for the trade but shop around with other dealers as I believe around 50k is the going price for a used meteorite and 53K for a fresh one. DavidSW is overpriced in my opinion.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:50 AM   #102
gargamelesp
"TRF" Member

i was in the same boat as you 12hours ago and decided to make the switch.

traded in a pepsi, tt daytona and added cash for a pepsi meteorite. my logic is that i would rather have a super nice watch that costs a lot more first, and it will be a lot less painful to add on cheaper models to the collection later on.

the only problem is that after getting my first pm, the next watch i want is also another pm. this issue didnt exist before the trade was done. but looking at the meteorite, totally no regrets with my decision
gargamelesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 06:03 AM   #103
Corvette
"TRF" Member

Not a huge fan of meteorite dials or white dials in general. Variety is the spice of life!
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 11:29 AM   #104
cts
"TRF" Member

Why won’t your AD allow you to purchase same watch more than once? Things happen over time and ultimately it’s your watch. I’m sure most AD’s will resale to their best customers..
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:56 AM   #105
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamelesp View Post
i was in the same boat as you 12hours ago and decided to make the switch.

traded in a pepsi, tt daytona and added cash for a pepsi meteorite. my logic is that i would rather have a super nice watch that costs a lot more first, and it will be a lot less painful to add on cheaper models to the collection later on.

the only problem is that after getting my first pm, the next watch i want is also another pm. this issue didnt exist before the trade was done. but looking at the meteorite, totally no regrets with my decision
Late reply, but thanks for the details! How are you feeling about it now?
Old 6 February 2023, 03:59 AM   #106
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

All, I've decided to hold off on this trade for now. I kept wearing my Pepsi and Sub, and I just can't bring myself to part at the moment, especially as I watch the SS prices slip down. Plus I like the jubilee bracelet a lot, so being able to have two looks in one watch is a nice plus.

Now, part of me did get to thinking about trading the Pepsi, Sub, and Cellini for a Daytona 116509 WG (not sure if steel dial or blue) or perhaps a 116508 YG. I probably won't do it, but I think that may would scratch two itches at once--the Daytona itch and the PM itch. But still.... I would have the meteorite itch in the back of my head. First-world problems.

Also, when I went to my AD last week, my SA told me he feels really good about getting me a white dial SS Daytona (provided they don't discontinue it). Next month or so will make 2 years since I've requested. The first year he told me by the end of the year, the next year I was strung along, and I'm falling right back into the trap this year.
Old 6 February 2023, 06:31 AM   #107
R35GTR
"TRF" Member

I’d trade all of those for the meteorite GMT if I could also have one a SS Daytona. Don’t think that math works though!
R35GTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:35 AM   #108
R35GTR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdellorf76 View Post
Nice collection, but with Rolex, I feel like they all start to look the same after a while. Go for the trade but shop around with other dealers as I believe around 50k is the going price for a used meteorite and 53K for a fresh one. DavidSW is overpriced in my opinion.
I feel the same way. Dream collection will always have a few different Rolexes but I don’t see the need for 2-3 of essentially the same watch. Instead I’d sell some and get into other brands like VC, AP, PP
R35GTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:38 AM   #109
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
It’s one you wouldn’t be sorry you had once it was on your wrist but then again I like meteorite dials.
C48DA69D-9456-4DE1-90E9-73F340829960.jpeg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:42 AM   #110
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

you just want a hype piece. admit it to yourself. nothing wrong with it.

But keep in mine you're selling pieces you have emotional attachment to.

I wouldn't do it
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 11:08 AM   #111
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
As nice as the Meteorite GMT is, that's way too much to give up. Doesn't balance out at all. Good luck in your decision. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 12:27 PM   #112
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
Quote:
i would support this.
+2
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:23 PM   #113
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepats81 View Post
you just want a hype piece. admit it to yourself. nothing wrong with it.

But keep in mine you're selling pieces you have emotional attachment to.

I wouldn't do it
I don't see it that way. I don't consider a GMT meterorite a hype watch. And he would actually be giving up two absolute hype watches in the LV and BLRO for it.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:28 PM   #114
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Never for those watches.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:50 PM   #115
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
The heart wants what the heart wants. I'd try to keep one SS, even if it was the Exp 1. That has less value than the Starbucks so get rid of the Pepsi, Stabucks, Cellini, and your Tudors.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 12:56 AM   #116
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
All, I've decided to hold off on this trade for now. I kept wearing my Pepsi and Sub, and I just can't bring myself to part at the moment, especially as I watch the SS prices slip down. Plus I like the jubilee bracelet a lot, so being able to have two looks in one watch is a nice plus.

Now, part of me did get to thinking about trading the Pepsi, Sub, and Cellini for a Daytona 116509 WG (not sure if steel dial or blue) or perhaps a 116508 YG. I probably won't do it, but I think that may would scratch two itches at once--the Daytona itch and the PM itch. But still.... I would have the meteorite itch in the back of my head. First-world problems.

Also, when I went to my AD last week, my SA told me he feels really good about getting me a white dial SS Daytona (provided they don't discontinue it). Next month or so will make 2 years since I've requested. The first year he told me by the end of the year, the next year I was strung along, and I'm falling right back into the trap this year.
Some times doing nothing is the best decision

Sounds to me like waiting is the best move.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 01:54 AM   #117
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Glad to see this got revived!

I traded away a lot of the watches mentioned to get my SS Pepsi back. I now just have a 116500LN white Daytona and a Pepsi with jubilee and oyster.

The prices have slumped on the Daytona pretty bad, but if they hadn’t, a couple weeks ago I was going to trade for a meteorite example. I wasn’t ready to give up both and add $3-$8 thousand on top.
Old 3 August 2023, 01:55 AM   #118
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexboy66 View Post
This was exactly what I did, I consolidated my 3 Rolexes (bluesy, 2 tone rootbeer and pepsi jubilee) to get this Pepsi meteorite. I reckon I got 3 in 1 the pleasure of wearing a watch and I’m sure this investment will work out better than holding these 3 sports models. I’d say go for it, you won’t regret it!
If I could do it evenly, I almost definitely would now! Kinda wish I had. But I’m happy with what I have overall!
Old 3 August 2023, 02:03 AM   #119
dgr8dude
"TRF" Member

I did the other way around... sold my 1 watch collection the Sub Smurf White Gold last year after 7 years of ownership. Now have the Pepsi, Blue dial YM, Black GMT LN and the Hulk.... the more the merrier!
dgr8dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 02:23 AM   #120
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Keep the Starbucks and add some cash and trade the other 3