The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2023, 07:06 PM   #1
EUguy
"TRF" Member

5226G vs 5326G

All,

As from the introduction during the Watches & Wonders in 2022, I have really taken a liking to the new style Calatrava's 5226G and 5326G. This was confirmed during a visit to the Rare Handcrafts Exhibition at the Salon in Geneve. I generally prefer yellow or rose gold over white gold but for some reason the case, the dial, the lugs and the numerals/lume color really work well together.

Where I initially preferred the 5326G with its unique combination of the travel time and annual calendar complication, resulting in a gorgeous caseback, I now tend to like the simple dial and thinness of the 5226G more and more. For me that is one of the great things about watches. You develop a liking to certain watches which can change/evaluate over time.

Of course there is quite a price gap between both versions, but setting aside that gap, I am curious what you guys other watch enthousiasts prefer, 5226G or 5326G, and why.

Curious to learn what you all think.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 07:47 PM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think they are both equally good but so different from each other. The 5226 is purely a time only watch which carries the essence of a Calatrava but in a modern fashion, particularly with the black strap. The 5326 combines the best of both annual calendar and the travel time, both of which are really useful complications for people on the go.

For me personally, it boils down to price. I think the 5326 is great but not 2x better than the 5226 and hence unable to justify the premium it has. If money was no object, I would pick the 5326, but since resources are limited, 5226 would be my choice.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 07:53 PM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This watch is certainly a hit and I think it is a very modern interpretation of the Calatrava / annual calendar line with its angular case and clean lines. I do agree this watch just works in pretty much all areas and I do love the textured dial.

Having seen the revolution interview with Thierry Stern, I didn't even need him to say it was inspired by an old vintage camera body, I have a few old cameras myself and its the first thing I thought. So I think thats testament to the execution of this watch.

The watch itself isn't quite for me, not because there's anything wrong with it, just because I love a bit of flare, wether that be the lugs of the 5270, the scalloped case of the 5205 / 95 or the dial and lugs of the world timer.

I'd pick the 5326G, simply because its the perfect watch to live with. Versatile being white metal / WG and having all the complications you would need, ever, for daily use.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 09:19 PM   #4
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Well, it's a very legitimate question as they both have their own appeal.

First, the case (in both watches) is fantastic, in terms of aesthetics (subjective) but also in terms of complex design. It's interesting to see how a difference in size makes them look so different, without having a favorite. For a simple Calatrava (even if the price is not "simple" anymore), this 5226 offers a lot.

I'm very tempted to try to get the 5326G but, for you, I think that it comes to 1/whether or not you like the movement 2/do you enjoy the travel time complication and AC (I don't mention budget and aesthetics as this is up to you).

The movement is just stunning and is the main reason why I would go for this one (the only alternative for this movement today is the 5236P, that I love as well btw). You can have a read here: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/

The problem (for me as a potential buyer) is that I don't bond with travel time complications (I like chronographs the most). It has the new crown setting. But if you do, then this is all good imho.

In the end, you're totally right to take your time while tastes and "understanding" of watches evolve. To ask ourselves what do we like really, is though. We sometimes realize with a certain delay that a detail makes it a no go, especially since this model is new and we are always tempted by this "new" thing.

Take your time and keep us informed :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 02:57 PM   #5
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
they are both great pieces. I absolutely love the 5226g, imo the black date wheel and gradient dial is very striking. compared to the white date dials on the 5326 don't look as good to me. that being said if the 5326 is the piece you desire just get on the list and save until the AD calls.
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 11:02 PM   #6
watchgeezer
"TRF" Member

5326g.
watchgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 12:37 AM   #7
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
5226g looks better from the front and 5326g looks better from the back!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:26 PM   #8
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your valuable insights. They make a lot of sense imho. @Rolexjackson: I had never realized the color of the date wheel on the 5226G and the difference that this makes to the 5326G.

@BP1000: the 5326G is definitely the perfect watch to live with because of the combination of the useful complications, certainly if your lifestyle involves a lot of travel. This is also the conclusion of the interesting article (with amazing pictures btw) that you shared @Vasco! And @BP1000, while I totally appreciate your comment about the lack of flare, for me this is also part of the attraction of the 5226G compared to the 5326G.
It is just a plain and very simple time and date only watch with a beautiful dial.

And @helloworldies: yes, that is definitely true! :-)

Another thing I really like from the 5226/5326 is the fantastic lume. I have some troubles adding photos to my posts on this forum but there are some gorgeous night view pics of both watches on Google.

Let's see what this year's W&W will bring. Maybe it takes away some of the attention from the 5226/5326 as soon as they are no longer considered as the last/newest watches introduced by PP.
Old 31 January 2023, 11:17 PM   #9
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
One thing I would add is the strap option which can change instantly the character of the timepiece. Currently it comes with the original beige nubuck and black straps. I can imagine a cognac and dark brown color strap adding further depth and character into this timepiece with that textured black dial in white gold case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:35 PM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
One thing I would add is the strap option which can change instantly the character of the timepiece. Currently it comes with the original beige nubuck and black straps. I can imagine a cognac and dark brown color strap adding further depth and character into this timepiece with that textured black dial in white gold case.

I saw on IG a 5226 with a light blue strap on it which looked really nice too.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:59 PM   #11
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post

Totally agree. Unfortunately there are not many pictures (yet) available of the 5226/5236 with a non-standard strap, at least I was not able to find those.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:00 AM   #12
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I saw on IG a 5226 with a light blue strap on it which looked really nice too.
Wow, sounds good. If you have that picture or know where on IG to find it, I would love to see it.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:01 AM   #13
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Wow, sounds good. If you have that picture or know where on IG to find it, I would love to see it.
Just do a search there for #5226G and it will pop up, some collector in Asia it looks like who posted it. He even posted where it came from, was some generic strap maker. But looked nice in the photos.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:29 AM   #14
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Just do a search there for #5226G and it will pop up, some collector in Asia it looks like who posted it. He even posted where it came from, was some generic strap maker. But looked nice in the photos.
Found it, thank you. Not my cup of tea (the blue is a bit too hard/light for my liking) but it gives a good idea of the potential of the watch with different straps.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:34 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Found it, thank you. Not my cup of tea (the blue is a bit too hard/light for my liking) but it gives a good idea of the potential of the watch with different straps.
Yeah, do not think I would do it either but could be a nice summer look. Gives an idea on what might be possible with it however and seems various color straps could look nice with the asphalt dial. I think its a very versatile reference and I want one.
Old 1 February 2023, 01:18 AM   #16
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

I tried on both references at the Salon and prefer the 5326. Complications aside, the thing that I noticed the most is that I lost the Clous de Paris detailing around the edge with the thinner 5226 (8.5mm) since it sits so close to the wrist. The thicker 5326 (11.1mm) protruded further off my wrist and so you could still clearly see the Clous de Paris.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:14 AM   #17
JMac6
"TRF" Member

I think 5226 is the play. It’s a field watch design and I think the smaller, thinner iteration is better (if only it was 36-37mm). I find the 5326 to be a mess on the dial side.

This is a great, novel complication, but I’ll wait until it makes its way into a more suitable watch.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:16 AM   #18
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
I think 5226 is the play. It’s a field watch design and I think the smaller, thinner iteration is better (if only it was 36-37mm). I find the 5326 to be a mess on the dial side.

This is a great, novel complication, but I’ll wait until it makes its way into a more suitable watch.
I tend to agree. Not only that but I really do not love how the travel time complication works on it. I have a 5164a and find that so very easy to actually use, where I would see having to take off the 5326 to adjust it.
Old 1 February 2023, 08:57 AM   #19
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I love the 5326 movement. Great set of complications. I don’t love the dial.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote