The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 June 2016, 12:16 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
FPJ ruthenium movements

Hi guys,

Never saw any like these before, different brands make them from what I found but the most incredible I found where from PFJ, I find them amazing, the black of the ruthenium is definitely something special, wanted to share these pics, don't know if I prefer some RG FPJ movements or these but both kinds are just incredible, I know all pics are from the same movement but they show the differences according to the angle and light of the pic, don't know what you think but I find them amazing, I also put other types of resonance movements to see the difference, all amazing of course, my fave being RG and ruthenium

fpjournebs22fly03.jpg

8140283_watch-word-resonance_b0162e1a_m.jpg

04_zpsmk8urn2x.jpg~original.jpeg

1120529840.JPG

202ee1400947e04e59a6d8c901c4801b.jpg

9243205035a1213656cc14655b786630.jpg

file_zps15983501.jpg
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 01:50 PM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

It's really extraordinary.

Why don't other watchmakers make their movements out of solid 18k rose gold like FPJ? It's just so, so nice. And the ruthenium is beautiful, too.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 01:57 PM   #3
lock0ut
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167, Sub 5513
Fantastic!
lock0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 04:46 PM   #4
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
Art. Plain & simple.

adamlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 05:19 PM   #5
KarlS
Banned

I bet the incremental cost on the metal is zilch and just shows such attention to detail
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 05:30 PM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
It's really extraordinary.

Why don't other watchmakers make their movements out of solid 18k rose gold like FPJ? It's just so, so nice. And the ruthenium is beautiful, too.
I totally agree, sure it's more expensive than SS, but a gold movement would add what, 1-3K of metal at most?? And ruthenium is cheaper than gold but more expensive than SS, when you buy watches that cost more than 10K I'm sure most people would be happy and ready to add that sum to have a beautiful movement, SS is nice but these 2 metals are way more amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I bet the incremental cost on the metal is zilch and just shows such attention to detail
Oh I think on a high end watch, 20K or more, yes the cost of gold or ruthenium vs SS would be accepted by the buyers with no problem
Old 10 June 2016, 10:09 PM   #7
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Looks great! However I would prefer to own watch movement made of time tested material. Gold is very soft and can scratch and ding very easily. No idea how these will age in 10/20/30/40 years + and how they can be serviced.
Old 10 June 2016, 11:03 PM   #8
PJ S
Banned

18kt gold can be hardened such that it's quite a bit harder than the brass used in many movements.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 11:11 PM   #9
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Looks great! However I would prefer to own watch movement made of time tested material. Gold is very soft and can scratch and ding very easily. No idea how these will age in 10/20/30/40 years + and how they can be serviced.
If you worry about dinging a watch movement then best stick to sports watches!! If I remember the use of gold has been "time tested" by at least 5000 years. Doesn't corrode, excellent conductor and I could go on!! After 30 years it should have a lovely deep patina!! Where moving parts actually rub against each other steel is used!
Old 11 June 2016, 06:42 AM   #10
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely beautiful, and I love the resonance line
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2016, 08:09 AM   #11
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd make fun of you for this, but I didn't know just how hard rose gold can be (quite hard) until a year ago, either!

The part about aging and service is poorly thought through. It's FP Journe. The Man has a Plan (and has designed his watches to be serviceable centuries after).
Old 11 June 2016, 10:06 AM   #12
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
I'd make fun of you for this, but I didn't know just how hard rose gold can be (quite hard) until a year ago, either!

The part about aging and service is poorly thought through. It's FP Journe. The Man has a Plan (and has designed his watches to be serviceable centuries after).

I only wish he had secured the caseback with a conventional screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2016, 12:47 PM   #13
el1125
Banned

Quote:
I do not disagree w you
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2016, 01:10 PM   #14
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
The movement in PM is a big reason I really like Journe watches and why I would love to add one to the collection someday.
Old 12 June 2016, 04:43 AM   #15
RUK
"TRF" Member

I would stand corrected if the movement uses hardened gold and SS parts for friction. However I'm still not sure about the serviability down the line. Still too early in my opinion. I'm usually an early adopter with most throngs but not in the case of a 30k + watch. Just me , sure that others are different.
Old 12 June 2016, 05:03 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would stand corrected if the movement uses hardened gold and SS parts for friction. However I'm still not sure about the serviability down the line. Still too early in my opinion. I'm usually an early adopter with most throngs but not in the case of a 30k + watch. Just me , sure that others are different.
I'm more than sure that a special brand like FPJ in case of his death or bankruptcy, would be bought by Richemont or some other group, same for RM, they are special enough and have made their proofs for serious people to make them not disappear from the horological universe, so I wouldn't worry about servicing, some brands I would, not FPJ and RM...

I love the RG and ruthenium movements but prefer the ruthenium I think, it's very original, and from what I found not so heavy as gold, though heavier than SS
Old 12 June 2016, 06:43 AM   #17
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You stand corrected, it's cool. I was surprised to learn how hard rg can be. The vickers hardness for 24k gold is 30, the vickers hardness for the pink gold FPJ uses is at least 195, possibly higher.

As for serviceability, Mr. Journe started by repairing old clocks and watches. He wants his watches to be serviceable certuries later, just as the clocks and watches he repaired were. So, his movements are designed with that idea from the beginning.

In terms of the future, FPJ has its own watchmaking school. In-house, naturally. Mr. Journe has indeed planned for the future.

And @lapince, FPJ has already received big offers for buyouts...and declined. The plan already in place for the company after Mr. Journe is not a buyout. Kinda cool that Mr. Journe is on top of things this way.
Old 13 June 2016, 05:33 AM   #18
RUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You stand corrected, it's cool. I was surprised to learn how hard rg can be. The vickers hardness for 24k gold is 30, the vickers hardness for the pink gold FPJ uses is at least 195, possibly higher.

As for serviceability, Mr. Journe started by repairing old clocks and watches. He wants his watches to be serviceable certuries later, just as the clocks and watches he repaired were. So, his movements are designed with that idea from the beginning.

In terms of the future, FPJ has its own watchmaking school. In-house, naturally. Mr. Journe has indeed planned for the future.

And @lapince, FPJ has already received big offers for buyouts...and declined. The plan already in place for the company after Mr. Journe is not a buyout. Kinda cool that Mr. Journe is on top of things this way.
Wow good info!almost sounds like you work for them :)

Good to know anyway
Old 13 June 2016, 07:04 AM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I clearly am not in any way in the know about any plans to what should happen to them, it's very good if he already figured it out
Old 13 June 2016, 07:13 AM   #20
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
He's very bright.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 08:36 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very beautiful from the back.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 08:53 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
He's very bright.
Oh I have no doubt about this at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Very beautiful from the back.
LOL, they are interesting watches my friend but I do agree that the design is not really my cup of tea, though the movements are simply amazing maybe not as complex as a datograph let's say but clearly on a very high beauty level
Old 13 June 2016, 09:55 AM   #23
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow good info!almost sounds like you work for them :)

Good to know anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Yes I clearly am not in any way in the know about any plans to what should happen to them, it's very good if he already figured it out
Well guys, it's not that I want people to like or not like FPJ, but rather that I'd like people to be well-informed. I hope I've helped that here!
Old 13 June 2016, 11:17 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

It's an amazing brand, don't think any "well informed" watch lover could say the contrary, not really my style but few dress watches are, but I recognize the level of their watches, not an expert but IMHO would say they are one of the 5 top "small" independents
Old 13 June 2016, 11:25 AM   #25
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
It's actually allowed to not like FPJ. We are not like the PP and RM bully-boys.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 03:44 PM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

LOL, yeah some members are a little strange lately, if I didn't know that the whole climate change is a total scam I could think it is because of that, but since I know it is I don't have any logical explanation, oh apart from Texmex who always was like this, but a few members who were fine before are not anymore...
I like FPJ, they're just not for me...
Old 13 June 2016, 04:43 PM   #27
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
It's actually allowed to not like FPJ. We are not like the PP and RM bully-boys.
exactly...as a multiple owner i dont even like all the models
Old 14 June 2016, 12:04 AM   #28
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
exactly...as a multiple owner i dont even like all the models
It's impossible to like all models of one brand, there will always be some you like and some not, there are a few PP, AP, RM, ALS and all brands I really don't like, in ALS I like only Datograph, Timezone and Zeitwerk models, all the others are not for me. Of course there are brands I really do not like...