The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 March 2021, 11:07 PM   #1
guycalledfrank
"TRF" Member

My first Vintage Rolex

I want to buy my first vintage Rolex. This would be my first Rolex and my first watch over €500.

I am not a watch dude. I am a music/HiFi dude, and a whisky dude...but maybe this first Rolex will ignite my passion for quality watches.

So I have zero knowledge & experience with watches and I would appreciate your help very much. I want to buy a Rolex Vintage, ideally from 1978 like the Rolex Day-Date 18038 or the 18238. But I might consider other/older models alternatively!

Now my questions:
-Anything I wrong with my choice of models?
-Where to buy? I am currently living in Taiwan, but have another residence in Germany. Any shops/providers in Taiwan or Germany?
-Is buying online a risk?
-Anything else I should consider?

Looking forward to your replies...
Regards
Frank
guycalledfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 03:31 AM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guycalledfrank View Post
I want to buy my first vintage Rolex. This would be my first Rolex and my first watch over €500.

I am not a watch dude. I am a music/HiFi dude, and a whisky dude...but maybe this first Rolex will ignite my passion for quality watches.

So I have zero knowledge & experience with watches and I would appreciate your help very much. I want to buy a Rolex Vintage, ideally from 1978 like the Rolex Day-Date 18038 or the 18238. But I might consider other/older models alternatively!

Now my questions:

Great solid choices of classic models. Personally I would choose 1803 over 18038/238 just for the case being sleeker on the 1803 + the plexi glass over sapphire which gives the watch another layer of charm.

-Where to buy? I am currently living in Taiwan, but have another residence in Germany. Any shops/providers in Taiwan or Germany?

You can check the trusted dealer thread which is a sticky in the vintage section. I personally bought many watches from different trusted dealers on Chrono24.com

Choose the seller carefully, then there is a minimum risk

Lugs thickness, sharpness of the fluted bezel, bracelet stretch, complete bracelet with all links, service history...

Regards
Frank

I gave you some quick answers underneath your questions. I also love whisky btw!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:01 PM   #3
guycalledfrank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
I gave you some quick answers underneath your questions. I also love whisky btw!
Thanks man, this really means a lot to me! It takes the uncertainty to take the next steps to my first „real“ watch! Big thank you!!!
guycalledfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 03:05 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now my questions:

Regards
Frank
Hey Frank!

Cheers and Kudos for not looking for a GMT...or Submariner!

Day Date is a Hifi dude's watch! Mature! Refined...goes great with Tube Marrantz and McIntosh!

Vinyl sounds better in 18k.

Let's get even more haute...and go with the "vintage" Asian fashion...and skip the bulky 18k band and go with a genuine Rolex leather strap. You can find a lot of them in HK and Japan that never had bands because they sold them that way! Be even more stealth and go with 18028 or 18208....without the screaming fluted bezel! Alternative....plastic x-tal model 1802..or if you feel the need for the flutes...1803...for a more obscure piece...look at 1600 Datejust in 18k...or 1601 with flutes....in sapphire 3035 calibre 16008 or 16018. 3135 the impossible 16208 or fluted 16238.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 04:32 AM   #5
darrenho
"TRF" Member

Hi Frank,

There is a local (Taiwan) watch forum called "Watchbus" that is resembling TRF here. It is a well maintained website, if you could read Chinese.
You can get some info from there, as well as meet up with local guys or searching for watches for sale from local classifieds.

https://www.watchbus.com/modules.php?name=Forums
darrenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 02:21 AM   #6
EdwardNorton1963
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:

Now my questions:

Regards
Frank
I have also been in the market for my first vintage. It has taken me some time to really respect these time-pieces and now that I do fully uderstand them, I need one. I am very undecided but have been looking around. I really want a one off rare vintage Rolex similar to the 3359 Serpico y Laino Rolex. https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...aino-dial.html "Within the world of vintage Rolex collecting, it is the tiny, seemingly insignificant details that inspire interest among enthusiasts" Like they stated the dials are something special. I like the special aspect and rarity of these dials and hope to find one, good luck on your search my freind!
EdwardNorton1963 is offline   Reply With Quote