The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2020, 12:33 PM   #31
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
OP - do you mean:

1) The action of unscrewing and screwing down the crown (threading it onto the case)? I.e., as you are unscrewing it and screwing it?

2) Or do you mean after you've unscrewed it, and are pulling it out to set the date?

We seem to be getting answers/opinions on both scenarios. Since I'm on the list for a Hulk, I'm interested in hearing which you mean...

Thanks!

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:43 PM   #32
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
OP - do you mean:

1) The action of unscrewing and screwing down the crown (threading it onto the case)? I.e., as you are unscrewing it and screwing it?

2) Or do you mean after you've unscrewed it, and are pulling it out to set the date?

We seem to be getting answers/opinions on both scenarios. Since I'm on the list for a Hulk, I'm interested in hearing which you mean...

Thanks!

-Dan

#1...

But, it’s sometimes hard pulling out to the second and third setting to set date and time but not as big of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 12:46 PM   #33
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I noticed when I got my DJ (new from an AD) that it was a little rough pulling out to the set-date position. But it got easier over time -- or maybe I just learned the appropriate amount of force to use.

Hope you get the screwing/unscrewing issue straightened out!

-Dan
Old 12 January 2020, 12:57 PM   #34
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Can you explain this further? How new was the watch? It’s brand new so how can it be dirty?

I was as surprised as you are. It was a brand new watch I had it less than a month and in addition to the rough feeling when screwing down the crown when winding it was making some sort of a squeaking noise. Had to send it in to RSC for a full movement service or “check movement” according to their paperwork
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 01:19 PM   #35
bumbershoot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Sem View Post
I was as surprised as you are. It was a brand new watch I had it less than a month and in addition to the rough feeling when screwing down the crown when winding it was making some sort of a squeaking noise. Had to send it in to RSC for a full movement service or “check movement” according to their paperwork

How did that workout?

Old 12 January 2020, 01:34 PM   #36
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Got the watch back after 3 weeks, the threads on the crown are now good, the squeaking is gone but the watch came back with some minor scratches and a few dings on it. I wasn’t happy about that part.

Personally I don’t think I’ll be sending my watches to RSC and would rather have someone independent work on my watches after that experience.

Don’t get me wrong, there is some success stories for watches coming back like new after service and there is stories of 1 day old 30K Daytona’s with dinged lugs. You draw your own conclusions.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:05 PM   #37
ToddR82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Do you typically back wind between winding forward?
No never. Is this recommended?
ToddR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 03:59 PM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR82 View Post
No never. Is this recommended?
No recommendations in that regard.
It doesn't matter either way.

I was trying to get some insight into why you may be experiencing the feeling that it catches. That's all
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 04:25 PM   #39
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Buy a new, soft toothbrush. Gently unscrew the crown. Pull the crown out to its time setting position. (All the way) gently of course. Use the toothbrush to gently wipe the threads and as much of the stem clean, as you can. Then see if it’s better.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 06:47 PM   #40
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Took it to my AD and they agreed it’s a rough crown. I can send it to RSC but I’m hesitant. I had a new watch sent to RSC a year ago and it came back scratched. Even my AD today said they have had watches come back scratched and he won’t send his own there. So I’m hesitant and not sure what to do.

I might sell this grey and buy another grey that’s new.

Or I might take this to a local watch maker to get his opinion.

Is there a way to lubricate the crown without opening?

Really disappointed about this.

Use the warranty and see how it goes. Not every experience is a horror show.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:12 PM   #41
nevergiveup
Banned

Use silicone spray NOT wd 40 ! Pull the crown out to fullest position. Get a wooden tooth pick spray small amount not the pick and touch it around the treads of the crown. Screw in a few times. It will be a lot smoother. Use this for many years.
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 01:06 AM   #42
bumbershoot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
Use silicone spray NOT wd 40 ! Pull the crown out to fullest position. Get a wooden tooth pick spray small amount not the pick and touch it around the treads of the crown. Screw in a few times. It will be a lot smoother. Use this for many years.

Update. I used some dental floss to clean the threads and it’s like night and day. From rough to decently smooth. Cannot even believe this actually.

I’m going to go to a good local watch shop tomorrow and have him use the lube he has there.

Old 13 January 2020, 05:16 AM   #43
bumbershoot
Banned

The watch is winding much smoother now just from the dental floss. I am going to a watch shop today actually for a drop of lube.
Old 15 January 2020, 04:07 PM   #44
bumbershoot
Banned

Just to update if anyone's interested... So I started out with a very rough and terrible feeling crown when I screwed in and out. Like grinding on concrete. After using a simple dental floss method to get some serious improvement, I took to a watch a reputable watch shop in my City and they used a couple different lubricants on the threads and cleaned them beforehand.

All is well now and a huge relief for my new Sub.

Cheers.
Old 15 January 2020, 04:10 PM   #45
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Happy ending! Thanks for sharing your resolution with us!

-Dan
Old 15 January 2020, 04:54 PM   #46
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Fantastic. They should have finished this properly at the factory though.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:56 PM   #47
bumbershoot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Fantastic. They should have finished this properly at the factory though.
Don’t get me started on this. I was thinking “of all the subs why did I get this one?”

Anyways, happy ending but I now swear by the dental floss method and have now done all my watches.

I’m done buying for awhile but will mod some of my Seiko SKX’s and enjoy what I’ve got.
Old 15 January 2020, 08:45 PM   #48
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Where did the watch come from?

The triplock crown is the gold standard of screw down crown. All the ones I have ever handled have been consistently flawless in operation and perfect in feel..

In my opinion, no other crown is even close. They are that good.

My concern would be that the watch had abuse issues or that it may not be genuine....thats how uncharacteristic your issue is.
Right. Maybe it is suffering with PTSD?
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:11 AM   #49
Crownjunkie
"TRF" Member

I have experienced a couple of issues with my month old 116610LV. Foremost the watch requires greater effort with pulling the crown between the 2nd and 3rd positions in comparison with other Rolex watches in my collection. That will probably lessen in time.
The other issue is that the crown can be pulled out to the 2nd and 3rd positions, enabling their respective functions, and not appear to be fully extended. It is almost as if there is a spring in the crown stem that is not fully engaging at times and not allowing the crown to fully pop out.
For example while synchronizing the time the other day, I first wound the watch then pulled out the crown to stop the seconds hand at 12. I then was able to rotate the crown clockwise but it seemed to have some rotational resistance when doing so. This was not a gritty feeling. While advancing the hr/min hands, the crown suddenly popped out to the fully extended position and then the resistance disappeared. Not sure what to make of this.
Crownjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #50
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I have a feeling the tightness is just tight tolerance of the gaskets when new. All my 6 digit Trip Locks have loosened after a few months of normal use to a buttery smooth movement between positions. My 6 digit Sub was especially tight for what I was used to when new.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 08:42 AM   #51
AttentionToDetail
"TRF" Member

I just bought a 116610LN from a grey market dealer (came with box and papers, warranty card stamped october 2019) and the wind is rough. The odd thing is the first time I wound the watch from a dead stop, it was smooth! After letting the power reserve run down, I wound the watch again, and it was rough. I let the power reserve run all the way down again and tried winding. Still rough! I've read a bunch of the threads here about this issue, and it seems most people agree this is normal. That still doesnt feel good and leaves room for uncertainty.
AttentionToDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 04:30 AM   #52
smaneesint
"TRF" Member

Wow this thread is a year an half old! Glad to have found it though. Had gritty feeling on my 116610LV crown when screwing in/out just like the thread owner. Tried the dental floss method and it worked like a charm!
smaneesint is offline   Reply With Quote