The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 28 March 2019, 10:24 PM   #1
xliang23
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona 116509 - Strange Dial?

Hi everyone, my first post here, so please forgive me if anything is out of line.

I've been looking to buy a used White Gold Rolex Daytona 116509, and most of the styles (dials) I'm not the biggest fan of, until I saw this one listed by SantBlanc on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392262640113

I've never seen this dial on a white gold rolex before, so I'm wondering if you guys can help me with a couple of questions (I tried messaging the seller but did not receive a reply which is a bit suspicious):

1) Is this dial original from a 116509? If not, do you know where it's from?

2) If it's not original, does it lower the value of the watch? Is 22k USD for this watch in this condition a reasonable deal?

Much appreciate your help!
xliang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Quamby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xliang23 View Post
Hi everyone, my first post here, so please forgive me if anything is out of line.

I've been looking to buy a used White Gold Rolex Daytona 116509, and most of the styles (dials) I'm not the biggest fan of, until I saw this one listed by SantBlanc on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392262640113

I've never seen this dial on a white gold rolex before, so I'm wondering if you guys can help me with a couple of questions (I tried messaging the seller but did not receive a reply which is a bit suspicious):

1) Is this dial original from a 116509? If not, do you know where it's from?

2) If it's not original, does it lower the value of the watch? Is 22k USD for this watch in this condition a reasonable deal?

Much appreciate your help!
The dial is not original.

I wouldn't touch it.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 10:33 PM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have seen a dial similar to this in the past on white gold models, but I want to say it wasn't white but rather mother of pearl. I am sure an expert will come along shortly and correct me. There was however a dial produced very similar to this one on white gold models. I am just not 100% certain if the dial in these photos is exactly accurate.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 10:38 PM   #4
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I've seen that dial on a WG Daytona with a leather strap. Not sure about one with a WG bracelet.
Old 28 March 2019, 11:19 PM   #5
xliang23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I've seen that dial on a WG Daytona with a leather strap. Not sure about one with a WG bracelet.
Ah yes - something like this? https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...16519-wht.html

Just the second hand is red vs this leather strap one.
Old 28 March 2019, 11:20 PM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xliang23 View Post
Ah yes - something like this? https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...16519-wht.html

Just the second hand is red vs this leather strap one.
Yes.
Old 29 March 2019, 01:28 AM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Never saw that dial on a 116509. It could be the original dial was swapped, and if it does not have paperwork you will never know which dial it came with originally (unless sending to RSC)
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:19 AM   #8
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

SantBlanc...never done business with them and never will. Have seen many watches over the years where they flipped the dials, but were not entirely clear about that fact in the respective watch description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:15 AM   #9
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post
SantBlanc...never done business with them and never will.
Good to know ... there have been a couple of watches from them that I was interested in, but will avoid going forward.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:21 AM   #10
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Like stated that dial is from the WG Daytona 116519 on strap, if anything. Definitely not from the WG on bracelet. I would not buy it. I am not into modded/altered watches, plus the asking price is way too high for a non factory spec example.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:15 AM   #11
xliang23
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your feedback! I did find it suspicious that the seller didn't answer any of my emails asking about the dial.
Old 30 March 2019, 05:13 AM   #12
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Yes was on leather only never bracelet. I’ve seen Saint Blanc have a 116509 for sale with the black dial from a 116520. Wouldn’t trust them.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 07:51 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

I'm more bothered by the hands. I was looking at a bunch of PM Daytona pics, and it seems that a red seconds hand is always accompanied by additional red on the dial (besides the "DAYTONA" lettering). Could be red hands and/or outlines on the sub-dials, or the second/minute markers around the rim of the dial, but never just a red seconds hand.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 09:00 AM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The watch does have a dial that belonged to a 116519 as said by others. But ADs do replace dials. Any good watchmaker could too.

If you like that dial, then just buy a 116519. I’m guessing the original owner liked the dial enough to pay for a dial swap.

As for the red chrono hand, it did not come on 116519’s with that dial. But I like it as a user.

The price could be negotiated if you were inclined - but it is in the reasonable region for a WH Daytona on a bracelet. The fact that RSC might not work on it is a negotiating point - although the seller prolly doesn’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote