The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 4 November 2009, 12:01 AM   #1
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Next Pen

My (very nice) mother-in-law always wants to know what to get me for the holidays...

I am thinking this year I'd like to get another pen for the collection (I blame TRF/Steve for this - lol).

What would you good folks suggest for a ballpoint with yellow gold accents in the $400 - $500 range?
Old 4 November 2009, 12:19 AM   #2
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Check out the gift finder on FPH website. Use the gift finder function.....http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/
Old 4 November 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

That is very cool! Thanks!!! I have a couple of ideas now from there!

(still would welcome any suggestions)
Old 4 November 2009, 12:35 AM   #4
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
I bought my first pen yesterday, sorry I can't be of more help.

But, if I had a mother in law, I would definately point her in the Mb direction.
Old 4 November 2009, 12:56 AM   #5
shandy
Banned

This one is difficult as a ball point to some extent is a ball point, be it a bic or an MB so it is more about what appeals to you in appearence rather than quality of performance as you can pretty much get the same performance from a throw away as you can a very expensive one.

That being the case then Mont Blanc would be the obvious choice followed by Faber Castell, both very well made externally. The porsche design range from Faber Castell are beautifully made externally, they have a woven metal finish which is very attractive.

Of course I could not let this go without trying to convert you to a fountain pen and that price point there are some very fine examples out there!

There is a lot of stuff written about more expensive ball points writing better than cheaper ones but to be honest I have had an MB ball point and it really was no different in writing experience than a throw away you get from staples, felt nicer in the hand though!
Hope that helps
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 01:36 AM   #6
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Hope that helps
WOW - That is some great food for thought... I've always avoided fountain pens for two reasons:
  1. I have very bad handwriting
  2. Afraid of what an ink spill could do: especially to my shirts, which are custom made

I may consider a fountain pen as a desk pen, but to be honest, I don't really use a pen for anything other than signatures. Since my writing is SOOOoooo bad, I normally get fine point black ink....

So basically I just like to have nice looking pens in my pocket and I am all about ease of use (read: I am lazy as all get-out).

I have a nice display case with about 6 slots free still.

Thanks again for the information. Definitely good and something to consider!
Old 4 November 2009, 02:00 AM   #7
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
WOW - That is some great food for thought... I've always avoided fountain pens for two reasons:
  1. I have very bad handwriting
  2. Afraid of what an ink spill could do: especially to my shirts, which are custom made

I may consider a fountain pen as a desk pen, but to be honest, I don't really use a pen for anything other than signatures. Since my writing is SOOOoooo bad, I normally get fine point black ink....

So basically I just like to have nice looking pens in my pocket and I am all about ease of use (read: I am lazy as all get-out).

I have a nice display case with about 6 slots free still.

Thanks again for the information. Definitely good and something to consider!
No problems. I will let you into a secret. When I was young I had terrible handwriting and used to stutter a great deal. Apart from elecution lessons I was told to write with a fountain pen as it would help with my handwriting..It did.

I have tried ball points time after time but my hand writing looks similar to a crows tracks in the snow who is suffering from acute st vitus dance!

To this day my handwriting is appaling with ball point, it just runs away with me!

I understand your concerns about a fountain pen leaking but in all the years I have written with them (over 37) this has never happened to me, you just have to be careful on aircraft that's all.

A fountain pen would give your signature a magnificent flourish, especially with a stub nib which you would be able to get at that price point easily. One thing, I notice you said you use a fine point. Fine points are much less forgiving of ones handwriting in my experience, seeing as most of your writing is signature then a broader nib is very appropriate for that use, add a stub and even more so! A stub nib by the way is where the end of the nib is flat in profile with slightly rounded sides,( an italic is the same but with straight sides) it gives line variation and that line variation helps give ones handwriting more appeal.

If I still can't convince you then please at least try a roller ball, it will improve your handwriting over a ball point any day!

Once again, handwriting really improves with a fountain pen!

If I can be of any help just let me know, once one is on track with a good pen one never looks back!
Old 4 November 2009, 02:13 AM   #8
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Hmmm - I will consider the foutain pen, but maybe start off with a cheaper one to see if I like it or not. I'd hate to spend a lot of $ on something I won't use.

I have several roller balls. I love the way they feel on the paper, but too much ink is laid down at a time for my liking. It looks more like an ink blot than a signature!

Thanks again!
Old 4 November 2009, 02:27 AM   #9
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Hmmm - I will consider the foutain pen, but maybe start off with a cheaper one to see if I like it or not. I'd hate to spend a lot of $ on something I won't use.

I have several roller balls. I love the way they feel on the paper, but too much ink is laid down at a time for my liking. It looks more like an ink blot than a signature!

Thanks again!
That is a good idea, might be worth popping into a local pen store and picking up a lamy Safari just to get the feel of it, I think in your neck of the woods they can be had for around $20-$30 and they write very well indeed, ask if they can fit a broad nib and have a go with it, mind with what you said about the roller ball you might want to try a medium! Also with what you have said a medium nib rather than broad would be appropriate for any pen you get, the broad nib does lay down a lot more ink!

Also if you do go the fountain pen route avoid noodlers ink, it is very fine ink but is very free flowing in my experience! Waterman blue or black would be a good start!