The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 13 June 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Sea Dweller 16600 New Arrival! Mini Review.

Hey folks,

I've been quite a fickle Rolex fan over the past year plus. I've owned pretty much all of the Subs from 1680 to 14060 to 16610 to 116610 Sub-C and I've loved them all. Yet something keeps making me flip or trade my watches! The one that I had not seen yet was the Sea Dweller 16600. I arranged a very amicable trade recently with a highly-renowned TRF member and I've now been wearing my new M-serial 16600 for more than two days. Here are my initial impressions. Keep in mind that my context for this watch is that it would be too large for my wrist. I have small 6.5" wrists and had previously rejected the Omega PO on four occasions. So I was a little bit worried about the SD.

Weight and Wrist Feel + Presence
Let's get this out of the way first. I had been wearing only a 1680 Red Sub, mostly on NATO straps, so the 16600 was perhaps a 2x increase in weight if I want to exaggerate a little bit. When I first got it sized and on my wrist, I was like, "oh wow, feels like I just strapped a 1 lb weight to my wrist, get it off now!"

I was patient and gave it some time to break in on my wrist. It is indeed a heavier watch than what I've been wearing recently, but it turns out to be quite comfortable. It does have a beefy, thick case that is certainly taller than the Sub Dates I'd owned in the past. Yet it has a slightly smaller dimension that makes it float on the wrist and the caseback height pushes the crown up just far enough that it really can't dig into my wrist like other Subs have done in the past.

After wearing it for two days, I've forgotten all about the extra weight. It actually feels quite comfortable and pleasing to have the increased heft in a very manageable size. The big difference for me between this and the PO is that the SD has a smooth caseback that does not dig into my wrist at al. I look down upon this watch and I see a 14060M with a more muscular presence. It's very cool!

After owning a number of Rolex watches with lug holes and collecting a nice set of straps, I'm a little bummed about the extra effort to evacuate the bracelet without lug holes. Not the end of the world.

Bezel & Dial
This is interesting as the 16600 has a slightly smaller diameter and it is very subtle. It looks like a 14060M, but there's a date! I think the bezel may actually be a tiny bit wider than the 14060M, but not much different. The surround with teeth is much more substantial and taller than the no-date Sub. Quite handsome. The classic black insert is timeless and sharp with fat fonts intact like it is paying homage to its vintage ancesters.

The dial is that glossy black, like a pool of shiny oil. Very nice looking and picks up reflections from the smooth sweeping seconds hand. The markers are not maxi, but really all that is needed on this watch. I have owned vintage and modern Subs with larger plots...I think the matte style non-surround maxi plots are the best, but when you look at this watch vs. a 16610LV or 116610LN, this has a more stealth appearance without those ginormous WG plots. I like it.

The date wheel minus cyclops is intriguing. It has such a reduced size without the cyclops. The little date is almost comically tiny!!! It takes awhile to get used to this. I really wonder why Rolex switched to white date wheels and did away with the open 6 and 9 numerals. Bummer.

I've grown to strongly dislike engraved rehaut on any Rolex and I'm glad this one does not have it. Nice and clean!

Crystal
Nice thick sapphire crystal that stands noticeably proud of the bezel. Not nearly as tall as a 1680 top hat, but a marked difference from the 16610 Sub Date. Very cool with no cyclops as I have had a polarizing relationship with the cyclops. My eyes love the way a 1680 silver date wheel is magnified with a cyclops, but seeing the clean thick crystal completely unobstructed is indeed a thing of beauty.

Bracelet and Clasp
Standard issue pre-ceramic flip lock here with the SELs. I like it very much for its lightness and beauty, but really wish they had put one more removable link on the 6:00 side. My wrist is small and 5 links on this side is almost too much. I know many people have removed a perm link, but this is invasive and I'm not quite ready to do it. The clasp is really not centered at all and the head leans towards the 12:00 side, but in all honesty, it is not much different than what I've experienced with the 93150 bracelets. I can live with it. In a perfect world, I'd have a Sub-C glidelock clasp on this watch and all would be well with the world.

Wish List
  • Lug holes
  • One more removable link on the 6:00 side
  • Glidelock clasp
  • Silver date wheel
  • Open numeral 6 and 9 on the date wheel

That pretty much sums it up for the 16600 SD based on 48 hours of observation. The movement seems pretty stable at about +2-3 sec per day, but I have not been micro-managing this aspect of the watch.

As a previous Sub-C owner, I must say that the SD is a little bit more stealth on the wrist given its classic lugs and slightly smaller diameter. I've often wanted the 14060 to be my one and only Sub, but I am so dependent on the date that I can't really do the 14060 every day (good weekend watch).

I hope this is helpful. Here's a quick photo I snapped in the driveway today while waiting for my family to join me for a trip to the pool.

Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Now that is a serious review! Congrats and great write up!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Good review.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Excellent review of an excellent watch!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Ducky
"TRF" Member

Watch: ducks ina row
I enjoyed reading your very informative review, thanks!
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 09:59 AM   #6
chicagofan
"TRF" Member

Nice review of a great watch. Congrats.
chicagofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

Good on you, such a classic. I do wish it had better lume.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Nice. You should copy this and put it in the review section.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Congrats Eric. I think it looks great on you. Stick with it.......I hope it becomes a keeper for you

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! Here's another photo from the same impromptu iPhone session. This gives you a better idea for how it sits on my wrist most of the time.

Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Michael M.
Banned

Very nice review!!Congrats on a true classic
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:20 AM   #12
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Great review.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
globalmedia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:25 AM   #13
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Great job. Congrats on a Classic!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Nugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Good on you, such a classic. I do wish it had better lume.
That's really my only complaint about mine. The lume is very weak and doesn't last long at all.
Nugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 12:21 PM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
have you tried it on a nato?

the weight really disappears.

i agree lugholes are missed (i just got the M SD myself)
and also pleased there is no rehaut engraving!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ha I.jpg (226.4 KB, 3889 views)
Old 13 June 2011, 01:06 PM   #16
imaddhatter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Great review, I always like reading other SD owner's reviews
imaddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 07:37 PM   #17
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Nice aquisition!

The classic SD is a winner!
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Patrick Lim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post

Bracelet and Clasp
Standard issue pre-ceramic flip lock here with the SELs. I like it very much for its lightness and beauty, but really wish they had put one more removable link on the 6:00 side. My wrist is small and 5 links on this side is almost too much. I know many people have removed a perm link, but this is invasive and I'm not quite ready to do it. The clasp is really not centered at all and the head leans towards the 12:00 side, but in all honesty, it is not much different than what I've experienced with the 93150 bracelets. I can live with it. In a perfect world, I'd have a Sub-C glidelock clasp on this watch and all would be well with the world.
[/IMG]
Excellent review!

I faced similar issue with the SD which I have just acquired.
Decided to leave the watch as it is even though the clasp is not centred.
Small sacriface to pay for a timeless classic!

And as you have pointed out, removal of the cyclop makes a (small) world of difference on the wrist!
Old 13 June 2011, 09:08 PM   #19
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Very nice review! And congrats to a great watch!

Like you I have slim wrists, and find that the slightly smaller dial on the 16600 and the 14060 offers a more proportional look. I'm fine with the traditional 16610 too, but the most comfortable Submariner I've experienced so far is the Tudor 79090 with the same case as the 1680, but a flatter caseback, that works very nice for my flat wrist.

I would argue that the 16600 was the last real tool watch produced by Rolex. An automatic, reliable watch as a back up to the dive computer for professional saturation divers.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 10:17 PM   #20
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
great review. I did the same thing, I had the new subC, couldnt get used to the lugs sticking out over my arm. I had a regular sub, but really never liked the bracelet, I love the sea dweller, its bezel is cut different or something than a submariner, its more shiny like diamonds. I have received more looks withk my dweller than any of my other rolexes. Like you I dont like the etched rehaults anymore. The dweller is tight, its a great watch.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:01 PM   #21
chillviper
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Great review! I sent my SD to the RSC and they removed a permanent link. It fits perfectly and the clasp is centered. Now, all it takes is a toothpick to adjust the clasp a bit if I need more room.
chillviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2011, 11:13 PM   #22
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Congrats. This is the ultimate all-around dive watch ever produced. Period.
Old 14 June 2011, 04:39 AM   #23
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Eric, nice pick-up. As stated above, if the watch is a keeper for you, remove the perm link on the 6 o'clock side. It's a DIY job or the RSC can do it. You can always regain length by adding screwed links if need be.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2011, 11:39 PM   #24
cpo
"TRF" Member

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

I too have smaller wrists, but enjoy larger watches. There is something about the heft of the SD case on such a light bracelet that I finally gave in and removed one of the permanent links on the 6 side. Did it myself with two pairs of vice grips. I haven't regretted that move for a second. It sits nicer on the wrist now for me. I do wear NATO straps often, and once the strap is cinched around the wrist (snug - but not tight) the weight completely disappears. I've never owned a lug hole watch, so working with the concealed springbars is just something I am used to.

I love my watch. I love seeing other people who enjoy it as well. Congrats!

cpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2011, 11:47 PM   #25
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Your review was great to read...thanks Eric

I've always liked the SD..and now I want one even more

In time

Great to see you enjoying yours so much

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 01:11 AM   #26
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Great Write up!

I would ask you to try flipping the clasp round as I have a 14060m and suffered the same clasp issues as you.

Whilst flipping the clasp round doesn't centre it completely it does help with the way the watch sits on your wrist.

Try it and see.
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 02:06 AM   #27
steubi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
Great review Eric, thank you very much.

I own a SD 16600 and this watch will never go! It is a true Rolex classic, almost no changes for the last decades of years.

Enjoy it!

Tom
steubi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2011, 09:23 AM   #28
1watchaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Serti
I LONG to own a SD 16600!! It is definitely my next Rolex. All other watch purchases are on hold until I can count up enough pennies to make it happen!!
1watchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 12:23 AM   #29
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2011, 01:08 PM   #30
mlotus95
Banned

Watch: GMT master II
great review.
mlotus95 is offline   Reply With Quote